Avatar RP Reboot (start of that bothersome war everyone talks about)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Oi, lookie here, a reboot for an rp run by a slightly mediocre GM that fell on its face three miles down the line? Eeeeeeyup.

Anyways, the story goes you're all either brand-spanking-new acolytes of the White Lotus ready to save the world....or you're all a bunch of misbegotten mercenary whores out for money. There's a few sheets that are returning, so they've got spots reserved, you know who you are because I told you before I put this up.

It's Post-Roku, but before that pesky 100-year war starts, and an AU so all that special bending stuff that's somewhat widespread by the end of the first series? It's not really known that people can do that yet, one of the few limitations. And this is not a gritty, adult, Frankie Miller world, this is somewhere between the show, and real life, with a bigger emphasis placed on the show. So beer-swilling lugnuts walking through town that butchered your entire family with the nearest garbage pail handle? Not going to be accepting them unless the drunk hobo had a name rhyming with Momo and Appa at the same time.

You'll be starting out at the Earth Kingdom Avatar Temple, northwest of Ba Sing Se, either a mercenary/good samaritan/drunk shanghai'd bystander/wandering monk, or a White Lotus initiate/mid-ling level subordinate. They allow all benders and non-benders, so nothing to limit yourselves there with, but WL members will either have more respect or be hated as the worst of the worst depending on where and when you are. The exact time frame is four days after Roku's little disagreement with the volcano and no one but the inner circle of the Avatar Temples knows he's getting a new body.

Oh, and please just try to stick to the normal four bending styles, you all might get an upgrade as the rp progresses, or you might not, depending on how the character acts, but they'll also have to earn it through character development.

Anyone interested in Avatar, there is also PrinceofSharpie's RP:
www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.393443-Avatar-Legends-of-the-Dark-Age?

Sheets Accepted thus far:

Why hello again, good sir! I'll be working on my character sheet down here.

Redryhno:
snip

since there are reserved characters; are there any types of benders/non-benders that are in higher demand (I don't want to make a water-bender/fire-bender/swordsman/etc in a party full of them after all)

hiei82:

Redryhno:
snip

since there are reserved characters; are there any types of benders/non-benders that are in higher demand (I don't want to make a water-bender/fire-bender/swordsman/etc in a party full of them after all)

Well, I just have players reserved, regardless of what they feel like doing, and in regards to the question, the ones reserved had a, more or less, even distribution across the bending and non-bending venues in the last boot-up of this. So, anything's up for grabs pretty much, two of every bending style and two non-benders at the least are kinda what I'm looking for.

I liked the RP, hated my character. I'll come up with a new one, if you didn't mind me jumping ship the second things got too slow.

Would it be alright if I resubmitted the character sheet from my last application? It wouldn't be too hard to fit in the White Lotus angle into his backstory.

Resubmission a go.

ruedyn:
I liked the RP, hated my character. I'll come up with a new one, if you didn't mind me jumping ship the second things got too slow.

Go on ahead, so long as you don't jump as soon as it slows down because of someone's schedule.

Arcanist:
Would it be alright if I resubmitted the character sheet from my last application? It wouldn't be too hard to fit in the White Lotus angle into his backstory.

Go on, but sorry I can't guarantee you a spot for sure, I didn't feel like trying to get everyone together in the tea house right at the beginning this time. A bit different for everyone coming back.

Well, here's a slightly reworked version of my last submission.

And done!

If anyone wants to work on a shared backstory; let me know.

Well, I disliked firebending because the two abilities I planned on spamming were pretty under powered or didn't exist, so let's hope Air bending is more fun.

hiei82:

I'm up for that. How do you think an Air-Bender mercenary would fit into your story?

I am going to copypasta Genji into this again. Avatar versions of Gara forever.

ruedyn:

hiei82:

I'm up for that. How do you think an Air-Bender mercenary would fit into your story?

Well; Kei is - to compare him to the original series - a bit like Iroh; he's meant to be the old, wise man more then anything else. There are a few similarities between the character's stories - trained by air-benders, some elements of Fire-Nation in them, bandits killing families. It's possible Kei would empathize with Riku and try to guide him down a more peaceful path then the one he's on now.

That said; Riku's "obnoxious, seemingly arrogant and highly sarcastic... ruthless and analytical" parts likely prevent a true Student-Sensei relationship, unless Kei is trying to teach Riku to overcome those parts of his personality.

Any ideas on your end?

hiei82:
Well; Kei is - to compare him to the original series - a bit like Iroh; he's meant to be the old, wise man more then anything else. There are a few similarities between the character's stories - trained by air-benders, some elements of Fire-Nation in them, bandits killing families. It's possible Kei would empathize with Riku and try to guide him down a more peaceful path then the one he's on now.

That said; Riku's "obnoxious, seemingly arrogant and highly sarcastic... ruthless and analytical" parts likely prevent a true Student-Sensei relationship, unless Kei is trying to teach Riku to overcome those parts of his personality.

Any ideas on your end?

Hmm... Possible they traveled back when Riku had any semblance of a family, adding your character into a few of their adventures like the Harlem Globetrotters in Scooby Doo would be possible. Probably after his dad left the scene, they could've known each other, perhaps taking the brothers in on their way to the city?

ruedyn:

hiei82:
snip

Hmm... Possible they traveled back when Riku had any semblance of a family, adding your character into a few of their adventures like the Harlem Globetrotters in Scooby Doo would be possible. Probably after his dad left the scene, they could've known each other, perhaps taking the brothers in on their way to the city?

Possible. Question though; is Sora another character that hasn't been submitted or an NPC?

Edit: Also: sleep time.

hiei82:

ruedyn:

hiei82:
snip

Possible. Question though; is Sora another character that hasn't been submitted or an NPC?

Edit: Also: sleep time.

He would be an NPC, unless someone wanted to play a one armed firebending twin to my character. I get the feeling nobody would though. Also, he died but I could easily edit.

Repost of Geb coming up!

Edited for improvement, may do some later revisions too.

ruedyn:
He would be an NPC, unless someone wanted to play a one armed firebending twin to my character. I get the feeling nobody would though. Also, he died but I could easily edit.

Okay; in which case I don't know, maybe? The biggest hurdle is; that while Kei would empathize with Riku, I don't think he would like him very much all things considered. Riku's actions make him a sort of darker reflection of Kei (and vice versa).

hiei82:
Okay; in which case I don't know, maybe? The biggest hurdle is; that while Kei would empathize with Riku, I don't think he would like him very much all things considered. Riku's actions make him a sort of darker reflection of Kei (and vice versa).

I planned for him to start his turn to cynicism when Sora left, so he would have been the happy parts only around the time they knew each other.

ruedyn:

hiei82:

I planned for him to start his turn to cynicism when Sora left, so he would have been the happy parts only around the time they knew each other.

Okay; sounds good. One change in that case however; rather then having traveled with Riku/Sora, how about the two knew each other for a while at the Southern air temple? Riku was there for some time, and Kei would have been traveling the world learning different techniques, so it would make sense they met there, then parted ways before the disaster struck. This way; Kei doesn't know about Riku's hardships since then or of Sora's death - makes for a much more interesting first introduction I think.

Thoughts?

hiei82:

ruedyn:

hiei82:

Okay; sounds good. One change in that case however; rather then having traveled with Riku/Sora, how about the two knew each other for a while at the Southern air temple? Riku was there for some time, and Kei would have been traveling the world learning different techniques, so it would make sense they met there, then parted ways before the disaster struck. This way; Kei doesn't know about Riku's hardships since then or of Sora's death - makes for a much more interesting first introduction I think.

Thoughts?

Riku has never been in an Air temple :|

His father was from there, however. You could say Kei is a family friend instead of a traveling companion, and visited the village a few times when Riku and Sora were both in one piece, happy, and friggin adorable children. Fixes alot of the problems methinks :D

ruedyn:

hiei82:

ruedyn:

Thoughts?

Riku has never been in an Air temple :|

His father was from there, however. You could say Kei is a family friend instead of a traveling companion, and visited the village a few times when Riku and Sora were both in one piece, happy, and friggin adorable children. Fixes alot of the problems methinks :D

Works for me. Will make note of it in my character sheet in the near future

hiei82:

If he's spent any time in Ba Sing Se's slums in the last decade, he's probably run into Shao.

Arcanist:

hiei82:

If he's spent any time in Ba Sing Se's slums in the last decade, he's probably run into Shao.

More likely they have at least heard of each other. Kei tends to travel, righting wrongs where he goes, while Shao stays in one location (relatively speaking) so the two probably don't know each other well; but they are a bit of kindred spirits. If they have meet, it would have been brief (perhaps both trying to bring the same criminal to justice and teaming up to see it through)

Thoughts?

It's more that he's VERY prolific in those slums. The city's nobles largely leave them to their own devices, so he's taken it upon himself to keep it from descending into total chaos(to mixed success). That means he's acutely aware of anybody of any import that enters or leaves, so if Kei stirred up any trouble with a local crimelord he'd both know very, very quickly and would definitely offer his help.

So we're starting up again? Lemme see if I can dig up my old sheet:

Would probably be unfair to bring in my old character after unconventional bending styles got nerfed, but would a non-bending expy be okay? To be fair, badass hunteress turned travelling herbalist does seen like a solid character idea on its own to me. You could possibly have a non-bender from one of the water tribes get annoyed about not being able to learn healing 'til they hear about the Taku place.

VuvuZelaMan:
snip

Shadowstar38:
snip

JokerboyJordan:
snip

Welcome Back.

Arcanist:
snip

My only "problem" with this, is my own fault for not telling everyone. The Lotus isn't the secret organization it is in TLA, it's much more open and known for the most part as being partners with the Avatar Temples, the Temples are safeground for the Avatar and their allies, and they care and maintain for the places and defend them, while the Lotus are the more active arm of the Avatar, think of them as the ones that search for the Avatar when it's needed and the bodyguard.

Sorry for kinda rambling there, it all boils down to, you go find a Lotus member, and they take you and whoever else is interested back to the Temples, to see if they're field-Lotus material, or if you're more along the lines of Temple Guard.

Important for Everyone:
Basically remember in the old thread that this is my AU, while mostly canon in the series, I've taken some liberties with the things that haven't been cemented, and manipulating some of the things that have.

hiei82:
snip

I'm currently having a problem with Kei's induction into the story. On one hand, he seems perfect for the wandering merc start-up, on the other, he's kind of old for that, and Lotus member doesn't seem right for a man that wanders righting wrongs where he sees them. The sheet seems fine other than (my own) blockage on the part of how he comes into the...well, start of it all.

While not an actual con for choosing characters, I'm not big on characters setting up backstory for each other before either of them being told they are accepted, just in case we ever run into each other again with me in the captain's GM's chair. Don't worry, it's not going to affect my decision concerning the character acceptance.

ruedyn:
snip

First and foremost is to refer to the above sentence, because I'm lazy and don't feel like paraphrasing.

Next, I'm having trouble seeing this character. His father's an Airbender, who got tired of....something, and decided the Southern Air Temple wasn't his cup of tea anymore. Now I get that he went off to live in the Fire Nation, that's no problem, but he then has two kids, who he doesn't at least try to pass on, while at least not the pacifism ideology, then I'd think he'd try to pass on the sanctity of life philosophy. Which he doesn't. Instead he encourages the killing in a relatively peaceful time, from my point of view at least. Until I understand more, I can't say yes to this sheet.

drmigit2:
snip

As much as I understand your enthusiasm of a Gaara clone, I don't know if I can accept this character for the reasoning that Sandbending isn't exactly a "true" bending style, but a branch-off of two of the main bending styles. While not rejected, Genji is on hold for right now, if another sheet comes up that is Earthbending, and about the same level of quality, then I'm going to have to pass on him. This is simply for the reason that "upgrades" and evolutions of characters as the story goes on will inevitably come up, if this continues onto it's hopeful end, and Sandbending, I just can't figure out a way to give you more than you already have.

Tiger Sora:
snip

Quite nice as always Tiger, two problems, one is her fighting style, while I'm fine with the bender sheets that have more than bending as their things, like Zela up there somewhere, and another one somewhere, it's not exactly needed if all you do is Bending, as your style is kinda already set for you with your type of bending, not to limit you, but non-benders' "advantage" over benders is that they have more than one style to draw from. If you feel like making her a year or three older, then I'll accept it as well as her Firebending fighting style, simply because she'll have had more time.

Second is the more important of the two. Are you sure you can commit to this if you are accepted? Not to be an ass, but the few rp's I've been in with you, you've had a habit of starting off fine, but dropping off the map for weeks at a time, if you ever come back at all. I'd have to require that you post a few times a week, and to not leave people hanging if your actions coincide/depend/etc. on you, especially if it's a GM post, because no one likes waiting for a post that might not ever come. Go on and pm me if you feel offended, or go ahead and call me out on my shortcomings on here if you want, I'm hoping it won't go the same way a few other rp's we've been in together have gone. ;]

CrazyGirl17:
snip

Hello CrazyGirl, nice to see you and Daiyu again. You might not be on the reserved list, but you do have a higher chance, so...yay!(?) Really no comment on the sheet, in terms of negativity. See ya hopefully inside my new and prestigious club of epic awesomeness with blackjack and hookers!

To the rest of you misbegotten lurkers:

You want in, submit a sheet by Friday, and I'll tell you how badly it looks so that you can go cry in my specially designated corner where I collect your tears to drink to my health!

But seriously, Airbenders and Eel Hound trainers are in short supply(no, that's not an Aang joke), so step right up, and submit your sheet so that I can enjoy the pain you'll feel when the Doctor lands on your head randomly to tell a joke.

I hope I haven't seemed like too much of an ass so far, but if I have.....um...go call your congressman/president/prime minister/whats-ee-whos-its, I hear they begin listening to your complaints once you hit the goal of roughly a billion in net worth. Or something like that?

Muffin Button:
Would probably be unfair to bring in my old character after unconventional bending styles got nerfed, but would a non-bending expy be okay? To be fair, badass hunteress turned travelling herbalist does seen like a solid character idea on its own to me. You could possibly have a non-bender from one of the water tribes get annoyed about not being able to learn healing 'til they hear about the Taku place.

Sorry I didn't talk to you in the last post, stupid me. You can go ahead and bring in your old sheet, if you cut down to Waterbending, if you see up there around Drmigit, I tried to explain my reasoning this time around as best I can without giving anything away. Or make up a new character if you want, I'm not about to say no before I see a sheet, there's only a few people I outright say no to, and you are not one of them.

Redryhno:

My only "problem" with this, is my own fault for not telling everyone. The Lotus isn't the secret organization it is in TLA, it's much more open and known for the most part as being partners with the Avatar Temples, the Temples are safeground for the Avatar and their allies, and they care and maintain for the places and defend them, while the Lotus are the more active arm of the Avatar, think of them as the ones that search for the Avatar when it's needed and the bodyguard.

Sorry for kinda rambling there, it all boils down to, you go find a Lotus member, and they take you and whoever else is interested back to the Temples, to see if they're field-Lotus material, or if you're more along the lines of Temple Guard.

Minor edit to bring his backstory into line.

Thinking of going the shanghai'd drunken bystander route. Sheet up soon. Expect a humorous non-bender guru sort of character with a penchant for snark. He'd most likely end up as the team's Sokka

Redryhno:
snip

If you are talking about lightning metal and bloodbending, then wouldn't air follow the same unfortunate roadblock? I mean I don't think it ever got any real evolution so it would be right there with sandbending in that regard. Besides, you can always take things to the next level with a little creativity. For example, perhaps he could make a clone out of the sand and have two of him fight at once, and if you struck the clone then it would latch on to you and he could then use the sand to crush you or something like that. You get the point though that technically anything can evolve right? If the character was underpowered then it would be my problem in the end and there are ways around anything.

Also, while I did state that he is like Gaara, he really only resembles him in his fighting style, not personality so he is an original character in most regards. I do understand that he is a bit unconventional but he would be fun.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked