Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

My favourite game of all time. I've been it 6 times, and it delivers the experience every time. The many endings and other easter eggs are nice extras. :)

I believe it's a reference to one point in the game. Won't give anything away, but it takes place in a hospital elevator.

The skit on the end where Pyramid Head meets Companion Cube Head over a few glasses of cocktails (see what I did there?) and them toppling Semi-Sphere/Dome Head was just icing.

I unfortunately think Yahtzee is getting a little bit stale. I enjoyed this video, but I didn't laugh at all. I smirked at the Pyramid Head jokes and the fucking a dolphin.

captainwillies:

SnowCold:

Yathzee is't the funny when reviewing a game he likes.

wat? you best be joking. or did you really find his "Haze" and "Sim City Societies" reviews that much?

personally the way i see it, whenever he makes a review on something he's passionate about wether its a game, a webcomic or a game genre if he has a "deeper" connection to it thats when he shows his lustre.

thats why I wouldn't even mind it if he would make a video review of some movies he likes e.g. an "Army of Darkness" review would be awesome.

First if all, did I find them what?

Secondly, My english kinda sucks, so what is lustre?

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

Partyjerk:
I feel a bit disappointed with this review...
But hey - yes PSone had some nice graphics and the games atmosphere was good enough to s*ucker me in when i tried it the first time..
"Jaaaaammmesss" <- he likes him, probably

probably next review is something common with "wolfs" and "stones"

Silent HIll 2 isn't on the ps1, just ps2, pc and xbox

hehe i didnt check that... just heard what yahtzee said in this review ;)

SnowCold:

captainwillies:

SnowCold:

Yathzee is't the funny when reviewing a game he likes.

wat? you best be joking. or did you really find his "Haze" and "Sim City Societies" reviews that much?

personally the way i see it, whenever he makes a review on something he's passionate about wether its a game, a webcomic or a game genre if he has a "deeper" connection to it thats when he shows his lustre.

thats why I wouldn't even mind it if he would make a video review of some movies he likes e.g. an "Army of Darkness" review would be awesome.

First if all, did I find them what?

Secondly, My english kinda sucks, so what is lustre?

woops missed out funny did you find them funny was the question(because in my opinion they are his worst reviews). also lustre=luster luster: meaning shine.

Not the best review.....

But hay, this is always they "dry" season for the games
industry and i pissed myself as always.

hehe ..."like fucking a burning dophin!"

Fun review, just wish I had actually played any of the Silent Hill games

Good point Yahtzee, developers are looking way too far for new gameplay ideas. Eventually, do they have some idea's, but at the cost of fun. Which, like you say, FUN IS WHAT GAMES ARE BUILT ON IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Looking forward to your next review.

Partyjerk:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

Partyjerk:
I feel a bit disappointed with this review...
But hey - yes PSone had some nice graphics and the games atmosphere was good enough to s*ucker me in when i tried it the first time..
"Jaaaaammmesss" <- he likes him, probably

probably next review is something common with "wolfs" and "stones"

Silent HIll 2 isn't on the ps1, just ps2, pc and xbox

hehe i didnt check that... just heard what yahtzee said in this review ;)

haha, it was an honest mistake.

this one was a lame duck!!

Where can I buy this burning Dolphin you speak of? My Dolphin shop will not provide the fire!

"Ass made of leggo", "!@#%$&^ a burning dolphin" ?

Best yet, have my children.

Hmm, I bet the places you are talking about that your parents took you are Great Yarmouth and possibly Devon... I could see how both would make you clamber to Silent Hill for a relaxing experience. I have been to both and the only thing I could find to do was stomp on dinosaurs necks, in a video game of course... Dinosaurs havent existed for at least 4,000 years...

*SLAP!*

Thank you kindly.

I, on the other hand, found the delights of Raccoon City first and oh what a paradise it was by comparison. At least it was only the zombies & monsters trying to destroy my brain rather than the "fun" as well! :D

I guess his copy of Bio Shock 2 didn't get to him yet 'cause I was hoping to see a revie of a game that WASN'T EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!!

Maybe next week he'll do a review of Super Mario 1 or Duck Hunt.

fuddmillbyrne:
Where can I buy this burning Dolphin you speak of? My Dolphin shop will not provide the fire!

... You cant figure fire out for yourself? :D

misterprickly:
I guess his copy of Bio Shock 2 didn't get to him yet 'cause I was hoping to see a revie of a game that WASN'T EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!!

Bioshock 2?
(also Biochock is one word)
You want him to review games from the future?

misterprickly:

Maybe next week he'll do a review of Super Mario 1 or Duck Hunt.

Well then you should have told him before hand, he isnt a mind reader you know!

Also, he wouldnt have listened and everything would have turned out just the way it has... and whats wrong with doing a bit of back tracking with reviews? Its not like he was making reviews when Silent Hill 2 first came out, and it isnt like he is doing a review of Spacewar! either.

Silent Hill 2 XD So we'll get 2 or 3 normal new games reviews and then some old bad game like Turok instead of Painkiller (a goood game) XD

The sacene with batman looks cool but it's Silent Hill that should be lying dead, not killing people :P That's nerdy of me to point that out XD

Other thing I liked included the multiple ending, so only characters you gave three shits about survived.

So, essentially, if they turned Eraser Head into a video game, with the same disjointed, diluted and uncomfortable storyline, characters, and over-all ambiance, then it'd be the a damn good rival to Silent Hill 2.. (Of course you'd need more than a cackling, sick, deformed baby as a monster to make it a truly formidable rival.)

"He wouldn't be caught dead pressing X to not die"
So, he is a master of quick time events? Other then that, this was a surprise to see, and I did enjoy it, everything including the top finale.

If atmosphere is so important, maybe the Path would be a good game to try out.

I had a skills test today and when I saw the section on Trigonometry I shat myself. So for me, a man with trigonometry for a head is truly an ordeal.

Tsshhh, this was perhaps the most mediocre ZP ever. The only moment which made me smile was "There was a reviewer here, now he's gone".

Forutunately not as bad as Thief: TDP.

Now I'm definitely sure it's his voice. It just has too much enthusiasm and emotion in it nowadays.

I've never understood why Yahtzee loves Silent Hill 2 so much. It bored me to tears! But perhaps I didn't give it a fair chance as I had just come off playing Metal Gear 2 and Final Fantasy X. Then I put in Silent Hill 2 and what super cool weapons do they give me? A flashlight and a board with a nail in it. Nah, I'd rather play ratchet & clank and blow the $#&T out of everything in sight.

Critique of a classic game.
I'm liking this.Hope he does more old games soon.

Wondering when the mentioning would culimate in an actual review. Was expecting a bit more if I'm honest, particularly something about the locked doors... (The lock is broken, the lock is broken).

I wish i'd played Silent hill now, i want to see what it's about

I only played Homecoming (which I got 1000GS out of) but it got kind of...old after awhile but I did watch Cloud's walkthrough videos on youtube though, looked like a fun game

Play penumbra. You would love it.

It's kinda funny how his description of the town and the creatures inside such remind me less of my Silent Hill experiences and more Half Life 2. Hear me out
A majority of the time you are alone, the allies you find are generally faceless peons prone to death and the few actually human characters generally disappear within a few minutes.
I always jump back to the beach level as you are trying to break into the prison, besides the ant-lions and the Combine there are very few friendlies and non actually accompany you. Freeman is in a hostile environment with no interaction except to be shot at, attempts at eating him, and killing.

I'm confused why he even liked this game. He berates it for the terrible characters, the weak mechanics and camera work, the silly story, the dreaded voice acting, and yet loves it because -- it had the atmosphere of being alone? Of the characters being distant and inhuman?

I've played games like that before -- barely any people around, the people talk in flat, distant voices with no real facial animation. I always chaulked it up to a half-assed developer not taking the time to create a bunch of characters and create realistic facial animations (a la Oblivion).

The saying goes, "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day." The fact that the lifeless characters and empty world is somewhat appropriate for the game is lucky for Silent Hill, but I don't think we can congratulate them on making a good atmosphere. It really just means that their already-demonstrated lack of development happened to work out nicely for them in one aspect.

I found this bias. Most of the time, Dick face is ripping games in peaces but nnnoooo not this time. He just pats SH2 on the head. By the way I played this peace of crap called a game and after the first 3 hours I took it to a wood chiper and therw it in.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here