Rebecca Mayes Muses: Ghostbusters

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I went to your site and loved the Resident Evil video, and this one was better than the Sims 3. I think you're pretty talented, keep up the good work!

Didn't like this one either, good idea but I just don't dig it.

Very nice. You're clearly an excellent singer and songwriter for how well the music and words flowed. I concur on the comments about having less pouty Myspace shots, though - you don't need them.

that was a great song, very catchy. Keep it up!

Obviously a talented girl but I don't care for her music just not my style I guess good job though.

0:55 in, I couldn't take any more.

Internet Kraken:
I have to agree with this. I try to watch these videos, but I just find them to be boring and annoying. What exactly is the point of these videos?

Also, am I the only one that thinks she isn't that attractive?

Agreed on all accounts.

Every song thus far has about as much to do with the game as "Christian Metal" does with god; it all just sounds like the songs were made ahead of time, and then the lyrics were tacked on to be about a game.

This new feature has easily become my favorite offering by Escapist to date. Rebecca Mayes seamlessly merges my two favorite things, that being music and game meta. My thanks to Escapist (and Ms. Mayes!) for once again on breaking the barriers of what a next gen online gaming magazine has the potential to offer.

Ms. Mayes your soft tones and musical prowess (zithers are still rockin!) are top notch. You are quite frankly a match for Imogen Heap, another one girl band/home studio pop singer from the UK. To your continued success and more great musical offerings at Escapist!

SODAssault:
0:55 in, I couldn't take any more.

Internet Kraken:
I have to agree with this. I try to watch these videos, but I just find them to be boring and annoying. What exactly is the point of these videos?

Agreed on all accounts.

Every song thus far has about as much to do with the game as "Christian Metal" does with god; it all just sounds like the songs were made ahead of time, and then the lyrics were tacked on to be about a game.

thank god i aint alone!

i gotta say.
really not my taste in music.

Internet Kraken:

I can agree with you on your first line...

But I have to disagree with your last statement.

She has talent, but I can't seem to understand the point of the songs.

That (which some people took as a church) looked a lot like Yale University. I could be wrong though.

Okay, I'm wrong, this was produced in the UK. Obviously Yale was going for that style from what the UK already had for their european gothic archetecture.

I loved it. A download-able version would be nice though as well.

OH LAWKS Missus youse a preeety leetle thing ain't ya, why don't yez come back to me gamering room and I'll shows you my collection of lolcatz? *slurp* WELCOME TO THE ESCAPIST

it would be great to have the Sims and Ghostbusters songs on the audiogamer podcast or something (the RE5 one still isn't up...)

Wow beautiful music there its a lovely bright song and proves that you don't have to sing about lost girl friends/boy friends or any other repeated stuff to make a good song and that a good musician/singer can sing about anything even the ghost-busters and still make it as moving as a broken heart song.

PS: I nominate this for the best nerd song since white and nerdy

Am I the only one who finds it a little wierd how people are drooling over her as much as they are?
Oh right, this is the interwebs /facepalm

Meh, the sogs are okay, but I get annoyed when she randomly drops words for now apparent reason. Also, the lyrics don't fit quite right with the music >.>

I decided to listen again, just in case my speakers weren't working the first time around. I couldn't stand more than a minute or so of it. It draws parallels to the artistic styling of Bjork, or a retarded ostrich.

Edit: I should add that by putting a soft, agreeable face to terrible music is exactly how the Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, and a parade of other talentless hacks made it big.

Keep it comin Becca, you're a credit to video gaming community and I like what you're doin.

I honestly know how hard it is to write a song to a deadline, but I am still far from impressed.
Although I do envy your voice.
Tip: stop trying to fit as many instruments in as you can and just focus on making 2 or 3 AWESOME

tbhanson:
I honestly know how hard it is to write a song to a deadline, but I am still far from impressed.

It's very hard to determine how long it will take to write a song. Some songs have been written in 15 or even 5 minutes, other times it has taken over 8 years to write a good song. An artist called Johnathon Coulton managed to write one song a week for a whole year, but song writing can be a real pain, especially if you have deadlines involved.

As for the video, I don't mind the songs (not my preferred style but still...), but I find them boring most of all. I can't tell why they were written and as a result it does get a bit sickening. May have a couple more tries though, to see if this is actually better than I think.

I think I am in love!

Her voice is so soft and sweet and when mixed in with these lyrics, its like been taken back in time to when I was watching the old Ghostbuster movies and be awh struck at who wonderful they were(and still are)

May I say, thank you Escapist for bring this wonderful young lady on board and I hope to hear many more songs from you Ms. Mayes

(also, really nice video)

-M

I think my opinion on these can be stated in one word: Meh.

A definite improvement to the first, but it's still not something I would actually enjoy watching... Lets hope third time's the charm...

Dull dull dull.
I love girly folk ie. Lisa Hannigan, Laura Veirs, Laura Marling, but this is twee indistinguishable garbage.
Pretty girl + guitar + video game niche does not = quality.
It's ok guys, you can stop fooling yourselves now, she was never going to date you anyway.

Zombie_Fish:

tbhanson:

It's very hard to determine how long it will take to write a song. Some songs have been written in 15 or even 5 minutes, other times it has taken over 8 years to write a good song. An artist called Johnathon Coulton managed to write one song a week for a whole year, but song writing can be a real pain, especially if you have deadlines involved.

As for the video, I don't mind the songs (not my preferred style but still...), but I find them boring most of all. I can't tell why they were written and as a result it does get a bit sickening. May have a couple more tries though, to see if this is actually better than I think.

I agree with everything you've said and realised that I should have written -
'I honestly know how hard it is to write a song.'

I've been trying for about 6 years now.

It's good just not the same as well....The actual theme song.

Also if you don't kill Stay Puft your dooming the hugry.

The first song was haunting and catchy, I loved it and found myself watching it over and over again. This song was also very good. It was different though, very relaxing and soothing. I don't think I'll be repeatedly watching it though.

I think this sort of thing is excellent one off kind off thing. Not sure it has the staying power to become a regular event though, especially weekly.

I may be wrong however, and that would be excellent :)

Excellent. Keep up the good work.

Nice church.

Devon?

xmetatr0nx:
Shes like a video game singing version of Lisa Hannigan, boy shes cute...then again i have a weird thing for blondes.

Anyway, catchy song. Any girl that can play the banjo is awesome in my book.

...I totaly agree.

Still not adequate from what I've seen.

This type of thing isn't actually to my tastes so I don't know why I'm actually watching your videos.. I guess I'm trying to see if you're improving from one to the other.

As it is, I didn't see much improvement. Your formula probably works fairly well; pretty girl, singing to a gaming crowd about games. Yeah that'll get quite the popularity. It's certainly an interesting and original concept but it's just too simple and sorry, boring, concept.

I don't like your voice that much, but you can't do much about it, I would advice you to try and project it better though, I noticed that you swallow some words, and that's never good for a singer in the making. I'm not sure you even read the forums so this is pointless I guess. <_<

Hell, I'm not even sure you *want* to improve.
If I was you, with all the popularity, and the looks, and the people fooled by them, I wouldn't want to improve much, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt hehe.

Good luck on your next one, and again, sorry if I appeared to be blunt.

sirdanrhodes:
A definite improvement to the first, but it's still not something I would actually enjoy watching... Lets hope third time's the charm...

Seconded!

Internet Kraken:

I agree with you on all accounts, but no need to put it that way.
Sympathy goes a long way, even on the internets. =)

Nice and cute. I liked it better than the first. Voice is angelic, lyrics fit, balence of gameshots vs you-shots might be a bit over-balenced but i like it. Keep it up!

Shane Hamstra:

thecaptainof:
I like this and I have no idea why. Maybe because she's channeling the spirit of Imogen Heap. Who is alive but never mind that.

But, yes, lovely. Nice bit of Friday evening chillout.

Definitely channeling Imogen, I love her music, and as soon as I read your post the light bulb went off and ding! Great comparison :D

I felt a twinge of French production values by an english person in Ms Mayes stuff.
I looked away from my screen for the first listen, its like Norah Jones had been produced by Guy Sigsworth.

Thoroughly enjoyable stuff.

sneak_copter:
God, I bet she's freaked out by total strangers commenting on her looks.

Depends really, I like having my ego stroked so strangers telling me i'm handsome i'm into, but girls are a different species.

I... er... didn't like it. It was musically sound but I don't think the computer game theme is working. Not trying to make insinuations or anything, but two vids in I'm not sure this girl is much of a gamer at all. So much more could be done with games-related tunes...!

Damn it, I'm going to have to make my own to prove this point aren't I?

That outfit, and her face at the end of this song... Uhh...

So hot.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or