Avoiding detention... TO HELL!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 27 NEXT

Thenardier's Boarding School For The Extraordinarily Normal:
An excellent year round learning institute of great age, well suited to prepare any bright inquisitive individual for University or productive work. And you are one of the lucky students to be here.

But nobody is lucky forever.

And now you are in trouble.

Fortunately Mr. Gregor, Professor of Applied Mysticism, is not without his warped sense of fair play. He has decided to let you chose your own punishment from a few options.

1. A fifteen page paper on Mictlan, due first thing Monday. (today is Friday)
2. Serve a full weeks worth of double detention.
3. Personally travel to the inner depths of the underworld.

Well the choice seems obvious when layed out like that...

Now fortunately the nearest entrance to the underworld is just a few miles north at the base of Mount Orem. Let's see; you'll probably need a clean change of cloths, a sandwich or two, some rope, your cell phone, a flashlight. Oh! You definitely can't forget your divining stones, and maybe you should ask to borrow Frank's lazer gun. Do you think it will be cold? Perhaps you should bring a jacket...

Sounds good. I'll just go draw up a sheet.

SO is this like Hogwarts or something?

Reserve? I'll get back to you with a sheet...

Oh, and how exta-normal is this?

I'd like a reserve if possible.

I like this idea! Reserve please.

I'll look into this, I'm interested.
Reserve me, I'll try to find a good character to play with and make a sheet .

Yay, I quite glad of all the interest shown. Thank you all, and continue to ask questions if you want.

MrJKapowey:
SO is this like Hogwarts or something?

This is a year round boarding school. Several verities of magic are offered in the curriculum. So close enough.

ThreeWords:
Oh, and how exta-normal is this?

Very, and in almost any direction possible. But it would seem quite mundane in universe.

---

Now I wondered if someone could quickly answer one of my questions if it's not too much trouble.
I've been here for quite a while, but I still don't quite understand this 'Reserve' thing. Could someone explain it?

Fishtie:

Now I wondered if someone could quickly answer one of my questions if it's not too much trouble.
I've been here for quite a while, but I still don't quite understand this 'Reserve' thing. Could someone explain it?

Just wait for us to make the form, don't start wothout us and let others take places.
Usually Rps have limited space, so making a reserve just tells you that the person wants to participate, but he can't write an application right away. Sometimes they opt for joining in later, but I'm not sure if it's entirely different.

Just a quick sheet. I have a feeling that I'm going to end up changing this sheet before the decision of rather who gets in starts.

Minor edits.

I might edit it later.

Made several edits.

Woo! Character sheets already. Thanks for all the interest shown. Keep whatever you feel like coming.

TheIronRuler:

Fishtie:

Just wait for us to make the form, don't start wothout us and let others take places.
Usually Rps have limited space, so making a reserve just tells you that the person wants to participate, but he can't write an application right away. Sometimes they opt for joining in later, but I'm not sure if it's entirely different.

All right, I guess that makes sense. This particular RP wont be starting for a bit yet. Also, I didn't have any plans for a group limit at the moment. If it gets way too unwieldy I might split the group or something.

Souldemon8:
Tyler Strummer

Looks pretty good. Though you might think about changing your focus from Recorded Music and Musical Studies, to Musical Studies and Music Editing. It's up to you though. Rock on.

Vesuvius Hetlan:
Tasha Keen

Nice. Keep in mind that people with robotic prosthetics are often refereed to by the slang term 'mechanic', 'mech', or 'mechy'. All three are definitively derogatory. (as in: "Look, there goes a mechy.")

DaGreatNoob:
David Ashworth

Very interesting. A quick note on psychics:
About 50 years ago a psychic mass murderer went on a rather large killing spree aided by his powers. He was eventually caught and tried. To calm the now panicked populace various laws were rushed into effect requiring all psychics to be tested and registered by the government. Other regulations require notification of psychic powers on job applications, drivers licenses, and similar paperwork.

However, in the past few years a major popular movement has begun to remove these unjust laws.

Also, if you wanted the amulet to have some undeclared purpose I'd love it if you would PM me about it.

I will fix it up later... >>

I'm definately not a gun nut...

MrMixelPixel:
Kendall Craft

Interesting. Two quick notes:
1) Piercings themselves are not against school rules. (refusing to be in uniform is though)
2) The demonology book is probably The Greater Key of Solomon. {like the lesser key, but more in depth)

MrJKapowey:
Joseph Harper

I like the idea. Quick notes:
1) The more specific infraction might be: possession of Thermite without supervision.
2) Mr. Kent is the faculty counselor for the shooting team.
3) The Army Cadet group is small and mostly disliked by the faculty. The commander is Mr. Archer, astronomy and physics teacher. (yes, he is skilled with a bow)

Anyone with any questions or comments be sure to throw them out. (um, post them, don't get rid of them.

Fishtie:

Anyone with any questions or comments be sure to throw them out. (um, post them, don't get rid of them.

Do you intend to have a few more people join in, or is this a good amount?

DaGreatNoob:
Do you intend to have a few more people join in, or is this a good amount?

5 not including me seems enough. But if anyone else still wants to join that'd be fine by me.

I think I still might be waiting for sheets from ThreeWords or TheIronRuler.

Still, I'm thinking of starting sometime Saturday or friday right now.

Question. Who is the librarian?

quick question, by magics being offered, i'm guessing one of them has to have a sub level of controlling energy? if so then reserve a spot for me.

Question - How regular is what we're doing (going to the underworld)?

You say that the school is regular and that all of this is accepted practice, but how often does this happen (i.e. do people go there at all or has it reached the 'lets install a revolving door' point?)

Vesuvius Hetlan:
Question. Who is the librarian?

Ms. Antig is the librarian. She has no teaching position, but is the go to person for foreign language tutoring. She also organizes expeditions into the Library Reserve, a massive underground labyrinth of catalogs and bookshelves from the original construction of the school.

mcpop9:
quick question, by magics being offered, i'm guessing one of them has to have a sub level of controlling energy? if so then reserve a spot for me.

Well considering effecting anything material requires a transfer of energy; yes, almost all magics deal in energy somehow. But I get the feeling that's what you meant.

Most all magic utilizes two elements:
1) Energy: This is the natural magic energy inside the practitioner of magic. It's generated by the person through their life. However, not all people are born equal. Most people are born with a low level, some people are born with much more and these people have potential to be powerful practitioners of magic. Has many names; Mana, Qi, Ichor, Chi, Quintessence

2) Technique: Considered the more important part. All the energy in the world will do nothing since it never naturally interacts with anything. Many methods from around the world have developed specific methods through 'spells' to channel magic energy to effect things in the world. The specific choice of method is often refereed to as one's discipline.

Some common disciplines you might be interested in for 'controlling energy':
Sorcery: Often considered a bruit force method. The spells methodology is one of the least precise, but also the most forgiving of mistakes. Sorcery uses large amounts of mana inefficiently to introduce raw forces into the world, but is almost completely incapable of fine action or control.
Geomancy: This method is mostly used to influence already present forces and materials to move in specific ways. Has many industrial applications.
Pathagorism: Based on a very exacting series of Magic Triangles, and generally relies on the immutability of mathematics. A very precise discipline mostly used by mathematicians.

Regardless if you use one of these or another, remember that you will still be a student of the methods.

MrJKapowey:
Question - How regular is what we're doing (going to the underworld)?

You say that the school is regular and that all of this is accepted practice, but how often does this happen (i.e. do people go there at all or has it reached the 'lets install a revolving door' point?)

This kind of thing happens on occasion, but it's not common. Some of you might have heard of a friend of a friend who knows somebody who went. History is obviously littered with stories of people who have gone, but most any tales of what is there are inconsistent.

Okay, about psychics.
Is it based on entirely on one's willpower, or is it like magic, where you have to manipulate energy?

Hey, any chance I could get a spot in this? I understand if you guys are full, but this does sound quite fun. I can probably have a character sheet up later today if that helps.

Edit:

[Are there remaining spots open for this? Can get a sheet tonight up tonight if there are openings.]

I can haz entry?

Can I also join :D?

I just realized my character sheet isn't as well thought up or as emotional as other sheets. Meh...

DaGreatNoob:
Okay, about psychics.
Is it based on entirely on one's willpower, or is it like magic, where you have to manipulate energy?

Psychics natural abilities are merely a mind to mind phenomenon, so no. However, being a much rarer trait it is much less studied or understood. Will power is probably the most important thing (particularly for effecting other people), but being highly focused and disciplined is also important (it's also how even a non psychic can resist a psychic's powers)

Pappytech:
John Hellek

Woaw, I don't think I ever said anything about being full.

Lego Penrose stairs? Awesome. Quick question though. Is the battlebot a programed A.I., or does it just kind of move on it's own volition?

VaudevillianVeteran:
[Are there remaining spots open for this? Can get a sheet tonight up tonight if there are openings.]

Jump on board. The more the merrier.

mcpop9:
Hataki Benki

Hey mc, how's it going? To let you know, there is a blacksmithing club. Also, the scool rules explicitly say that weapons are not allowed on school grounds except: in a student's own dorm; in a class, club, or activity specifically involving weapon handling; or with permission of a faculty member.

One Hit Noob:
Jack D. Breen

Looks good. The martial arts club is headed by Mr. Kent, the archery club by Mr. Archer. Incidentally, who is the Mr. Park mentioned? If you don't want to post that you may P.M. me if you want.

Fishtie:
)

Pappytech:
John Hellek

Woaw, I don't think I ever said anything about being full.

Lego Penrose stairs? Awesome. Quick question though. Is the battlebot a programed A.I., or does it just kind of move on it's own volition?

Sorry, I saw you post that you had all the people you needed to get started, and assumed there would be some limit. If there's not, well that's awesome then!

It's not exactly A.I., it's more like John's machines are naturally alive. So, it you mean A.I. in the sense that it's intelligent without having an organic body, then yes, I suppose so. I see it as acting more like a pet than anything else.

The battle-bot does come with a remote that allows John to control it, of course.

Fishtie:

Hey mc, how's it going? To let you know, there is a blacksmithing club. Also, the scool rules explicitly say that weapons are not allowed on school grounds except: in a student's own dorm; in a class, club, or activity specifically involving weapon handling; or with permission of a faculty member.

why do you think she got into trouble, also im doing pretty good. its funny because if the take it away from her she always gets it back. also put her into blacksmithing club

Fishtie:

DaGreatNoob:
Okay, about psychics.

Psychics natural abilities are merely a mind to mind phenomenon, so no. However, being a much rarer trait it is much less studied or understood. Will power is probably the most important thing (particularly for effecting other people), but being highly focused and disciplined is also important (it's also how even a non psychic can resist a psychic's powers).

Alright, just checking, because sometimes things like telekinesis and clairvoyance tend to get lumped into the magic category.

Fishtie:

VaudevillianVeteran:

Jump on board. The more the merrier.

Ah great, thanks. I'm writing my sheet now but I'm having some trouble thinking up a educational focus. -.-

Pappytech:
Sorry, I saw you post that you had all the people you needed to get started, and assumed there would be some limit. If there's not, well that's awesome then!

It's not exactly A.I., it's more like John's machines are naturally alive. So, it you mean A.I. in the sense that it's intelligent without having an organic body, then yes, I suppose so. I see it as acting more like a pet than anything else.

The battle-bot does come with a remote that allows John to control it, of course.

No problem, welcome aboard.

So it's a bit of an anti-entropic engine. That's fine. Maybe some kind of autocatalytic or Brownian ratchet...

Anyways! If you wouldn't mind, a quick list of the bot's weapons would be nice too.

mcpop9:
why do you think she got into trouble, also im doing pretty good. its funny because if the take it away from her she always gets it back. also put her into blacksmithing club

Sure sure. Just do me a favor and keep the instability reasonable. Someone who's a danger to themselves and others wont necessarily be tolerated.

VaudevillianVeteran:

Ah great, thanks. I'm writing my sheet now but I'm having some trouble thinking up a educational focus. -.-

Well if you have a rough idea then we could always help you refine it.

Fishtie:

mcpop9:

Sure sure. Just do me a favor and keep the instability reasonable. Someone who's a danger to themselves and others wont necessarily be tolerated.

i'll keep it to simple mental breakdown moments and snapping on rare occasion.

Any revisions, please let me know!

When are we going to get started? I'm just curious.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 27 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked