"Dude Breaking Bad, Breaking Bad. You've gotta watch Breaking Bad" NOOOOO!!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

bartholen:
I, too, was told by so many people to watch it. I did, the whole first season. It was fine, but I didn't feel a compulsive urge to continue it any further. There weren't enough threads left hanging that made me want to see their conclusion. Also, oddly, it was really emotionally draining and heavy. Something about it was just uncomfortable to watch.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! he second season picks it up, and soon every episode, especially finales will have youncominback for more. And that discomfort is replaced with the positive vibe of a man reborn. Do it.

It's just the nature of fandom, OP. I'm sure you're passionate about something and that it's a subject you have real difficulty evangelizing or talking about. You can't really expect fans to shut up about what they like - the trick is to very politely reply that their fandom doesn't interest you. If they have the slightest amount of consideration and maturity, they'll remember that and won't feel insulted or slighted by it.

I've maybe preached to the Church of Heisenberg once since the show started airing, and my friends still haven't picked it up. I won't tear myself apart over it, much in the same way my seriously Brony buds know not to heckle me with episode summaries when all I'm really interested about in MLP is the meta-humour and Discord storylines.

Because yes, I'm a John de Lancie fan.

As for Game of Thrones; let's just say I know not to wax on about Westeros to my Fantasy-challenged family. I've simplified the underlying mechanics of the show by describing it as "The Accursed Kings" with Fantasy names swapped in - and that got them to get the gist of what was going on. Political intrigue, pussyfooting, betrayal, schmoozing - and the occasional White Walker or dragon sighting, just to spice things up.

I've watched only two episodes of the show and from what I've seen, it's very good.

If only I could watch more episodes on Youtube. But no, it looks like I'll need to get Netflix or something to watch the rest of the series. :(

martyrdrebel27:
And that discomfort is replaced with the positive vibe of a man reborn. Do it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

(15 minutes later)

...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Ha! Heh. NO.

Breaking Bad is an amazing show, one of the best on television, but there aren't any positive vibes to be found. Walt just gets worse and worse as time goes on.

IamLEAM1983:
It's just the nature of fandom, OP. I'm sure you're passionate about something and that it's a subject you have real difficulty evangelizing or talking about. You can't really expect fans to shut up about what they like - the trick is to very politely reply that their fandom doesn't interest you. If they have the slightest amount of consideration and maturity, they'll remember that and won't feel insulted or slighted by it.

I've maybe preached to the Church of Heisenberg once since the show started airing, and my friends still haven't picked it up. I won't tear myself apart over it, much in the same way my seriously Brony buds know not to heckle me with episode summaries when all I'm really interested about in MLP is the meta-humour and Discord storylines.

Because yes, I'm a John de Lancie fan.

As for Game of Thrones; let's just say I know not to wax on about Westeros to my Fantasy-challenged family. I've simplified the underlying mechanics of the show by describing it as "The Accursed Kings" with Fantasy names swapped in - and that got them to get the gist of what was going on. Political intrigue, pussyfooting, betrayal, schmoozing - and the occasional White Walker or dragon sighting, just to spice things up.

I think another big part of it is that we humans are social animals, and we like sharing our experiences and talking about them. There comes a time in every nerds life (sports nerds,too) where they find themselves liking a thing that not many people around them like as well, if any. So, they seek to evangelize them. And lets not forget that all individuals seeking to do this have the tact required for the task. So I just leave it at that. But the thing is, its made even more difficult when you have friends, who based upon previous evidence, might find appeal in whatever it is you are interested in. Your example with MLP is what I'm talking about, there are tons of things that contribute to why its so big, and one of those things happens to key into an interest, John De Lancie.

Most people mean well, though. I think that's important to remember.

Lionsfan:
I feel like this fits here perfectly

Also, I tend to agree. Breaking Bad/Game of Thrones/Walking Dead are 3 shows that everyone I know is always going on and on about. Freaking annoying after a while

Heh, that's perfect. Was at a party a while ago and an acquaintance said pretty much that.
"Breaking Bad is so fucking awesome, and The Wire too."

Personally I'm rewatching Breaking Bad at the moment. Love that show, apart from some annoying characters(Skyler and the breakfast kid who can't decide on a name). I watched it without anyone telling me how awesome/perfect it was though, so came in with no expectations other than the perfect beard. My reality broke when I found out it was fake.

Watch it when/if you feel like it, OP, and tell your friends to shut up.
Or you could just watch it. Now.

OP, i really hope there is nothing you're passionate about and NEVER recommend it to people or get excited about.

I really want to watch Breaking Bad but I'm terrified of bald people and the primary protagonist/anti-hero appears to be bald u_u

martyrdrebel27:
No seriously, you HAVE to watch breaking bad. Best show on television. Everything is just... Wow. Once you really dial in on the style and tone, every little detail is suddenly a huge thing... Best developed characters, the plot. Ugh... Just go watch it and we'll shut up. Then you'll be doing the same thing I'm doing right now.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

This is the kind of shit that needs to stop.

It's one of those shows that people have hyped up so much that it for those of us who haven't seen it, you've kinda ruined it for us. Everyone I know tells me to watch it, that it's the best thing ever on TV, blah blah blah. It's a massive turn off. It's the exact same reason so many games were ruined for me, people to this day still say Bioshock is a masterpiece when it's extremely average at best.

If we want to watch the show, we will. Constantly going on about how it's the best thing ever isn't going to make us watch it.

I've had a couple friends recommend Breaking Bad to me, and the basic premise is so unappealing, I don't want to try it. Let's see

Guy dying of cancer (don't want to watch that for several reasons) starts making illegal drugs (ok that part is only mildy bad) to raise money to pay for drugs.

Just no, thanks

I watched one episode with my mom a couple months back. Walt's helper was playing Rage or something and was recalling some memory and was freaking out, I really can't remember. But I do know I was bored and not very interested. I don't mind the drama part, I'm just not big on crime. Same reason I won't watch One Piece. I hear it is a great anime, well I don't like pirates so I ain't gonna watch it.

Lilani:
I have little desire to see it, as well. I have no doubt it's of great quality and well written, but a story about a dude who starts making meth to support his family and has to deal with the consequences and such just doesn't seem appealing to me. I might watch it with my boyfriend, but on my own I'd rather watch other things.

Exactly my thoughts. Some plots just don't appeal to certain people. I mean yeah, it's been scientifically proven that Babylon 5 is the greatest TV show ever but if you don't like sci-fi then I'm not going to force it onto you.

yeah this^
quote unquote whatever

no but seriously watch breaking bad

Alfador_VII:
I've had a couple friends recommend Breaking Bad to me, and the basic premise is so unappealing, I don't want to try it. Let's see

Guy dying of cancer (don't want to watch that for several reasons) starts making illegal drugs (ok that part is only mildy bad) to raise money to pay for drugs.

Just no, thanks

When does he pay for drugs? The money's meant to be for his family.

Elfgore:
I watched one episode with my mom a couple months back. Walt's helper was playing Rage or something and was recalling some memory and was freaking out, I really can't remember. But I do know I was bored and not very interested. I don't mind the drama part, I'm just not big on crime. Same reason I won't watch One Piece. I hear it is a great anime, well I don't like pirates so I ain't gonna watch it.

If i recall correctly though, that episode is in like series 3 or 4? If your going to give it a go, at least watch it from the start before judging it lol.

That said, I have watched it, and it is very good. Its not the best thing since sliced bread like some people make out though....

I like Malcome in the Middle too much to watch Breaking Bad. That is, one I prefer comedies. Being series is boring, and two, Hal! The stressed whipped humourous dad, not the bald drug dealer...

What is the discussion value here? 'I have not watched this show but I might at some point but also shut up about it.' Ok, great. More annoying than people going on about their favourite show all the time are people who complain about it without knowing the slightest thing about it.

Frankly, breaking bad sucks. I tried watching it, watched the first 2.5 episodes, couldn't continue. And I'll watch just about anything. It really isn't that good.

I think it's more annoying being someone who did watch the show, but thought it was shit. And I actually was interested in it from hearing the premise, but was let down massively by the execution.

Hearing everyone constantly going on about how amazing it is, just leaves me more and more annoyed, and baffled about what they see in it.

Lionsfan:
I feel like this fits here perfectly

Also, I tend to agree. Breaking Bad/Game of Thrones/Walking Dead are 3 shows that everyone I know is always going on and on about. Freaking annoying after a while

I immediately thought of that family guy too...Wasn't that episode on this weekend?
My wife likes Breaking Bad but I just couldn't get into it. It's not funny at all.
All the characters are either pathetic, pricks, or pathetic pricks.
I do like Game of Thrones but there aren't too many people I would recommend it to. Mostly other fantasy geeks like me who read those goofy Forgotten Realms & Dragonlance books when we were kids.

spartan231490:
Frankly, breaking bad sucks. I tried watching it, watched the first 2.5 episodes, couldn't continue. And I'll watch just about anything. It really isn't that good.

You might not like it but you can't say it sucks if you've only watched 2.5 episodes of it. That's 1/30 of the show.

GonzoGamer:

My wife likes Breaking Bad but I just couldn't get into it. It's not funny at all.

...Ok, it's not a comedy though you do know that right?

Is everyone here familiar with a guy called micheal collins. Well he was an astronaut, he was on the apollo 11 mission with buzz aldrin and neil armstrong. You probably havent heard of him because he didnt go on the moon instead he remained in the orbiter while his buddies skipped around on the moon. Imagine how shit micheal collins mustve felt when he travelled all the way into space but had to wait in the ship while is friends played on the moon. He is essentially just an intergalactic taxi driver

If you dont watch breaking bad then you are essentially micheal collins, you will have missed out on something incredible. Sure you might have gone into space but you havent watch breaking bad

Spot1990:

GonzoGamer:

LOL What?!
Then why is Bryan Cranston in it? That guys hilarious.

I thought it was one of those comedies that are just weird and grotesque.... like MASH, Tim & Eric, or The Sopranos.

But like dude... you have to watch Breaking Bad :P. No seriously, it's a great show and I highly recommend it but I'd definitely wait until you can just watch it all in one go. This waiting a whole week for a new episode is killing me.

Eh it was honestly very over rated.

I watched it and went "well I guess its okay"
I still dont get the appeal today.

... I've only had one person tell me to watch Breaking Bad. And he's usually got pretty good taste in TV. He has the DVDs and has offered to show them to me, but he has to get time off from work to actually VISIT me to do so (said friend lives, like, a 12 hour drive away).

I'd visit him, but then I'd need someone to baby sit the whole time I was gone (as well as time off of my own work) so since arranging one difficult thing is easier than arranging two difficult things to coincide at the same time, it's kinda on him if he really wants me to see it that badly.

I have Hulu Plus, and Breaking Bad isn't on there. I can afford both Hulu Plus and Netflix, so that isn't happening.

Still, it looks kinda good, and this is the same friend who introduced me to Dexter (which I quite enjoy) and School Days, so I'm pretty sure I'll like it if I get the chance to watch it.

GonzoGamer:

Spot1990:

GonzoGamer:

LOL What?!
Then why is Bryan Cranston in it? That guys hilarious.

I thought it was one of those comedies that are just weird and grotesque.... like MASH, Tim & Eric, or The Sopranos.

Ever heard of Tom Hanks syndrome, or playing against type?

There is some black comedy in there (the bathtub scene in season 1) but it's at heart a drama rather than a comedy. I'd be very wary of going into something with assumptions based solely on the people acting in a series / film.

Anyway.

I don't get people telling me to watch Breaking Bad, I just get people saying it's fantastic.

And I have watched it, and it's fantastic.

So because it's cool to watch, I imagine it's now also going to become (if it hasn't already) cool to hate, better before it got all popular, etc, because the internet is a tiresome and predictable creature.

If you don't want to watch it, that's fair enough. Just don't make yourself out to be some sort of paragon as a result.

Spot1990:

spartan231490:

You might not like it but you can't say it sucks if you've only watched 2.5 episodes of it. That's 1/30 of the show.

It's almost 3 hours, that's enough for two movies. If it hadn't gotten it's shit in gear by then, then even if it did eventually get it's shit together it isn't a good show.

spartan231490:

Spot1990:

spartan231490:

It's almost 3 hours, that's enough for two movies. If it hadn't gotten it's shit in gear by then, then even if it did eventually get it's shit together it isn't a good show.

It's still 1/30 of the story. Most shows like that are slow to start. It's the equivalent of the first 3-4 minutes of a movie. Apart from excellent shooting, very subtle and creative character development and foreshadowing, superb pacing and excellent performances there's a really interesting story that you barely scratched the surface of. It's one of the most critically acclaimed shows of all time. Whatever about not liking it but don't act like you not liking it makes it bad. It's not The Room.

Had the same thing with Lost. Was forced to watch season 2 and it was total shit. Loads of padding to stretch a story. What rubbish.

I agree, it's on my list of shows that I'll watch at some point, but there are a LOT of things ahead of it. I'll actually probably get flamed even more than you on this one, but Game of Thrones is right there with me. I KNOW that I'll love it, and I know it's something I have to see, I just haven't been able to bring myself to start it, in part because I want to read the books first, and in part because at a time in my life when watching a television show feels like a daunting task, I feel like I should probably be focusing on other things...

I WILL get to it though. haha.

Spot1990:

spartan231490:

Spot1990:

It's still 1/30 of the story. Most shows like that are slow to start. It's the equivalent of the first 3-4 minutes of a movie. Apart from excellent shooting, very subtle and creative character development and foreshadowing, superb pacing and excellent performances there's a really interesting story that you barely scratched the surface of. It's one of the most critically acclaimed shows of all time. Whatever about not liking it but don't act like you not liking it makes it bad. It's not The Room.

Yeah, there's a difference between starting slow, in which case the first few eps would be slow and not really get into the heart of the show, and what Breaking Bad did, which was have 2.5 episodes that were actively horrible.

spartan231490:

Spot1990:

spartan231490:

Yeah, there's a difference between starting slow, in which case the first few eps would be slow and not really get into the heart of the show, and what Breaking Bad did, which was have 2.5 episodes that were actively horrible.

That's just like your opinion man. What exactly didn't you like about the episodes? Not enough action? I'd say in 3 episodes going from mild mannered high school teacher to a dude who

qualifies as action. I'm not saying your wrong for disliking it, I hate Lord of the Rings but I wouldn't try to act like it's objectively bad. I just don't like it. It's not Plan 9 From Outer Space.

I've seen the first few episodes on Netflix, and though it's certainly very well written and acted, I'm not overly ken on it. Just not really my thing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked