Evangelion 2.0 (open- signup)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

@Asclepion: Okay, that opens up some possibilities.

Anyone online who wants to take that cracked shield and bruise? If not I'll write up a post taking it.

pyroguy86:
Anyone online who wants to take that cracked shield and bruise? If not I'll write up a post taking it.

Took it; D-18 does view herself as expendable equipment after all.

hiei82:

pyroguy86:

But...mark recovered at about the time the grenade was caught be the water, and he was at the back of the group regardless when he made the throw. Unless the formation scattered he would still be safe.

EmperorZuma:

hiei82:

pyroguy86:

But...mark recovered at about the time the grenade was caught be the water, and he was at the back of the group regardless when he made the throw. Unless the formation scattered he would still be safe.

I figured you were the least safe since you had to be away from cover to throw the grenade. I suppose I can change it to someone else, but no one else seems likely to be in the blast range and gosh darn it I want to do something.

EmperorZuma:

hiei82:

pyroguy86:

Ya, at the moment I don't think a sacrifice play is necessary. The formation is designed to absorb frontal force. At worst, the water powered grenade cracks a shield and one of the pilots in the back rows sends his shield up front to replace it.

Three questions, though.

1.) How much progress has the phalanx made? Percentage wise.

2.) Can the water cannon be destroyed by something the pilots can grab hold of, perhaps the jagged edge of a broken shield or a piece of shrapnel from the grenade. Would these be hard enough to pierce the cannon's tubing and lower the water pressure.

3.) Where is the water cannon in relation to the flag? At the end of the passage beside the flag, firing continuously in one direction? Or, is it in the middle of the passage, designed to fire a the rear and sides of the formation as the pilots pass it by?

@EnigmaticSevens: Significant progress. The flag is beside the water cannon.

Though locking shields is the intended solution, there are likely to be others. However, if the pilots manage to find a solution that does not involve the shield lock, but still involves teamwork, the exercise is considered to be a success. If by some means a single pilot manages to force their way to victory alone, they should be considered to have failed the exercise, as they left the rest of their team behind.

I don't know what Mr.Ivebeenframed was trying to do :/

@Asclepion: Random grenade for teh drama, probably.

Asclepion:
@EnigmaticSevens: Significant progress. The flag is beside the water cannon.

Though locking shields is the intended solution, there are likely to be others. However, if the pilots manage to find a solution that does not involve the shield lock, but still involves teamwork, the exercise is considered to be a success. If by some means a single pilot manages to force their way to victory alone, they should be considered to have failed the exercise, as they left the rest of their team behind.

I don't know what Mr.I'vebeenframed was trying to do :/

Amira wanted to determine who would react first to a random event much like what would happen if something unexpected happened during an Angel attack.

Sorry if that messed anyone up.

Pappytech:
snip

Immediate medical attention for grievous injuries is for the weak.

hiei82:

Pappytech:
snip

Immediate medical attention for grievous injuries is for the weak.

D-18 is a good soldier. Undoubtedly, she (and her many, many offscreen copies) will do her (their) part to defend humanity.

In the meantime, the not-so-good soldier will be running around like a headless chicken.

@Redryhno: Ninja'd, editing.

Although pilots being in good shape when sent out in their Evangelions would reduce the likelihood of an Angel causing a TPK and catastrophic end to the game.

Asclepion:
SNIP

Is it okay if I get a word in with a few of the pilots or are you in a rush to get us into another angel fight?

@Mr.Ivebeenframed: Redryhno wanted to do his thing, so others can post as well.

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
Snip

Who is the Ensign?

EmperorZuma:

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
Snip

Who is the Ensign?

Iggy. I forgot to add his name. (See what not enough sleep gets you :P)

Also who is Amira's pilot?

Sorry for the delay folks, been out running errands all day. I'm typing up a post now.

Also, I hope I'm not out of line, but I did have a thought. While battling Angels and going through combat exercises is fantastic and a blast to play out, a bit more space for a some interpersonal contact would be nice. The attempt at debriefing was a great start, but I hope as we progress we get some time to see these pilots not only out of the cockpit but also not facing a clear and present conflict or danger. I hope this is making a tiny bit of sense, at least. I'm just thinking back to the show and the reboot, so much of the story's depth comes from those moments when Misato, Asuka, and Shinji are crammed into one apartment. Hell, Shinji hanging out with Rei and getting to understand this person leads to our whole climax. (Also I can only tolerate Shinji when he's not in danger, I want to strangle him in almost every other situation.)

So short version: Yeah, roommates, this should be a thing.

I'd like to apologize for a lack of posting on my part...bloody writers block.

@EnigmaticSevens: Noted, thanks for your feedback.

@All: Anyone else want to see that?

@Asclepion: I'm sure putting me and Hiei together would make for a good sitcom.

@All: I tried laying the groundwork for what Sevens is talking about in my post already. Kinda didn't make sense to me that the pilots would be allowed their own places for them only, and the family groups each are assigned to give everyone their own little soundboard if they so want, and keeps them all together close enough that we can have the NGE quiet moments.

@Sevens Specifically: Really? You can stand Shinji at ANY point? I only watched everything once,well...twice technically, I watched subbed and dubbed versions, and he was the reason I can't bring myself back to watching any of it. You have a much higher tolerance for over the top whininess than I do.

@Redryhno: Ahhh, perhaps I misunderstood? When you say family groups, you mean groups of pilots? Oh that makes much more sense, I was thinking they were each stuck with some random British family like awkward foreign exchange students. And yes, I have a pretty high tolerance for annoying whinging, but Shinji in an Eva I can't do. All that whinging when lives are at stake?! I come from a very public service oriented family and the amount of selfishness Shinji demonstrates on a consistent basis is enough to make me physically ill.

@Asclepion: Yes, yes, berserk Shinji is a treat, but HOW MANY EPISODES DID IT TAKE TO GET THERE?! And again, lets not forget that in some continuities, all that rage is almost solely centered around Rei, that quiet girl he kind've molested at one point and maybe sorta has a thing for, and that this obsession essentially leads to Armageddon. Well, Third Impact, so 3rd Armageddon.

@Sevens: Oh, kinda a mix of foreign exchange students and pilot groups. I mean, it's more like they're living with a NERV personnel...person...that kinda just makes sure they don't go off and get themselves killed doing teenager things(we had all better know what I'm talking about here, at least the general ballpark...universe...area...thing....yeah), and everyone just lives in close proximity. I mean, would you really expect a twelve year-old to pay the electric bill? Well, maybe the prodigies, but the manufactured and neo-spartans? I don't at least, seeing as their social and economic knowledge may be limited to basics, to Ayanami levels(probably not the best comparison...she does live in a loft by herself...)

But anyways, I thought that having each character have their own little npc's that can be in or out of the shot whenever they feel like would help with - some - character development, as well as play with some Eva/anime tropes, seeing as everyone here so far hasn't been seen with their disabling anxiety and crippling mental illness of any sort, yet.

@Redryhno: I know I made the assumption in my post, but is my character bunking with yours? If not I'll edit it quickly.

@EnigmaticSevens: Where did you get the idea that Shinji Ikari was being selfish at any point? His entire life is in the service of others, so much so that him taking control of his own destiny is a major part of his character. Same thing for Rei.

Plus there's THIS:
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1335/05/1335050647470.jpg

Redryhno:
Oh, kinda a mix of foreign exchange students and pilot groups. I mean, it's more like they're living with a NERV personnel...person...that kinda just makes sure they don't go off and get themselves killed doing teenager things(we had all better know what I'm talking about here, at least the general ballpark...universe...area...thing....yeah), and everyone just lives in close proximity. I mean, would you really expect a twelve year-old to pay the electric bill? Well, maybe the prodigies, but the manufactured and neo-spartans? I don't at least, seeing as their social and economic knowledge may be limited to basics, to Ayanami levels(probably not the best comparison...she does live in a loft by herself...)

But anyways, I thought that having each character have their own little npc's that can be in or out of the shot whenever they feel like would help with - some - character development, as well as play with some Eva/anime tropes, seeing as everyone here so far hasn't been seen with their disabling anxiety and crippling mental illness of any sort, yet.

Does that mean we'll all just be living in some kind of apartment complex in our own rooms with an NPC who's there to make sure us pilots don't screw around?

Asclepion:
@EnigmaticSevens: I honestly don't know where you got the idea that Shinji Ikari was being selfish at any point. His entire life is in the service of others, so much so that him freeing himself and taking control of his own destiny is a major part of his character.

Plus there's THIS:

Shall we count the number of times Shinji refuses to pilot the Eva and runs away as AN ANGEL IS ATTACKING THE CITY? All of Shinji's internal dialogue is center solely upon himself, upon his own angst. Not once does he separate from his own needs to see to the needs of the greater good. He pilots the Eva because he's his father's sock puppet, not because he has any understanding of the concept of self-sacrifice. But that's not to say he's a bad character. In fact, it's his ability to inspire such revulsion that proves him a well built character. And he fills his role well. As a stand in for the Freudian Ego, he's supposed to be selfish.

Heck, if I stumbled across a fascinating character study centered around Shinji, and the evolution of that exploration of the Ego through Naota (FLCL), culminating in Simon (Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagan). Essentially, it takes Gainax three shows to spawn a non-wussified Shinji.

@Pyroguy: Sure, you could also look at it as an apartment complex full of Misato/Shinji/Asuka living conditions if you'd like. Jacoline's not exactly the most trusting of people, and is more than a bit....overprotective(not exactly the right word?), especially considering some of the pilots backgrounds, and she'd like to keep them close to make sure they don't do anything stupid.

EnigmaticSevens:

Asclepion:
@EnigmaticSevens: I honestly don't know where you got the idea that Shinji Ikari was being selfish at any point. His entire life is in the service of others, so much so that him freeing himself and taking control of his own destiny is a major part of his character.

Plus there's THIS:

Shall we count the number of times Shinji refuses to pilot the Eva and runs away as AN ANGEL IS ATTACKING THE CITY? All of Shinji's internal dialogue is center solely upon himself, upon his own angst. Not once does he separate from his own needs to see to the needs of the greater good. He pilots the Eva because he's his father's sock puppet, not because he has any understanding of the concept of self-sacrifice. But that's not to say he's a bad character. In fact, it's his ability to inspire such revulsion that proves him a well built character. And he fills his role well. As a stand in for the Freudian Ego, he's supposed to be selfish.

Heck, if I stumbled across a fascinating character study centered around Shinji, and the evolution of that exploration of the Ego through Naota (FLCL), culminating in Simon (Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagan). Essentially, it takes Gainax three shows to spawn a non-wussified Shinji.

1st off, Shinji didn't pilot Unit-01 because his dad told him to. In the first episode, that's just what Gendo tries to do - ordering him to become a pilot. He refuses; and can you really blame him? He arrives in Tokyo-3 just as a giant lovecraftian horror stumbles into town, nearly dies trying to get there, only to be ORDERED by his neglectful father to get in a giant robot and very likely die to maybe save the city. In fact, the only reason he initially gets into the mecha is because the "backup pilot" - Rei - is so injured she can barely stand.

This of course results in losing control of his Eva and watching as it tries to tear the angel apart, scaring the already mentally unsound child for life.

But all that said, he can be a bit annoying at times, but that's why people can empathize with him. He isn't some battle-hardened warrior, trained from birth to fight the angels like Asuka or a being literally made to fight like Rei; he's an ordinary sort of person thrown into extraordinary circumstances and reacting to the fear of death in a reasonable way.

At least, that's how I see it.

@Redryhno: Wait, so are the pilots living with each other, NPC NERV personnel, or some combination of the two? Because I'd really like to have roommates. And bunk-beds. Bunk-beds are great.

@Shinji-Argument: There's no denying that Shinji has his less than favorable moments, and of course he can come across as incredibly annoying. But on the other hand, whatever his reasons were, he did get into the Eva, he did risk his life to protect other people, etc etc.

For me, the moment that truly established Shinji as a likable character is his rejection of Instrumentality. He's given the chance to, once and for all, stop suffering, to stop feeling pain and isolation. But instead of taking that route, he chooses the more painful existence, because he knows that, in the end, it'll be the more meaningful one. Both the End of Evangelion and the manga put the poor kid through such hellish torture, yet he's still able to make that choice? Good for him. (And I still have no idea if Instrumentality actually happened in the original show)

Still, there's no denying that it can be fun as hell to make fun of him.

@Hiei: Sure, you could say that Shinji did it because Rei appeared in fifty million bandages, but you could also look at it in the way that I see it. Gendo made sure the Shinji saw that, and used her as the backup plan because, I like to think, he knows his son alot more than people give him credit for, and then went on his little guilt-trip "If you won't pilot, then we have no choice but to dump Mrs.Mummy(HA, puns) into her giant cyborg angel, of course she'll die and everyone else in the city'll die too, including you."

Now I have no problem with the way Shinji acts persay, however I do have a problem in that he will never commit to anything unless Asuka or Misato convinces him to. Exactly how many times did he try running away, but pussed out at the last second because somebody was watching him at the time? He has no problem running completely when he can sneak out, but the moment someone hits the alarm, he goes crying back into their arms, and they tell him everything's going to be ok,(when they know it isn't) and then magically let him do the same self-pity cycle over and over again, as if it was entirely their fault that he ran away. Which you could make the argument for, sure, but in the end, he never does anything for anyone else unless it makes himself look or feel better by doing it.

Well, besides the causing another Impact event thing, but I'm pretty sure in his screwy mind, that was his way of eventually coming out as the savior of humanity at some point down the line.

@Redryhno: So, about those bunk beds...

@Asclepion: Sorry, forgot about Enigmatic's point. Personally, I like having a bit of downtime for characters to just mess around in, either bonding or pissing each other off. Climbing into giant robots and beating the crap out of aliens is fun and all, but it's the quieter moments that really let me get a feel for the characters.

@Pappytech: I suppose bunk beds could be one of those luxuries you can buy with that card...OTHERWISE YOU GET INSECT RIDDEN COTS FROM THE 40'S!!!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked