The Ratings War II: Set the World on Fire

Pages PREV 1 . . . 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 . . . 23 NEXT

*Whistles*

Whoa! I've been away for a whole week and crowghast still isn't done with his post?

good lord son!

SargentToughie:
*Whistles*

Whoa! I've been away for a whole week and crowghast still isn't done with his post?

good lord son!

I know how you feel. I got back from a week-long school camp to find that new titles have been issued (no doubt spurred by Indigo_Dingo's ungodly post count), March Mayhem's back on (hopefully Turbine won't cheat this time) and other stuff that's been going on.

And I look in Forum Games & RP, to find that neither RW2 or the Escapist Election has changed since I left.

What gives?

Lord Krunk:

SargentToughie:
*Whistles*

good lord son!

I know how you feel. I got back from a week-long school camp to find that new titles have been issued (no doubt spurred by Indigo_Dingo's ungodly post count), March Mayhem's back on (hopefully Turbine won't cheat this time) and other stuff that's been going on.

And I look in Forum Games & RP, to find that neither RW2 or the Escapist Election has changed since I left.

What gives?

We're waiting on Crowghasts' entry. Today is the 21st so it's been ... three weeks.

Crowghast, it really doesn't have to be a masterpeice. If you sat down and forced yourself to write you could have a basic, satisfying story done in an hour or two. It wouldn't be the same quality as some of your other entries but given the brevity of Sorrow's post it'd probably still stand an even chance of advancing. (no offence Sorrow.)

I stand with the judges that quality is more important than time but, and you'll forgive me, three weeks is kind of absurd. I'd much rather see it done, average or not, so we can continue than put the game on hold indefinetly for what might be a masterpeice.

That's my opinion anyway and it's entirely possible I'm alone in it. Nonetheless I do hope you finish it sometime soon. And I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. It's late out my way (almost early) and I've had something of a rough day.

...WRITE!!! *exits, stage left*

Khedive Rex:

Lord Krunk:

SargentToughie:
*Whistles*

good lord son!

What gives?

We're waiting on Crowghasts' entry. Today is the 21st so it's been ... three weeks.

Crowghast, it really doesn't have to be a masterpeice. If you sat down and forced yourself to write you could have a basic, satisfying story done in an hour or two. It wouldn't be the same quality as some of your other entries but given the brevity of Sorrow's post it'd probably still stand an even chance of advancing. (no offence Sorrow.)

I stand with the judges that quality is more important than time but, and you'll forgive me, three weeks is kind of absurd. I'd much rather see it done, average or not, so we can continue than put the game on hold indefinetly for what might be a masterpeice.

That's my opinion anyway and it's entirely possible I'm alone in it. Nonetheless I do hope you finish it sometime soon. And I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. It's late out my way (almost early) and I've had something of a rough day.

...WRITE!!! *exits, stage left*

I agree with Khedive, we really need to get this thing going again

I really want to get started in RW3 at some point in the near future

Wait, this thing is still on? You see, I was here thinking that because I have not read anything in three weeks I thought this thing was over. Gosh, I feel so silly.

But seriously though, this is fucking annoying. Three weeks is too much time to spend on a story. As with the other judges, I'm willing to sacrifice time so that the story is good but that is usually only an extra week, giving the player two weeks at the most to craft a story. If the player takes those two weeks it has to be the best thing I have ever seen and a real stand out in the competition such such as Mscherbatskaya's piece (heh, almost called it artwork then) and I don't think she took two weeks to type it out. As a judge, I want to read good stories but I don't want to wait for a long time to read them because it stops me from reading other stories. By not posting your story you are stopping others from posting theirs, halting the competition and making a big deal over yourself. You don't have the right to halt this game for so long and The Sorrow really should have done something by now.

Imagine if everyone took three weeks to create a story? This competition will not work.

Crowghast, post your damn story or forfeit so this game can continue. You should have done either a week ago.

I agree with toughie. I want to start RW3. I have a character sheet already typed up and pretty!

The Perfect Imperfection

In the midst of a great knot of roots and branches, Tanner stepped lightly from the portal. Brushing his shoulder, chest, and legs, his eyes met the ground, the soft soil around his boots. He lifted one and saw the dead leaves he had carelessly crunched on his way in. Planting his foot back in the same place, he stood there.

And he stared, blankly, at the canopy above, rays of light piercing through to meet his eyes. But he looked closer than the average person would. Around him, it all appeared to be a forest. A glance from the untrained eye would think nothing of it, but Tanner always looked thrice, and then some.

Upon his inspection, the area was revealed to lack... detail, soul. There was no magic to it.

It was fake, and it was sloppy.

Something... someone had cut out the heart of the land.

Turning to see that unruly tangle of roots and branches once again, he realized that's just what it was, a tangle of roots and branches. It was non-descript, looked as plain as what he himself could imagine and put on paper, as poor an artist as he was. As though it were consistent only of those words, roots and branches. The leaves under his feet suffered the same anomaly. Not maple, not palm, it was like a prop in a movie.

Turning again in a wide arc, Tanner saw it, the swamp. All of it. He could see it's entirety from the clearing he was standing in. What should have been grand, what was supposed to be a nature's own masterful brush stroke, was man's mocking spittle.

It was a mediocre re-hash. And Tanner did not understand.

Did this place only lack imagination? Or did it lack care?

Who was in control? Who was the "master" of this realm? And why had it let the place fall to shambles?

Tanner, tired, heart-sick, and caked in sand, all results of his previous battle. Having his life's past revealed to him a second time did not help, realizing the meaning of it, however, of his salvation, was a small consolation to him. But it didn'thelp here, at this place. He saw it was being distorted by someone's thoughts. What man's mind could do this?

Looking about again, Tanner wondered. How perplexing.

The Impressionable Magician

Nathan reeled in agony, wailing in pain as his body changed shape again. His back bent forward, a hump appeared on his shoulders, and his legs went crooked. He could only imagine how much of an ugly mug he had now. Which didn't matter, the new face began to alter.

Reaching upwards in a silent plea, aside from his screams, his body rose upwards four more feet. He straightened to a posture that was elegant, and his shoulders rolled back to become strong, near-melon shaped muscles. The pain ebbed away, and he felt... awesome.

"Oh please let it stay."

He looked at his hands, big, carved as though of gold, strong enough to strangle an ox, yet delicate and dexterous enough to unlace bras... Nathan smiled, and felt perfectly straight teeth. Ha!

He walked, noticing his hobble was gone... then he ran. Laughing. Singing with a voice that could form lyrics, hearing it with ears that could catch tone.

He felt perfect!

He then felt... loathing. What is this figure? What is this great, all-powerful being?

"Am I more worthy of this than anyone else?" He thought.

He hated himself then, why was he the only one? Did he have to suffer in a perfect body while no-one could match him, no-one could ever reach his perfection? He punched a tree, creating a perfect hole in it. Splinters launching from the back, falling in symmetrical lines. He nodded his head, pulling the arm from the tree, and wept. He began to sob.

Choking on his gasps, he still cryed there. He then felt pain for those people, how they would remain as they were until their death.

So, death then?

Let them. Do they deserve anything less? Nathan ceased his sobbing, and swiped at the tree again.

tl;dr:

BAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW Crowghast is so super sorry. He even wants warm milky.

So, it is said, and it is done.

Who could have imagined?
The soldier, with his heavy heart, his impossible moral standards, his love and hate for humanity. Contradictory and conflicting, defeated an immortal of the sands. Despite his lack of self, he managed to succeed.

Now, he is defeated.

It is too bad the wizard did not kill him.

It would have been preferable.

Nathan Tosche... you will now move on...

I thought i'd write it in Sorrow's stead. Is that okay?

Wow...
That's... Interesting

This round just ... depresses me.

I feel like both of the combatants this round have given up. Crowghast has issued a formal forfeiture on the basis that he hates his character and Sorrow is too busy to post a real entry. (You'll forgive me but unless I'm very much mistaken Sorrow posted his work with the full intention of being defeated. Which is why we've had to wait so long for him to declare the round over.) Both the fighters in this semi-final round we're hoping they wouldn't advance.

Where does that leave us for the finals?

I for one am going to be trying my damndest to create the best story I can, but it's not going to be any fun if my opponent doesn't want to play and is just 'going through the motions'. The finals is supposed to be highly contested and energized; it's the definitive round of the tournament. If we're forcing people to play who don't want to, it's going to be a one-sided fight.

So, my question:

Sorrow, seeing as Crowghast has forfeit the round, you've won and are in line to advance. Do you still have any interest in playing? Are you able to commit the time to write an entry more substantial than in this round?

If the answer is yes, thats wonderful. I've loved reading Nathan's old fights and he should be lots of fun for a finale.

If the answer is no and you'd just as soon get out from under this, than allow me to suggest a solution. We go back to the last fight you and Crowghast had before this round. In essence, we pretend that you two had dropped out then instead of now. So, we take whoever you fought then, they advance to semi's, fight each other and whoever wins that round goes to finals.

So, in this case, Crowghast would have forfeit to Ultrajoe and Sorrow would have forfeit to Qayin. We would have those two fight and they would be our second semi-final battle instead of the one you and Crowghast had.

It's a little illegit and definetly awkward, but if you are unable to continue playing in this tournament it's the best way I can think of to keep the thing going smoothly and maintain the same level of qualty.

If you are able to continue playing, then you'll forgive me for presuming otherwise and I look forward to seeing you in finals.

Should Sorrow turn out to be too busy, what does everyone else think of this? Most specifically Qayin and Ultrajoe if they are still reading this thread. Would you two be willing to take up your old characters after this long? And for the rest of you, is this a fair solution? Is there something better we could do?

Khedive Rex:
Ooh! Ooh!

I would love to have a second chance!

Pwetty Pwease?

...Fuck.

Khedive hit the nail on the head. I did want to lose this one, but I swear to nonexistent God that I did my damndest.

Crowghast is a better writer than I am. It...shit, I don't even know what to fucking say.

I'm actually in more than one competition of this sort at the same time as this one. Nathan is entered in one of them, and juggling these sorts of things, especially with comedy, is a lot harder than I anticipated.

I'm a spontaneous writer. Ideas come to me; I can't just sit and ponder for a while to produce a story. The ideas flow pretty well in the other competitions, but they're stagnant here for reasons I don't understand. It's why I'm not competing in the next one.

Khedive, I can't give you a good fight. You trounced me last time and you'll annihilate me this time.

I fucked up. Bad. I was considering forfeiting to Qayin. I still maintain that he beat me. I don't know why I didn't.

Goddammit, I don't know what to fucking do. I like Khedive's idea, but I'm going to wait until those two agree on it.

So both of you forfeit basically? Wow. I wasn't expecting that one...

I think we should allow some of the losers to join back in if they want to. Preferably someone beaten by Sorrow or Crowghast, but anyone will do fine.

I really like that idea that Khedive had. Have Ultrajoe and Qayin battle it out and send which ever one wins into the finals

and BTW: I would gladly re-enter the tournament if it means a second round against Khedive

Julian and Bartalby have some... unfinished business

Ultrajoe, if you're here, then you know you've just been handed a delicious cake.

Well, then again, Vherran is dead.

I'm terribly sorry, once more, for turning the RP into a turtle and flipping it onto it's back, but what's done is done, Sorrow wanted to lose, and won. My inferior sense of time and space affecting my surroundings has delayed the game and pissed off a few notable people, leading to myt forfeit on the count of not wasting anymore of our valuable time.

Valuable time we could be using for the Third Ratings War, which, by Sorrow's telling, is so awesome, that it is going to kick my balls until they pop out of my mouth with a resounding PHOOPTH as revenge for my recent bullshit.

Yay or nay?

Feh. Stop beating yourself up, Crow. Anyone can lose motivation and inspiration, especially when they have lost their entire post in a mistake. And sense of time... yeah, anyone can lose that, too. People are taking this way too hard. I liked what you did write. It was interesting.
As for the tournament, I think it would indeed be unfair to throw in defeated characters again, and wouldn't work very well either, story-wise. As much as I would enjoy Ultrajoe and Qayin back in action, it wouldn't be fair or practical. I say we just continue as we were and stick to the system. That is what it is there for. Crowghast forfeited, so The Sorrow moves on. If The Sorrow doesn't want to duke it out in the next round, he can just forfeit.

Higurashi made several points there...

Alright, I assume that Sorrow is hard at work deciding on what will happen from here on out... at the same time I wonder when he will finish deciding.

Three weeks from now...

*Crowghast, wearing an eye-patch and futuristic duds, along with a stainless steel cup*

"Gosh! I wonder when Sorrow will decide!"

I don't pretend that the solution I presented is ideal in any way shape or form. Frankly, it sucks. By the same token, I'm entirely unsure how to react to a double forfeiture in the semi-finals round.

If this were the first match of the tournament we could just accept an unequal number of combatants to the next round, give someone a by (or however it's spelled), and have it all be worked out a round after that. But this is the last round before finals. If we accept that both Crowghast and Sorrow have given up than we make Toughie and my fight the de facto finale as I don't have anyone to go up against in the actual finals.

In theory we could just force Sorrow to write something he can't focus on, or forfeit outright, and if that's what you guys want to do that's fine. For my own part, I find it unsatisfying. And I proposed my solution precisely because I think you guys would find it unsatisfying. I don't think anyone would be actively reading or caring about the finals battle in that case, instead patiently waiting for us to finish so that RW3 can begin and we can all move on. That's cause we wouldn't actually be fighting. We'd be going through the motions of a fight. One of us would be trying, and the other would be too busy to put equal effort into it (suffering under a handicap as it were). The result would be a foregone conclusion. (don't take that as a slight Sorrow. I consider you one of the stronger writers in this tournament and have actually wondered about a Bartelby/Nathan finale for about two rounds now.)

The best option is, by far, that Sorrow go to the final round and our two characters battle it out. If however, Sorrow's entry is "I forfeit" or the literary equivalent thereof, then there was no reason to have the round in the first place.

If Sorrow wants to go to finals and wants to write Nathan's fight, thats perfect and thats the option I endorse. If he doesn't want to, or doesn't think he can spare the energy, and we're not willing to find replacements ... than I don't know what to do.

Aww, no love?

Here I am, handing you my resume (and a character whose fate is undecided, and therefore actually canon) and no one notices! Was my first round really that bad? I mean, I did have a close one with Khedive, who looks like he's going to be the victor.

The Lyre has the motivation to defeat Bartelby, and I certainly want a rematch.

Khedive, it's you and me. It's time to even the score.

Lord Krunk:

The Lyre has the motivation to defeat Bartelby, and I certainly want a rematch.

Khedive, it's you and me. It's time to even the score.

A Random Wild-Card Back-from-the-Dead Vengeance Grudge Match?

Its certainly something I could see happening in any videogame fighting tournament worth its roundhouse kicks.

I know these forfeitures didn't affect me directly, but I see some bizarre sense in Krunks logic, and I think he has a good plan that at least manages to tie up RWII with an enthusiastic fight. (I'm assuming both Khedive and Krunk will be 100% committed to this last one, and manage to knock up spectacular entries with speed and alacrity)

At the moment we are in limbo, and I doubt Qayin or Joe really want to bring their characters back from the dead. I know if I had the chance to resurrect Shanks and take him to the final, I'd turn it down because I've moved on from that character since his defeat, and I'm guessing (emphasis on the guess part) that they'd both feel the same way.

Of course, what do you all think about it Krunks idea?

Vherran is dead. No exceptions.

Hey! Julian is sort of pissed off at Bartalby himself, I would like a second round against him... ah, who am I kidding, I blew my chance at winning this contest in the last round when Khedive trounced me.

but even still, this whole thing is still hypothetical, for all we know, Sorrow may just say "skrew it" and call Khedive the winner of the whole thing... again

As much of a letdown as that would be, I think that all of us are looking forward to RW3 and honestly don't care what happens in RW2. But again, it's all hypothetical until Sorrow comes out and tells us what he wants to do.

Until then, the most we can do is speculate... and dream

The interest in RWII has become so minimal that I have to wonder exactly how many people are actually planning to take part in the third. Unless we have a gold mine full of lurkers hanging around, it looks like the entry count could be less than this one's, which was under Sorrow's expectations. Not to mention the lack of commitment to RPs now (seriously, it's like none of the GMs give a shit anymore). If we don't get some more people interested in this, RWII won't be the problem so much as RWIII. So, and I hate to say this, it'd probably be best just to get this over with, even if it means a final round of "who gives a fuck."

That's all I have to say about that...

Revenent:
The interest in RWII has become so minimal that I have to wonder exactly how many people are actually planning to take part in the third. Unless we have a gold mine full of lurkers hanging around, it looks like the entry count could be less than this one's, which was under Sorrow's expectations. Not to mention the lack of commitment to RPs now (seriously, it's like none of the GMs give a shit anymore). If we don't get some more people interested in this, RWII won't be the problem so much as RWIII. So, and I hate to say this, it'd probably be best just to get this over with, even if it means a final round of "who gives a fuck."

That's all I have to say about that...

I thought everyones gonna be back for RWIII far as I can tell, probably plus Higs.

We need to stop talking about it. We are, all of us, or most of us, upset at the current state of this Ratings War, and are half asleep in anticipation for a sequel. It looks to me that the Sorrow obviously moves on whether he wants to or not, maybe his next round will include his defeat. But while the options are still open on alternate decisions, such as, opening up slots for new players, bringing back old players for grudge matches, or flogging Crowghast with his fingers on the keyboard until a story comes out, it all revolves around the fact that we're still trying desperately to get to the Ratings War III: An Awesome Title Inserted Here and each of our individual muses is becoming restless.

I suggest: We have a vote.

All ye who shall wish for Sorrow to continue say "Aye."

All ye who shall wish for an alternate path, say elsewise. (Not literally.)

Once the 19th page is filled, we shall tally the votes... or something like that, Sorrow should conduct it, it's his RP after all...

Armitage Shanks:
I thought everyones gonna be back for RWIII far as I can tell, probably plus Higs.

Got that right. I don't think the interest has gotten any cooler at all. I've managed to get Dastardos to join, and I just might get Nuke too. In fact, I think he said he's going to be in it. Now I just have to make sure he sticks to his words.

So yeah, Revenent is probably alone in that. That is not to say many have gotten impatient. That is natural, but I still think we should stick to the system that exists for a reason.

The Sorrow shall continue. Or as Crowie would have me say: "Aye."

Yeah I want in on RWIII. Flying-Emu is also joining. Getting Vid20 and Fullmetalangel to also join sure would be cool.

I have crafted my character for quite some time now, and am quite ready to use him.

I have been reading previous battles from 1 and 2 in hopes of being a worthy contestant in 3.

elsewise, I honestly think that the best thing to do is take the path of "who gives a fuck" and name Khedive the winner of RW2

because I already know what will happen if we force sorrow to continue, He will write a totally phoned in story... or maybe not a story at all. Call me quick to jump to the easy option, but giving the state of massive clusterfuck that this thing is in by your double forfeit, my honest opinion is that it's better to just end this thing here and now and move on to new and better things.

I'm sure that's what I want, it's likely what Sorrow wants, and everybody else walks away happy... sort of

but that's just one Toughie's opinion, and no matter how much it goes against the masses, I'm not changing it

I'm not even touching the double-forfeit issue, but I just want to say that I am also taking part in RWIII. I have a character that I've been raring to use for a long time now.

I will decline to vote. I'll do whatever you guys decide is best.

As far as RW3, I actually think interest in that will be the highest yet. As far as I know, we have pretty much everyone from the last two in addition to some great new people. I'm not worried about how that one will fare. I'm more troubled about how this one will end.

I'm not putting myself forward as a possible contender for the actual prize, but I feel like I have at least a few more Misfortune Teller stories in me, so if anyone is up for a fight, I'm ready for you.

Hey Msh, if you want to go back in time you could write a battle for Julian

I'm sure that everybody here (Myself included) would love to see her tale of the take with a very future oriented Julian before his little... mishap

any objections?

I actually have one started. It fell victim to a bad case of "teh suxors" and I haven't gone back to fix it yet, but having pondered it a bit, I think I might be able to pull its head out of its textual ass.

SargentToughie:
Hey Msh, if you want to go back in time you could write a battle for Julian

I'm sure that everybody here (Myself included) would love to see her tale of the take with a very future oriented Julian before his little... mishap

any objections?

I'd enjoy reading it...
For what that counts

Pages PREV 1 . . . 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked