New school shooting. UPDATED. AGAIN.

Pages PREV 1 2

Skeleon:
It'll be interesting to learn the details on this one.

Do we have another case of "slow, often reloaded weapons" here like the last one posted on this forum? Do we have a case of a targeted shooting and they wanted to kill only a few particular people? I.e. was that even a spree shooting?
Why were there so few victims this time?

It's also kind of rarer to have more than one shooter. Wasn't Columbine the last time there were two attackers in a spree shooting in the USA or was there another shooting inbetween? If there wasn't, then that was more than a decade ago.

The DC sniper was a two man team. One spotter/driver, one shooter.

MoNKeyYy:
I've got 20 bucks down that says this was a legally purchased handgun. Know what the sad thing is, like the really pathetic thing? Literally the only distinguishing thing about this is that it happened at a college. This is barely even newsworthy and its disgusting. We've gotten to the point where I'm not even surprised when I see the 2 dead in drive by shooting, domestic dispute suspected in cause. Please, for the love of Christ someone defend this. Someone stand up and say "This is just an anomaly". Tell me "handguns aren't dangerous". Tell me "more guns make for safer society". Come out and claim that people who have guns won't find cause to use them from time to time. Tell me, when multiple homicides are so commonplace as to be nearly an expectation that you should be free to have guns but I shouldn't be free from them. Tell me exactly why I should trust you not to panic and shoot me for no reason. Tell me what about the constitution is so infallible that I can't question it and tell me why you think that god himself wants you to have your guns. Tell me all that and maybe I'll start to consider your paranoid obsession that you NEED your gun as important as the security of my family and community.

This isn't a question of assault weapons. This isn't an issue of armor piercing rounds, or magazine capacity. This is an issue of giving people free access to dangerous killing machines and expecting that there isn't one person who's gonna use it to kill. You want to collect them? Fine, deactivate them or keep the ammo at a range. You want to shoot them for fun? Go for some nice safe target practice at a shooting gallery. You want to hunt? Fine, keep it tucked away, unloaded in a case and whip it out in a licenced hunting area. But your fun isn't more important than my life, and if its everyone or no one I pick no one.

Cheers to this. Just got a new gun safe, no longer keep ammo at the house. Buy when I go to the range, and use it all there. It's sad when the pro gun crowd stands up and says 'This is an anomaly', when you have murders each and every day across the nation. We're so used to the violence as a nation that it doesn't even register on our radar until its 20+ kids dead, or a nutter calling himself the Joker shooting up a theater and booby trapping his house.

Speaking as an American, I fully believe we are generally a violent group of people. A bunch of warriors in our own heads, heros in our own story of life, but without a war to actually fight.

Jux:

Speaking as an American, I fully believe we are generally a violent group of people. A bunch of warriors in our own heads, heros in our own story of life, but without a war to actually fight.

In the immortal words of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., "Speak for yourself, asshole."

Also, why don't you keep ammo in the house? Not trying to be inflammatory, just legitimately curious.

another one? weirdly nothing has been on the american news that ive seen. apparently its that common these days that you need to kill 20 people for it to be news worthy

Fooddude:

Jux:

In the immortal words of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., "Speak for yourself, asshole."

Also, why don't you keep ammo in the house? Not trying to be inflammatory, just legitimately curious.

I am speaking for myself. And I don' keep ammo in the house because I think it's more of a liability than anything. I use the gun for fun at the range, that's it. And, if you don't want to be inflammatory, you might want to edit that post to not include made up quotes.

Jux:

Fooddude:

Jux:

I am speaking for myself. And I don' keep ammo in the house because I think it's more of a liability than anything. I use the gun for fun at the range, that's it. And, if you don't want to be inflammatory, you might want to edit that post to not include made up quotes.

Speaking for yourself would be

I'm a violent person. A warrior in my own head, hero in my own story of life,

not

Jux:

If you don't want to be inflammatory, don't do that. Also, the only reason I asked is because ammo is kind of expensive, and ranges tend to screw you with prices.

wombat_of_war:
another one? weirdly nothing has been on the american news that ive seen. apparently its that common these days that you need to kill 20 people for it to be news worthy

More than 900 people died in the USA to firearms since Newtown. But as I said in another thread, since it's an incremental number spread out over the entire country rather than a singular event, it doesn't get reported on much. It's easier to ignore as a mere statistic. The only reason this case was posted here was because it happened in another education facility, not because it bears a resemblance to Newtown otherwise.

Fooddude:
-snip-

Let me clarify. My opinion, as stated above, is as an American about Americans in general, based on my experiences as an American. I misspoke in my previous post, as I had just woken up, and was only half paying attention. Take it or leave it, I don't really care. If ya don't like my opinion, feel free to disagree, but your knee-jerk emotional reaction to my first post kinda makes me feel you fall squarely into that camp. And I don't buy my ammo at the range, I buy it at an outlet on the way to the range.

Jux:

Fooddude:
-snip-

Let me clarify. My opinion, as stated above, is as an American about Americans in general, based on my experiences as an American. I misspoke in my previous post, as I had just woken up, and was only half paying attention. Take it or leave it, I don't really care. If ya don't like my opinion, feel free to disagree, but your knee-jerk emotional reaction to my first post kinda makes me feel you fall squarely into that camp. And I don't buy my ammo at the range, I buy it at an outlet on the way to the range.

Your opinion is offensive to me, so of course I'm going to be offended by it. You're saying that not only me, but all of my family and friends are inherently violent people just by virtue of being American.

Fooddude:

Jux:

Fooddude:
-snip-

Your opinion is offensive to me, so of course I'm going to be offended by it. You're saying that not only me, but all of my family and friends are inherently violent people just by virtue of being American.

Might want to go back and read my original post. The word 'generally' is in there somewhere. Yes, I realize generalizations don't fit everyone individually, but the culture as a whole is very violence oriented in many ways. I'm not going to apologize for my views, and if you choose to see yourself painted in that brush, then be offended, I don't really care.

Another one happening right now in Texas CNN. Thoughts go to anyone there.

TheGuy(wantstobe):

just got wind of it, 2 injured have been announced so far.

3 injured at least one critical. seems like a fight that got out of control. they are searching for one of the shooters in local woods.

every single morning lately i turn on the tv its "shooting in the usa". its just insanity

Shouldn't we have a stickied school shooting thread? If this keeps up there'd be mostly various school shooting threads on R&P.

Istvan:
Shouldn't we have a stickied school shooting thread? If this keeps up there'd be mostly various school shooting threads on R&P.

and the inevitable "OMG WE GOTTA BAN GUNS" threads that are just so annoying. I figure this is just a trend in shootings and hopefully it'll stop soon. Till then R&P is gonna be a nightmare.

Now if that other pupil had had a gun, he could've defended himself and, oh wait...

Istvan:

Or maybe just including a shootings forecast with the weather? I mean, shootings in the US are pretty much the weather channel already...

TheGuy(wantstobe):

The shooters were blacks, will die out within the hour as this will be considered nothing more than gang violence that got out of hand. News if nothing more than predicable in their response.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked