Edge or Edgy: The Clash of Two Game Makers - Update

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

asprinKing:

sending IS NOT publishing

Really? Its called semantics. I think you're reading a little too much into it. No need to get angry over mildly different phrasing.

It's not called semantics. Sending something to someone and publishing it are quite astonishingly different things.

Crikey, this embarrassing piece of 'journalism' not been taken down yet? For shame.

Timmy's linked to it from his site to boost credibility.

Congratulations on becoming this scumbag's shill.

You must all be so proud today.

Actually, turns out there IS no obligation to sue Mobigames. Do you see an attorney from Microsoft going to every window repair company with name "Windows" in it and suing them? No, because that would be fucking stupid. A copyright is meant to protect the IDEA, the word is only meant to represent the idea.

Confusing copyrights and trademarks doesn't really help matters, dude...

pantsoffdanceoff:
Actually, turns out there IS no obligation to sue Mobigames. Do you see an attorney from Microsoft going to every window repair company with name "Windows" in it and suing them? No, because that would be fucking stupid. A copyright is meant to protect the IDEA, the word is only meant to represent the idea.

M$ wouldn't sue window repair because it's a different trade altogher. Selling the same kind of product is a crucial factor here.

They would however sue you till you lose both your kidneys and send rapists over to your home, if you ever sold a piece of SOFTWARE called Microsoft or Windows or Vista, etc.

RevStu:
Confusing copyrights and trademarks doesn't really help matters, dude...

That's true, and unfortunately The Escapist is confusing them, too:

The truth is that bad behavior on both sides has turned what should have been a relatively straightforward copyright dispute into a nasty and very personal mess; unfortunately, the game media was just a little too enthusiastic in getting that ball rolling.

Ugh.

jimblackler:
Timmy's linked to it from his site to boost credibility.

Congratulations on becoming this scumbag's shill.

Did he really? Goddammit. THIS ARTICLE IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

RevStu:
It's not called semantics. Sending something to someone and publishing it are quite astonishingly different things.

In terms of say, a nation's constitution they are astonishingly different. In terms of a UN declaration they are astonishingly different. In terms of an offhand forum post, not so. You're getting your knickers in a twist over something so small as word that could be interpreted many ways?

And really, if the Escapist did not have legal permission from Mobigames to 'publish' (or 'send') the email, do you think they would risk litigation and entangling themselves in already highly tangled legal mess by doing so? Wouldn't you think if Mobigames hadn't given them permission to publish, someone representing them would have asked the Escapist to take it down?

"Wouldn't you think if Mobigames hadn't given them permission to publish, someone representing them would have asked the Escapist to take it down?"

Maybe they did.

Still, good to see that the initial stream of "The Escapist said it, so it MUST be true" has died down, replaced with a lot more of "They said WHAT?" and people even refusing to come back here, even for Zero Punctuation.

The fact the editors here refuse to make any amendments to the article, despite getting basic fundamental facts utterly wrong and knowing full well the article's stance is damaging to an indie dev is reprehensible. At one time, people used to compare Escapist with Edge; now, they'll just twin it with an entirely different-and not so admirable-Edge.

From Timmy's forum

"Further, from what we know, and from the quote above from the programmers in early 1986, coding of Bobby Bearing was started in 1983 (they talked about the game being 18 months into development a year ago, which puts development start back in '83). Thus while Bobby was not published before Marble Madness, coding of it was well advanced before Marble Madness was released."

Hey I hear the folks at Mobigame started working on their Edge game in 1979. That means they're in the clear!

Wow it really is a lot easier to play this game if you just make any old bollocks up!

Thanks for the pointers Tim Tim!

This isn't the first time Langdell's tried the 'Bobby Bearing is nothing to do with Marble Madness' angle, and I know David Papazian's in touch with the original authors of BB, and so it would be relatively easy to get their take on when the game was started and what they based it on. (Note that Langdell hasn't, however, addressed the issue of BB ownership, which most of his mark's trading status depends on.)

The most interesting thing here, though, is 'EDGE Admin' supposedly quoting from the original BB devs, stating Q*bert and Knight Lore were the inspiration for their game, not Marble Madness, and Langdell (sorry, 'Edge Admin') then saying: "Hopefully this puts to rest any rumors that Bobby was based on either Marble Madness or Spin Dizzy. It wasn't. In fact, Bobby and Spin Dizzy came out in the same year and were being developed in parallel."

OK, I'll go with that. Thing is, that destroys Langdell's argument regarding Edge. He states "In Bobby the core objectives are very similar to the Mobigame game," clearly showing that he's not played either game all that much, or is utterly deluded. Marble Madness is a time-attack racer using axonometric projection. Bobby Bearing is an arcade adventure with a ball, set with the same viewpoint as MM. Edge is a time-attack racer in true isometric projection. Mobigame's Edge, fundamentally, is similar to Marble Madness in cuboid form (although the controls are very different, and the gameplay is hugely affected by the fact it uses cubes rather than a ball on sloped landscapes), with the addition of switches. It is NOT free-roaming, and so Langdell has, at present, destroyed his own argument, although I'm sure he'll either see it differently or delete/edit his post accordingly. Also, the viewpoints are NOT the same, since Edge is the only game to use true isometric projection.

Ultimately, Edge is no more a rip-off of Bobby Bearing than Gran Turismo 4 is a rip-off of OutRun.

CraigGrannell:
"Wouldn't you think if Mobigames hadn't given them permission to publish, someone representing them would have asked the Escapist to take it down?"

Maybe they did.

Still, good to see that the initial stream of "The Escapist said it, so it MUST be true" has died down, replaced with a lot more of "They said WHAT?" and people even refusing to come back here, even for Zero Punctuation.

The fact the editors here refuse to make any amendments to the article, despite getting basic fundamental facts utterly wrong and knowing full well the article's stance is damaging to an indie dev is reprehensible. At one time, people used to compare Escapist with Edge; now, they'll just twin it with an entirely different-and not so admirable-Edge.

...All right? Have fun with that one.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say: The Escapist have some vendetta against Mobigames and are breaching an agreement with them by publishing an email they were told not to publish, because they're just pure evil? Because they hate everything Mobigames stands for? Because they want to crush indie developers?

And this then means people have stopped taking the Escapist seriously and no longer like Zero Punctuation, ergo the Escapist is as bad as Edge?

Am I off the mark? How far?

And does it really matter? Whether what the Escapist has reported is or isn't wrong, its not going to effect the eventual outcome of the ensuing legal battle, is it? I don't see how it offends you on such a personal level. We'll see what all unfolds as it unfolds, and we'll see who was wrong or right then. You getting inexplicably angry and ranting and raving won't affect it either, so feel free to make your point about how terrible the Escapist is, but really, chill out man.

Armitage Shanks:

CraigGrannell:

Maybe they did.

...All right? Have fun with that one.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say: The Escapist have some vendetta against Mobigames and are breaching an agreement with them by publishing an email they were told not to publish, because they're just pure evil? Because they hate everything Mobigames stands for? Because they want to crush indie developers?

And this then means people have stopped taking the Escapist seriously and no longer like Zero Punctuation, ergo the Escapist is as bad as Edge?

Am I off the mark? How far?

And does it really matter? Whether what the Escapist has reported is or isn't wrong, its not going to effect the eventual outcome of the ensuing legal battle, is it? I don't see how it offends you on such a personal level. We'll see what all unfolds as it unfolds, and we'll see who was wrong or right then. You getting inexplicably angry and ranting and raving won't affect it either, so feel free to make your point about how terrible the Escapist is, but really, chill out man.

I think maybe what he's trying to say is that if this is what happens when they try their hand at SERIOUS JOURNALISM, then maybe they should just stick to reviewing games in future. :)

Duncanm:

I think maybe what he's trying to say is that if this is what happens when they try their hand at SERIOUS JOURNALISM, then maybe they should just stick to reviewing games in future. :)

Ah, I see. Thank you.

Man it would have been easier if he'd come out and said that straight up.

EDIT:
I mean, I disagree, but I can see where he is coming from now.

Armitage Shanks:

You don't understand why people object to lazy, inaccurate reporting? Really?

Nobody is "inexplicably angry" here. The Escapist have published a substandard story which is damaging to Mobigames and ludicrously soft-pedals on Langdell's decades of allegedly questionable business practices. I'd suggest that you read Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-edge-of-reason) or TIGSource's coverage of the affair to get a better grasp of how poor The Escapist's take is.

By telling people to "chill out", you're simply sending a message to The Escapist that integrity comes a distant second to generating traffic.

Armitage Shanks:
And does it really matter? Whether what the Escapist has reported is or isn't wrong, its not going to effect the eventual outcome of the ensuing legal battle, is it?

I really hope those in charge at The Escapist don't take that kind of attitude.

Of course it matters - not only because this is a case so far only played out in the press, but because anyone covering the story (or any story in fact) should wish to do so in the best faith. If this article is shitty then the site is shitty. Websites live and die by their content.

Has anyone seen Edge's website? Janky shithole that is... Is their claim to fame really just a trademarked common word? Really?

Its like the dude pulled a George Lucas.. only he didn't create anything cool, epic, or legitimate to trademark.

Hmm..... I just have to come back to this article.
Remember when everyone on the Escapist said you incorrectly supported a douchebag?
Remember when the rest of the world agreed?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here