7.6% (17)
7.6% (17)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Could You Kill?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Xan Krieger:

Blablahb:

Xan Krieger:
Here in America in many states if someone breaks into your home you have the right to remove them. If it takes violence then that's part of defending your property.

That's why you grab a hold of someone if they don't leave, and push them out. It works a lot better than murdering people.

That's way different from "I'm sleeping with a gun under my pillow, and if I see a nigger on my lawn he's dead!" (to illustrate the paranoid and unrealistic nature of how such people think)

Shock and Awe:
You're forgetting that self defense is a thing in the United States. Despite what you may think of it if someone broke into my home right now I would have every legal right to kill him with no questions asked.

That some forms of murder is legal in the US in many states doesn't make a difference. Murdering your wife for disobedience is also legal in some countries, but could I argue on the basis of that, that killing your wife is not a crime, but self-defense of your honour? No, of course not.

Likewise one can't argue that planning in advance to commit murder on anyone who may enter your house or steal from you, is still premeditating a murder, regardless of what some conservative US states may think of it.

Push them out? What if they have a weapon? What if it's more than one person? Also we're not paranoid, just prepared in case something bad happens, same as people who prepare for tornadoes or hurricanes, it's good to be ready in case the worst should happen.

I'm going to say not that you both are "wrong", but if you're in a life-or-death situation you likely won't be reacting by a pre-planned scenario, even if you had one. It's a split-second reaction, and seeing as how even planning a conversation doesn't always pan out the way we planned it, I'd say planning for a situation with so much stress and urgency involved will pan out even less "according to plan".

One concern I would have is that if you do pre-plan these kinds of things too often you might react prematurely because some happenings happen to trigger a "hey that's what happened in my plan!" thought and you might go by your plan...Just a gut feeling, though, mind.

For no reason? Just walk outside, with a gun, find someone at random, and drop them? No, I couldn't do that. It's just not in me. But, give me a reason, give me an excuse, either an imminent threat to me or someone else, or if it's an animal, I'm hungry and its either me or it, then without hesitation.

I'm not heartless, but I understand what it means to take a life, and I could do it in an instant if I needed to. I don't want to, but remorse is for the living, and I intend to be the one alive.

Vegosiux:

Xan Krieger:

Blablahb:
That's why you grab a hold of someone if they don't leave, and push them out. It works a lot better than murdering people.

That's way different from "I'm sleeping with a gun under my pillow, and if I see a nigger on my lawn he's dead!" (to illustrate the paranoid and unrealistic nature of how such people think)
That some forms of murder is legal in the US in many states doesn't make a difference. Murdering your wife for disobedience is also legal in some countries, but could I argue on the basis of that, that killing your wife is not a crime, but self-defense of your honour? No, of course not.

Likewise one can't argue that planning in advance to commit murder on anyone who may enter your house or steal from you, is still premeditating a murder, regardless of what some conservative US states may think of it.

Push them out? What if they have a weapon? What if it's more than one person? Also we're not paranoid, just prepared in case something bad happens, same as people who prepare for tornadoes or hurricanes, it's good to be ready in case the worst should happen.

I'm going to say not that you both are "wrong", but if you're in a life-or-death situation you likely won't be reacting by a pre-planned scenario, even if you had one. It's a split-second reaction, and seeing as how even planning a conversation doesn't always pan out the way we planned it, I'd say planning for a situation with so much stress and urgency involved will pan out even less "according to plan".

One concern I would have is that if you do pre-plan these kinds of things too often you might react prematurely because some happenings happen to trigger a "hey that's what happened in my plan!" thought and you might go by your plan...Just a gut feeling, though, mind.

You do have a point, the urgency of any disaster will be first in someone's mind instead of the plan. It still is good to think about the scenario enough that when bad things do happen you're ready for it. Same as preparing for a tornado, know what to do if it happens. I don't want to take a life but if someone breaks in I'm defending myself, my family, and my property.

Vegosiux:

Actually, its been shown on multiple occasions that individuals who have reasonably prepared for a stressful situation are far less likely to panic and/or do something stupid than otherwise, even if said plan goes tits up from the start. Having a simple solid plan of action, and the tools to carry it out, are more often than not a good thing.

It is the same psychology that has forced me to grit my teeth through some kind of safety drill at least once a year throughout most of my life. Whether the most common, fire drills, or the more recent ones concerning events such as the release of toxic/flammable gas in a work area, they always seem superfluous at first glance. The details matter less than logic would seem to indicate, the primary function is not to teach something any idiot could figure out on the fly, but to make sure they remain focused enough to do so, and be able to adapt as they go.

Now, on the other hand, individuals that actively obsess over these kinds of situations can and will overreact, and generally have the same problems you describe.

I suppose you could say that it is a balancing act between being ready for the unexpected, and being paranoid.

The same goes for home defense scenarios, it is almost exclusively the under and over prepared categories that have something go wrong. And no, I am not saying that a person needs to be ready to take a life in order to be "prepared", just that they need some kind of course of action to focus on to keep from panicking.

Personally, I prefer to have a weapon on hand, simply because I'd rather have it and never need it than have someone lose a life in its absence. There are too many things that can go gruesomely wrong with simply trying to avoid or appease an aggressor of unknown mental state, at least without some kind of last resort available.

If I absolutely had to, to defend myself or my family, yes.

Heronblade:
-snip-

Fair points there, and ones I can't disagree with. "Not prepared at all" is of course a tad foolish, and I agree, just having "something" to keep you focused should help. I suppose I was more trying to say that the details likely aren't going to go your way, but might have put too much emphasis on those.

Still, good points.

Xan Krieger:
Push them out? What if they have a weapon?

They don't, if it's outside the US. That's an extremely rare exception, ussually only found in cases where people are stupid enough to keep large quantities of cash money and valuables in their house and then spread the word.

And in such a case you can also wait. You don't have to fight. Give it a bit and the boys and girls in blue show up and resolve the situation. The idea that you need firearms to commit murder with or else you'll be constantly victimised, is just gun lobby propaganda, nonsense spread in order to scare people into buying firearms and increasing the profits of gun sellers.

Xan Krieger:
What if it's more than one person? Also we're not paranoid

Considering the odds make preparations totally unrealistic, yes you are paranoid.

Xan Krieger:
same as people who prepare for tornadoes or hurricanes

I don't prepare for hurricanes or tornadoes. Want to know why? These don't occur here. Once every few years you have a minor whirlwind which stays active for 5-10 minutes, that ussually goes above open water, or takes a few tiles off a roof in the worst case scenario.

If I was constantly looking out the window for whirlwinds right now, I would be paranoid. Just like it's paranoid to keep lethal weapons around.

Blablahb:

Xan Krieger:
Push them out? What if they have a weapon?

They don't, if it's outside the US. That's an extremely rare exception, ussually only found in cases where people are stupid enough to keep large quantities of cash money and valuables in their house and then spread the word.

And in such a case you can also wait. You don't have to fight. Give it a bit and the boys and girls in blue show up and resolve the situation. The idea that you need firearms to commit murder with or else you'll be constantly victimised, is just gun lobby propaganda, nonsense spread in order to scare people into buying firearms and increasing the profits of gun sellers.

Xan Krieger:
What if it's more than one person? Also we're not paranoid

Considering the odds make preparations totally unrealistic, yes you are paranoid.

Xan Krieger:
same as people who prepare for tornadoes or hurricanes

I don't prepare for hurricanes or tornadoes. Want to know why? These don't occur here. Once every few years you have a minor whirlwind which stays active for 5-10 minutes, that ussually goes above open water, or takes a few tiles off a roof in the worst case scenario.

If I was constantly looking out the window for whirlwinds right now, I would be paranoid. Just like it's paranoid to keep lethal weapons around.

Things are different over here, armed break-ins occur every day in the US and tornadoes have happened in the area I live in. As for the police, it can take them 10+ minutes to get to your house (in some cases over 20 minutes. Besides even if you do wait you're letting the intruders break and/or steal your stuff, it's your right to defend your property.

I honestly don't know if I could kill another person. I suppose, like many others, given the right (or wrong) circumstances I could. I do know I will probably fight tooth and nail to preserve my life or the life of a person I care greatly about, and if that means I have to kill the individual threatening them I suspect I might.

The only problem is, and I use problem loosely, that I have never been put in said situation. More to the point, I don't want to ever find out. I am perfectly content with the prospect of living my without ever being put in a position to find out if I'm capable of killing.

I don't think anyone can 100% guarantee their answer unless they have been face with a situation where violence is required. I have seen tough guys shrink and the prospect of actual violence, and quiet people step up in the face of aggression.

Xan Krieger:
it's your right to defend your property.

Yeah, just not by sleeping with a gun under your pillow and murdering everyone who walks on your lawn or enters your house.

Because that's the line between "I could kill if need be" and "I'm a sociopath and I want to kill".

Blablahb:

Xan Krieger:
it's your right to defend your property.

Yeah, just not by sleeping with a gun under your pillow and murdering everyone who walks on your lawn or enters your house.

Because that's the line between "I could kill if need be" and "I'm a sociopath and I want to kill".

This isn't about people who walk on your lawn or who enter the house peacefully, this is about defending yourself and your property against people who have shown they are willing to use force to get what they want.

Xan Krieger:
This isn't about people who walk on your lawn or who enter the house peacefully

Incidents where paranoid gun owners shot people that weren't a threat, sometimes even their own relatives, prove that that is what it's about.

Xan Krieger:
this is about defending yourself and your property against people who have shown they are willing to use force to get what they want.

Then please explain why you bring up guns in relation to that? Like I already explained, defending your property goes like: find guy with your tv in house -> ask him what the hell it's about -> guy runs -> grab guy, hold him, phone police -> profit

Or of course just let it go, because holding someone can create a struggle, something which not everybody wants to get into.

Blablahb:

Xan Krieger:
This isn't about people who walk on your lawn or who enter the house peacefully

Incidents where paranoid gun owners shot people that weren't a threat, sometimes even their own relatives, prove that that is what it's about.

Xan Krieger:
this is about defending yourself and your property against people who have shown they are willing to use force to get what they want.

Then please explain why you bring up guns in relation to that? Like I already explained, defending your property goes like: find guy with your tv in house -> ask him what the hell it's about -> guy runs -> grab guy, hold him, phone police -> profit

Accidents happen. As for your second bit, how do you know he's not armed? I think your problem is you don't live here. Where you live is less dangerous and that's good for you, where I live I heard gunshots on the street behind my house. If someone actually breaks in to your house I think it's safest for you to assume the worst, that he's armed and then for you to neutralize the threat in the safest manner possible. Running up and grabbing them sounds like a great way to get shot or stabbed.

Xan Krieger:
Accidents happen. As for your second bit, how do you know he's not armed? I think your problem is you don't live here. Where you live is less dangerous and that's good for you, where I live I heard gunshots on the street behind my house. If someone actually breaks in to your house I think it's safest for you to assume the worst, that he's armed and then for you to neutralize the threat in the safest manner possible. Running up and grabbing them sounds like a great way to get shot or stabbed.

I'm not sure its worth it to argue with Blablahb on this particular topic. He appears to be of the opinion that all private gun owners are sociopaths at heart, and refuses to acknowledge anything that remotely suggests otherwise.

Xan Krieger:
As for your second bit, how do you know he's not armed?

Gun bans which make firearms inaffordable, and also because they're not needed. Someone who's coming to steal stuff doesn't need heavy artillery, just two hands.

Xan Krieger:
I think your problem is you don't live here.

I wouldn't describe that as being a problem.

Xan Krieger:
where I live I heard gunshots on the street behind my house.

Then my question is: Why endorse the gun ownership that made that possible in the first place?

Xan Krieger:
If someone actually breaks in to your house I think it's safest for you to assume the worst

Then I'd have a criminal record by now. Some Japanese exchange student walked in once, trying to give me keys he'd found outside and he thought were either ours, or best with us for keeping in case an owner showed up. He just opened the sliding door, stepped in, and approached the bed, stopping halfway the room. I noticed because apparently I was a guard dog in a previous life, and the slighest unusual sound wakes me up, so the opening of the door did.

Good thing I don't go in gun lobby style, because police would've taken a rather dim view of beating the world's most awkward good samaritan to within an inch of his life.

And once again when some deluded soul thought it was acceptable to step inside and take my garden chairs to go sit in the sun. We were in the other room when we saw our own chairs get carried away past the window. They swore they'd have given them back, which I very much doubted, but asking them where they thought they were going with my stuff worked better than hurting them.

If I'd taken the gun owner approach I would've by now murdered an exchange student for being oblivious of social norms, and murdered a girl and a guy for wanting to sit in the sun. I think my approach was better.

Xan Krieger:
Running up and grabbing them sounds like a great way to get shot or stabbed.

And threatening to kill them, which makes killing you a life or death issue for whomever you're threatening, is of course totally safe. This explains why there are never shootouts between crazy violent gun owners and criminals.

Blablahb:

Xan Krieger:
As for your second bit, how do you know he's not armed?

Gun bans which make firearms inaffordable, and also because they're not needed. Someone who's coming to steal stuff doesn't need heavy artillery, just two hands.

Xan Krieger:
I think your problem is you don't live here.

I wouldn't describe that as being a problem.

Xan Krieger:
where I live I heard gunshots on the street behind my house.

Then my question is: Why endorse the gun ownership that made that possible in the first place?

Xan Krieger:
If someone actually breaks in to your house I think it's safest for you to assume the worst

Then I'd have a criminal record by now. Some Japanese exchange student walked in once, trying to give me keys he'd found outside and he thought were either ours, or best with us for keeping in case an owner showed up. He just opened the sliding door, stepped in, and approached the bed, stopping halfway the room. I noticed because apparently I was a guard dog in a previous life, and the slighest unusual sound wakes me up, so the opening of the door did.

Good thing I don't go in gun lobby style, because police would've taken a rather dim view of beating the world's most awkward good samaritan to within an inch of his life.

And once again when some deluded soul thought it was acceptable to step inside and take my garden chairs to go sit in the sun. We were in the other room when we saw our own chairs get carried away past the window. They swore they'd have given them back, which I very much doubted, but asking them where they thought they were going with my stuff worked better than hurting them.

If I'd taken the gun owner approach I would've by now murdered an exchange student for being oblivious of social norms, and murdered a girl and a guy for wanting to sit in the sun. I think my approach was better.

Xan Krieger:
Running up and grabbing them sounds like a great way to get shot or stabbed.

And threatening to kill them, which makes killing you a life or death issue for whomever you're threatening, is of course totally safe. This explains why there are never shootouts between crazy violent gun owners and criminals.

"Gun bans which make firearms inaffordable, and also because they're not needed. Someone who's coming to steal stuff doesn't need heavy artillery, just two hands." We don't have that here and so there's always the possibility that someone breaking in is armed.

"I wouldn't describe that as being a problem."
It's actually central to this whole issue because the Americans speaking on this subject such as myself live with this kind of stuff every day while you seldom if ever deal with it.

"Then my question is: Why endorse the gun ownership that made that possible in the first place?"
Because I believe in the second amendment

"Then I'd have a criminal record by now. Some Japanese exchange student walked in once, trying to give me keys he'd found outside and he thought were either ours, or best with us for keeping in case an owner showed up. He just opened the sliding door, stepped in, and approached the bed, stopping halfway the room. I noticed because apparently I was a guard dog in a previous life, and the slighest unusual sound wakes me up, so the opening of the door did.

Good thing I don't go in gun lobby style, because police would've taken a rather dim view of beating the world's most awkward good samaritan to within an inch of his life."
He walked in? He's crazy, I think in that situation a gun owner would've shouted something and he'd have raised his hands and nothing bad would've likely happened. Seriously you never just walk into someone's house, that's just nuts.

"And once again when some deluded soul thought it was acceptable to step inside and take my garden chairs to go sit in the sun. We were in the other room when we saw our own chairs get carried away past the window. They swore they'd have given them back, which I very much doubted, but asking them where they thought they were going with my stuff worked better than hurting them.

If I'd taken the gun owner approach I would've by now murdered an exchange student for being oblivious of social norms, and murdered a girl and a guy for wanting to sit in the sun. I think my approach was better."
Again they're clearly crazy for just taking your things but there's a few reasons why I doubt anyone would've shot them. 1. They were outside, 2, they weren't acting agressively (had they broken into your house that would've been agressive). Shooting is only good when someone breaks in, when they use force then you can use force.

Yes, but I'm not looking for a fight. It would be the absolute last resort if nothing else could protect me or my family.

Not yet.
Maybe tomorrow, but not today.

TheOrb:
Not yet.

How did you even find this thread?

Oh and looking at the results, a majority say yes. Suprise, suprise.

I'm starting to feel more and more like some kind of hippy. Quick somebody shoot me, if a start preaching about peace and love if I haven't done so already.

Frission:

TheOrb:
Not yet.

I'm starting to feel more and more like some kind of hippy. Quick somebody shoot me, if a start preaching about peace and love if I haven't done so already.

Yeah, this is the second of my old ones to be brought back recently. I must have fans.

Also, never under estimate self preservation.

Shock and Awe:

Frission:

TheOrb:
Not yet.

Yeah, this is the second of my old ones to be brought back recently. I must have fans.

Maybe. This thread always struck me as less someone saying they would kill if they were threatened and more some people confessing to a desire for some violence to fulfill the power that is lacking in their day to day lives.

Not that there aren't people who would try to defend themselves even if that meant the death of their aggressor. I voted "I don't know" if I remember correctly. It's just that alot of responses struck me as being a bit more of column 1 then 2.

Also congratulations on the thread necromancy. You might have a secret admirer.

Watch your back.

Frission:

Shock and Awe:

Frission:

Maybe. This thread always struck me as less someone saying they would kill if they were threatened and more some people confessing to a desire for some violence to fulfill their desire for the power that is lacking in their day to day lives.

Not that there aren't people who would try to defend themselves even if that meant the death of their aggressor. I voted "I don't know" if I remember correctly. It's just that alot of responses struck me as being a bit more of column 1 then 2.

Also congratulations on the thread necromancy. You might have a secret admirer.

Watch your back.

I can certainly see your point, people who genuinely want to be put in that kind of situation to be able to use deadly force probably have some sort of issues. Not gonna lie, I think about it occasionally, but its never "Man I want to put a slug in someones chest". And thanks, I'll be on alert. <_<

I absolutely could. I have my concealed weapons permit. I would kill in self defense or to defend someone else. No question in my mind.

ShiningAmber:
I absolutely could. I have my concealed weapons permit. I would kill in self defense or to defend someone else. No question in my mind.

Er...based on what?

Militaries have a serious problem training people to kill other people. A lot of new soldiers will intentionally miss their targets rather than harm someone. Firing at human shaped targets alleviates this to an extent, though.

thaluikhain:

ShiningAmber:

Er...based on what?

Militaries have a serious problem training people to kill other people. A lot of new soldiers will intentionally miss their targets rather than harm someone. Firing at human shaped targets alleviates this to an extent, though.

Some people are just that way, some dont want to take lives, some want to take lives, and some see no inherent value in life so its a toss up to them.

Desert Punk:

thaluikhain:

ShiningAmber:

Er...based on what?

Some people are just that way, some dont want to take lives, some want to take lives, and some see no inherent value in life so its a toss up to them.

Certainly, but how do you tell beforehand?

This is a problem with volunteer troops, who had signed up in times of war to go kill Johnny Foreign for whatever reason...and they still have problems when it comes down to it.

thaluikhain:

Desert Punk:

thaluikhain:

Er...based on what?

Certainly, but how do you tell beforehand?

This is a problem with volunteer troops, who had signed up in times of war to go kill Johnny Foreign for whatever reason...and they still have problems when it comes down to it.

There is also different psychology behind that, the more people there are with guns around you like in a squad or fireteam the brain can tell itself "someone else will shoot him I dont have to" the problem being when everyones minds tell them that.

When it is a solitary person the psychology is a bit different when you KNOW you are the only one there that can do something. As for how to know before hand, you really cant 100% but there are clues on how someone might react, such as how they handle deaths of those close to them, how they react under pressure ect.

Desert Punk:
There is also different psychology behind that, the more people there are with guns around you like in a squad or fireteam the brain can tell itself "someone else will shoot him I dont have to" the problem being when everyones minds tell them that.

When it is a solitary person the psychology is a bit different when you KNOW you are the only one there that can do something.

Ah, fair enough, I didn't consider that.

I hope not, I really hope not, but I've never been in a situation where this was even a possibility, so until you know, you don't know.

The answer to that question is easy, in fact it is so easy I can answer it for every one here. Yes I could kill someone depending on circumstance. Just about everyone would and could depending on the situation. Everyone has a breaking point no mater how strong your will not to kill someone is. About the only type of people that could potentially avoid their breaking point would be like those masters of meditation that can tune every thing out so they feel no pain, hear, see, feel, smell, taste nothing.

BathorysGraveland2:
And if, in one of those situations, I killed someone. It'd most likely haunt me for the rest of my life, especially if it was a stupid mistake on the other persons behalf (like breaking into my house to steal a television).

How exactly would it be a mistake on their part?

To answer the question, absolutely. I have no sense of morality, and so would not be held back by that. The only thing that has stopped me from doing so in the past to people who I believe absolutely deserved it is the law. I wouldn't waste my life killing them, no matter how much they deserve it. But yes, I could. In self-defence or otherwise.

theemporer:
How exactly would it be a mistake on their part?

Is that a serious question? If someone made a poor choice, and it led to their death, then it is a mistake. Since they made it, it's on their part. And if someone was killed trying to steal a television, well, that would be a completely trivial mistake to give their life for. Pretty simple.

As several of you in R&P may recall me mentioning a couple of times my older brother is a life-long Paranoid Schizophrenic who had several violent outbursts throughout his lifetime. Like most Paranoid Schizophrenics he didn't take his medicine--or when he did he eventually decided to stop taking it because he felt he "no longer needed to take it."

This tendency, which is characteristic for Paranoid Schizophrenics, resulted in a roller coaster ride for our family that went on for decades.

At one point he came at me with his "walking stick". After he hit me in the shoulder I fled to the back of the house and grabbed the .22 caliber revolver my father kept for home defense (we lived in the country so that sort of thing was typical). I pointed it at my brother and deliberately cocked the hammer.

The revolver was a target pistol. Very heavy and with a feather-light trigger-pull when the hammer was cocked.[1]

My brother had chased me into our parent's bedroom (they were at out of the house) and he stopped only when I leveled the pistol at him.

He stood there raging and howling at me--holding his "walking stick" poised like a baseball bat ready to hit me again--for nearly a full minute--an eternity--before---finally---balking and leaving the room--thrashing out at everything he could with his club.

I called the police (911) and was barely able to give a coherent statement. You all know what an adrenaline rush can do to you.

OT: Answer: Yes, I know that I could kill if I needed to. I learned that truth in a very, very, very, dark Real-Life confrontation.

And I never want to have to do so!

P.S. My brother's biochemistry changed when he grew older and went through a natural "biochemistry shift" in his mid-late 30's. He's down right stable and almost normal these days!!!

THANK GOODNESS FOR MOTHER NATURE!!! ^_^

[1] My father had taught my brother and I how to safely use firearms back when I was as young as...hrmmm...I believe I was in Primary school. I had to be at least 6 years old to hold up the shotgun.

Old School learning, folks.

Probably not. Can't say for sure, because who knows what I'd do, but only a small amount of soldiers are actually even willing to fire their weapons in a combat situation. Probably fewer still would actually aim to kill.

Soldiers. People who've been trained for months, broken and rebuilt, and that are now in a life-or-death situation that could definitely be influenced by their will to kill.

Me, average motherfucker on the street, hurt, yes, badly hurt, maybe, but kill, no, I'm fine with saying I couldn't.

If this poll was true, there wouldn't be a lot of veterans out there.

Frission:

TheOrb:
Not yet.

I just trawled through the threads, looking for polls. 'Twas bored.
And you're not alone: I have a friend who, in a choice between killing himself or someone else, "one man leaves"-style, would rather kill himself. But he's not a hippy, thank God. I would never associate myself with those lily-livered cowards.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked