Why is the US military so horrible towards rape victims?

Pages PREV 1 2

Kopikatsu:
Probably because she did something immensely stupid. 'Oh hey, let's take this open drink from a strange man!' She rolled for a common sense save and got a natural 0. So, she's an idiot and the men are pigs.

Being a victim doesn't magically exclude you from criticism. Neither does being dead, for that matter.

Shameless victim blaming.

You're on the wrong side of morality.

1,900-ish rapes...1.4 Million personnel.

Its totally a goddamn epidemic.

Fuck, even the 19,000 "Unreported" sexual assault cases is 1.35%

I read the whole article, and it was a load of shit.

1. Any command that screws up a rape investigation will quickly find itself with a new CO.
2. DUI investigation comes first. Always. If she ever payed any fucking attention in the goddamn 10-15 alcohol-related training sessions per year, she would know that and have been prepared.
3. ANY toxicology report performed by a licensed professional is valid. Her first report should have been used in her case. If her JAG fucked it away, all she had to do is call the IG. The phone number for that is everywhere.
4. I seriously doubt the "rising star" profile the rolling stones tries to paint of her. Joined at 17, made E-5 when she was 23? Holy shit, that is terrible.
5. Naples is not a dream billet. Naples sucks. If that was her next station, she was getting screwed, just like everyone else.
6. That crap about "being given work above her paygrade" is BS. FCPO's don't do technical work. They administrate and advise. If she wasn't leading, then she wasn't doing anything special. Officers, CPO/SCPO/MCPO's, all praise any female they can find that doesn't slack off or get pregnant right before a damn deployment.
7. Oh, now we're into criticism of military culture in general. Fuck me sideways, is this the worst shit they can dig up? Look. The military is not easy, for ANYONE. Its full of- you know what? Fuck it. I'm gonna copy-paste someone else's shit.

Skip to the six minute-mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIqHhpX-pVs

From the article:
"The culture of the military doesn't look kindly on people who are perceived as victims," says SWAN's ­Bhagwati. "You're taught to work through pain and difficulty, to put physical discomfort and mental weakness aside." Failure to grit your teeth and move on from personal problems isn't just a character flaw but a threat to the very stability of your unit, whose mission and cohesion are the highest priority, far above your petty needs.

Why does she make that sound bad? A unit, command, organization, whatever, makes time for their people WHEN THEY CAN. Unit, mission and duty come first. They always have. Patton and Mattis willing, they always will.

KuromaTyrant:

Why does she make that sound bad? A unit, command, organization, whatever, makes time for their people WHEN THEY CAN. Unit, mission and duty come first. They always have. Patton and Mattis willing, they always will.

I'm sorry, but I do not see how the majority of US military is currently engage in life-or-death combat, where personal troubles of individual soldiers need to be shoved aside in the name of the mission. And even if that happens, think pragmatically, do you really make someone who's going through some deep personal trauma paert of a mission/unit? I sure as hell wouldn't want my life to be protected by someone who doesn't have their mind together! But if they're shoved into a situation they can't handle, it's their fault when it's your head that catches the bullet right? Nobody is going to ask why they were there instead of at some kind of therapy, hm?

I'm sorry but all this talk about how you have to be "strong" and "persevere" sometimes sounds dangerously like "Be a good little bitch and take it, because nobody gives a fuck about you anyway". And I say you'd do well to root out such attitudes as opposed to encouraging it by deriding people who were victims of real violation as "weak" and stuff.

But hey, what the hell am I supposed to expect from a culture that glorifies violence and aggression...those are people who have real trouble. You're doing them no favors by forcing them into stressful situations, and you're not doing yourself any favors because no amount of pep talk and disdain and "treating them like shit to toughen them up" is going to make a troubled person get it together. That's action movie hogwash, a juvenile power fantasy of immature people, and nothing else.

Lilani:

Kopikatsu:
We take most anyone. I mean, I'm super, super scrawny, can bench 70lbs, and did poorly in school because I absolutely refused to do homework of any kind ever. I literally get called by an army recruiter like three times a week anyway. They just don't care.

The way I understand, the goal of the recruiters is to get you to sign up. They are graded by how many they can get to try to enlist, not by how many actually get in. Their job isn't to decide whether or not you're army material, it's just to get you to sign that paperwork and commit to something. They'll decide whether or not you are actually fit for the job after they know you're committed to doing it, I'm assuming because they don't want to waste money giving physicals to people who are likely to just walk away.

Unless I'm wrong, of course.

Partially right, they have to hit a minimum target of people to come in and take the test, and a final number that actually make it to basic.

If I became a recruiter I would only need 5 recruits every 6 months. With a waiting list for over 6 months. Rumors are that if you meet a target demographic they can expedite a few months.

KuromaTyrant:

4. I seriously doubt the "rising star" profile the rolling stones tries to paint of her. Joined at 17, made E-5 when she was 23? Holy shit, that is terrible.

Eh? Not sure how Navy does it, I assume it's similar to the Army, but 6 years to get to E5 isn't terrible, especially if she started at E1, which someone right out of high school probably would. Not "rising star", but not terrible either. It's also pretty dependent on what MOS she's in, as some have different chokepoints. I'm unfamiliar with her's, so I wouldn't know the specifics, but in general, I have noticed that the non-combat MOSes are a little slower to promote. Maybe a result of lower turn-over due to less burnout, possibly.

Xan Krieger:
Because soldiers are above the law (or so they think).

So much for military discipline.

Of course that's exactly what we think.....

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked