Pokemon is SATANIC!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Just a FYI, this is NOT a place to bash Christianity or Pikachu but...

Also declares Video Games, Role Playing Games, Rock Music, Cable TV, The Internet and Dungeons & Dragons to be SATANIC.

While I'm sure a few will have their blood boiling, and I know most Christians will denounce this cock-mongler, what can be done to stop people like him claiming these false accusations?

(Take a look at his audience: They actually believe)

Wasn't there a thread with this very video in the Off-Topic section yesterday? Shame on you for a repeat! Shame!

I'll say what I said yesterday though: This guy is clearly a corrupt self-hater. My bet? Prostitutes and at least one illicit substance.

Here was yesterday's thread by the way.

I'm calling Poe. I can't even watch the video here and I'm calling Poe.

The_root_of_all_evil:

While I'm sure a few will have their blood boiling, and I know most Christians will denounce this cock-mongler, what can be done to stop people like him claiming these false accusations?

Nothing can stop people from spouting their beliefs. If we had a way, I guarantee you that Fred Phelps would be placed before people like this guy, in terms of who to stfu first. Why bother being upset about it, though? It's not like people like this guy have done anything to stop me from playing videogame X or videogame Y. Fuck 'em. Let 'em enjoy their game of bingo.

Amnestic:
Wasn't there a thread with this very video in the Off-Topic section yesterday? Shame on you for a repeat! Shame!

Damn, my bad. I sb'd the Politics forum but not Offtopic.

I don't know about Satanic. But considering countries have banned inhumane blood sports like fox hunting, bear baiting, dog fighting and so on, we could wonder why there isn't more outrage about a cartoon where people make animals fight each other.

Wait... did I miss something?
Where did witchcraft come from!? Kind of a big jump that...

Unfortunately, its impossible to stop people spouting ignorance like this. Am I right in saying he's put gang warfare down to RPG's? Ugh...

Eitherway, I don't see much point in getting too worked up about it.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Just a FYI, this is NOT a place to bash Christianity or Pikachu but...

Also declares Video Games, Role Playing Games, Rock Music, Cable TV, The Internet and Dungeons & Dragons to be SATANIC.

(Take a look at his audience: They actually believe)

There's really nothing you can do to stop them, it is after all a free country. Sadly some people are this ridiculous, there are still very small groups that would murder gay people for what they do, or picket a funeral, or just say very hurtful things because they are blinded by fear and panic.

Personally this is a big reason I don't go to church, I still believe in God and Jesus, but I don't need the opinion of radicals or the uninformed clouding my judgment, so I leave it up to myself.

To think that you will be punished for reading Harry Potter, playing World of Warcraft, watching your favorite TV show is just ludicrous, these are all expressions of art and humanity, and as most rational people know, it is harmless.

Basically my only advice is to ignore them completely. I switch off Televangelist programs immediately, avoid these sort of people. Form your own opinions without being clouded by what others believe, or want to force you to believe.

I'm sorry, wut?

Pokemon are satanic!? Well, I'm definately going to hell then for my 8 years of playing pokemon (8 damn good years!).

Free speech I will defend to the death, but people like this tard seem to abuse it quite well. Disappointing.

He sounded like he was leading up to something which, if I didn't know what the video contained, might be reasonable.

I initially thought "he'll say pokemon is advocating the use of daemons to achieve goals" or something silly that he read too much into

But Witchcraft? Using a Psychic Type Card (never understood the card game) to enpower your Ghastly somehow teaches me to use a Ouiji board?

Sometimes I don't know why they don't just attack fortune tellers. At least then they've got the right target

GrinningManiac:
He sounded like he was leading up to something which, if I didn't know what the video contained, might be reasonable.

I initially thought "he'll say pokemon is advocating the use of daemons to achieve goals" or something silly that he read too much into

But Witchcraft? Using a Psychic Type Card (never understood the card game) to enpower your Ghastly somehow teaches me to use a Ouiji board?

Sometimes I don't know why they don't just attack fortune tellers. At least then they've got the right target

These people are just stupid really. I've read some stuff from people saying they used to be witches and that harry potter is a handbook for real witchcraft.

Ignoring this stuff is the best solution.

Jharry5:

Unfortunately, its impossible to stop people spouting ignorance like this. Am I right in saying he's put gang warfare down to RPG's? Ugh...

Read Carefully:

I'm a Christian but not a deeply spiritual one. I don't agree with this guy because I see god as being a benevolent force. That makes me a Christian Agnostic (as I call it) because I don't believe that any existing religion has things "right" even if the fundemental gist of Christianity is correct. I also very much doubt The Bible being a literal, mystically preserved record left behind by god for a number of reasons. I see such claims very similarly to how Protestants viewed claims of The Pope being infallible.

I explain this because I do know the logic of the general run of Christians pretty well, even if I do not agree with them.

The jump to Witchcraft makes sense. You have to understand that Christianity is an all inclusive religion. Everything either comes from god, or from Satan. There is no "other" catagory. God is very specific in what he does, and usually does not grant noticible miracles or power except in very specific situations, and only then if your one of the Christians who believes in concepts like saints and prophets (and of course according to some interpetation god pretty much said there would be no more Prophets). Implying that there are monsters, or the abillity to wield power, even indirectly, that does not come from god, is considered to be Satanic. Any form of power that does not come from god is "Witchcraft".

It should be noted that this includes benevolent powers, because by definition The Devil just needs to draw you away from god in order to "win". You could do all the good in the world but if you wielded an unholy power, or did it while worshipping something other than god, you go to hell. Christianity is very much into the "one way to heaven" thing.

Pokemon is presenting powers that do not come from god, and are not accounted for in the scriptures. Thus what is being wielded is "Witchcraft" and the Pokemon themselves could be seen as Satanic in nature. The idea being that if kids were to take this seriously, or have ideas put in their head by it that might turn into something else later, it could ruin their abillity to develop unquestioning faith and go to heaven.

His arguement is also based on the assumption that kids are incapable of telling fantasy from reality. That is true, but only to an extent, and becomes less pronounced as they get older. Even so I do not think most children have difficulty telling the differance between video games or cartoons and reality. Then again we as a species are becoming more capable with each generation, and I think today kids are smarter and more mature at an earlier age than they were just a couple of generations ago which makes dealing with them difficult.

All told, while I do not agree with him, he is being pretty consistant in his interpetation of Christianity. He is also making a point that the same logic applied to pokemon can be applied to almost anything (though he uses old whipping boys like rock music and D&D). In general pretty much anything having to do with "fantasy" or "science fiction" has been attacked at one time or another by people with that world view.

Rather than mocking him though, even if you disagree with him I suggest showing some respect. I personally have respect for most men/women of faith, even those I disagree with. My dislike of Middle Eastern culture being a rare exception that has developed.

For obvious reasons I do not think god has any problem with fantasy, science fiction, or even horror.

Remember God and Jesus hate everything except for white christians and the bible.

I love ignorant people

You know the ironic thing is, in Asia Christians are a minority.

I don't even think Japanese producers even CARED about Christianity while making their shows/games.

Also get with the times people, we aren't Puritans.

Wow, there are no words to describe the inane bullshit that spewed from that man's mouth for 3 minutes - FUCK, it's alarming how retarded people can be.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Stop these accusations? Why bother doing that when you can just laugh the stupidity of all this?

It is for people like this the reason that sniper rifles should be distributed to those who are willing to accept them. Wonder why he didn't just finish off on an encore that "Japan is the land of Satan" as he seems to be knocking the culture so much. Also, for a christian man who believes in a man who is all merciful, he doesn't show a lot of mercy to... well, anyone who doesn't live in a box with only a bible for company.

(As a matter of clarification, many of my friends are christian and I am not knocking the religon, just pricks like him who abuse religon as an output for their complaints.)

Therumancer:

Jharry5:

Rather than mocking him though, even if you disagree with him I suggest showing some respect. I personally have respect for most men/women of faith, even those I disagree with. My dislike of Middle Eastern culture being a rare exception that has developed.

For obvious reasons I do not think god has any problem with fantasy, science fiction, or even horror.

I apologise if it seemed like I was disrespecting Christianity. Whilst I don't believe myself, I have no problem with religious beliefs as long as they don't affect people who don't hold them as well. Which it seems like they would if this guy had his way.
Maybe its because my immediate family isn't that religious, but the jump between Pokemon and Satan just seemed like quite a big leap for me.

This man is a disgrace and all who followed him and believed him are disgraces! So stupid!

So did he just call the entire entertainment industry evil? How can someone believe that?

For some reason I want to play Pokemon now. Huh.

bernthalbob616:
So did he just call the entire entertainment industry evil? How can someone believe that?

I think they just want a higher figure to point the finger at.
It's just their poor excuse to blame people.

Oh for the love of...I don't mean to be hating on christians, but this is just fuel on the fire...

I like the "listen, DON'T THINK" at the end. Brilliant time to cut off.

What can I say about this? He's batshit insane, his audience is batshit insane, anyone who doesn't at least facepalm when they see this is on the way to being batshit insane...

Nothing much to discuss.

that guy is an idiot.

I can tell you I come from a family of Catholics, but they're Catholic to the point where they're in it just for the 1-hour mass and the impressive arcitecture, .

but more to the point, they never considered Pokemon to be satanic, nor displayed any sort of grudge against the entertainment industry of any kind.

they'd agree with me about him being an idiot in seconds flat.

At the end: Dont think. Funny.

Well you have to admit, he's got a pretty compelling argument...

Well good, I like Satanism and Satanists.

I guess Satan owns my soul then or something.

Amnestic:

I'll say what I said yesterday though: This guy is clearly a corrupt self-hater. My bet? Prostitutes and at least one illicit substance.

I laughed.

Although I was going to go with "I bet this guy has been hiring people to carry his luggage".

I honestly don't know how anybody can listen to this stuff with a straight face as it just sounds like a damned joke. On the other hand I read an article yesterday where a psychic had scammed 290,000 dollars out of people by convincing them that their money had evil spirits in it. I suppose that adage that there is "one born every minute" is absolutely true.

shotgunbob:
Remember God and Jesus hate everything except for white christians and the bible.

I love ignorant people

On the other hand...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3255972/Harry-Potter-fails-to-cast-spell-over-Professor-Richard-Dawkins.html

When the pokémon rage was at it's highest here. I recall a Catholic television program on tv dealt with this issue.

He started off with interviewing a young child who got scared of Drowzee after watching a episode of the anime. While this is nothing new, children get scared of a lot of cartoons.

I was scared of Dolf, of the Alfred J Kwak cartoons.

However, instead of helping the child, the tv host started telling him that pokémon were demons and were out to get children.

Later in that show, 2 kids called in to have their story told.
They were telling how they enjoyed the trading card game and the gameboy games, but when their priest told them it was evil, they burned it. And it burned with black smoke, so that was proof it was evil.

Well, instead of telling the children that black smoke means that there was too little oxygen to fully burn the components of a electric box with 1 and 0's. He kept on praising them for their blind obedience and confirmed their superstitious believes.

But we all know Pokémon is truly evil, because I never got to catch Snorlex in my copy of Red.

After his speech he goes backstage and wipe out his DS and play some Pokemanz.

cuddly_tomato:

shotgunbob:

I love ignorant people

On the other hand...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3255972/Harry-Potter-fails-to-cast-spell-over-Professor-Richard-Dawkins.html

Richard Dawkins:

"I haven't read Harry Potter, I have read Pullman who is the other leading children's author that one might mention and I love his books. I don't know what to think about magic and fairy tales."

I don't...you...he...what?

Phillip Pullman, who wrote stories about fantasy worlds? Worlds where witches fly on broomsticks, everyone has an animal totem, and giant talking bears make armour out of meteor metal? Is his argument that it's OK for an atheist author like Pullman to write these stories, but not for a religious person?

I've read the God Delusion, and found it a very good book. Nowhere near as agressive as I was expecting, and very reasonably presented. But this shit is worthy of Jack Chick. What kind of parent reads Harry Potter to their child and then tries to convince them that the stories are real?

You've let me down, Dawkins. I used to expect better from you, but it seems these days you're as fanatical as the people you oppose.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked