If America is gone, would that make poor countries rich?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Okay, so according to people on YouTube and Quora, America is the reason why poor countries exist.

Now if America is gone and by gone I mean totally gone, as in all 320,000,000 of them are dead, not just their government,?? would that make poor countries rich countries?

Oh and I forgot to add...... if so, why doesn't the world kill them all?

dontwastemytime:
Okay, so according to people on YouTube and Quora, America is the reason why poor countries exist.

Well, I think we found the problem here. You're listening to people from Youtube and Quora. Poor countries existed before america and will exist after America.

Ok, at face value that's a stupid question.

But, from a legal standpoint, if everyone in the US died tomorrow, who'd inherit their stuff?

Your last thread just got locked and you're back at it already? Come on man.

dontwastemytime:

No one here made that argument, ergo, you won't get any answers here. Why don't you ask YouTube and Quora themselves?

erttheking:
Your last thread just got locked and you?re back at it already? Come on man.

Nah, this was made before the last one was locked. But, I second the coming on.

You are confusing two very different questions. The first is "why are poor countries poor", and the second is "how do we stop poor countries being poor".

The influence of the USA is certainly a big part of why poor countries (remain) poor. That does not mean that destroying the USA would result in those poor countries becoming richer. In fact, quite the opposite.

The economies of rich and poor countries alike are interconnected through a system of global capitalism which has existed since the 19th century. Poor countries remain poor because this system does not reward their contribution (in terms of resources and labour) to this global economy as much as it does the contribution of capital from richer countries.

However, this economic interdependence means that poorer countries are still dependent on rich countries, particularly the USA, to maintain current rates of growth and economic development because these countries lack the local base of capital required to support their own growth. In this sense, the USA functions as a driver of global economic growth, and yet this growth still disproportionately benefits the USA itself over the countries which depend on it.

So yes, the USA plays a role in maintaining global wealth inequality and keeping poor countries poor. Destroying the USA, however, would devastate countries exposed to US markets, including most of the poorer countries in the world.

I love the ironic username, by the way. That's a nice touch.

Thaluikhain:

But, from a legal standpoint, if everyone in the US died tomorrow, who'd inherit their stuff?

Interesting to note that intestate succession (who gets your stuff and how much if you die without a will) varies from state to state.
Some states have a cutoff for how distantly related you can be, while others hypothetically allow for any distant cousins to inherit, supposing that they are the only living relatives.
However all this is contingent on there being Americans to enforce American law, and if everyone here died, there really wouldn't be. Except for the expats abroad, although they might die too.

You know what? I'll have to get back to you on this one.

CM156:

Pleeeeease tell me you aren't about to kill off all Americans to find out what happens.

Thaluikhain:

CM156:

Pleeeeease tell me you aren't about to kill off all Americans to find out what happens.

not even for science?

Thaluikhain:

The quickest looters because you can't law with no one to enforce them.

Thaluikhain:

CM156:

It's the scientific method.
Actually, since I won't be alive to observe it, I don't know how useful it would be.

Have you tried killing all the poor?

Thaluikhain:

erttheking:

Nah, this was made before the last one was locked. But, I second the coming on.

I want to third this coming on. The previous thread had some debate value, even if it was a little baity. But the premise of this one, that America is the cause of poor people is about as absurd as video games cause violence.

Poor people, unfortunately, existed before America and will for all of human history afterwards.

It would decrease the price of fuel. Also allow for countries to formulate better terms of trade on crude. So one imagines consumption would be greater in poorer countries. 'Rich' is perhaps a bit much, but total consumption of energy would likely increase in poor nations assuming supply was also increased.

The primary consumption forces in the world is food, fertiliser, fuel and fodder ... all of which underpinned by numerous factors, but the primary motivator of food and fodder prices will be access and total supply of crude.

As we know from economic determinism, the nation that consumes a lot of energy by capita ultimately lives better in general. That rising energy consumption by capita is the clearest means to raise living quality.

You won't be 'rich' if you merely consume a lot of energy by capita, but at least you won't starve. Increased energy consumption has the added benefit of automating aspects of your life. Like having cheap power means washing machines while you work. It means having computers to study and co-ordinate on projects. It means being able to easily maintaina vehicle that lets you commute.

A government that truly cares about its people tries to give all of its citizenry as cheap power as possible, as equitably as possible...

Arguably, assuming we ever reach that state, one of the most important hypothetical 'aspirational human rights' a country should try to achieve is total lack of homelessness, and total affordability of electricity and fuel.

And there is a good argument there that the U.S. gets in the way of that considerably.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
It would decrease the price of fuel. Also allow for countries to formulate better terms of trade on crude. So one imagines consumption would be greater in poorer countries.

'Rich' is perhaps a bit much, buttotal consumption of energy would likely increase in poor nations assuming supply was also increased.

Also if 300 million Americans died out on the 3rd/4th largest nation in terms of landmass (We're very close to China) would provide a lot of living space.

CM156:

Also if 300 million Americans died out on the 3rd/4th largest nation in terms of landmass (We're very close to China) would provide a lot of living space.

I read the question more as; "if the U.S. utterly disappeared from global consumption trends...", but I guess there's that, too.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

CM156:

I read the question more as; "if the U.S. utterly disappeared from global consumption trends...", but I guess there's that, too.

And unlike, say, just to name a country, Australia, our massive space is actually habitable and not full of venomous emus and drop bears and whatnot.

CM156:

And unlike, say, just to name a country, Australia, our massive space is actually habitable and not full of venomous emus and drop bears and whatnot.

You forgot our neurotoxic trees that grow glass-like spines on springy branches and wrack you with burning, stinging pain for years.

Also our jellyfish that kills you via a heart attack. Caused by making your brain register every type of pain imaginable, spikes your blood pressure, and cripples you with a sense of suicidal ideation. Thinking there is an unmentionable doom that is about to envelop the planet and you don't want to be around to see it.

It's more interesting than merely getting eaten by a mountain lion. At least our flora and fauna are imaginative in how they kill you. Actually Irukandji syndrome isn't so bad... I got hit during a training exercise. You get a leather bit... bite down hard on it ... you'll be fine. Don't use vinegar, however. Apparently it can make it worse... though if you don't know what you've been stung by, vinegar is better than nothing.

If the landmass that is the United states were to disappear then ocean levels would sink significantly due to the loss of almost a continent of landmass.
Also sea trade between Europe and Asia would be cheaper.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

CM156:

You forgot our neurotoxic trees that grow glass-like spines on springy branches and wrack you with burning, stinging pain for years.

Also our jellyfish that kills you via a heart attack. Caused by making your brain register every type of pain imaginable, spikes your blood pressure, and cripples you with a sense of suicidal ideation. Thinking there is an unmentionable doom that is about to envelop the planet and you don't want to be around to see it.

It's more interesting than merely getting eaten by a mountain lion. At least our flora and fauna are imaginative in how they kill you. Actually Irukandji syndrome isn't so bad... I got hit during a training exercise. You get a leather bit... bite down hard on it ... you'll be fine. Don't use vinegar, however. Apparently it can make it worse... though if you don't know what you've been stung by, vinegar is better than nothing.

Also, don't eucalyptus trees explode in fire in order to spread their seeds?

Why did God make Australia?

CM156:

Because the rest of you are so boring, and don't know how to relax and have fun.

CM156:

Addendum_Forthcoming:

CM156:

For all those who want to live on edge.

And the beaches. If you ever come here, try Whitehaven beach in the Whitaundays. As an Aussie who can cough onto 20 beaches in one go, it's exceptionally beautiful.

CM156:

Addendum_Forthcoming:
It would decrease the price of fuel. Also allow for countries to formulate better terms of trade on crude. So one imagines consumption would be greater in poorer countries.

'Rich' is perhaps a bit much, buttotal consumption of energy would likely increase in poor nations assuming supply was also increased.

Is it reverse Amercian exptionalism then? Also, is the term specific to the landmass or the whiteness of your skin? Becuase, at least the version of the 1800s, seems to be more about race.

The trick is, it isn't America that causes poor countries to be poor (at least not completely), it's that most of the time they have nothing of value to trade on a global scale. When to large a chunk of your population has to focus on tasks like food production, you're stuck in a cycle of personal maintenance rather then personal enrichment. And... that does come at a disadvantage to all, as the more people who's goals align with yours, the faster you'll reach those goals. So raising the standard of living everywhere creates more need for luxury items and services.

Where you come into a snag is this, do I hire five people from a poorer country that I have to train to preform a task that will move the needle on progress in my field of business, or do I build a robot that'll work like five people and I only have to train once? Automation will be the deciding factor on if poor countries prosper and move up, or get crippled by a lack of need in the market. And that is a problem for today, now, while we have the ability to focus help to others. Because the longer we wait the more likely we won't be prepared to handle the unemployment. Which is doubly crippling for America, as it moves further toward service jobs as it's main employment. We're already seeing fast food try to replace servers with robots (Hardee's C.E.O. masturbates to that idea every night), and more of the U.S. is underemployeed every year. Full time labor not paying a living wage.

For being the richest country in the world, some states aren't above the poorest countries when it comes to standards of living. So it's a little shitty to phrase your question like that, as if every single American is rolling in money and scoffing at the struggles of other countries. In some areas, just keeping the lights on takes every dime you got. We're not in a better position then you are (save a slight advantage on preventable diseases and infrastructure etc.).

Now, here's my question to you. What the fuck is wrong with you? What makes you so fucking gung-ho to blame the US for everyone's problem or suggest we're a scourge of evil to be destroyed. Every thread you made is designed without consideration of the prospect of a bigger problem, or even a moment of empathy towards the majority of the American population just trying to survive. What country are you from? Do you think any other power will grant you lenience if the US is gone, or will you be making threads about China, Russia, etc next until only where you are is left. Or are you from the US too, and this is some sort of self loathing, arm chair argument that comes from someone who's got theirs and has the luxury of time to wag a finger even as they lap at the teat of the same machine they say they detest.

And... and here's the thing. Why doesn't the US spread out and destroy every other country? If we was so god damned evil, what stops us from merely picking a random day and riding hell over the rest of the world all at once? Because we're not some cartoon villain twirling our mustaches. Mass conflict isn't in our best interest (though minor wars benefit the military industrial complex, which is actually AGAINST most American's opinion and is a separate problem that should be addressed), and for the most part individual Americans are mostly harmless, wanting nothing more then to be successful enough to have a decent standard of living and sporting little ill will towards others (even if their views or knowledge of said others is incorrect or limited. Which is more often then not). We have some loud dumb people here, and they find themselves on tv far to often which paints a picture that doesn't jive with the actual majority of Americans. I'll admit, a lot of our problem is a lack of education of other people. The more exposed the American people get to other cultures and countries, the less easy it is to breed fear in to those people which seems to be the last real tool demagogues and despots have to creating the conflicts we have today. You kinda only get the hyper-patriotism in locations that are locked away from real connections to the rest of the world. The middle of the U.S. that is isolated from major port or hub. Florida is a great example of that on a small scale. The cities around the edges tend to be more open, progressive, and mellow as they gather from trade and people from around the world. Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, etc. Your central towns tend to be less trustful of other cultures, more nationalist. Anywhere where you can't just point to a neighbor and say "what the fuck are you talking about, they're not like that", you find people who spread fear in order to push out others for their own gain.

You can't destroy the US from outside means. You just can't, as most all doomsday level plans would spread outside the red zone and kill whole countries neighboring the US. Nukes, super virus, etc. We're so connected to the rest of everything we'd either spread it through your ranks as quickly as it hits us, or we'd collapse and take our infrastructure with us, plunging the world back into the dark ages as the millions of tiny ways we keep everyone else afloat crashes.

I say this from a town who studies say will be underwater in my lifetime. We actually don't give a shit. We are far to self centered to be evil. Because evil has a plan, and fuck nobody here does outside the small ring of needs we have. We're only a true danger when you fuck up enough that we collectively focus on you. Pearl Harbor, 9-11, etc. If you do something stupid, we'll fucking raise you stupid. Collectively, we're fucking best at stupid. Instead of fighting the US the worse thing you could do is aid the US in such a way that you raise the poor to a functional standard of living. Because those poor with the luxury of time to focus on novelty would forget you existed. We'd be an island to ourselves, crushing candy and taking selfies and not giving two shits what happens elsewhere. Escapism is the greatest threat to the power behind the US.

dontwastemytime:

Which is basically saying "According to random people probably of no particular knowledge or understanding whatsoever, X is the case"

Obviously, no, America does not make countries poor in the most obvious sense. Countries are rich because they have sophisticated legal, political, physical infrastructure and an educated populace that support highly productive industry. Removing the USA would not create that in other countries. This requires the work of decades, even centuries, of development. Distributing the US populace across a lot of developing countries probably would increase their productivity, however, by assisting this development.

In the other sense, to what extent does the USA damage the economic growth of other countries? Arguably, the USA signs trade deals which benefit the USA relatively more than other countries. One might argue that US capital, whilst assisting economic growth to some extent, also results in widespread removal of the profits of industry from other countries to the USA. The USA may also (largely via bodies like the IMF) promote economic systems and forms of development on other countries not non-optimal to those countries. It may also deleteriously interfere with local politics (funding guerrillas, supporting dictators) that protect US interests at the expense of local development. And so on.

Hades:

dontwastemytime:

Well, I think we found the problem here. You're listening to people from Youtube and Quora. Poor countries existed before america and will exist after America.

But people on Quora are smart..... so why shouldn't I listen to them. Did you not see their PhD's, their masters, their education and stuff?

Agema:

dontwastemytime:

In the other sense, to what extent does the USA damage the economic growth of other countries? Arguably, the USA signs trade deals which benefit the USA relatively more than other countries. One might argue that US capital, whilst assisting economic growth to some extent, also results in widespread removal of the profits of industry from other countries to the USA. The USA may also (largely via bodies like the IMF) promote economic systems and forms of development on other countries not non-optimal to those countries. It may also deleteriously interfere with local politics (funding guerrillas, supporting dictators) that protect US interests at the expense of local development. And so on.

So....... in other words, if America never existed, the world would be better????

Armadox:
Now, here's my question to you. What the fuck is wrong with you? What makes you so fucking gung-ho to blame the US for everyone's problem or suggest we're a scourge of evil to be destroyed. Every thread you made is designed without consideration of the prospect of a bigger problem, or even a moment of empathy towards the majority of the American population just trying to survive. What country are you from? Do you think any other power will grant you lenience if the US is gone, or will you be making threads about China, Russia, etc next until only where you are is left. Or are you from the US too, and this is some sort of self loathing, arm chair argument that comes from someone who's got theirs and has the luxury of time to wag a finger even as they lap at the teat of the same machine they say they detest.

But....... that's what they say on YouTube!!!! And Quorarararararara, so I have no choice to believe it! And not to mention I am sick and tired of it and the only way for it to end is for all of you to die!!!! Oh and by the way, they say on Quora, that people, as in the world will be celebrating when you are gone....hmmm maybe that's a good question right there. I'll ask that later.

And I'm sorry but for as long as they say it, I will keep asking why you the world hasn't killed all of you yet. So.......yeah.... and as for empathy towards you and you trying to survive and all those other crap you said....... I don't care.

Oh and here, I want you to see this and if you want to, skip it to 0:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvXXmI13JI

See, even he says that you are the biggest bunch of idiots that EVER EXISTED...... MAN!!!!

He says, that EVERYTHING you believe in is wrong.

He also goes on to say....... you know what, you might not watch the video so let me just point it out........
he says that there is too much corruption where you live AND THAT everything, as in all the problems started with YOU...... therefore it will ALL END with you..... by being dead.

See......... I am not the only one.

And yes, maybe when you're gone and the people who keep blaming you blame someone else, then I'll start asking why the world hasn't killed the people of the country that they are blaming.

Oh and I'm from the Philippines.

Edit:

Oh......hahahaha, I didn't watch the entire video all the way through..... HE also said that "ALL THE WORST PEOPLE LIVE THERE"!!! ALL! ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL!

So......yeah

evilthecat:
So yes, the USA plays a role in maintaining global wealth inequality and keeping poor countries poor. Destroying the USA, however, would devastate countries exposed to US markets, including most of the poorer countries in the world.

I read in Quora that the world will manage..... So since you are from one of the most powerful countries and continents can you British people please kill them all?

Oh and it is a pity that your ancestors didn't fight hard enough...

Addendum_Forthcoming:
And there is a good argument there that the U.S. gets in the way of that considerably.

So why doesn't the world kill them all already so that poverty, homelessness, hunger and all those other bad things will disappear?

Thaluikhain:

We, the rest of the world. The Philippines should get California and Washington, the British can have their original 13 colonies, France can get back theirs and so will Mexico and Russia of course can get back Alaska. Puerto Rico can have their independence and can finally be rich and so will Hawaii.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.......... to be honest I'm getting tired.

The world can share it, there,...... the world can share it with one another.

erttheking:

I don't care. I can make plenty, don't be there next time if you don't want to get upset.

dontwastemytime:

But people on Quora are smart..... so why shouldn't I listen to them. Did you not see their PhD's, their masters, their education and stuff?

Firstly, does Quora verify those qualifications are genuine and accredited, or is anyone free to claim what they like?

Secondly, to post for the second time today this quote from Feynman:
"I believe that a scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy - and when he talks about a nonscientific matter, he will sound as naive as anyone untrained in the matter."

Or to expand outside science, someone might have qualifications, but are they relevant to what they are answering?

dontwastemytime:
So....... in other words, if America never existed, the world would be better????

I don't think that's answerable.

Although I suspect, as you say you're from the Philippines, your country might have experienced rather more of the bad side of the USA than many countries. It's pretty infuriating to run a successful war of independence against Spain and declare independence only to have the USA instantly take over at gunpoint instead.

Agema:

dontwastemytime:

[quote="dontwastemytime" post="528.1055166.24238111"]So....... in other words, if America never existed, the world would be better????

I don't think that's answerable.

Although I suspect, as you say you're from the Philippines, your country might have experienced rather more of the bad side of the USA than many countries. It's pretty infuriating to run a successful war of independence against Spain and declare independence only to have the USA instantly take over at gunpoint instead.

Actually.......no, not at all. I don't think of those things when I write these things, in fact I never even thought of it until you brought it up.

In fact and don't tell this to anyone..... I hate my country...... I hate my country so much...... I hate it because it asked for independence only to end up being poor and miserable.

So yea.....

All I care about is seeing a world without them because I want to see, primarily what happens to their haters? Will they be at peace? Will they blame someone else? Yeah.... that's pretty much it.......

CaitSeith:

dontwastemytime:

No one here made that argument, ergo, you won't get any answers here. Why don't you ask YouTube and Quora themselves?

YouTube...... I want lot's and lot's of people to read my stuff so.......

Quora....... actually I did ask this on Quora and like this site some of them said yes......but they give out way too long answers with too much.......they try to make it sound intelligent to the point that I just get bored.......

Edit:

Wait a minute, you're Canadian????? I thought all Canadians hated them!!!! I'm gonna ask in the future "why doesn't the Commonwealth of Nations destroy America"...... would like that?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked