The Tower of Druaga (heroic fantasy- Started)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 27 NEXT

THE TOWER OF DRUAGA

Spire of the World

One of my favorite settings. Easy to get into, but massive in scope and potential.

HOW THE GAME WORKS
Every player is both character and DM. Each person makes 1 climber and 1 floor. As the group passes a level, the next person DMs the floor above, and so on. I will be the first DM, to give you a feel for the game. It works because each floor is it's own "world", and the environment and what we encounter can be wildly different. No single person knows how the whole campaign will go, and it evolves with each player.

Floors you can make are highly varied. Here are some example floors:

Character Creation
Name: What your character is called.
Age & Gender: Quite clear, too?
Height & Weight: More simple questions. Optional, though at least height would be good.
Appearance: What your character looks like.
History: What your character has done until now, wanting to climb the tower? What kind of life he has lived until now? This is good place to explain a few facts of the topic below this one.
Reason to be here/things to do: Why, against all odds, you want to test yourself against each level of Druaga? This could be simple, "I want to explore and become rich" or "I want to get the power to revive my dead father", or something more complicated, like "there is supposed to be this person who I want dead here in Tower. I seek to obtain his death."
Personality: Well, again, this is maybe quite complex, but lets other people to see more clearly the reason behind your actions.
Notable skills: Both in combat and outside of it. Do you swing a sword, cast spells or silently sneak around? Maybe you know how to apply healing herbs, how to cook, or how to climb rocks? Or maybe you have good knowledge in historical artifacts, or understand cartography?
Equipment: Note anything worth mentioning on your character. Food, shelter, hunting/fishing equipment, survival in general, location devices, medicine, other equipment you might need on a extremely long & dangerous trip. Surely some money, whether it be precious metals or items of interest to barter.

Reserved for Characters

Stonefuse Stormbender (NastoK) (Check page 2.)

Just tell me what seems a bit overpowered and I'll attempt to change it.

First off, let me just ask. Is this a real thing? Because I would watch the fuck out of it!

Anyhow, here's my character:

TheNaut131:
First off, let me just ask. Is this a real thing? Because I would watch the fuck out of it!

It is and I am doing that right now (episode 3 and counting)

As always, any criticisms or suggestions are welcome:

All together now

"Anyone what to set up shared backstory between characters?"
Might add something If one or two of us have met before and it's scientifically proven to increase acceptance chances.

avouleance2nd:
All together now

Might add something If one or two of us have met before and it's scientifically proven to increase acceptance chances.

Except we have all met before, and we've been going up the levels the last couple of weeks together.

Redryhno:

avouleance2nd:
All together now

Except we have all met before, and we've been going up the levels the last couple of weeks together.

Right my bad, anyone want to work on interactions before the rp starts then maybe how we met or just set up a few friendships/ relationships.

avouleance2nd:
Right my bad, anyone want to work on interactions before the rp starts then maybe how we met or just set up a few friendships/ relationships.

Sounds good to me. As I said in my post, I built a few hooks into my character for people to work with so using them to build a relationship could be fun.

Example: My character pissed off a noble family at some point - perhaps it was one of the enemy families of one of the the "displaced noble" characters such as Damien Daresh, Nathan Ramirez, or Caedis Saevio.

Maybe Atticus Tinkerous and I met after he asked me to steal some weather control tech/magic or I tried to steal a purse.

Just ideas.

Not really sure what to make with your character avouleance2nd - i didn't really follow the character description very well. If you have any ideas however, I'm probably up for it.

First off, welcome :)
I have thoroughly read everyone's character sheets, and will review each of them. But first:

Redryhno:
(He comes from a Future Fantasy world/level of the tower or the world, I wasn't exactly sure where the characters came from from your post, but they emulate the medieval period in their look.)

One thing that TOD does better than some other settings is getting the idea of a big world with lots of things going on across it. It lets the writer say "Sure Why Not", since any one depiction of a character or item can be represented on one of the floors. I should have pointed out that humans will show slight differences depending on what level they came from.

hiei82:

TheNaut131:

It is and I am doing that right now (episode 3 and counting)

Tower of Druaga was a series of games and anime. I have never watched it. My experience comes entirely from roleplaying, so I don't know how close this was to the original setting.

Technetium:

Ah yes, the amnesiac character. While nothing you've written is wrong, I still want characters to have an arc to them and not have everything be overly cryptic. If you can do that, you're approved.

hiei82:

Very extensive- the plot hooks were a good touch. I see no problems. Approved.

Redryhno:

Just tell me what seems a bit overpowered and I'll attempt to change it.

Pic is Blood Raven :3
Wait- Dakesh is the name of the monastery, but also a magic word that can incinerate people and turn back the clock? You have written "He refuses to use this Word unless there is no other option, he refuses to even speak of it, so terrible it is." But then you also use it as the organization's name, which seems conflicting. I don't understand.

I would say the ability to turn someone to ash and undo everything they've done the previous day is overpowered. That's the only real issue.Conditionally approved.

Arrogancy:

Same thing as Technetium. Everyone loves to be the mysterious badass. But a character having emotional investment in something is what really makes them soar. A character has to have involvement, some kind of stakes that give a greater impact to the story, and make a fulfilling conflict resolution. You're approved, but remember this and the character will be improved for it.

TheNaut131:

Anyhow, here's my character:

Probably my favorite character so far. A definite call to action, describing the level you're from; Pretty pretty shiny shiny indeed :D Approved

avouleance2nd:

This is certainly something different. We now have a venomous shapeshifting reptilian creature to round out the group. Your character is a bit too technologically advanced for the setting. Armed with a solar flare, using artificial intelligence and robotics. AI and constructs exist, but they're powered by magic and people who build them will generally refer to the AI as the "machine spirit" or something along those lines. Data/knowledge candles are neat, though.

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
As always, any criticisms or suggestions are welcome:

Another great character. I salute you, Mr.I'vebeenframed. Your writing just gets better and better.

So we have:

A former nobleman turned benevolent fighter/explorer
A teenager who can see through illusions and teleport through water
An elven thief and rogue
An exiled combat-ascetic grandmaster with words of power
A coated mysterious man with a saber and books
A fuckawesome inventor-farmboy turned wanderer seeking to control the weather
A shapeshifting lizard-thing from an advanced, dying race.
An aristocrat woman turned warrior spearwielder out for the blood of a gladiator who used her for his revolt.

8 climbers in the group. Other submissions will still be reviewed. The game will begin shortly.

Asclepion:
Snip

I'm sorry, I forgot to put in the origin of the Dakesh Monastery, it was basically first used as a training facility to create the best warriors of the level/land. Dakesh was a word that roughly translates to "Guardian of Life". But I'll take out the word of power to he won't use it under any circumstances, but it could be a nice little plot hook later on.

Most of this is based on a little short story series I wrote for an English class three or four years ago and the Sparhawk series. I just felt this was a great place to try it out.

I'm adding another minor word so tell me if you think that's too much.

And I really didn't notice what picture I put up until you just said that. But if you want to know more, I put up a Dark Angels symbol too.

And the words of power can't be used without both concentration and study, otherwise the word won't trigger if you wanted to know how they work.

Asclepion:

Same thing as Technetium. Everyone loves to be the mysterious badass. But a character having emotional investment in something is what really makes them soar. A character has to have involvement, some kind of stakes that give a greater impact to the story, and make a fulfilling conflict resolution. You're approved, but remember this and the character will be improved for it.

I'm not going to have my character just be a blank slate with no arc. I am planning to have him be more fleshed out as the story progresses, I just don't want to be explicit with it from the start. I find it more interesting for there to be an enigma in the group, someone everyone is unsure of, at least to some extent. However, that said, I take your point that this is a tad cliche of a beginning.

Also, avouleance2nd- Your paper was choppy and hard to understand. The creatures are interesting, I just think you should remove a lot of the backstory/space aspects and strip it down to the basics.

ignore, i though my post was eaten, just found it.

Arrogancy:
I'm not going to have my character just be a blank slate with no arc. I am planning to have him be more fleshed out as the story progresses, I just don't want to be explicit with it from the start. I find it more interesting for there to be an enigma in the group, someone everyone is unsure of, at least to some extent. However, that said, I take your point that this is a tad cliche of a beginning.

You could always flesh the character out and then state what information you don't want the party to know. That way we can RP without knowing the information while the current GM will be able to plan for your character.

Also: trust me when I say that having a secret character sheet, while tempting, can become extremely hard to manage (for both staying in character and for information management) as time goes on.

just a suggestion

Edit: And I know that only 3 people in here will get the "cough cough" bit

hiei82:

avouleance2nd:

Sounds good to me. As I said in my post, I built a few hooks into my character for people to work with so using them to build a relationship could be fun.

Example: My character pissed off a noble family at some point - perhaps it was one of the enemy families of one of the the "displaced noble" characters such as Damien Daresh, Nathan Ramirez, or Caedis Saevio.

Maybe Atticus Tinkerous and I met after he asked me to steal some weather control tech/magic or I tried to steal a purse.

Just ideas.

Not really sure what to make with your character avouleance2nd - i didn't really follow the character description very well. If you have any ideas however, I'm probably up for it.

I like your idea, hiei. I can see it working out kinda like this:

"I asked you to help me locate these people and bargain for some of their technology. NOT. ROB THEM. BLIND! Eh, I guess this is my fault though. Stupid farmboy brain... 'No, no Atticus, don't get your stuff back, turn the thief in, and get on with life, ask her to help you get a few valuable things and expect her not to do something illegal. That'll work out just dandy!"

Oh and avouleance, I kinda like your character because she seems like a character Atticus would immediately be interested in since she's a strange being from a technologically advanced level. He'll want to ask her everything possible, but will have to hold back because he doesn't want to tear open any wounds. Atticus can also feel sympathy and fear because he could easily be put in her place. If he can't find what he needs to save his level, the people of Agris will probably die out and Atticus will be left to simply roam the levels and tell their story.

@hiel: Ah... good times

@Naut: Nice to see you here as well.

@Asc: Thanks! To be honest I flipped a coin deciding my character's gender on this one. I kinda didn't want to have another female character but lady luck decided it was so.

hiei82:

Arrogancy:

You could always flesh the character out and then state what information you don't want the party to know. That way we can RP without knowing the information while the current GM will be able to plan for your character.

Also: trust me when I say that having a secret character sheet, while tempting, can become extremely hard to manage (for both staying in character and for information management) as time goes on.

just a suggestion

Edit: And I know that only 3 people in here will get the "cough cough" bit

Well, I changed that. Let me hear what you think.

Arrogancy:

Well, I for one like it. Back-stabbing the pointy hat is always fun! Especially evil pointy hats!

I promise not to back-stab the party's mage(s)...

That said, it's up to Asc for character approval. You may want to flesh out why you want the power of the Tower of Druaga - power to live forever like your master wanted? Power toward some unspeakable evil plan? Power as it's own end? - but its not my place to critique characters as it's not my job and Faunra is still far from perfect.

On that note:

TheNaut131:
"I asked you to help me locate these people and bargain for some of their technology. NOT. ROB THEM. BLIND! Eh, I guess this is my fault though. Stupid farmboy brain... 'No, no Atticus, don't get your stuff back, turn the thief in, and get on with life, ask her to help you get a few valuable things and expect her not to do something illegal. That'll work out just dandy!"

Works for me. Unless you have an objection I will add some variant of this to my character's history:

Let me know if anything needs changing.

Arrogancy:

It's a big improvement. Really, it is.

pyroguy86:

Let me know if anything needs changing.

It's alright. "Dark past avenging warrior" is played out, so I hope you'll be able to evolve the character from there. He still has to be able to work in a group.

Opening volley goes up tonight :D

Asclepion:
Also, avouleance2nd- Your paper was choppy and hard to understand. The creatures are interesting, I just think you should remove a lot of the backstory/space aspects and strip it down to the basics.

I'll work on cutting it down.
So can we post int the rp now?

Very interesting, will have a character sheet made for later today.

I've made a few edits mainly removing the space references and removing the solar flair.

Asclepion:
Snip

Hey, question. Who's been accepted into the RP? I saw the opening post up and wasn't sure if we'd all been accepted or if you sent out PM's to the people who had.

So, Asclepion has posted the game thread. Link here for convenience:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.361299-The-Tower-of-Druaga-Game-Thread

hiei82:

On that note:

TheNaut131:

Works for me. Unless you have an objection I will add some variant of this to my character's history:

I'm alright with it. I think Atticus would mainly agree to the team up for Faunra's set of skills. Whenever Atticus can't get a certain type of tech from certain people, he tends to start putting together elaborate lies. A few of his most useful are that he's ambassador for some kingdom or that he's getting ready to fight a war. These lies tend to work on simpler people, or people who can relate to his situation.

Not so much nobleman and aristocrats.

When things end up like that, he ends up finding a nice tall spot, far away from whatever building the tech is in, and simply snipes them from a far, usually with sleeping powder.. Then he tries to get in close.

This never really works out so well for him.

In simpler terms, he's ends up running down a few hallways frantically grabbing whatever he can, being chased by guards, laying traps behind himself, and then jumping through a window. Never been much of a great sneak, plus he never ends up getting whatever he needs.

Which is why he agrees to team up with Faunra. She's better at the whole thieving thing.

Redryhno:

SNIP

Well he put whoever's been accepted onto the post above regarding reserved characters. Either way I'm putting a post relatively soon.

TheNaut131:
Snip

Okay, changes made to my character - last paragraph of my history section - included below for convenience. If you have any changes you want to make, let me know.

hiei82:

About 6 months ago, Faunra was approached by a strange man. He called himself Atticus. Atticus needed help acquiring an "Elemental Predominanting Tool" from a well known (and hated) aristocrat - the Marquis of Torinia - and was willing to offer significant compensation for the effort. Despite her misgivings, she agreed. Under the cover of darkness, Faunra broke into the nobleman's home and took the device along with several emeralds as a "bonus". Hours later, in an old tavern, she delivered her ill-gotten gains. Unfortunately, the Marquis was both perceptive and unforgiving; not minutes into the trade, the Marquis personal guard had found them. Ducking behind the bar, the two escaped out the back. Several hours, and most of the "appropriated" gems later, the two were out of reach. In need of a change of location, Faunra decided to follow Atticus on his quest to the Tower of Druaga and a fellowship was born.

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
snip

probably should've looked there, thanks

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 27 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked