Another fucking shooting

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

You know the drill. This time it was Texas, outside a church, 27 dead so far. No mention of race or potential terrorism, so 99% chance the guy was white and we don't have a call to ban all Muslims, but we know nothing else so far. A bunch of people have offered up thoughts and prayers, having gotten a lot of practice the last few times it happened and it'll be good practice for the next few times because this is officially fucking routine for this fucking country.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/11/05/us/texas-church-shooting/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/05/us/church-shooting-texas.amp.html

I mean... can we not at least wait until identities are confirmed before we start making racially charged remarks about theoretical identities of the attacker? The bodies aren't even cold and you're starting with the politically shit-slinging.

I know I'm not one for the moral high ground, but at least I like to have the facts with me in my little moral trench.

Catnip1024:
I mean... can we not at least wait until identities are confirmed before we start making racially charged remarks about theoretical identities of the attacker? The bodies aren't even cold and you're starting with the politically shit-slinging.

I know I'm not one for the moral high ground, but at least I like to have the facts with me in my little moral trench.

Hey, feel free to prove me wrong, but I think we both know that's a long shot. If he had been brown it would've all over the news and so would the word terrorist. We saw this with the Vegas shooter, it's not rocket science. But hey, you go ahead and get mad at me for half a sentence that expresses anger for people who jump to conclusions with shootings, the thing you have a problem with me for doing when I doubt you'd be that upset if this guy was brown and everyone was calling him a terrorist.

I'm not going to apologize for pointing out patterns in something that has become disgustingly fucking routine. I'm fed up with this whole fucking circus act we call a country. I know we've been through this fucking song and dance enough to have a well planned out routine, but I don't feel like following it.

EDIT: Oh look at that. I was right. Because it was an easy conclusion to make.

They're probably not calling it a terrorist attack because it likely wasn't a terrorist attack. Rural Texas isn't exactly a major target for terrorist acts.

Maybe this was more of a personal grudge taken to an extreme (similar to the way many school shootings are). Guess we'll see once more details are released.

Dirty Hipsters:
They're probably not calling it a terrorist attack because it likely wasn't a terrorist attack. Rural Texas isn't exactly a major target for terrorist acts.

Maybe this was more of a personal grudge taken to an extreme (similar to the way many school shootings are). Guess we'll see once more details are released.

I doubt that would've stopped some people from jumping the gun. And I still stand by my prediction that he's white since we haven't heard anything about his race.

If I seem bitter, it's because I am. I'm fucking tired of how normal and predictable this has fucking become.

It was a white guy. Ex-Air Force with a dishonorable discharge, killed after a chase with police, 26 years old. Good thing all those Good Guys With Guns (TM) were there to prevent him from killing 26 people.

White guy kills a bunch of people = it's a violent act by a mentally unstable person.
Non-white guy kills a bunch of people = it's an act of terrorism.

Another week, hell, day, another shooting.

Before anyone talks about any kind of gun control...
Remember, a bunch of WHITE KIDS got murdered and nothing was done, you really think a church shooting is going to change that?

BeetleManiac:
Good thing all those Good Guys With Guns (TM) were there to prevent him from killing 26 people.

"It lasted about 15 seconds," she said.

Another strike against the GGWAG myth.

If I say "The Race of Peace strikes again", am I going to get inundated with replies accusing me of being a muslim terrorist apologist anti-westerner communist?

Despite the fact that it's said to point out how judging and entire race like this is stupid whether they're muslim or white?

Despite my open disdain for all organized religion, the fact I want terrorists locked up and for us to stop creating/arming them, and the fact I enjoy Canadian culture and think Capitalism is a good thing so long as it has tight regulations to prevent them from abusing people?

Just asking.

BeetleManiac:
Good thing all those Good Guys With Guns (TM) were there to prevent him from killing 26 people.

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/927322753916600322

Apparently they did.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

BeetleManiac:

Apparently they did.

So because one random person returned fire, that means the aforementioned casualties didn't actually happen?

aegix drakan:
If I say "The Race of Peace strikes again", am I going to get inundated with replies accusing me of being a muslim terrorist apologist anti-westerner communist?

Despite the fact that it's said to point out how judging and entire race like this is stupid whether they're muslim or white?

Despite my open disdain for all organized religion, the fact I want terrorists locked up and for us to stop creating/arming them, and the fact I enjoy Canadian culture and think Capitalism is a good thing so long as it has tight regulations to prevent them from abusing people?

Just asking.

Well of course it's ok to judge all muslims, because their civilization isn't compatible with Western values. When a white guy does it, he's just a lone wolf, or mentally ill.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Apparently they did.

Not according to a spokesman from the Texas Department of Public Safety. Apparently the gunman was only fired on after he exited the church after the shooting.

Outside the church after the shooting, a resident shot at the man with a rifle, and the gunman dropped his rifle, a spokesman at the Texas Department of Public Safety, Freeman Martin, said at the news conference

So no, a good guy with a gun did not stop the shooting or save lives.

I say we ban all white men from entering the USA

Jux:

Well of course it's ok to judge all muslims, because their civilization isn't compatible with Western values. When a white guy does it, he's just a lone wolf, or mentally ill.

As ironic as you're trying to make this sound, it is telling that for white Christians to actually catch up to the rate of such incidents as we see from the Muslim minority in Western countries you'd need a lot more of such attacks to happen. Like, a shit tone. In the US we're talking about significantly more then 10 times the frequency they happen at. And that is excluding the big one that we're supposed to ignore for some reason.

On that note, seems the guy was an atheist (making this the first such attack in a while of its nature that wasn't aimed at a government institution since that's what atheists usually target). Though to no one's surprise despite whites being the third least likely demographic to kill you (second only to Asians and Natives) in the US, the old false equivalency between that and the most likely demographic to kill you is being made (because the American far left seems to have failed Maths as much as they did economics, which isn't surprising but still guess No Child Left Behind didn't work), and for some reason despite the fact that gun violence is almost inversely proportional to how strict gun laws are, and that most issues with gun violence that aren't part of the drug war stem from lack of enforcing laws that already exist, we already see the "ban everything at all cost" types out in force. Which is surprising because these same people tend to be against Trump and the GOP, the people who are the literal reason why those guns are permitted.

Guess politics is whatever is convenient for the next 5 minutes these days, not convictions one holds because of a core belief structure.

undeadsuitor:

The sad part is there are radical leftists who unironically believe this and are so disconnected from reality that they think it'll make things better. Because fuck crime statistics and criminology I guess.

Zontar:

Jux:

As ironic as you're trying to make this sound, it is telling that for white Christians to actually catch up to the rate of such incidents as we see from the Muslim minority in Western countries you'd need a lot more of such attacks to happen. Like, a shit tone. In the US we're talking about significantly more then 10 times the frequency they happen at. And that is excluding the big one that we're supposed to ignore for some reason.

On that note, seems the guy was an atheist (making this the first such attack in a while of its nature that wasn't aimed at a government institution since that's what atheists usually target). Though to no one's surprise despite whites being the third least likely demographic to kill you (second only to Asians and Natives) in the US, the old false equivalency between that and the most likely demographic to kill you is being made (because the American far left seems to have failed Maths as much as they did economics, which isn't surprising but still guess No Child Left Behind didn't work), and for some reason despite the fact that gun violence is almost inversely proportional to how strict gun laws are, and that most issues with gun violence that aren't part of the drug war stem from lack of enforcing laws that already exist, we already see the "ban everything at all cost" types out in force. Which is surprising because these same people tend to be against Trump and the GOP, the people who are the literal reason why those guns are permitted.

Guess politics is whatever is convenient for the next 5 minutes these days, not convictions one holds because of a core belief structure.

I love how you went off on a tangent designed to target arguments that no one in the thread brought up. Maybe one person, off handily, made a comment about gun control, but he wasn't one of the people you replied to. In fact, I'm not sure you addressed any of the issues anyone brought up in this thread.

Zontar:

undeadsuitor:

The sad part is there are radical leftists who unironically believe this and are so disconnected from reality that they think it'll make things better. Because fuck crime statistics and criminology I guess.

"crime statistics" pins white men for the majority of mass shootings though. Like "more than the next three races combined" majority.

This is a terrible tragedy, and thoughts and prayers go to everyone affected. My main concern is how I feel like I'm losing the ability to get angry at these types of events. So much violence continues to happen in different forms, and I fear that over time I will reach a point that I just accept these events.

erttheking:

Maybe one person, off handily, made a comment about gun control, but he wasn't one of the people you replied to.

I'm seeing it all over social media, it's already a major discussion being had despite the fact the results will be predictable as always (some people will want unreasonable regulations that will never pass, some will want reasonable ones that already exist but because of the media there's a perception it doesn't, some will point out that we need to find a way to enforce existing laws and some will just be angry that we're having this fruitless discussion all over again when the government can't even properly phase weed into legality right).

undeadsuitor:

"crime statistics" pins white men for the majority of mass shootings though. Like "more than the next three races combined" majority.

Must be using an odd definition of "mass shootings" that isn't the FBI's "4 or more people either injured or killed", since that puts African Americans at the top.

Though even if your numbers are true, given how the "next three races combined" is still outnumbered 4 to 1 by whites, it would be a surprise if anything else was the case (though given the gang violence the US I need some FBI stats to believe this is one facet of gun violence black men aren't the worst offenders for in raw numbers). It's kind of like how for terrorism whites and Muslims have killed a comparable number of people since 9/11 (with Muslims just edging out by a few dozen deaths), but that stems from 1% of the population vs 70% of it. Not exactly an enviable comparison.

Super Cyborg:
I fear that over time I will reach a point that I just accept these events.

Well it's just as London's mayor Sadiq Khan has stated: this is just part and parcel of it all.

Zontar:

undeadsuitor:

The sad part is that there are mainstream rightists who unironically believe banning all non-white people from entering the US and are so racist that they think it will make things better. Because fuck human decency and all the evil white people shooting and raping everyone.

Zontar:

I'm seeing it all over social media,

Then go talk about it there with the people actually making the arguments. I don't bring up every argument I've seen a conservative made when I'm talking with you.

erttheking:
I don't bring up every argument I've seen a conservative made when I'm talking with you.

I don't know, you have a bad habit of responding to things I didn't say and it's something I've pointed out for what, 2 years now?

Zontar:

erttheking:
I don't bring up every argument I've seen a conservative made when I'm talking with you.

I don't know, you have a bad habit of responding to things I didn't say and it's something I've pointed out for what, 2 years now?

I have to say, if you have such a problem with this theoretical thing I do, I find it odd you're following in my footsteps.

Zontar:

Super Cyborg:

Well it's just as London's mayor Sadiq Khan has stated: this is just part and parcel of it all.

Ok, yeah, bad things happen in life and you can't stop it all. So I worded my worries wrong, because I know that bad events are part of life, and we can never eliminate it. My worry is that I will just figure why bother getting upset and never even try to think of a way to make things better. I don't want to lose the ability to feel what I do when events like these happen, and reach a point where something like this happens and I feel nothing at all.

Then again, only in the past year have I really started trying to read up on what's happening in the world, and this may be part of my frustration of not being able to keep up with everything.

Zontar:

Must be using an odd definition of "mass shootings" that isn't the FBI's "4 or more people either injured or killed", since that puts African Americans at the top.

Have a hard link for that? Because literally every chart I look up no matter which source says otherwise

Though even if your numbers are true, given how the "next three races combined" is still outnumbered 4 to 1 by whites, it would be a surprise if anything else was the case (though given the gang violence the US I need some FBI stats to believe this is one facet of gun violence black men aren't the worst offenders for in raw numbers). It's kind of like how for terrorism whites and Muslims have killed a comparable number of people since 9/11 (with Muslims just edging out by a few dozen deaths), but that stems from 1% of the population vs 70% of it. Not exactly an enviable comparison.

and here's where the kicker was. Other crime doesn't matter because my joke was about immigration bans. Immigrates from muslim countries aren't banned to protect gas stations, it's to 'prevent terrorism'. Therefore, we should block white male immigration to stop our problems with white male mass shootings.

get it

Super Cyborg:

Zontar:

Super Cyborg:

Ok, yeah, bad things happen in life and you can't stop it all. So I worded my worries wrong, because I know that bad events are part of life, and we can never eliminate it. My worry is that I will just figure why bother getting upset and never even try to think of a way to make things better. I don't want to lose the ability to feel what I do when events like these happen, and reach a point where something like this happens and I feel nothing at all.

Then again, only in the past year have I really started trying to read up on what's happening in the world, and this may be part of my frustration of not being able to keep up with everything.

The problem is all the gun nuts who will either not come in here because they know they are wrong but wont admit it, or will come later and be openly wrong but use racism to 'justify' their gun-nutship.

Too many people want to kick out Mexicans but keep the guns. But time after time its shown that Mexicans 'stealing jobs' is not the problem that guns stealing lives is.

But hey, I guess if these people need all these jobs Mexicans are supposedly stealing, all these murders will open up some jobs eh? Vegas is probably hiring, now Texas is too.

aegix drakan:

Just asking.

What is difficult to grasp about "ironic" racism is still racism?

undeadsuitor:
Other crime doesn't matter because my joke was about immigration bans. Immigrates from muslim countries aren't banned to protect gas stations, it's to 'prevent terrorism'. Therefore, we should block white male immigration to stop our problems with white male mass shootings.

get it

The joke doesn't really hold up given the fact that most Muslim terrorism is coming from first or second generation immigrants (which to be fair is about the totality of the Muslim population in the US so it would be a little hard for it to come from elsewhere) while the near totality of white terrorism is of a domestic source and, as left wing outlets love to point out, overall legal immigrants tend to commit less crime then native born citizens do (though they then turn around and use this to defend illegal immigrants, who be definition are all criminals without exception)

Super Cyborg:

This probably is a major factor in it all. Overall gun violence has been on a downward trend for the past 30 years, with a few cities seeing an upturn over the past few years that's so small there's a debate as to whether or not it's even real. Yet with the way some people talk about gun crime you'd think we where living in the 70s where random daylight shootings in the streets where the norm in pretty much every major city.

Tanis:
White guy kills a bunch of people = it's a violent act by a mentally unstable person.

Except a lot of the non-white mass shoots (Gang related often) aren't categorized as terrorist attacks. The reason a lot of white people are labeled a mentally unstable is because they don't have a reason to do it, if they had been on record screaming "FUCK TRUMP" or "FUCK CLINTON" or whatever then it would qualify as terrorism because it would be politically motivated (Like the ones who shout GOD IS GREAT while they are doing shit.)

For it to be terrorism there has to be a political motivation for it. Unless thats one more word you are trying to water down until it means absolutely nothing. "OMG that guy cut me off in traffic, that racist, sexist, bigoted, terrorist fucktard!"

Tanis:

Well, there's more categories than that. If it's a black guy, it's a "chimp out" and justifies why dindunuffins need to be put back into slavery. If it's a hispanic, BUILD THAT WALL!

Not sure if the redpills have something for asians yet.

On that note, seems the guy was an atheist (making this the first such attack in a while of its nature that wasn't aimed at a government institution since that's what atheists usually target).

Oh okay, so it will be a "WE NEED TO GET THIS COUNTRY BACK TO JESUS" narrative from them.

Smithnikov:

Tanis:

Well, there's more categories than that. If it's a black guy, it's a "chimp out" and justifies why dindunuffins need to be put back into slavery. If it's a hispanic, BUILD THAT WALL!

Not sure if the redpills have something for asians yet.

They probably can't come to a consensus on one yet because they're torn between their waifu pillow fantasies and their racial bigotry.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here