Across the Four Great Islands (Fantasy RP) *Now Recruiting Again*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Galath Arena- Ring

IC: Geran Ki'vul

"Very well then." Ki'vul said. This was turning into a learning oppurtunity as well, he could finally learn what these people meant by a clean fight. Finally he adjusted his shield one last time and them fell into a stance opposite Capricorn. Waiting for Capricorn to begin th fight.

Tag: Tiki

Galath

IC: Jeistan D'Terehei

Jeistan, realizing that his match was probably approaching, decided to make his way to the Arena. He did so, with the intention of resting up a bit before his fight with Malto. He knew it would be a challenge, but he was ready.

TAG: Tiki

Galath Arena - Ring

IC: Capricorn

Capricorn watched at the human adjusted his shield, without even drawing a weapon. What's this guy's strategy? Does he use his fists too?

"Well, if you aren't going to strike first, I guess I shall!" Capricorn shouted out. He crouched into an attack position, and began to charge forward, horns first. His club end sparked with lighting that trailed down his path, crackling thunder accompanying his rapid footsteps.

TAG: Captainguy42, Tirin

Galath Arena - Rec Room

IC: Marc Firewing

The gnome surprised him and stopped him in his tracks. "What was that about, human?" he asked. Marc had always heard that Caultic Gnomes were a bit nosy and angry, but Marc wasn't going to judge one based on some silly stereotype.

"Oh, hello. I'm sorry, did I make a lot of noise?" Marc apologized, giving a smile and scratching his head. "I was just taking a bit too much of the shopkeeper's time, and he got angry. I'm sorry if I disturbed you. My name's Marc, and this is my friend Ember." The human extended a hand down to the gnome.

Before Dalji was given a chance to shake it, however, Jeistan coughed loudly behind him for a chance to get inside. "Oh, sorry sir." Marc apologized again. Ember pecked Marc's face in an annoyed fashion, who let out a small "Ow."

TAG: Saifai, Jeistan

Galath Arena - Seating

IC: ?????

Strolling through the crowd with ease was a man, eyes wrapped in a blindfold. The other patrons, pitying him for his disability, let him by without any trouble, only later realizing that he couldn't see any of the fights to begin with. It got them a little more riled up, of course, but by that time he was seated, and had no reason to care about the temper of those in the line.

He observed the arena in silence, waiting patiently for the fighters to emerge, to give him something to look at other than the seething masses. His mind was on other things, either way. Hm... All the rumors about an attack here, but nothing to show even a lick of truth... He inhaled deeply, the scent of sweat, blood, and sand filling his nostrils before he let it go.

And yet... I've got a feeling, a feeling of dread... The sort I get when I'm going to my 'death' yet again, against someone powerful, but much more subtle. Probably some powerful but small-time evil spellcaster. Finally, he sighed heavily, stretching his arms and neck, deciding not to worry about it any further. May as well just enjoy the combat, I guess... Unless something comes up, I should just act like a normal citizen.

TAG: Tikishades

Galath Arena- Ring

IC: Ki'vul Geran

Ki'vul was ready for Capricorn's attack. Years of training had taught him the right foot position and movement to minimize the force of such an offensive. He began to take a step to the right, while swinging the shield mid-step. The shield intercepted the club and parried it away, angeling the force away from his body. However the lighting it was charged with arced through Ki'vul's arm, it caused his muscles to spasm and cramp, and burned the backside of his hand.

Goddamn, lying bastard, this is what he calls a clean fight!? I should rip him apart and feed his guts to the crows. Ki'vul thought as he grimaced, the tattoos on his arm responded to his thoughts, and began to glow. Not yet, I'll let him make one more pass. He thought.

Instead he pulled his shield back, and backhanded with it, but the lightning had it's effect, the strike was much more feeble than what he could normally muster.

Galath Arena - Rec Room

IC: Dalji the Giant-Killer

"No, I think humans are just loud by nature, so no need to apologize." Dalji said humorously. So, the shopkeeper was not only rude to his customers he probably forced this young human into buying a purchase that he may not have needed. Humans seemed quick to cheat other humans. The Cautic Gnomes pay back their debts gladly, but someone such as Dalji wouldn't stand for corrupt merchants.

"Well met, Marc. I am Dalji." Dally was use to different customs of greeting, but he had been practicing to the human standard greeting. To a human though his greeting may still come off as gruff in comparison. No one could say that Dalji didn't try the native customs. To Ember Dalji attempted to make a chirping sound. Dalji wasn't sure he knew any dialect of the surface animals, but he tried not to worry about such details.

Dalji reached up to shake the human's hand when he was rudely interrupted. "You sir," Dalji said pointing to Jeistan. "Do you wish to quarrel with me? Am I not fit to shake this man's hand?" Dalji said with a clear indication of malice.

TAG: Tiki, Jeistan

Galath Arena - Seating Entrance

IC: Tronfros Gronintur

Tronfros nodded, taking one last careful look at the hooded man before abruptly turning away from the Arena and heading back the way he had come, shoving his way through the crowd. The people had become even more agitated, now that the duels had begun and they were missing out. Several of the mob were even brave enough to yell curses at Tronfros, as long as they had a sufficient number of people between them and the towering beast. He paid no heed to them, though, and continued trudging his way to the Knight's Court Inn.

The only difference was that there were now several barrier signs staked into the ground around the ruined and unstable building, warning civilians not to enter. The minotaur ignored these, stepping over the remains of the wall and descending quickly into the pit. When he reached the bottom, Tronfros removed his totem from it's sling and planted it in the mud nearby, setting Raz'nak on top so he could observe. Ironically, the rude little chatterbox seemed to blend perfectly with the animal skulls and feathers that adorned the top of the staff.

Then he went to work, crouching down and using his massive hands to scoop away great mounds of dirt as he burrowed downward in search of Raz'nak's body. He found the first of it fairly quickly, and in only a few minutes the skeletal's skeleton was lying in a muddy, confusing heap at the base of the totem.

"Alright, there is your body. Now, what do we do about the hooded man? Who do you think he is?" Tronfros asked, wiping the dirt and grime off his arms.

Knight's Court Inn

IC: Raz'nak

With his body now fully functioning again, Raz'nak stood up with renewed vigor. But no revitalization could overcome the emotion that flooded his mind.

"That hooded man is not... Rather, he is... otherworldly. He's not natural. He's a being that can't logically seem to exist." Raz'nak stammered. He could tell that Tronfros would not understand with what little he had said. The skeletal sighed and scratched his skull with bony fingers; an old human habit he forgot he still had.

Raz'nak pointed at his eye sockets. They were without eyes, being covered by an unnaturally dark shadow. "As you can see, I cannot. I'm a skeletal; we don't have eyes. We see magical energy. It radiates from living things in a way that we can sense it magically. Then we use our own magical energy to sense the physical world. Even if someone is invisible or in a non-physical form, I can still see them. But that hooded... thing... it was only physical. It didn't have any magical energy. But the mana around it was completely concentrated and thick."

Raz'nak shook his head. What do we do? This might be a power that I can't defeat... But... I don't know anything about this... I've read countless books, but never in my studies have I found something like this... The skeletal began to strut toward the library, making a motioning movement with his hand. He was too deep in thought to try and say more.

TAG: Yorgmiester

Galath Arena - Ring

Capricorn turned around and frowned. "Careful, friend. My cudgel is not something you wish to block with a metal shield." His cudgel's lighting begins to die out. "It would be wise to dodge it, rather than take the blow. Stay light on your feet, friend." The minotaur instructed Ki'vul. His voice echoed into the ever-growing crowd. "I'll come at you again, and you try to dodge the blow." His cudgel begins to glow with lighting again, and begins to spark as before as he charges at his opponent.

TAG: Captainguy42

Somewhere in Galath - Jimmy's Hideout

IC: The "Announcer"

He spit up blood, and watched another tooth fall onto the stone ground. Or was it a wall? Or the ceiling? It felt like suspended space. Nothing was making sense. Sometimes his kidnapper would say things that he could not hear, and would be beaten for it. He couldn't feel anymore. All he knew was that he was not to give up any information. Doing so meant punishment worse than death. He would not betray the Syndicate to the likes of the Black Dusk.

The next bludgeon could be felt, however. His senses returned. "Answer me, dammit!" his kidnapper yelled, whose hands now coiled around his neck. "How. Do. I. Find. The Syndicate?" Oh yes, he had forgotten. He had mentioned the Syndicate. He would pay dearly for that. If anything were to get out... No, of course not. They do well to hide the name. He would be fine, he hoped.

It was all for the better, he had considered. At least now this asshole would be too busy torturing him to react to the events soon to be happening at the Arena.

TAG: Everyone

Knight's Court Inn

Tronfros nodded, following Raz'nak towards the library. He wasn't sure what help he would be, as he could read very little of the human writing, but he would go nonetheless. Perhaps there wold be an assassination attempt, and the little skeletal would need defending, but somehow Tronfros doubted that as well.

"What are we looking for?" he asked as they arrived. The stingy-looking bookkeeper glared at the hulking minotaur as he ducked into the building, his booming voice resonating rather loudly through the quiet place. He snorted at the spectacled human, then turned back to the room, looking around with interest at the vast rows of books. It would be the perfect place for him, if he could read any of it.

Galath Arena-Ring

IC: Ki'vul Geran

Ki'vul stood his ground again, he wouldn't let this cow tell him what to do no matter how badly it would hurt him. He angled his body again and brought his shield to bare against the club, gritting his teeth. When the club came it felt stronger than before, it sent Ki'vul reeling backwards, his shield arm ached horrible, his bicep had cramped and his fingers were twitching beyond his control. But Ki'vul smiled. The last attack had sent his mind blazing with hatred, hatred that he now wanted to share.

He found his footing and charged Capricorn, holding his shield close to his chest and his right arm back behind him. He then swung his fist forward, in mid air his arm seemed to burst into crimson flames, and at it's apex the flames solidified into a long wicked telekinetic blade.

Galath Arena - Ring

Capricorn felt the lightning course from his club into his opponent. After Capricorn ended his charge, he sighed. Turning around, Capricorn called out, "Ki'vul, you really should listen. A dodge would have been much more eff-" Capricorn's words were interrupted by the long stab of a telekinetic blade. The minotaur's brow twisted from sympathy into ferocity. The cudgel's lightning flicked out almost instantly as Capricorn thrusted a fist forward into the man's head. A pulse of energy knocked Capricorn backward and out of the sword's hold on him. "That was an... nnn, an impressive strike." Capricorn winced, holding his side. Capricorn gritted his teeth, and shook it off. "Don't begin to think that this is over yet! I've got plenty more where that came from!"

TAG: Captainguy42

Galath Library

The skeletal moved quickly through the bookshelves, weaving in and out of them, picking up books seemingly at random and putting them into Tronfros's hands without slowing down. Periodically, he'd ask questions like "How much Human can you read?" and "What kind of magic do you use?" Finally, he stopped at a table and began to remove books from Tronfros's possession until only two were left. He spread his books out in front of a chair and opened four of them to the first page.

The skeletal turned to his minotaur companion. He lifted the first book to Tronfros's eyes, which depicted a table covered in maps with small figurines and flag's placed on top of them, with the title "The Adventurer's Tactical Approach" in big letters. "This book explains a lot of basic battle plans used for small parties. I analyzed your attack strategy. You're slow-moving, but you have a strong spell that has a wide attack range, plus your staff that projects a protection spell. You're smart. I figure that you'll make an ample commander."

He then lifted the second book. It showed a minotaur clad in animal skins and small pieces of metal armor standing on a cliff overlooking a beautiful river valley. The title "Protormal: The Unfrozen" was embedded into the rocks the minotaur stood on. "Protormal is a famous warrior said to have been frozen in ice for centuries until it melted and caused him to come back alive. Rather, it is fiction, but his tactics are feasible and his magic is true. You might learn a thing or two about ice magic from this book."

The skeletal nodded and sat down in front of the other books. His hand turned pages of the books as he read each of them simultaneously.

Galath Library

Tronfros stared at the books quizzically for a few moments, then picked them up and moved to the other side of the table, pushing the chair aside and crouching down on his haunches, as was his habit in these half-sized human environments.

Settling into a comfortable position, he began his examination of the first book, the one on tactics. The first page was mostly words, so he skipped over it. The second had a chart filled with lines, arrows, colored areas, and labels. Squinting at the letters for several minutes, he was able to make out that the first label read "Unit 3".

With a displeased grunt, he thumbed the edge of the page, fumbling around for a moment as he tried to move the delicate layer of parchment with his large digit. He finally got the page turned, and was greeted by several paragraphs of words and another chart, this one depicting some sort of topographical map, which he could in fact understand, and more arrows. The different "units" had their own symbols this time, however, and so he was able to grasp the concept. Partially, at least.

Grumbling to himself, he fiddled with the next page for a few moments and got it turned, only to be greeted by two full pages of nothing but words. With a frustrated snort, he closed the book rather forcefully and shoved it aside, grabbing the second one.

"This is madness." he grumbled, half to himself and half to Raz'nak. The second book, although it did have a lot of rather nice, artistic pictures of Protormal on his various adventures, contained few pictures that actually told Tronfros anything about ice magic.

With a resigned sigh, he placed his forearms on the table and leaned forward over the book, reluctantly beginning the process of slowly deciphering it's meanings. Letter by arduous letter.

Galath - Town Square

IC: Debatra

Satisfied with his exploration of the Knight's Court Inn, and only finding an odd material used for demolition that he couldn't identify, Debatra headed toward the Town Square to pick up a contract from the Message Boards. He sifted through the numerous pages asking for minor tasks and offered little rewards until he came up with four that he liked.

The first was a wanted ad for a con man in the Housing District. He scammed a man out of his money in a game of cards, which the client thinks was rigged.

The second was an ad looking for a Draconic magic tutor. He was looking for someone to teach him basic fire spells to begin training with. He's standing by the Alchemical shop.

The third was a complaint about a budding sorcerer who's magic outbursts were causing disruption in the Housing District. The address is labeled at the bottom.

The final was a fetching request. An armorer is running out of iron ore, and she would like someone to go and get the next haul of iron from her nearby mine.

TAG: Debatra

Rusthaven - Roald's Shack

IC: Roald

The man was relieved. To most men, seeing such a creature before them would cause them to book it in the other direction and possibly wet themselves. But in a dirty, scary roguetown like Rusthaven, the sight of a Kaedan like Radianna was just another freak in a town of freaks. Besides, Roald was happy to get anyone's help.

"Thank you for coming, miss. Please, have a seat," he said a bit quietly, motioning to a chair. "I guess I should get to the details, then. My necklace is made of copper and silver chains. There's nothing too valuable about it, so I don't know why they stole it. It was my mother's keepsake, and I'd like it back. I don't care if you kill him or not, as long as the necklace is safe." He motioned to his body with open hands. "I believe the man who bumped into me was dark-skinned, maybe a dark elf or something." He them motioned to his head. "He had a hood over his head, so I couldn't see his hair. He was by the trading district near the busy shops. I hope that helps," the man finished. He moved over to a table and picked up a map of the town, and handed it to her open. A marker was put on it to identify where the thief took his necklace. It stood near the entrance of the Rusty Dagger weapons store.

Galath Library

Raz'nak clenched his fist and knocked the books over with a frustrated cry. "These books aren't telling me anything!" His attention turned to his struggling companion. He sighed and got up to help him.

"Hey, uhh," Raz'nak halted. Had he forgotten his name, or did he just never tell him it? "Hey, minotaur. Do you need some help?" he sat down next to him and took the other book, and began scanning the pages.

"Alright, listen up," Raz'nak said before clearing his throat.

Raz'nak put the book down and quickly snatched the book from Tronfros's side of the table. He began to rapidly scan the pages, his head bobbing up and down the page. Every moment or two, he would spout out a piece of information about the man and his feats. His head stopped for a moment, and he seemed puzzled. "I think this is in your Minotaur language. It looks like an incantation for a spell, but it seems a bit lengthy for that. Who knows? Feyic magic is complicated."

The skeletal gave the book back to the minotaur, and laid a sharp, bony finger on the passage, which was handwritten on a picture of a piece of parchment.

Somewhere in Galath - Jimmy the Quick's Hideout

IC: Jimmy the Quick

He wasn't getting anywhere fast. He kept babbling on about craziness and a bunch of things that didn't make sense. He seemed to refer to Chaos as a person and not a description of something. It's possible that this man just happened to be a highly skilled lunatic, and not an actual force to be worried about.

Jimmy turned to the man, who was tied up in a chair and bouncing around in it. "Hey, you. You aren't telling me enough, so I'm gonna leave you down here until you learn to make sense. Hope you like the cold," he joked.

He seemed to get extremely excited with every passing minute, and this made him overjoyed. "Yes! Go now! And watch as Chaos begins his reign over Enlis! The time is almost upon us! It's so close! Can't you hear it? It's buzzing in the air so furiously, I can barely-" Jimmy shoved a wad of cloth into the man's mouth to silence him before turning to leave to the Arena.

TAG: Everyone

Galath - Town Square
IC: Debatra Fallin

After some consideration, Debatra takes the two contracts for the Housing District and takes to the air.

Might as well take care of them both while I'm there. As he flies toward the address on the sorcerer contract, he reads it over.

Rusthaven - Rusty Dagger
IC: Raidanna Cadenesa

She walked into the shop, an ever-present scowl on her face. "Seen any dark elves with hoods around here lately?" she demanded of the person behind the counter. Radianna Cadenesa was not known for being sociable. "He might've had a necklace of copper and silver with him. Maybe he tried to sell it to you?"

Galath - Housing District

IC: Concerned Neighbor

The sound of an explosion was heard as Debatra landed onto the cold steps of the concerned neighbor's staircase leading ot his door. He came running out, pulling the hair out of his head. "God dammit I want some sleep!" he shouted, now noticing the bat. "Hey, you here to take care of him? Good! Get the fuck in inside and kill that little bastard before I lose my mind!"

He broke his stare at the bat and began to pace back and forth angrily. "Everything glass in my house is shattered, there's a hole in my wall where the kid turned my bricks back into clay mold, and he turned my cat into a fucking lion! I tell those damn parents of his to fix him and they don't do shit! My wife is scared, my kids are crying, and I haven't slept in three days! I'm losing it! I'M LOSING IT!"

Rusthaven - Rusty Dagger

IC: Shopowner

Radianna walked into the relatively massive store, followed by two others behind her. The place was also relatively packed, holding at least 15 other shoppers, all examining different makes of daggers, spears, and handguns. The shopowner welcomed her to the store. She moved up to him and inquired about the shady character, and was given an apologetic decline for a response.

"I'm not allowed to discuss customers. It's personal. I mean, you can pay me, and my lips might loosen a little, but I ain't gonna disclose anything too personal about the customer, what he bought, when he's last in, or any o' that. Sorry."

Galath - Arena Gates

IC: Hooded Figure

What was that little skull thing? he questioned himself mentally. It was alive, I believe. Well, not anymore, of course. Nothing gets that close to me and continues living. Ahahaha the hooded figure made his way upward through the crowd, shoving if necessary. Grabbing himself a seat up front a few rows in front of the strange blindfolded man, he began to scan the crowd as the minotaur and other man fought. The crowd sure likes this minotaur... I guess I'll be able to start early... The crowd cheered excitedly. They were screeching. They were jarring. You could almost feel...

the pandemonium.

TAG: Everyone, Tirin ;)

Galath Library

IC: Tronfros

Tronfros stared at the passage with great interest, running one large finger along the lines of strange symbols. His hot breath fluttered the edges of the pages beneath his heavy touch, locks of his gray hair falling around his eyes as they pierced the page, and for a few minutes he did not speak.

"Not an incantation, but close; instructions rather." the minotaur said at length. "It is in a tribal dialect foreign to me, but I think I will be able to read it. Give me a few minutes." With that he lumbered a short distance off and bent low over the book, studying it's words. Presently he raised his right hand into the air, held it for a moment, then grumbled and lowered it, going back to fervently examining the book.

The next time he raised his hand, however, something happened. The air around it began to freeze and draw inwards, latching onto his outstretched fist and growing, soon creating a layer of jagged ice. It continued to expand, freezing the air it touched, building upon itself and expanding.

The minotaur's jubilant expression turned to one of concern. The ice was growing at an alarming rate. Already he could barely lift his arm for the massive chunk of ice that gripped it. With a curse, the beast ran for the door, thundering out just in time, the edges his newfound weapon leaving two large gouges in the door-frame.

Stumbling out into the street, Tronfros set his perpetually growing arm on the ground and hurriedly flipped back to the page of the spell, which he had lost, reading over it frantically as people nearby stopped and stared. The ice continued to grow, a gigantic vaguely round chuck now reaching almost to his shoulder.

By the time Tronfros had figured out the correct way to stop it, he was basically laying on top of the enormous hunk of frozen moisture, his entire right arm, shoulder, and chest encased in it. His right horn was also trapped, leaving him in a very awkward stance. A few minutes of this uncomfortable position and some very fervent reading later, and he had freed himself, the ice melting away into a very large puddle.

"I uh... misinterpreted part of it." he said to Raz'nak, who standing nearby grinning deridingly. "The part about how to stop."

Rubbing his neck in a disconcerted way, the minotaur took a few moments to survey the scene and let the onlookers pass. "I'll go practice." he mumbled, then picked up the book and started off towards an open grassy area near the library.

Galath Arena - Seating

IC: ?????

The man simply relaxed for a few minutes, for the most part ignoring the crowd, who ignored him right back. He wasn't particularly interested in all that they were doing, all things considered - not that they weren't worth his time, or anything so brazen, just they served as nothing but a distraction from his entertainment. That changed when the hooded man took a seat, when the little 'feeling' grew a great deal stronger. He seems... Familiar. Could it be...? Not even he would attack a place like this, right? He asked himself, suddenly seeming the tiniest bit nervous.

Either way, He thought, beginning to fidget just a little bit, I should keep on eye out. If that's who I think it is - or worse, someone even stronger - it'll be a lot of trouble cleaning up the mess they make... So much for faulty information.

Galath Library

The skeletal chuckled as the spell began to malfunction, reminding him of his former self. Now, of course, it was near impossible for Raz'nak to lose control of his magic, as many skeletals require a constant control of magic to simply move and not fall apart. That, and of course, the mark on his wrist that was left from his accident.

"I'll go practice," the minotaur mumbled. Raz'nak nodded in response before returning to his thoughts. He began to review the notes he took mentally from the books he read about mana burn.

It was most likely mana burn that singed me, but what confuses me is how it happened! he thought bitterly. I mean, it's not like his skin was made of the stuff or something... maybe it was a heated mana shield or something... he continued to contemplate it as he walked toward the Galath Arena to recruit more fighters.

TAG: Tirin, Debatra, Yorgmiester, Sai

Galath Arena - Waiting Room

IC: Jeistan T'erehi

The werewolf looked down at the gnome, and growled, "I need to get by. You shouldn't be standing in the doorway blocking the path." He continued and walked upstairs to the Rec Room, where he ordered some food and sat down by a window to watch the fight.

TAG: Sai

Galath Arena

IC: Lucien Z'rai'thai

The first fighter the skeletal found was his next opponent, who had apparently finished whatever practice he had been doing. He merely lay on the ground, coiled about himself as he tended to be while relaxing, letting the sun warm him as it glinted off of his crimson scales. His head raised a few feet from the ground, eyes locking on Raz'nak.

"Good day, Raz'nak," He greeted, as hissingly as was common for him, "Good to see that you're whole again, I wouldn't have wanted to just go further in the tournament by default, after all."

Debatra runs into the man's house, loosening his blade in its sheath. He notices a large hole in the ceiling, with the smell of smoke coming from it. He flies up through the hole, and turns in the air. Seeing the Sorcerer with his back to him, Debatra lands softly as possible, approaching slowly.

He draws his blade, closing his cloak around himself to keep it - as well as his bat form - hidden.

"Sorcerer, the family that lives here wants you to leave their house. They want to live in peace. Will you take this elsewhere?"

IC: Sorcerer

The young man turned around, with a shocked look on his face. "W-w-what? What are you talking about? I live h-here!" he stammered, beginning to raise his hands. With a glance at them, he quickly shoved them into his armpits, and then opened his eyes to look back at his unexpected company.

"I h-have lived here for my whole life! My paren-" he stopped, staring down at the floor now. He sat in a few moments of silence before continuing. "...I own this house. If you mean the neighbors, then I apoligize... I can't help what I do," the man mumbled.

He closed his eyes. "I... maybe it's best that I leave now. I don't want to hurt anyone..."

Galath Arena

The skeletal stopped and turned to face Lucien. "Ah, morning. Hope you slept well, did you?" Raz'nak said with a slightly irregular dialect. "I'm actually glad I found you. I don't believe that this place is... safe. I met a man who was... not right," he said, staring down worriedly at the ground, "different... unsettling..."

His skull turned back to the serpenti. "I'm not certain of anything, and I don't have any evidence, but he troubles me. Things rarely do that. I can... 'feel it in my gut.' In the case that something bad were to occur, I want to make sure that we are ready to retaliate." The skeletal took a few steps forward to close the distance between him and Lucien. With a sincere tone, he said, "I need your help, Lucien. If you want to help, you can first find some people that can help. Recruit some fighters. When you're ready, go and find the grey minotaur with the big staff. I don't recall him telling me his name, so that's about all I can tell you."

Before taking his leave, Raz'nak gave Lucien a smile and a nod. "Oh, and good luck in the tournament." Raz'nak's bones clinked toward the Market District behind the Speared Grape Inn.

TAG: Tirin

Corsaine - Large Mining Outpost

IC: Azkin

Azkin lifted his helmet, wiping the dusty sweat from his thick brow before checking his watch. Fifteen minutes until the end of his shift. "Alright, men! A quarter 'til close!" Azkin made his way over to where Ocen was. He was looking over one of the cliffs at the miners. Normally Azkin would greet him and give him a pat on the back, but he know Ocen was in deep thought. He decided to leave a dwarf to his thoughts. He must have a lot on his mind.

As the miners began to lift the day's ton of coal up to the surface for trade, Azkin began to think on his own. He looked at the struggling faces of the workers. He looked at Bokl, who was working to feed his newborn Anthony. He looked at Akalni, a half-breed, who recently moved here to make a living. He looked at their bulging arms, and the ton of coal that they worked so hard to get. How they did all of this to make a living; a living that Corsaine wouldn't permit.

According to the Council, this Mining Outpost, despite it being even bigger than other Sectors, wasn't itself a Sector. It was miles from medhouses and banks and the big city... we lived here. Why wasn't that enough? We need the supp-

A snap of rope. The movement of rocks. The cry of sharp voices.

Raiders...

TAG: Fatscalyman

Ruins of the Knight's Court Inn

*CRUNCH*

One of Tronfros' ice-encased fists sunk into the large support beam, the wood cracking and splintering under the impact. Jagged points of the frozen moisture dug deep into the structure, gouging it and tearing it as he swiveled his hand back and forth, removing it after a few moments to reveal what would have been an extremely gruesome wound had the wooden beam been flesh and bone.

With a satisfied snort and grin, the minotaur took a deep breath and then suddenly whirled around, throwing his left arm into another support beam, this one slightly burnt. The beam snapped like a twig, Tronfros' icy forearm plowing right through it and sending a shower of splinters, coals, and bits of powdery ice shaving everywhere.

After about half an hour of practicing on the grass outside the Library, Tronfros had realized that it was not an ideal place. Firstly, he had nothing to hit that wasn't considered public property, which included the ground. Tearing gouges in the Librarian's wonderful lawn was a less than helpful way to endear yourself to the townsfolk.

And do he had come here, to a place he knew he could cause wanton destruction without getting arrested. Nobody cared about the place now, and as long as he stayed within the bounds of that red rope the guards had put up he figured he should be fine. At least, that's the way it seemed, as he had been there for two hours and nobody had complained.

Turning towards a crumbling section of wall, he got into a fighting stance and then attacked it, wreaking havoc on the stones and bricks. Tremors of impact ran up his arms with each strike, but nothing more. It was amazing what this new spell could let him do. He had been perfectly capable of punching holes in walls before, of course, but it usually left a nasty bruise or cuts, and generally hurt. Now there was no pain, no injury, no sore knuckles.

With a shake and some splashing, Tronfros freed his left hand, the ice quickly melting away and falling off. Then, with that hand, he grabbed one of the large, blackened stones nearby and hurled it high into the air.

It came down with a magnificent *CRACK* when it slammed into his right arm, which he held above him in a blocking stance. Tiny shards of ice showered the ground all around, but the main form held fast, successfully deflecting the blow and sending the rock rolling away. Tronfros grinned, the ice on his left hand reforming as he gazed in satisfaction at his right hand, swinging it around a bit to further get a feel for it's weight.

Then it was back to pummeling the ruins.

TAG: Anyone near the Knight's Court Inn

"That would likely be best. Nobody's trying to stop you from your... whatever this is. THey just want you to either do it quietly or elsewhere."

A pause.

"By the way, what are you doing here? It looks like an interesting practice."

TAG: Tiki.

Galath Arena

IC: Lucien Z'rai'thai

Lucien blinked slowly, disbelievingly. It was strange enough that Raz'nak hadn't been rude or impolite, but asking for his assistance, wishing him good luck in the tournament... Simply astounding. So far, the skeletal had been menacing and cold, and such a change of heart simply stunned the Serpenti for a moment before he could respond. "I, um... Yes, of course. If he's so serious a threat, we'll have need of everything we can get."

Even as the skeletal spellcaster was walking off, the reptilian warrior 'stood', stretching slightly and reflecting a few tiny pinpoints of light from his almost mirror-like scales. Figuring that it was the best place to go to recruit fighters for his cause, he returned to the training quarters of the Arena, looking about for the few who were still left in the tournament. It were these who he trusted the most (with the exception of Capricorn), but if he couldn't find any of them, well, he could always look around for those who had been eliminated.

TAG: Tikishades

Quiet Frost Outpost

IC: Ocen Frostrain

The name of the main headquarters for the mining operation had been quite misleading, as Ocen had noticed. His father, Dacan, had contractors carve a makeshift base of operations for this business venture years ago. Where he had come up with the name, Ocen could not imagine. Perhaps it was quieter then, and perhaps colder.

It certainly wasn't quiet anymore.

In a typical fit of Dwarven ingenuity, a fully operational and efficient mine had been erected, and as time went on, a society built around it. It wasn't self sufficient, of course, still relying on trade with Corsaine, and, on occasion, further off and even foreign contracts, when public disputes or war brought about high demand for fine metals.

Ocen glanced around his office with his dark-purple eyes as he thought to himself. It was simple, but efficient. A desk, for paperwork, a few keepsakes on the walls, and other various things he needed to get his work done. Most of his possessions were in his personal quarters.

But not the bow and quiver of arrows that hung on the wall, nor the axe next to them. Corsaine-made, of course, as the smithies starting up through the outposts were fledgling (fledgling being a generous term) at best. He liked to keep these items of protection and defense in the same room as him while he was working or sleeping. Just in case. Raiders happened on occasion, but Ocen didn't have any inkling that they would be coming again.

Little did he know how wrong he would be until the alarm was struck.

Something odd hung about his cool-headedness under pressure. It had been this way most of his life, and it had certainly come in handy. The fact that the weapons were in his office at the time could be labeled as paranoia, however, for now, it worked out well enough. He strapped the axe to his belt and slung the quiver over his broad shoulder, holding the bow in his right hand.

He stepped out of his office into the open tunnel, looking around to assess the situation and apprehend whatever foe would foolishly threaten this stalwart group. He was hoping word from one of his miners, or one of the few hired guards (Corsaine refused to send protection, seeing as how Ocen's mines were not officially part of the city and therefore mined at their own risk).

The werewolf looked down at the gnome, and growled, "I need to get by. You shouldn't be standing in the doorway blocking the path."

Dalji looked up at the werewolf with a look that would curdle milk. It wasn't that Dalji didn't like werewolves, but rather his face was locked into an unpleasant look. As the werewolf would surely notice with Dally's hood down half his face was burned and twisted into a sneer. Now Dalji was a gnome and he could hardly block someone's path through a doorway unless he used the tools at his disposal. The wolf could have walked around him if he so desired.

Dalji just scoffed as he went up the stair case and the werewolf walked pasted him. Dalji also walked up into the Rec Room. The stairs were made for humans, but contrary to what most people though Gnomes were quite agile stock. Jumping up the stairs had been like a good stretch after sleeping on that wooden floor last night. Gnomes preferred dirt floors because they retained heat better in the Caultic Region and made more sense logically then wood flooring for underground cities.

The gnome walked across the room and scanning it briefly. Dalji jumped onto the counter to order food and got an assortment of vegetables. These looked better then the other food he had eaten thus far, but by a small margin. Beggars couldn't be choosers, Dalji supposed. Dalji took a seat by the window as well and looked out onto the fight. Dalji turned his gaze to the werewolf and bit into the stock of a vegetable. "I miss fighting at home. They would call me Dalji the Giant-Killer. So, Wolf what's your name?" Dalji said before taking another bite of his food.

Galath Arena - Rec Room

IC: Jeistan D'Terehei

He couldn't believe himself. Usually he was so polite, and until recently, he had been. It had been justified with the librarian, but lashing out at the gnome had been...rude. It could certainly get him in trouble, especially when prejudice against his kind was present (as had been demonstrated with the aforementioned librarian).

However, amends weren't too difficult to make.

"I apologize for my previous rudeness," he said, sincerity in his voice. "The air about this place is lined with...tension, to say the least. Competitors are a little high-strung. Again, apologies."
He stopped for a moment, and then realized he had been asked a question.

"I am Jeistan D'Terehei. Dalji the Giant-Killer? Interesting title. My people once struggled with giants. Heh, perhaps 'struggled' is not the term. More like...'crushed'."

Galath Arena - Rec Room

"Heh, I found your comment more ironic then rude. No harm done. Yet.." Dalji said with an odd hint of blood-lust. That must have been the hunger in his voice. It had been days since he had last ate and the pile of vegetables were quickly disappearing. Dalji ripped into a bushel of some vegetable as the wolf went on.

"Hehe, I like you already, Jeistan. Any people that kill Giants is my kind of people." Dalji added with a sick air of humor. His laughter had a sharp edge to it and there was something dark that lingered beneath it. "Yes, it was the name given to me for my service. Gnomes rarely stick to one name, since anyone Gnome can give a Gnome a name, but I like this one for traveling in the human lands. And other places." Dalji eyes lit up as if caught in a flame as he reminisced the destruction of Giants in battles past. Oh, how he loved killing Giants.

"I like a good fight as much as anyone, but at the moment I'm out for another kind of sport. Looking for some people. Have you ever met a Jimmy the Quick, by the way? No, well what brings you to the Arena then Jeistan?" Dalji said in better mood as his plate was now empty.

Galath Arena - Rec Room

IC - Jeistan D'Terehei

Jeistan was intrigued by Dalji. He had never extensively interacted with a gnome before, and the thought that they could destroy creatures so many times their greater was inspiring. The Terehei had fought larger clans and come out the better for it multiple times.

"Interesting. Us Purebreads have a clan name and an individual name. Our clan name identifies the clan we run with, and is usually our birth clan. My clan name is D'Terehei, meaning "of Terehei". Our individual name distinguishes us as single beings, as unique spirits rather than part of something greater."

Jeistan stopped for just a moment to think. While he had not heard of the man Dalji was looking for, the inquiry itself brought about the questioning of Dalji's motives to Jeistan's mind.

"I'm afraid I have not heard of this man you seek. An old friend of yours, perhaps?" he said. "I am here to compete in the tournament. More specifically, to win."

His last comment was followed by a fanged smile.

TAG: SaiFai mai gui

Galath Arena - Rec Room

IC - Dalji the Giant-Killer

Names were more or less interchangeable for the gnomes. Any given gnome often had many names which they went by in the community and it was often perplexing how stagnant names had become in other communities. One name for an entire life would be rather boring Dalji thought. Dally had been a common name he had used for communicating with the big folk, but in his increasing age it seemed like something that should be only associated with his closer friends.

It was odd thinking now he didn't have any friends. He always kept his back to a wall and his eyes on a window or a door hoping that the next person coming through was a friend rather then someone who would kill him or he had to kill. Dally brought his dark teal eyes back into focus as he looked from his plate to look at the wolf man.

"I'm afraid I have not heard of this man you seek. An old friend of yours, perhaps?" "I am here to compete in the tournament. More specifically, to win."

"You could say I know him because of a friend." Dalji added with a dark smirk. He wasn't one to tell someone he had just meet the more intimate details about himself, but he would tell the man one thing about him. "I wanted to enter the tournament, but it seems I've come too late. I heard that there was an attack from assassins earlier and the magicked themselves away. Did you see that?" Dalji asked with a disinterested tone.

TAG: FSM, Tiki

Rusthaven - Rusty Dagger
IC: Radianna Cadenesa

Radianna grabbed the shopkeeper by his collar. Another thing she wasn't known for was patience.

"You want patment?" she said, "How about I pay you by extending your life by a few years?"

She wouldn't actually kill him... probably. Maybe. ...If she were in a good mood.

She knows that she can't get information out of his corpse unless she spontaneously learned Mortarlare, so she resigns herself to pummeling him for a bit if he decided to be stubborn.

IC: Marc Firewing

From overhead, the tournament announcer rang out for the start of the tournament. A pale gray elf stepped down from the Rec Room, and headed toward the Ring, with Crimson coming from outside.

Marc turned to the wolf and the gnome, nodded goodbye, and headed upstairs to get a better look.

TAG: Fatscalyman, SaiFai

Corsaine - Quiet Frost Outpost

IC: Azkin Orlo

His first reaction was to inform Ocen, but it appeared he was already fetching his weapons. In continuous waves, the miners dropped what they were doing to defend the tunnels. Some carried their picks to fight with, others used their fists. Occasionally, one would have a billy club or even a firearm to use.

Azkin took to the coal lift, and grabbed one of the ropes from the miners. Raiders or not, this coal needs to be up before they could snatch it themselves. A red glow ran from his tattoo down his veins. With short bursts, the struggling lift rose considerably higher and more rapidly. The miners barely had time to even grasp the rope again before it became limp and flaccid in their hands.

One of the scouts, known as Markus, cried out to Azkin, stumbling toward him over rocks and pebbles. "Lieutenant Orlo!" Markus managed to call in a hoarse voice. He paused to pant when he was feet from him, and held himself standing with his hands on his knees. "Lieutenant! The raiders have taken down all of our guard towers on the perimeter. They're entering from the northwest, south, and southeast entrances. At least seven groups, sir," he reported.

Azkin didn't turn to face him when he talked, as his energy was completely focused on the coal lift. "I want the miners to the northeast tunnels, and all available combatants to reach the center. At best, maybe we can ambush them! Relay that to Ocen for confirmation! You listen to his orders, Markus!" Azkin commanded, his muscle strain causing his voice to grunt with rage.

Markus nodded, and took one last deep breath before scaling the slope up to Ocen.

TAG: Fatscalyman

Rusthaven - Rusty Dagger
IC: Shopowner

The owner chuckled at Radianna's sudden use of force. "A good blacksmith must be able to wield the weapons he crafts, or else he will be ignorant of its quality," he said calmly. His eyes rose to Radianna's, while he placed a gentle hand over her's. "Are you really going to threaten a blacksmith?"
Galath - Ruins of the Knight's Court Inn

IC: Malto

The sound of wood splintering shook the dirt around him. Interested, Malto climbed out of the tunnel he discovered earlier to find another minotaur bashing the broken posts with ice-covered fists. "Ah, good morning, friend. My name is Malto, of the Turerdo tribe," he smiled, clapping his hands together and lifting his head to reveal his neck, a minotaur gesture that meant "good will, trusted person." A risky gesture, as it exposes the soft neck to horn thrusts, but Malto knew he had nothing to fear.

Quiet Frost Outpost

IC: Ocen Frostrain

Ocen carried a level head as he sought about making preparations for the invasion. He was glad to hear the news from Orlo; not so much glad as to the news itself but rejoicing in the fact that he had at least some information to help him in the defense.

Seven groups. Quite possibly the largest attack yet, but Ocen was confident in the strength and will of his workers. They would pull through and come out stronger for it. The reputation gained from such an attack would (hopefully) garner respect from Corsaine and fear from any future raiders. But, that was thinking too far ahead.

For now, they needed to survive.

"Confirmed, Markus. You've done well, but there is more to do," he said. "I want you to make your way northeast with haste. Tell the non-combatants to remain quiet and keep out of the outpost. Then you are to get to Corsaine and alert the authorities of what has taken place here. Good luck, Markus."

Ocen quickly bid him farewell and made his way to the bulk of armed miners and (few) mercenaries to give them orders. Once he reached them, he stood on top of a rock and got straight to business.

"Alright, this is the situation. Seven groups are attacking from three sides. They're going to be blundering straight through the town to pillage whatever goods they can get their hands on and hopefully find our coffers. We aren't going to let them do that. Melee fighters, you take cover in the crags of our structures in small groups, and once they get into position, you pounce. Archers and gunners, what few we have, take higher ground and wait until the melee have engaged, and then, give 'em hell. I'll be shooting from that building over there, and a few of you can join me. Best of luck, and all I can say is: hurry."

Ocen indicated a building and then made his way to it. He figured it would give him a good view of things along with a chance to do some damage.

The speaker blasted and pierced the gnomes sensitive ears. Surely the Large Folk had to be deaf to need the volume of their announcements at this level. He cringed on the burnt side of his face which looked like a twisted scowl. Dalji swore he wouldn't be able to hear anything if he stayed in these lands for too long.

A pale elf nodded to the pair and Dalji found this to be quite odd. Suspicious if not anything else. Dalji jumped up onto his seat and then onto the ground. " Maybe there is something of interest upstairs. I will go and see. Good Day Jeistan. If you ever need the aid of a gnome look me up." With that Dalji gave the wolf a curt nod and followed the elf up the stairs.

TAG: Fatscalyman, Tiki

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked