Battlegrounds : A Pokémon Role-Play { Closed } - Day Two: Kalita City

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Kuroneko Aisha:

Hjalmar Fryklund:

Kuroneko Aisha:

You get a cookie if you see what I did there for the inventory. ^^ I hope that my character is acceptable!

Is the image that you linked to something that you have drawn yourself? I am only asking since it doesn't match up all that much with your description of the character´s appearance.

Image wasn't drawn by me. I used it as more of a starting point for her, rather than using the actual picture. Think of it as just using her body, and taking the rest from there in text. Was the rest of the profile acceptable? ^^

Well, I am unsure whenether it follows the character creation guidelines properly. Specifically this emboldened part:

CounterAttack:
Appearance: Describe your character's looks. Things such as height, weight, preferred choice of clothing, hairstyle and eye colour come to mind here. Please do not just post a picture for your character's appearance, for two reasons: first, I would like to see original characters and not just copies of others from anime and suchlike. Second, a picture does not give me enough information to work with. You may use a picture if you so desire, but it must be supplementary rather than the focus of the Appearance section.

But again, I can't say for sure. The rest of your sheet looks pretty fine to me, but I ain't the one who is going be the final judge here.

Hjalmar Fryklund:

Kuroneko Aisha:

Hjalmar Fryklund:

Is the image that you linked to something that you have drawn yourself? I am only asking since it doesn't match up all that much with your description of the character´s appearance.

Image wasn't drawn by me. I used it as more of a starting point for her, rather than using the actual picture. Think of it as just using her body, and taking the rest from there in text. Was the rest of the profile acceptable? ^^

Well, I am unsure whenether it follows the character creation guidelines properly. Specifically this emboldened part:

CounterAttack:
Appearance: Describe your character's looks. Things such as height, weight, preferred choice of clothing, hairstyle and eye colour come to mind here. Please do not just post a picture for your character's appearance, for two reasons: first, I would like to see original characters and not just copies of others from anime and suchlike. Second, a picture does not give me enough information to work with. You may use a picture if you so desire, but it must be supplementary rather than the focus of the Appearance section.

But again, I can't say for sure. The rest of your sheet looks pretty fine to me, but I ain't the one who is going be the final judge here.

I think that rule applied to ward off people from just using a pic and no description in words. I could be wrong though.

@OP I added a diary to her inventory since I forgot to put it in initially. She writes in it every night before sleeping. Kinda like saving her progress! XD

Kuroneko Aisha:

Hjalmar Fryklund:

Kuroneko Aisha:

CounterAttack:

I think that rule applied to ward off people from just using a pic and no description in words. I could be wrong though.

@OP I added a diary to her inventory since I forgot to put it in initially. She writes in it every night before sleeping. Kinda like saving her progress! XD

I suppose we could just ask him directly, so here goes to the OP:

Is the supplementary picture of Kairi following the rules and guidelines of character creation?

EDIT: Removed my little Harvest Moon tangent. Looked kinda out of place.

This seems really interesting, I RP quite a lot but never actually done this kind of RP. Bit of a shame so many people want to start with Ghost types. I guess I'll go with ground or steel if I give a go at this too, provided it's still open at that point of course. Also need to know if these RP sessions will be possible for me if I work until 5 PM everyday except for week ends.

Ganath:
This seems really interesting, I RP quite a lot but never actually done this kind of RP. Bit of a shame so many people want to start with Ghost types. I guess I'll go with ground or steel if I give a go at this too, provided it's still open at that point of course. Also need to know if these RP sessions will be possible for me if I work until 5 PM everyday except for week ends.

I'm not the GM, so don't take my word on this, but usually the good RP's don't get updated so frequently that you get left behind when coming back from work, not to mention others may be in the same boat anyway.
And I think the GM is from New Zealand, so I have no idea what time it might be where he is when it's 5PM your time, but differing time zones are something that pretty much every RP has to deal with, it's usually not an issue unless it's one of those RP's where people are posting every 5 minutes, and those tend to die pretty quickly.

Well that's good, I was worried I would be left behind.
By the way, does anyone know what we are in for gym wise? It seems unlikely that a group of 6-12 trainers will only have one candidate interested in gym battles or contests, meaning that each gym has more than one character challenging it.

EDIT: Just realized there are quite a few researchers amongst the group, so it may not be as large a problem as I first thought

Donuteater2:
By the way, does anyone know what we are in for gym wise? It seems unlikely that a group of 6-12 trainers will only have one candidate interested in gym battles or contests, meaning that each gym has more than one character challenging it.

The people I accept into Battlegrounds will be informed of details such as the Gym Leaders, the order in which I intend for the characters to challenge them, the Elite Four, and the team of 'bad guys' that call Gensia their home.

On the subject of accepted characters, I am waiting for three people to post their characters before I pass final judgement on all the characters that have been submitted.

razer17:

Ganath:

I'm not the GM, so don't take my word on this, but usually the good RP's don't get updated so frequently that you get left behind when coming back from work, not to mention others may be in the same boat anyway.
And I think the GM is from New Zealand, so I have no idea what time it might be where he is when it's 5PM your time, but differing time zones are something that pretty much every RP has to deal with, it's usually not an issue unless it's one of those RP's where people are posting every 5 minutes, and those tend to die pretty quickly.

Thanks. That answered quite a bit for me. Sadly, I had to be quite hasty last time I wrote so I had little time to look over it, and I forgot to mention where I live, derp. Aside for that, in my glorious rush I forgot to take into account that not everyone live in Sweden. Still sounds interesting though. I'll have to mull it over, otherwise it's tough luck.

I'll give this a shot. Question! Are we following Pokemon rules of ridiculousness for humans? Ie: Nonstandard colors/enormous hair/etc. being perfectly normal. If not, Her hair is inky black.

EDIT: Added character notes and tweaked inventory. I hope the DM doesn't think my character is a "Downer"...

EDIT 2: Tweaked backstory

This definitely looks like fun... I hope I'm not posting my sheet too late. I've never done a forum-based RP before, but I'm definitely open to it, and I've waded through enough Pokemon games to know the rules, lore, etc.

Edit: Thanks to the courtesy of a fellow Escapist, I've learned how to stick a title onto a spoiler. My character sheet is below.

Hope it's up to snuff!

^ To put a title in the spoiler, you just have to put [ spoiler=titlehere] stuff [ /spoiler] as the tags. ^^

Made some edits to my character sheet. I forgot to add clothes and money, effectively making him a very well educated drifter.

Kuroneko Aisha:
^ To put a title in the spoiler, you just have to put [ spoiler=titlehere] stuff [ /spoiler] as the tags. ^^

Awesome, thanks! I'll go back and edit that in.

TGIF. Also, sheet.

Alright. I now have the last of the sheets I was waiting for. The list of accepted characters will be posted when I get home from work.

Announcement:

From thirty character sheets, eleven have been chosen (including my own). The accepted sheets are as follows:

CounterAttack:
Alix Redfern

Lambi:
Heidi Xiol

Pm0n3y:
Morgan Zakarias

Mr. Omega:
Russel Manov

SkyeNeko:
Eurydice Anania

elementsoul:
Erika Park

Fragrance of Mtn Dew:
Alan Baines

Mortis Nuncius:
Caleb Cotterill

NeoAC:
Robyn Springs

RBMidknight:
Elias Lanford

PrinceOfShapeir:
Sam Felix

Originally I had rejected PrinceOfShapeir, but some explaining from him gave me reason to change my mind. The accepted characters will be edited into the OP and my secondary posts.

Once I've finished making the appropriate edits, I will create a Skype group for the people involved, then begin writing up the opening in-character post to get things rolling. Contrary to popular trends, there will not be a second thread for Battlegrounds' in-character posts. Only one thread is necessary. It keeps everything together in one place.

Damnit, lost out again. Oh well, maybe next time. Good luck to all.

Battlegrounds

Day One: Gathering In Aquamar

Among the disembarking people and Pokémon of the S.S. Tidal, which was making port in Gensia before returning to its native Hoenn, a twenty-year-old girl made her way off the ship and onto the docks, into the early-morning sun that the early autumn provided. Dressed in some of her best clothing and with her pack firmly on her back, Alix Redfern was glad to be back on solid ground again after the long trip from Slateport City. It had taken a long time to get there, and half the time she had had to chase after a certain curious someone who kept getting out of her cabin somehow.

The aspiring Trainer made her way down the dock to its Customs Office for the visit that an official on the Tidal had mentioned, during which she was required to submit her pack for a scan, and present identification to confirm that she was who her pass said she was. She had no problems with the scans, of course. Alix wasn't carrying anything dangerous or anything that couldn't be brought over from home. She did, however, have to declare the Pokémon that she had with her and present them for a brief check-up. Out came Matti's Poké Ball from her satchel.

A brief examination of the young Togepi later, Alix was carrying Matti out of the office in her arms, her pack on her back. A pair of billboards between her and the city beyond declared two messages: the first was a poster-like design welcoming people to both the Gensia region and Aquamar City, featuring three bird Pokémon she didn't recognise. The second billboard featured a depiction of a Tropius, two large racks of what looked like pamphlets and the message:

Any Trainers from foreign regions who intend to challenge the Gensia League must visit the Willow Pokémon Research Lab before leaving Aquamar City. Please take one of each map in the racks below to help you on your way around the city.

Thank you for your co-operation.

- Aquamar City Council

The Gensia League was one of Alix's reasons for being in this unfamiliar city, so she did as the sign said, cradling her Pokémon in one arm while she examined the maps. Unfolding each map in turn revealed the first to be a map of Aquamar City, complete with coloured paths to the Research Lab and Pokémon Center. Alix briefly wondered why there was no Poké Mart in a port city such as this, resolving to ask the person in charge of the Research Lab about it. The second map was one of the Gensia region itself.

"Alrighty, Matti, let's have a look around, shall we?" she said to the little egg-shaped creature she held, awkwardly folding up the maps she had collected and stowing them in the pocket of her jacket. The plan was to do a little exploring before following the blue path on the city map, the one leading to the Research Lab. Matti wriggled a little; he wanted to run around instead of sit comfortably.

"To-geh," he chirruped, waving his stubby arms. Alix laughed and lightly poked at him with a finger, making him smile in return. She held the young one in both arms again as she passed the billboards and looked out at the city that was displayed before her. She thought she had seen big cities before, but Aquamar was easily bigger. There were buildings stretching up into the sky, far taller than anything she had seen back home, complete with spires on top. And wide concrete roads that could easily fit plenty of people: Hoenn had nothing on this. This would definitely be something to call her parents about when she had a chance. Briefly she wondered whether her Xtransceiver would work here.

Men and women were going about their business as if they were long since used to the sights... the city made Alix's jaw drop a little. The idea of exploration was forgotten as she got a proper look at the hustle and bustle. It was an incredible sight.

"Hey, wake up, ya bum!" one of the deckhands kicked the recliner Russel was sitting back on. It shook, making Russel move a couple inches, yawning as he sprang to his feet, grabbing his backpack. "*Yaaaaaaawn* Here already? God, it feels like it's only been a couple minutes..." he smacked his lips a couple times, looking over towards the city. "Weeeeeeeeell... that's pretty." he said, smiling as he reached into his pocket. He pulled out a pokeball, pressing the button and releasing his trusted companion Munchie out of the ball.

Gul-pin. *Yaaaaaawn* The green blob stretched its little arms, its mouth opening wide. "Yeah, I know it was a long trip. Musta seemed even longer in that ball, amiright?" He picked up Munchie, placing him on his left shoulder. "Still, we're here." he pointed out to Aquamar City. While Russel had seen a few big cities while visiting Unova, it was before he had caught Munchie, so such a large town must have been impressive compared to the more green Fortree City. "Not bad, eh?" He said, moving his shoulder to nudge him, heading to the exit of the ship.

Before he could get a response, both of their stomachs growled. "Heh... guess I was asleep longer than I thought. Good thing I thought ahead." Still walking forward, he reached into the largest pouch of his backpack, pulling out a small plastic bag filled with various fancy foods. "Got me some leftovers from the buffet... not exactly the freshest, but it'll hold us over until...-" GULP! the Gulpin jumped into the bag headfirst and mouth open, almost all the food getting stuffed in its mouth, then chomping down to finish what was left.

"Oh no, don't leave any for me, I don't want to interrupt..." Russel said jokingly. Munchie turned around, looking sad. "Awww, you know I don't mean it. I know you got a bigger appetite, man..." he shrugged. "Plus, gives me an excuse to see what they got in town..." he set foot on the docks, managing to stay behind most of the departing crowds. "So... letter from Sergei said to check in with the local professor, Willow. Now how am I gonna get there...?" he started looking around as Munchie crawled out of the bag, climbing up his arm, holding his arm to his eyes and looking around as well. "Meh. We'll wing it. More fun that way, am I right?"

A crisp cool breeze of air whisked through the streets of Aquamar. Erika's hair lightly lifted into the air as she quickly moved through the streets. A light panting could be made out as she turned a corner and come to stop. "Damnit Burtha! Give me back the map before we get lost in this city!" Erika yelled at her Pokémon as it stopped in front of a road side café before turning around and taking off. The scent of fresh cookies was in the air and the Pig Pokémon was intent on finding out the source.

Not again. Erika took off again after her Pokémon. This time as the breeze passed her the city map that was stuck to her Pokémon came off and fluttered down to the street in front of her. Quickly she ducked down and picked up the piece of paper as she sped past a girl about her size, with light brown hair falling about the same length as her own. Quickly she sidestepped around a pair of walking business men who scoffed at the teenager chasing after her Pokémon.

"Burtha, we have to get to the Willow Pokémon Research Lab. You already ate; you don't need to go chasing after more food." Erika said as she turned a corner down a side street. Erika normally would have caught Burtha by now, but she wasn't used to the weight of her pack and it was slowing her down. Crap I'm going to have to ditch my pack.

Erika's pack fell to the ground behind her and she sped up. Turning a corner she removed Burtha's Poké Ball from her buckle and expanded it. Around the next corner she slid out and yelled, "return!" A beam of red light shot out of the ball and her Swinub dematerialized into the ball before it ran over a small child carrying a bag full of fresh cookies.

Forgetting to apologize, Erika quickly ran back to her bag. She did a quick inventory count and found everything to still be there. After sliding her backpack onto her back, Erika returned Burtha's ball to her buckle and began to look at her map to find her location. Walking while she was trying to figure out how to get back onto the route highlighted on the map. "I really wish the Research Lab was open last night when the S.S. Aqua came in. Now I'm half lost after spending last night in that motel," Erika thought out loud as she continued to try and find her way.

Eurydice was quite impressed by the amenities offered on the S.S. Sea Gallop. It boasted a full buffet, a swimming pool, a spa... it was like a full resort on the water. Her mother knew someone who knew someone, getting her a nice discount on the ride. She sighed and turned her Ponyta's ball around in her palm. The pokemon had gotten spooked by the water, and she had to return it to its ball. For once in her life, Eurydice had to walk around on her own, without riding on the Ponyta. Still, the ride was pleasant. Eurydice struck up a conversation with a pair of charming twins from Celadon City, who were travelling to Gensia to meet their parents.
"Is this the first time you're going to Aquamar? It's a delightful and modern city, much like Saffron City."
Will I be able to walk my Ponyta there? She'll want to run around after these hours in her ball...
"Oh, of course! The roads are wide, and a lot of trainers walk around with their pokemon out." The girl put her arm out, a well groomed Pidgeotto perching on her outstreched arm. She started to stroke its breast, laughing as it lightly nibbled on her finger. "It's a beautiful city, regardless. It's quite a sight to see a Rhydon ambling down the street alongside its trainer."

They parted ways when the boat docked, exchanging numbers before leaving. Eurydice released her Ponyta, which sped off for a second, racing around the dock. She pranced around before trotting back to Eurydice, snorting a greeting. Eurydice, for her part, took out a small apple, offering it to the horse in consolation for the long ride. She looked around as the Ponyta took the treat. There was a large sign directing her to customs, where she would no doubt have to stop, and a stand with some maps. Wow, Aquamar -is- pretty big... The tall buildings and paved streets were a far cry from the relaxed beach atmosphere of the Sevii Islands. She wandered into the Customs Office, leading her pokemon by the reigns.
Reason for visit?
Pleasure, I suppose
Pokemon?
One, Ponyta, under a year old.
Any plants?
A few Lum berries. 10, actually.
She showed them her trainer and her school IDs, drawing a thank you for the lady as they  cleared her through. She collected her Ponyta from the other side, slowly getting onto the saddle, sitting backwards, as was her custom. Already, she made a sketch of her first glimpses of the port town, with the skyscrapers in the background. She trusted the Ponyta not to stray from the road, instead absorbing herself in her sketchpad until they would pass a Pokemon Center.

As the S.S. Tidal began docking into the city's impressively sized port, a sailor let out an dreamy sigh. The city known as Aquamar was something incredible to behold. As passengers began migrating off the ship, Morgan made sure to follow the crowd, having no real time to get lost. The autumn morning might've still been young, but time deadlines for the Navy were fairly tight. He made sure to check his cumbersome duffel through the customs office, letting off habitual 'thank yous' and 'excuse mes' as he re-received his bag before gently pushing through the crowd and into the city.

He made a slight groan as he realized how tightly laced his boots were. He made survey of his surroundings as he took a folded piece of paper from his pocket. Unraveling the paper, there was an address crudely written on it. The address was for the Aquamar Naval Base, the place he was supposed to report to after touching down on land.

"After the first few steps off the boat...It shouldn't be that hard to find..." He murmured to himself, his eyes examining the massive cityscape. He started to wander the seaport, taking subsequent glances in between the world and that paper he had. Eventually, he bumped into a building that stood between the edge of the port and the strip of buildings that led further into the city. He took one last look at the address on the paper before looking at the gold numbers emblazoned on one of the doors.

"1520 Naval Drive, huh? This must be the place." He entered the establishment, the first person his eyes settling upon was one other, dressed in the same service uniform as himself. Apparently a fellow sailor of a rank higher than Morgan's, the man sat behind a desk, shuffling through paperwork. A few Pokéballs sat on the desk, getting jumbled in amongst the paper.

"Morgan Zakarias. Petty Officer Third Class reporting." He announced with a salute. The man slowly looked up his papers.

"Ah, yes. The only sailor stationing here from Hoenn. I've been expecting you. You received your 'mon, correct?"

"Yes. I was given a Chinchou by my higher ups back in Slateport." He said with a nod, pointing towards the single Pokéball that hung from his belt. The man sitting at the desk gave a scoff as he gave Morgan a better look.

"...Bet they told you that it might be harder here than it is there, huh? Luckily for you, Gensia's maritime and military policies are fairly lax. Hell, you really don't even have to be on shift 9 times out of the 10. Gensia has been one of the safest regions for centuries, and as far as I can see, that won't be changing any time soon." The man said with another scoff. Morgan gave off a reliving sigh, giving a smile as he repositioned the glasses that sat on nose's bridge.

"Heh, that's fine with me sir. I was planning on going reserve-"

"Ohhhh, so you weren't planning on working in the first place!" The man abruptly cut Morgan, laughing through every word. As he began regaining his composure, he handed Morgan a map from amidst the jungle of paper that inhabited the desk.

"If you're gonna stay here, you might as well get a better view of our region (most preferably, through your own terms). If you ever run into something out of the ordinary, I'd suggest reporting back here, but hey, that's the one thing we're not expecting to happen. If you want to keep that Chinchou of yours in shape, you should give the league challenge a try. You'll want to go to the Willow Research Lab first. A professor there'll give you further instructions. You can find the lab using that map."

Morgan couldn't help but snicker to himself. He was basically on a paid vacation here. In a predicament used in hopes for some freedom from his parents, it turned out the military wasn't keeping such a tight leash on him here either. He let out another snicker as reappeared back outside.

"Well, know that I got all this free time, what should I do next...?" He began taking steps further into the city, contemplating on checking out the Research Lab, just to see what they had to offer.

Sailing on the ship had been pretty good. Letting Yani fly freely, Heidi simply enjoyed herself, doing a little sunbathing before they'd arrive in Aquamar. She'd remembered to pack her bikini and sunglasses, and thought to herself why not since it would take some time to get to Gensia. Yani enjoyed her time outside of the Safari Ball and while she was flying freely around, she kept herself close to Heidi.

Once they were almost at Auquamar, Heidi changed to her normal black t-shirt and green shorts, keeping the bikini underneath though in case she got another chance to sunbathe while she would challenge the Pokémon league in Gensia. The ship arrived at the port, allowing all passengers to get off and onto land. Heidi walked towards the Customs Office, getting her ID ready for when she'd enter. Yani landed on her shoulder before they went in. Heidi had her backpack scanned and showed the people working there her ID. Once everything was done and over with, she exited with Yani on her shoulder and her backpack strapped on her shoulders.

Yani took to flying again, both of them looked at how astonishing the city looked. It had some fairly big buildings around, making Yani do a circle in the air so she wouldn't fall backwards. Heidi giggled at it and kept walking, finding two maps under a billboard. One of Aquamar City, and the other of the Gensia region. "This'll come in handy." she said as she put the map for the region in her backpack and kept the one of the city in her hands to find her way around.

Though she didn't head towards the research lab just yet. She wanted to take a look at this port city of Gensia. Wandering around inside the city, she saw a lot of people, some who looked like trainers. She also wondered if they were new to the region or born and raised in Gensia, but she didn't think about it for long. Especially not when she saw a girl riding a Ponyta. The first sign of a Pokemon from one of her favorite types. She walked over towards them with Yani following closely behind above her. "Excuse me." she said. "I've got to say, that's a very nice Ponyta you've got here."

"Excuse me."

Eurydice looked up to see an older girl with brilliant red hair. She smiled and nodded, nudging the Ponyta in the side to get her to slow to a walk. She took out a red pencil from behind her ear, making a quick, rough sketch of them, before scrawling "Beautiful Hair" at the bottom and flipping the page so Heidi could see it.

The second thing she noticed was the Yanma zipping behind Heidi. Now, Eurydice had seen a few Yanma's before. Her aunt and uncle would take her to Fortune Island from time to time, and they would walk around Ruin Valley. One or two trainers fought with Yanmas. But she hadn't seen one for a while, and not this close. "Is that one yours?"

"Yeah, she's mine. Been a close friend now to me for two years." Yani landed on Heidi's shoulder and received a scratch under her chin for it. Heidi smiled and looked back towards the girl. And the sketch she'd made. "Are you an artist?" she asked Eurydice. "That looks rather good." she said, looking at the sketch.

Yani flew off her shoulder again and to the Ponyta's face, making sure not to burn her or the red bow she wore. She tilted her head to the side and observed her for a little while longer before flying circles around them.

Ponyta whinnied in curiosity, snorting and sniffing as Yani flew around. Eurydice gave Heidi a thumb's up.

I draw sometimes. I'm Eurydice. Kanto.
You?

She assumed Heidi wasn't from Kanto. As far as she knew, the ship she was on was the only one from there recently. And she would have noticed a girl with red hair and a Yanma. While Heidi talked, she slowly added more detail to the sketch. The Yanma was actually quite cute. Eurydice had no problems with bug pokemon, but they tended to stay away from her and her Ponyta. Yanma... Yanmega She thought about it. I've never seen a Yanmega before, except in pictures. They don't look very friendly.

"I'm Heidi, from Sinnoh. You have a unique name. How do you pronounce it?" Heidi asked while she watched Yani fly around. "My Yanma's name is Yani. What about your Ponyta? Does she have a name?" Heidi wondered if Eurydice figured that she knew what gender her Ponyta was when Eurydice hadn't told her.

Yani in the meanwhile flew around the three of them before flying up close to Eurydice to inspect her closer. She thought her curls looked cute, like the ones on Heidi. Though them being white was curious. It wasn't a haircolor Yani was used to seeing except maybe on the elderly.

Eurydice jumped a little when Yani brushed through her hair, instinctively swatting around a little. She didn't hit Yani, managing to regain her composure.

You-ree-die-chii
She then pulled up an arrow pointing to the Ponyta.
Ponyta
She shrugged. There was no real reason to give her a name, since she didn't really call her. Everyone else called her "Ponyta", so that's what it was called. Her aunt and uncle, and all her friends. It saved Eurydice one step. Maybe she would name her someday, but by then... well, it would just be a formality.

She drew another arrow, pointing to the next words she wrote.
Professor Willow too?

Yani flew back towards Heidi, this time sitting on her head. She didn't want to have frightened the girl, but was afraid that she did. Heidi giggled a little. "I apologize for Yani. She can be a bit curious. Especially in a new place like this."

She looked at what Eurydice wrote. "Ah, I see. Eurydice. It sounds kinda cool." She smiled towards the girl, then giggled at her next word. "A Ponyta named Ponyta. I assume she doesn't have a nickname, then. That isn't uncommon from what I've heard."

Heidi answered Eurydice's next question. "Yeah, I'm going to see her as well. Would you like to accompany me? I promise that Yani won't be in your hair again." She smiled still towards her.

A tall, gangly teenager tottered down the boarding ramp of the S.S. Aurora, clutching his churning stomach as he made his way to the dock. He was glad he didn't have anything left in his gut to turn up, but even more glad that he would soon be on terra firma. Once the teen set foot on the dock, he inhaled deeply and sighed in relief for being off the rocking vessel. "I think it's safe to say it'll be a long while before I set foot on a boat again."

An Elekid growled in agreement as he trailed behind the boy, the Spark Plug Pokémon looking just as relieved the boy was to be walking on something a little more stable. The fresh Trainer adjusted the straps of his backpack comfortably on his shoulders and made his way toward Customs. The office was none too far from the docks, which was perfect considering how the time the teenager was willing to spend near the sea was dwindling fast.

"Alright, can I get your name and where you're coming from?" Asked the woman who was checking the Trainer through.

"Caleb. Caleb Cotterill. That's with two 't's and two 'l's," the boy explained. "A-and I'm coming from Sinnoh region. More specifically, Canalave City."

"Alright, an-,"

"W-well, actually I'm coming from Jubilife City," Caleb quickly interjected, feeling as if he needed to clarify. He awkwardly fumbled with his words as tried to better explain his traveling situation. "I just, y'know, had to travel to Canalave City to get here and...yeah..."

"Well, the port of departure was really all I needed. So, I'm just going to need your bag a moment."

"Yes, right. Of course," said Caleb sheepishly as he removed his pack for Lenore, as the customs officer's name tag made apparent. He handed her the pack and he could see she had assumed it to be lighter than it was. Lenore soon had the bag sitting in a scanner, which only took a moment to analyze his belongings. Caleb's luggage made it's way back to him sooner than he'd expected and she proceeded to ask him a few more questions. The light interrogation only took a few moments and Caleb was quickly on his way through the checkpoint, officially arriving at Aquamar. The skyline was unlike anything he'd seen before, the skyscrapers appearing to have done just that with some piercing the clouds and leaving their highest points to the imagination while many others had grand spires resting atop them.

Caleb made the mistake of attempting to take in this grand sight and walk along the road leading from the port. This careless mistake led to him almost being bowled over by a Doduo that appeared to be flitting from its owner, who passed Caleb just moments after. Caleb smiled a bit at the sight, thankful that Spike was at least compliant enough to keep by his side. His smile quickly faded as he saw that he thought too soon, having noticed Spike walking onward to a pair of large billboards on either side of the road. While Spike was transfixed on the mysterious trio of bird Pokémon, Caleb's eyes went to the one opposite with the depiction of the familiar sauropod Pokémon and several racks of pamphlets. Caleb quickly hurried to this second billboard and grabbed a pair of pamphlets which folded out to reveal maps, one of the region of Gensia as well as one of Aquamar. The Trainer was in the middle of analyzing the map of Aquamar when Spike trundled over, playfully swinging his arms casually as he stood aside Caleb and inadvertently building up a gradual charge. Growing curious, Spike tried to move Caleb's arm enough to get a view of the paper he was looking at, causing the built up electrical energy to shoot straight into the boy's arm. Caleb jumped and yelped loudly, dropping the pair of pamphlets and nearly teetering over, just barely managing to keep his balance with the aid of the billboard. His reaction garnered strange looks from passers by whom no doubt understood the cause of the commotion with the sight of the electric Pokémon at his side.

She nodded digging in her bag. She unfolded the map she had received at the port, quickly finding their location and the Willow research lab. Her X-trans acted like a GPS, giving her Ponyta verbal directions.

Turn Left, Now.

Eurydice was used to drawing from the back of her Ponyta, and quickly finished Heidi's portrait as they arrived in front of the lab. She ripped the page out, took a snapshot of it, and then handed it to her with a smile. Not wanting to be rude, she dismounted her pokemon, leading the Ponyta into the lab by her reigns in case she got spooked. Eurydice took a quick look back to make sure that her new companions were following, smiling briefly before continuing forward.

The lab looked pretty standard to her. The smell of sanitizer was strong, but familiar. It reminded her of her aunt and uncle. I hope they're not worried about me... I'll call them as soon as I have a minute. She stopped at the Reception area, waiting for Heidi. It would take less time if she explained what they were doing here, and made initial introductions.

Alan stepped off the boat and gave his legs and good arm a much needed stretch. He had been forced to take the cheap boat from Johto to Gensia due to recent medical bills and had been crammed into one of the tiniest cabins he'd ever seen the whole way. "Well, at least I handled the trip better than Clay... Oh yeah, I'd better let him out before he gets even more upset about it." He muttered, grabbing a Pokéball out of his pocket and releasing Clay from it.

The Tyrogue seemed a bit happy to be out of his ball but remained silent, regarding Alan with a sullen look. "Hey now, I warned you that this would happen if you couldn't calm down. You can't be running around and destroying stuff that isn't yours, I can't afford to clean up after you like that. Look, once we win this thing we can take the most expensive boat we want back home. You can run around on the deck all you want, eat what you want, and it'll probably even have a gym or something." Alan said trying to get Clay out of his bad mood to no avail.

After a bit Alan sighed, giving up and heading towards the customs office with Clay following behind. At first Alan had admired the little guys determination and fighting spirit, but he had noticed that if Clay lost or didn't get his way then he tended to get a little moody. Guess I really have my work cut out for me... He thought as he stepped into the Custom's Office.

The process was relatively simple and Alan was on his way in just a few minutes. The questions were basic and searching his possessions didn't take long at all since he had traveled pretty light. The part he was worried about was the examination of Clay, but the Tyrogue seemed to stay calm enough for that. Now that they were officially in Gensia, Alan took a moment to look over Aquamar City. It seemed to be much larger than his hometown, but then Cianwood was pretty small compared to some of the cities of Johto anyway. Navigating big cities and unfamiliar lands would be an adjustment but that was all part of the challenge for Alan.

After a bit two nearby signs caught his eye and Alan stepped over to investigate. One was a typical welcome sign but the other had a notice saying he needed to head over to some research lab before he could challenge the League. Alan picked up one of the maps and began looking it over to get familiar with the city. "Hey, here's an idea Clay. How about a race to see who can get to the research lab first? If you win, I'll buy you whatever you want for lunch eh?" Alan suggested, figuring some exercise and a challenge would get Clay back in a good mood.

The Tyrogue still remained silent, but Alan could see the hint of a smile spread across Clay's face that showed his idea was likely successful. Clay crouched down as though ready to sprint off in some random direction until Alan grabbed ahold of him to stop him. "Whoa there buddy! We don't even know where the place is yet and you haven't gotten warmed up. Take a few minutes to stretch so you don't hurt yourself and I'll find the place on the map, Ok?"

Clay nodded enthusiastically and immediately set to work getting ready for the upcoming race. "That's the spirit." Alan said with a chuckle as he continued looking over the map to find the Research Lab and familiarize himself with the city in general.

"I really should've thought this through better. Getting through customs isn't going to be easy. No passport, no ID, no money for bribes, no tools, nothing. We need a plan. Got anything?"

"Pi?" Willow seemed to tilt her head and stare at Sam, chirping quietly.

"Always a wellspring of insight, aren't you?"

He shook his head, running a finger along the little Pidove's wing. The pieces of a plan began to fall together in his mind. He patted Willow lightly one more time, then put her back in her pokeball, sliding it back onto the clip on his belt. Let's do this.

He walked through the ship towards the queue of people waiting to get off it, hoping for some luck, and the lady seemed to smile upon him, a man stepping out of line with an urgent look on his face. A man who bore a vague similarity to Sam - same general build and hair color. They'd never be mistaken for one another normally, but in this situation, it might work. He followed the man to the bathroom, noting the top end of his papers sticking out of the back pocket of his pants. Now he just needed a distraction. As the door into the bathroom swung shut with a thud, Sam flicked Willow's pokeball off his belt, the pokeball bursting open and Willow flying out, chirping loudly in what Sam could only guess was annoyance.

"Whoa!" The man yelled, in the middle of unbuckling his belt.

"Crap, I'm sorry, damn buckle..." He grabbed the ball off the belt and made a show of fiddling with the return on it, quickly slipping his other hand down to the man's pocket sliding out his passport, the man too distracted to notice. "Willow, return!" The beam shot out of the ball and caught Willow mid-flight, while at the same time Sam stuffed the passport and ID into his own back pocket.

"Sorry about that."

"Heh, it's no problem." The distraction gone, the man quickly ran into the stall. Sam took a spot by the urinal briefly, taking care of his own business, then washed his hands and headed out, making sure to zip up his fly just as the door swung shut behind him. The details are important. A moment later he took his place in line, and a few minutes after that the man walked back from the bathroom, looking a bit pale and strained. Definitely glad I only ate the pre-packaged stuff.

Sam examined the ID and passport, quickly absorbing the basic, easy to remember facts on it. The rest wouldn't be questioned about. Jerry Stanley McGraw, yadda yadda yadda, 3931 Chista Street, Black City, no registered Pokemon, unmarried...it'll work.

Over the course of two hours the line spooled out. Most of the people seemed bored out of their skulls, but Sam managed to remain focused two ways - long years of practice, and abject terror. If this failed, he'd likely be sent back to Unova, and then...it didn't bear thinking about. He wouldn't go back, one way or the other.

Slowly the line came into the customs office, and almost immediately he seemed to be there, he could feel the sweat rolling down his back as he set Willow's pokeball down on the line.

"Papers, sir?"

He'd forgotten to get them out. He quickly withdrew them and handed them to the man, who flipped through them quickly.

"Name?"

"Jerry McGraw."

The guy stamped the passport and handed it back to him. "Welcome to Aquamar City, Mr. McGraw." He waved him through. Sam quickly collected his ball and moved along, snagging one of the pamphlets as he walked by and walking as quickly as he dared to the exit, wanting to be out of there well before the man he had robbed reached the front of the line. He hit the door out into the city a heartbeat before the man revealed the deception. As soon as he was out the door he headed into the city, breaking into a sprint as soon as he had cleared line of sight with the customs office, ducking through alleys and side streets until he came to a roadway a decent ways from the office, where he hunkered down to catch his breath.

That was a little too close. He leaned against the wall, panting, then flipped open the pamphlet and map to examine them, focusing on the map and doing his best to commit the street addresses of any major locations to memory. It probably wouldn't work, but sometimes you get lucky.

"Have to head to the Willow Research Center, hm?" He reached down to his belt and detached Willow's ball, letting her out. The little Pidove flew onto his shoulder, chirping into his ear in what sounded like a reproachful manner.

"Sorry, sorry about surprising you. But we're off the ship now. Aquamar's not so bad, is it?" Willow chirped, more happily this time. He grinned and got to his feet. "Research center...research center..." He started walking, heading for the center. Apparently, his flight from the customs office had taken him more or less in the right direction, he was only a short hike away.

Sam folded up the pamphlet and map and slid them into his pocket alongside his stolen ID and began walking towards the research center.

A loud cry of shock startled both Alix and Matti: the Trainer whirled around to find a boy a few years younger than her with a small Electric-looking Pokémon standing nearby. Presumably the Pokémon had shocked him: maybe it wasn't trained enough. Whether it was or not, the distraction was enough for Matti to slip out of Alix's grasp. Landing lightly on the ground - thankfully - he immediately ran over to the yellow and black Pokémon to investigate.

Alix was not far behind him. "Matthew Redfern, come back here, mister!" she chided. She didn't normally use his full name, except when he got into trouble. Being a 'baby Pokémon', though, he didn't learn from his mistakes all that often. Alix picked Matti back up while he stared at the Electric-type, despite his protests and wriggles.

"Sorry about that... Matti can be a little too curious sometimes," she explained to the guy who had caused the stir. "Is that your Pokémon? Are you new to Gensia as well?"

The receptionist behind the counter, a blond-haired man in his mid-twenties, was on the phone as Eurydice and Heidi entered the Lab. Or at least, he sounded like he was on the phone, but he was talking into an earpiece and looking at his computer monitor. "No, you're not hearing me. I specifically said that we wanted two of each Nidoran species... Oh, for Arceus's sake. For the last time, Professor Willow needs them for her studies!" He held up a hand to the two Trainers as he caught sight of them, indicating he would be with them shortly.

"Look, there's money in it for the Trainers who catch them and send them over, enough to cover the expenses of catching them... yes, you guys get a cut for being the go-between. We've been over this before. Are you new to the job or something? ... Oh. Okay, my apologies. Just... just make sure to put the notices out properly this time. Post them up all over Kanto if you have to, but we do need those Nidoran. Alright? Okay, bye."

The receptionist - Jason, according to the name-plate on his desk - tapped a button on the side of his earpiece, sighed and slouched in his chair a little before he remembered Eurydice and Heidi, straightening up and turning his attention to the two girls. "Sorry about that. Welcome to Professor Willow's research center. Are you here to see the Professor?"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here