Horizon Walkers (Game Thread) Dead

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Alex had kept an eye on the cloaked figure, and noted it taking control of one of the Leimans, he only observed for a time though as all it did was make the man gorge himself. It did the same with the lion, a gluttonous spirit then. But then it left to join others at a meeting. He had previously been happy to let Dalrel claim leadership, such a claim was meaningless and insubstantial but he was not about to allow some toxic being to speak for them.

He approached the group quickly and quietly, stopping alongside the possessed lieman "Leave him now, you have no right to his body or mind," he said, directing his voice to the Lieman but loud enough that others could hear.

Without turning his attention from him he addressed the others "This 'Tarquin' does not speak for us either, rather it is a controlling spirit having taken possession of one of your men."

Kyras listened intently, they had been found out.
He moved to near the other one, Kes, and sat beside her. He began speaking in a hushed tone.
"You don't know me and I don't know you, but it's clear to me you were held by them for awhile as well. They know we aren't them. If you help me get out of their territory, I'll help you get where you need to be. I could make a run for it on my own, but I don't know the territory and walking into it alone sounds like a fast way to die."

"You don't know me and I don't know you, but it's clear to me you were held by them for awhile as well. They know we aren't them. If you help me get out of their territory, I'll help you get where you need to be. I could make a run for it on my own, but I don't know the territory and walking into it alone sounds like a fast way to die." Kyras said.

Kes raised an eyebrow at the statement. She'd been listening to the conversation of "leaders" and what not. Truthfully she didn't much care who was chosen; all this talking was meaningless to her. The only thing which had meaning to her was action. The alternative offer Kyras raised was an intriguing one if without benefit.

"I don't need to be anywhere; my people are gone-" she said between bites of food. "-and I think there's still safety in numbers." She took a moment to think before continuing. "However, when things turn bad I'll be ready to run; if we stick together, I'll work with you." She waited for a reply before turning back to the conversation on leaders. After a few seconds she returned to Kyras and asked "So how long were you in the arenas?"

"I don't need to be anywhere; my people are gone - and I think there's still safety in numbers. However, when things turn bad I'll be ready to run; if we stick together, I'll work with you. "

"Fair enough."

"So how long were you in the arenas?"

He took a moment to think about it, a small amount of happiness crept into his voice as he thought about it being over.
"I think it had been three Ides out of a Deck."
He paused and realized out of every Horizon he had been on, his tribe was the only one to use that system. He figured it would be easiest to use what he knew of the system his keepers used. The happiness seemed to leave his voice as he remembered his tribe.
"From what I gleaned, over three of their year cycles. How long has it been for you?"

"From what I gleaned, over three of their year cycles. How long has it been for you?"

Kes didn't answer right away; instead focusing on the conversation at hand. Or rather pretending to. Truth was, she was counting the number of years. After a few seconds she spoke again. "Around fifteen I think. I don't know for certain." she said pensively; she tried not to think of the past and it reflected in how she spoke of it.

"Around fifteen I think. I don't know for certain."

"I'm sorry to hear that." He sighed and shook his head "The gods'll cut those monsters down some day."
He downed the rest of his glass of water and turned his head back to the "leader" / "execution" debacle that would determine whether the plan turned into a gut and run or a peaceful walk away.

Vaerys watched what happened with growing interest but that interest went down the hole as the little spectacle broke up. He looked at his plate seeing it empty which made him a little anxious. He loved rest just as much as anybody but staying down for too long made him feel uneasy. It made him think and remember thoughts that he wanted to throw out into that dark abyss. He was walking back, partially looking out the tent when he caught himself nearly walk into one of the ex-gladiators who seemed to be napping on the floor. He chuckled before curiosity got the better of him.

"So, where are you from?" Vaerys asked the creature. He remembered one of the other ex-gladiators mention her name but the memory eluded him except for when the arena, the creature had a muzzle on. "I imagine that lion throwing is a past time, isn't it?

She perked her ears up, letting them twitch as Vaerys spoke to her, then briefly considered ignoring him. Then the thought crossed her mind she might be stuck with these people a bit longer then just this check point/base thing, at which point she opened her eyes and give a quick look around before replying.

After all, she was 'laying low' to keep the trouble to a minimum.

"We have no 'lions' to speak of back home, nor do we have humans." She said as she sat up "Which I'm starting to think might be a good thing" She then paused, and pondered a moment "As to your first question, much with my name, your human language lacks the sounds needed to speak them. Unlike my name, which has no accurate translation, the forest I came from does have a reasonably close translation. 'The Nine Trees'."

Serragish kept an ear on the debate. Not that she planned to be around long enough to be invested in the result. The tent was brighter now, no one bothered to close the entrance and the searing cerulean starlight streamed in.

''....Anything you'd like to know?''

The second in command responded simply "Right now it's not what I know that matter's. If keeping certain things to yourself means we can avoid more deaths then I don't blame you. Right now I just recommend you pick someone who can diffuse the situation. I've done what I can for you.

''Please, by all means, what do you need?''

"The alcohol is long gone from this camp, so right now I just want to keep everyone alive, I'm sorry about your friend by that way." That last part was suddenly genuine, surprisingly so. "Who was he? If you don't mind the question?"

"Serragish, do you need help examining that?"

The question took her aback a little, how hadn't see seen him there either way she soon remembered Des, the one that didn't look right. Again something she'd have to keep check up on, though soon she could just ask. Odd how different she felt after just 24 hours. The question made her chuckle a little, why would she need any help. "I think I can manage reading a map, nothing wrong with my sight or anything." That probably sounded more dismissive than she realised.

"My name is Tarquin - short for Tarquinius. And dear me, this 'Daldrel' doesn't seem to know anything."

It was annoying to see them argue, it wasn't going to make things any easier but still she wasn't speaking out just yet. "This 'Tarquin' does not speak for us either, rather it is a controlling spirit having taken possession of one of your men."
The commander pauses giving Alex an odd look "I know the faces of everyone here, if he's possessed he came through the horizon that way, but that's not even relevant, what makes you say he's possessed?" Maybe this man wasn't as dumb as he looked, though wait a second, possession that might. Serragish spoke up after all.

"Wait a second, you can't just accuse people of being possessed with evidence. I'm sure Tarquin is fine" She offered Tarquin a hand to shake "Aren't you, honourable chap I'm sure. Which reminds me, I was looking at this map and was wondering about that"

She points at the broken bridge.
"What about it?" Asked the second in command.

"Well funny place to build a bridge isn't it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Who builds a bridge between two pieces of featureless desert?"

"Well there used to be a city that spanned the desert."

"Then where are the ruins?"

"Buried under all this sand I'd say?"

"So a bridge survives all these years but nothing on either side."

"What's the point of this we've scouted and the bridge is totally broken. No way across."

"Well of course there's no way across because they weren't building a bridge."
The two both spoke quickly but managed to keep up with each other.

"What are you suggesting it is then?"

"Get me there and I'll figure it out for you."

"No, It's an hour travel each way and resources are scarce, we've not found a single living thing or drop of water that doesn't sleep at this camp or come out of the abyss. I can't let you risk it and I'm not putting anyone else up to it on behalf of a hunch."

Damn, normally she just spoke quickly and people were too impressed to answer.

"I think I can manage reading a map, nothing wrong with my sight or anything."

Des chuckled as well. "Of course, I was just curious, to be honest. Just wondering what a beautiful woman such as you wanted with the map, surely something fun and interesting." He leaned closer in his seat, trying to see the map a little better, but not managing to.

"So---" before he got the chance to ask about something else, Serragish started talking with one of the mortals from this world, discussing the map. Kes was busy talking to... what was his name again... Kyras? Yeah, Kyras, and their conversation didn't sound very pleasant. Des couldn't think of anything encouraging to say, and so, he didn't speak, just listened around from a conversation he'd be interested in. Luckily, Alex provided that rather quickly.

"This 'Tarquin' does not speak for us either, rather it is a controlling spirit having taken possession of one of your men."

Des tilted his head, looking at this Tarquin. He didn't think he had seen him in the arena, nor when they got through the horizon. Was Alex speaking the truth then? Then again, Des didn't remember most of the guys of their group, their faces all sorta looked the same to him. Des wasn't sure what he thought of possession, a little of it wasn't bad, as long as the mortal was treated well, and it didn't last for very long. Some creatures needed to do that to survive, after all. Besides, sometimes mortals needed to be led, else their own lack of experience would ruin them.

Is Alex speaking the truth, I wonder? Or rather, does he know for sure?

Des listened to some of the other mortals speak, they were talking about proof. Proof would be needed, yeah, though Des didn't particularly either way, just the possibility was... curious. Not as interesting as if it had been a woman, -or as a female in any situation- but he sat closer to the two.

"How do you tell if someone's possessed or not?" he asked Alex. "He looks like a normal mortal to me." He was still smiling, not unnerved by the thought of the possibility of a spirit capable of possessing people, nor bothered by the heavy atmosphere in the room because of the military people.

"My name is Tarquin - short for Tarquinius. And dear me, this 'Daldrel' doesn't seem to know anything."

Dalrel was in disbelief for a few moments at the sheer audacity of the statement thrown at him-- it was probably true in the context, but they were all strangers here. ''There is no need to belittle others, whoever you are, and aside from that at least I'm making an effort to help, if you somehow know more about our group, which I doubt, considering my name is Dalrel, of the Free State Ilyara and the house of Alress, but by all means, negotiate.''
He figured throwing a few names around the others hadn't heard of ought to shut this 'Tarquin' up.

"This 'Tarquin' does not speak for us either, rather it is a controlling spirit having taken possession of one of your men."
Brilliant he thought to himself. He gestured to the rest of the group as the conflict brewed next to him. ''Does anyone else have any exotic secret or nefarious agenda while we get to know each other?'' he asked, as the thinly veiled courtesy he once spoke to the taciturn general with began to fade.

The man's smile twisted into a frown of confusion, "Is that how you Pagan-types dismiss one another? How quaint. It is also slander from an Outsider against an Imperial Plebeian, I might add. And please, stop acting like you hold some sort of authority here."

So much for trying to help. 'Tarquin' couldn't possibly leave the leadership of such people to men like this.

"...Aren't you, honourable chap I'm sure..."

And then finally a friendly face but there was something recognisable about the women. The Leimian threw up his arms in exasperation, not returning the handshake out of caution.

"The most, if I may be so bold. I could be bolder and take this slanderer to court. However, I do have some goodwill."

There was quite a tightrope to be walked here. Especially with some of the people in the room. Unfortunately, the human was so utterly keen on being the leader was being a nuisance.

"...but by all means, negotiate..."

"So easy to trust one who also has belittled another, and so easy to dismiss another's help I see..." The Liemian's eyes narrowed, "What sort of a leader does someone like that make?"

The question hung in the heavy atmosphere.

"I know the faces of everyone here, if he's possessed he came through the horizon that way, but that's not even relevant, what makes you say he's possessed?"

"How do you tell if someone's possessed or not? He looks like a normal mortal to me."

"Is that how you Pagan-types dismiss one another? How quaint. It is also slander from an Outsider against an Imperial Plebeian, I might add. And please, stop acting like you hold some sort of authority here."

"Yes he joined us shortly before we entered the horizon, which was odd enough in and of itself, but there are elements of his behavior that make me suspect him," he said calmly, addressing Des and the Commander, mostly the commander. He spoke in a cheerful but polite tone "I've encountered a number of them in my time, of many different varieties, they all have their quirks and its not too hard to spot one when you know theirs. This one so far has sought to consume, control, and escape, it joined us in a bid for freedom from the empire and since its been here its done nothing but have its body gorge itself on food, as for control well you can see right here its attempt to grasp for that."

He ignored Des's reference to 'other mortals' for now, the possessed man was a larger issue and he would do his case no favors by making more accusations. He had glimpsed some of Des's interaction with the snow elf before she died, watching from a safe distance to be sure he wouldn't harm her, but he had asked for her blood and she had given it. She hadn't seemed to behave different afterwards either, maybe a bit more tired, but it was something he would confront the self proclaimed demon about later.

He then turned to address the possessed man "I may not hold any authority here but neither do you, even if you weren't possessed your claims to leadership are ludicrous, you only joined our group shortly before we crossed anyone else in the group would know it better, could speak for us better."

He took note of how the man had refused to shake Serragish's hand, he wasn't quite sure what it meant though. Well other than the fact that the spirit was rude. He had certainly made a misstep in simply declaring his suspicions, it was all too easy to forget that these people had no inquisitors, but he wasn't about to let the spirit continue to hold a man's body and mind against his will.

"Does anyone else have any exotic secret or nefarious agenda while we get to know each other?"

Alex chuckled at the remark, though the spirit found it less amusing.

"What sort of a leader does someone like that make?"

"I believe you belittled him first, if we're getting on people's case about name calling, and you haven't offered to help so much as vie for his position," he said calmly "A position he's more qualified for than you, given that he's at least been with us for some time."

"Is that how you Pagan-types dismiss one another? How quaint. It is also slander from an Outsider against an Imperial Plebeian, I might add. And please, stop acting like you hold some sort of authority here."

The mortal didn't seem possessed -or was it possessing- as he spoke clearly, and with a certain knowledge that sounded like it belonged to someone like him. It did seem a little bit odd that he was that quick and vicious when it came to defending himself -lashing out on whoever stood in his way- but that might be because Des preferred the more pleasant and laid-back mortals, the ones who didn't plan their every move.

"Yes he joined us shortly before we entered the horizon, which was odd enough in and of itself, but there are elements of his behavior that make me suspect him. I've encountered a number of them in my time, of many different varieties, they all have their quirks and its not too hard to spot one when you know theirs. This one so far has sought to consume, control, and escape, it joined us in a bid for freedom from the empire and since its been here its done nothing but have its body gorge itself on food, as for control well you can see right here its attempt to grasp for that."

Des tilted his head. He was slightly confused, but not because it was difficult to understand what Alex was saying, rather because it sounded off. Weird. An assumption based on something that was simply natural. "Is it not mankind's true nature to indulge in whatever provides them pleasure?" he asked, though he already knew the answer.

"It is only normal for a mortal to eat everything he can enjoy, should he have the chance, the same way it is in their nature to seek out pleasure in other forms. For example, freedom and control. Mortals give up a lot for pleasure like that, after all, they sacrifice what they can in order to feel good." He chuckled, friendly, as there was nothing but praise and interest in his words.

"That is why I like mortals so much. They cannot resist the temptation in the end. It reminds me of myself." He glanced over at Serragish, thought only subtly. Des then smiled, very innocently. It wasn't done as a way to manipulate, simply the fact that he had no underlying plans, nor meant anything bad about what he was saying.

"I think you might be a bit quick to judge, Alex. Now, if his head started turning completely around, then we'd be talking about possessed."

" Unlike my name, which has no accurate translation, the forest I came from does have a reasonably close translation. 'The Nine Trees'."

"Sounds pretty." Vaerys mumbled. "And trust me, not all humans act like this. My people, you may call them dwarves, are more simpler to deal with. If you don't like someone, you don't deal with them or you kill them. Either way its very straight forward with us dwarves. One time, me and my mates were dealing with some orcs. I must admit that a smarter group might have went around or dug under their wall. Not us though, not us dwarves. We spent all night hammering at it until it fell. You should have seen the looks on their faces! Hah!" Vaerys threw his head back in a roar of laughter before he calmed down. He was completely oblivious to the talk that the others were having so he laughed quite loudly.

"Ah, what do you do for fun in 'Nine Trees'?" Vaerys asked, curious of the creature and her world.

She tilted her head to the side a bit, if it where possible there'd be a question mark over her head "What are 'Orks'?" She asked, "I should hope not all humans are like this, but the other humans I encountered where rather timid, like what you all refer to as a 'deer', so It's hard to get a good bead when they seem to only act in extremes." she added, really just thinking aloud.

"Ah, what do you do for fun in 'Nine Trees'?"

"Depends on the time of year, the Harvest and Spring celebrations are usually the most 'fun', outside the odd 'joining' ritual or birth celebration" She paused a moment "Come to think of if, I've been to a few funerals that were pretty lively to."

"That is why I like mortals so much. They cannot resist the temptation in the end. It reminds me of myself."

"We can resist temptation, and know better than to gorge ourselves," he said calmly "Do not project your own nature on others."

He felt he had some understanding of Des's purpose as a demon, or what he suspected it was, now. The demon hardly fit the rules of those in his world, but those rules were loose to begin with. A tempter and hedonist, though he wasn't certain how he spread or grew in strength exactly it was clearly tied to that. And to blood, though its strange he requested that rather than just take it.

"I think you might be a bit quick to judge, Alex. Now, if his head started turning completely around, then we'd be talking about possessed."

"The more dangerous a possessive spirit is though the less it makes its presence so obvious," he replied "Their behavior always gives them away, if you know what to look for."

"Do not project your own nature on others."

'That's rich.' The Liemian thought. Tarquin's opponent was clearly set on smearing the poor man's name completely in the possession bullcrap. Even worse was the fact the other man was claiming to have no authority but was acting if the complete opposite were true. Goddamn hypocrite. If only he knew how wrong he was...

"Says the man projects weigh onto his words." The man replied, "All of that is conjuncture, where is the proof? You might be the one possessed for all we know. Ha."

This debate about possession was going to take a while she could tell. To be honest she wasn't that concerned either way. Possession was probably an improvement for these people.

She went back over to the map, annotating it with various calculations. "Hey miss you can't do that!" The second in command was quick to try and stop her.

"Relax I'm just writing on the featureless desert. Also you're wrong about travel time, if you keep straight ahead you can get there in closer to half the time and even less if we're mounted."

"I already said it was too dangerous. I can't let you go, we've lost too many people to exposure. You don't even have sufficient covering."

"I'm going, I don't need you're permission or protection and I don't make a habit of staying in the company of people that plan on having me killed."

"He won't have you killed, you just need one of you to talk to him explain you're here to help. If you're with us you've nothing to hide."

With that Serragish turns her back on the group and the second in command.

She doesn't say anything as she walks outside of the tent.

She notices the dwarf and the cat by the pen.

"You want to leave this place." She turned looking towards the sun seemingly unaffected by the glare. Then looks towards the horizon before pointing at an amorphous lump. "How fast are you on all fours?"

The second in command is out. "Please reconsider, where you are even planning to go, there's nothing but us and the abyss for miles."

"I know my options. But you can chase me if you like."

"No I'm not sending anyone else out there and if you do you'll be killing them."

Serragish doesn't bother answering.

Alex replied, smiling, but he clearly wasn't liking what Des had said.

"We can resist temptation, and know better than to gorge ourselves. Do not project your own nature on others."

Des looked at Alex, confused. Had he taken it as an offence? More so, was he trying to be rude to Des? Was this mortal like some of the ones back home? Arrogant with regard of their own existence? Des smiled, though he wasn't really fond of being spoken to like this, not by a mortal who thought he understood more than him. "Oh, I'm not projecting my nature onto others, Alex. I know that some mortals don't like hearing it, so I'm sorry if I offended you. You want happiness, don't you? How do you obtain happiness? Through pleasure, of course. Nothing else, nothing more." He leaned forward a little, not getting too close, but close enough for Alex to catch a glimmer of orange Des' eyes through the illusion he was seeing. His facial expression was mischievous, but there was something different, more dangerous in his eyes, making his demonic nature more obvious.

"Everything is a sin, Alex. Would you rather live your life killing, or loving? In the end, all you mortals can do is make a choice." He chuckled. "I'd rather spend the time I have being a lover, though I cannot make the choice for a mortal. My point is, don't you rather want to have pleasure, than to live without it? Do you wish to deprive other of that pleasure, simply because you don't think it's morally right? I've seen many mortals like you, and they all want to be happy, in the end, even as they deprive other of that happiness." His smile turned a bit more serious.

"I may not be as clever as you, but I know the nature of mortals, so please don't assume I'm projecting anything, okay? As for your other argument... if it's so hard to see, how can you be so sure it is a possession?"

"Says the man projects weigh onto his words. All of that is conjuncture, where is the proof? You might be the one possessed for all we know. Ha."

He sat back, and nodded, though this whole affair was giving him a headache. "That's a point..." Des tilted his head back and forth, trying to decide something. This was just causing more disagreement, after all. Finally, he lighted up. "How about we say that no one are possessed? That'd mean we don't have to think about this anymore." He smiled, believing that was the right thing to do. If someone was possessed, they'd discover it if something went wrong, after all.

"I know my options. But you can chase me if you like."

"I'll stay here, if no one minds, I'm not really made for killing creatures," he said, and leaned back. "Besides, I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave without resting."

Kyras listened to the conversation with minor amusement, suddenly gaining focus when he heard the woman... what was her name again? had she even mentioned it? It didn't matter, she was planning to leave. And the way she talked and the way she lit up when she got here made him suspect that she's either been here before or was from here. Which meant that assuming it hadn't been completely overrun meant she probably knew how to survive out there better than he did.

He stood up as she walked out of the tent and he followed her.

"If you wouldn't mind I'd like to come along with you."
He paused briefly before speaking again.
"I'd also be happy with directions to an exit other than the one we just used."

"Come to think of if, I've been to a few funerals that were pretty lively to."

"Aye, we dwarves don't dally too much into the mourning of death but rather the celebration of life." Vaerys solemnly said. There was arguing now between a few members of the ex-gladiators. He couldn't help but hear that there was some kind of commotion about something or other. He glanced back at the commotion before focusing back to his conversation. "In our weddings, an event isn't considered a great one if there aren't at least five fights. We like to quarrel a lot maybe even as much as our friends over here." He said, motioning to the gladiators near them.

Serragish stands on the sand, looking back to address everyone she can. The bright orange sand is fine flowing around her sandals and getting stuck in places already. If she stands still too long she can feel herself sink slightly.

"I'm leaving, those that want to come with me we're heading towards that." She points towards the broken bridge it's far in the distance, can barely make out the features and against this landscape the scale or distance are near impossible to determine. "I don't know about other portals but I know how to find out."

It's getting a little darker, or at least the brightness of the star was dimmed a little. The shadows are harsh and the difference in temperature between light and dark is very noticeable.

"You don't have to go, there's still a place for you here just talk. We've food and supplies. And there are people back home who need us here." The second in command was trying to remain calm. "I can take one of you to meet the Commander now, just tell me who you think is best for the situation."

Serragish walks forward getting closer than she normally would to the Second in command. She didn't look happy. It was then a flash of green light between the two knocked Serragish on her ass then standing there is a cloaked figure. Even without a visible face Serragish got the impression that the figure was glaring the verdant residue from teleportation magic still orbiting them.

Serragish makes a dismissive noise and walks away and out of the camp after getting up. Progress is deliberate but she's not hard to keep up with, her hood is off and the skin glow is back but only in the places exposed to direct light.

She couldn't help but snicker at the Dwarves recounting of how his people celebrate "I know a few Packs like that..." she started, but was interrupted by a human, who seemed to be in a hurry for something, and didn't wait for her to reply, it struck her as rather rude. So she excused her self from the Dwarf and followed long enough to get close enough to nudge the human with the top of her head. "Two things, one, it is rude to not wait for the answer when asking some one a question with out telling them you don't require an answer from them. Two, I have no idea, fast enough to run down what you call 'deer', why?"

"What's a deer? And more importantly how fast can they run. You see that structure, I reckon that's where we're heading and depending on how fast we could we could be there in an hour or half that time."

Serragish pulled back her hood letting her hair flow again, the remaining light caught her face and there was the same luminescence. They were walking parallel to the gulf but I wouldn't recommend looking in.

Back at the camp the second in command looks to the others, "If you must follow her make sure to take something to cover up, we've spare robes and you'll need as much skin as you want covered, even at night here there's enough light for exposure. I don't know what it is but being bare skinned for too long makes you sick."

The cloaked figure spoke for the first time, the voice was somewhat feminine but didn't sound anything like human. "Should I follow them?"

"No, she could be dangerous and I'm not having anyone I think will listen to me risk it."
"Understood. Are you feeling ok?"
"Yes, thanks just been a long day."

" I don't know what it is but being bare skinned for too long makes you sick."

"Don't mind if I do!" Vaerys said as he beamed at the prospect of free items. Dwarves were taught at an early age to be wary of free items but Vaerys wasn't a scholarly type. He would leap at the notion of a free item much to his comrades' chagrin and it had landed him in quite a bit of trouble but it was nothing his axe couldn't fix. He's survived by the skin of his teeth thus far and anything that could help him he would have to get. Not only that but he wasn't quite done telling his story to the animal-lady.

He fetched a cloak that could accommodate his width but not his length so he tore off the end at a size for him. The fabric gave way with some effort but once he put on the dirt-brown cloak, the end nipped at his heels. "Might have misjudged it a bit..." He grumbled before he left the tent in search of the lady. He spotted her with ease as it wasn't hard to notice her. He made his way to them even in a dash even with his short legs.

"Another adventure awaits!" Vaerys proclaimed as he reached them. "So, where's this place now?"

She couldn't help but smirk a little as the dwarf came up, excited about 'adventure' as she pondered what to do "Would It not be better to wait till the sun was down, lands such as these are best traveled at night after all." She commented, having already decided going with this human, and the dwarf apparently would be better then listening to the other humans argue.

Kes glanced back and forth for a short while before coming to a decision. It wasn't a hard one; stay with the Liemians or follow someone little more than a stranger into the wilds. She'd go with the stranger. Better to take the chance of danger rather than ensure it by following the word of Liem dogs.

"So what's the plan?" she asked the strange woman who seemed to have taken charge.

The Leimian watched as the others made their preparations. Of course it would be a nice idea to go outside, where exposure would make one feel nauseous, but the idea of escape was on their mind and freedom was a sweet siren song. The man smiled, it would, at least for the Leimian, it would be more trouble than it was worth. It was natural that the Leimian should stay with the Leimian camp. Hopefully the others wouldn't leave them behind...

"Bonum cursum!" The man beamed.

Camp
The setting sun was slowly sinking past the horizon, funny how quickly it got dark. Soon there was barely any light, just a shimmering indigo and silver outline on the silhouettes of strangers. The only other light was the red orange and yellow fountains gushing out of some pieces of wood and spilling over into little pools dotted about the camp.

"Bonum cursum!"
The party were suddenly so in the dark and far from the nearest torch. Those that hadn't left, the second in command and the cloaked figure.

There was silence for a while as those leaving put distance between themselves and the camp.
The same inhuman voice from before spoke "They won't make it far."
There was a long pause before the second in command responded. "I tried to warn them."
"I know don't blame yourself."

It was then these golden lights appeared you could see them just over the skyline above the ridge countless golden stars shining over the camp their soft light far less harsh than the local star. It actually look pretty nice and these ones didn't burn your eyes if you so much as glanced at them.

"Fuck." The second in command and cloaked figure spoke simultaneously.

"Can you fight?" The pair asked the remaining party. The faintest sight of a slinking shape crossed between them and a distant light source.

"Stand your ground and stick together?" He shouted out while a horn like trumpeting sound came from the cloaked figure. You can make out other people deeper in the camp trying to stick together as they make for the light and group up back to back.

The sounds of whatever they were drew closer not sure how many but the half shapes could be made out drawing in, they could be surrounded and not even know it. Then one sprang forward black and blurred too fast to make out what it was, almost upon its target with a horrible growling sound.

Elsewhere

"So what's the plan?"
"Same as it's always been."

"So, where's this place now?"

"I told you the gouged grounds. And we'll be there when we're there."

She didn't say much after that.

Serragish wasn't sure how long they'd been walking then she turn around again. Looking back she saw the golden halo hanging over the camp. She didn't look for long trying to put it out of mind, hoping the others didn't notice.

And then the structure was before them, after god knows how long they had made it.
She had to sit down for a little, catch her breath and take it all in.

She craned her neck back to take it all in, a squat white brick tower cylindrical resting on the edge of the cliff. You could see what they'd meant about a broken bridge there was part of it sticking out over the abyss. But the edge was torn crumbling away and barely even made it further than most people could jump. Considering from here you could barely even see the other side of gulf, it didn't look like the solution she'd said it would be.

Even this late it was still hot though the dwarves and cat's fur kept them from the worst of it. Serragish was still fairly exposed and glowing but didn't seem that bothered by it.

If you made the mistake of looking down into the trench you'd not see the bottom whatever is down there was obscured by thick fog. There's no way to get into the tower from this level but there look to be a far few ledges and ridges.

"How well can you guys climb?"

Serragish made her way to try standing on a low lying out crop, but as soon as she tested it with her weight it snapped off and she fell back onto the sand. Certainly less than the few stories she'd need to climb to get up in there.

The trip was longer then she expected, but they made it.

"How well can you guys climb?" the female human asked before trying, and failing to make it more the a few feet up. She snickered a little then looked over the 'hand holds' open to her, after finding a few that seemed sturdy enough, she started to climb, slowly, due to potential crumbling grips, or making use of gaps between the bricks the other wouldn't be-able to thanks to her claws, but with a general ease one probably wouldn't expect from something as big as she was. By the time she reached the top, she was actually enjoying her self a little, then sat by the edge and dangled her tail down like a rope of sorts for those who where behind her and needed an extra boost.

"How well can you guys climb?" Serragish said, testing the ability to support their weight. Kes smirked; climbing was easy. She cracked her knuckles to loosen the joints of her hands, stretched her limbs and neck to further the effect, than backed away from the wall. She searched for a good hold until she spotted on that met her needs. From there, she bolted at the climbing surface, jumped as she drew near, and grabbed hold of her target. Using the excess force of her jump, she swung up further to a second hand hold, than began climbing up step by step without much difficulty.

"Can you fight?"
Dalrel coughed as an introduction, ''Of course we can, were you expecting cooks and messengers as reinforcements?'' he said, looking around reassuringly.
He knew everyone there could at least fight, but how he knew was best kept between what remained of the entourage.
In an attempt to create a rapport with the soldiers, Dalrel donned a smile and leaned near a wall. ''So, what's our plan, now that the suicidal ones have left?''
In truth, Dalrel hoped those in the desert will be alright. The reality was the group he found himself in were total strangers, and he doubted whether who remained could overpower these Liemians if need be.
Unsheathing his sword, and holding his left hand out to produce fire, he prepared for the worst, backing up and away from the growls.

"How well can you guys climb?"

"Bugger that..." Vaerys grumbled as he began to start climbing. The strength part wasn't the issue but it was traversing up that made him curse the gods for making him short. Many a times had he encountered a ledge just a little too high for him to reach up to. Luckily he encountered no such ledge as he shimmied his way up. Eventually he made his way higher and higher up the stony surface. The others made it there faster than he did on the account of their longer legs but towards the top, Vaerys lost his grip on one of the stone. On the corner of his eye he spotted a rope and he grabbed it or else he would have fallen off but the rope turned out to be from the animal-lady.

"Sorry!" Vaerys called out before reaching the top where the others were already gathered. "Any more climbing and somebody might have to toss me up instead."

"All of that is conjuncture, where is the proof? You might be the one possessed for all we know. Ha."

"Then by all means put both of us under guard, your true nature will reveal itself eventually," Alex replied, only for Des to speak up a moment later.

"How about we say that no one are possessed? That'd mean we don't have to think about this anymore."

"My duty it to the protection of others, regardless of what must be done to achieve that, and I am not alone in those that sacrifice their happiness for the good of others," he said calmly "And forgetting the issue will not free the man who is currently a prisoner in his own body, forced to watch as a spirit makes him abandon his home and gorge himself, if he's granted any consciousness at all under its control."

He would have said more but Serragish stated her intention to leave, and after a short argument with the commander she and several of the others did so. Des and the possessed man stayed though, so Alex stayed to keep an eye on them. Not long after they left the sun finished setting and it grew dark, save for the stars. Then something began attacking the camp, what Alex wasn't certain but they were fast and dark.

"Can you fight?"

In answer Alex drew his crossbow and fired in one fluid motion, the bolt slamming into one of the monsters leaping down on some prey. He couldn't be certain it would kill the beast or throw it off target but if nothing else it would hopefully draw its attention from its former target.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked