Rebecca Mayes Muses: Wolverine: Uncaged

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Cavouku:
I liked it. Give her some time, but music is all one's own opinion. If you don't like the genre than it's not fair to judge their skill on it. Even if you don't like their songs, you can't.

For example; I don't particularly like the Beatles, but I'll admit that they're awesome musicians.

Abedus, you seem to be in to make sure no one says they like this and gets away with it. What exactly is your goal? I can't be sure though. So you see some things you criticize in the video, and you make sure people get their facts straight about what she does. Or at least, what you think she does, but maybe you have more knowledge in musical instruments, programs and recordings and all that than most.

I like the video, I just did. The song was nice to me. There's not fact or reason behind my liking it, I just did.

If you don't like it, you should've figured it out two episodes ago.

EDIT: We get it, it's a bi-weekly series, if someone hasn't figured that out by now, is it worth your time to tell them? They should figure it out on their own, it's better for them. Stop killing our brains with your facts!

You put it more eloquently than me. Then again, I was on no coffee at the time! I don't get these people that come into forums and seem to make it a personal mission to make sure they're heard. There's this other guy that seems to troll every iPhone thread and replies to as many iFans as possible to try and tell them how much he hates them for being iPhone users. It's like their families were killed by Mayes and Steve Jobs, and they're seeking to undermine them or something.

It's pretty sad, actually.

WOOHOOO! great i realy liked it! :D

Nerdfury:

Rannos22:

Random argument man:
Better than your last video. I enjoyed it. Don't listen to the haters. They're just jealous of the fact they can't play banjo.

Personnal note for me* 2000 posts already? It feels like I've just sign in recently.

NEITHER CAN SHE! I've grown up watching people play (and occasionally, myself, playing) string instruments, the notes in the song are not the one's she's "playing". It sounds more like she's using some sorta music program. Maybe one of those that Apple is fond of making.

Only reason I watch these, despite the rhythm-less cacophony, is because it is ALMOST catchy and decent, but she uses WAY too many tracks at once. It sounds like she's trying to use as many looping instrument tracks as possible in order to impress everyone or something...

Oh, and she could learn a trick or two from Jonathan Coulton's comedic lyrics. As it stands she's a pretty face with a pretty voice with delusions of musical grandeur, and (if American Idol has taught me anything,) those are a dime a dozen.

That said, I look forward to her next attempt. This idea shows some promise and, if Ms. Mayes can get her artistic head out of her own arse, could eventually become a weekly feature as prominent as Zero Punctuation.

And to those saying how hard it is to get something done in a week, Loading-Ready-Run gets out a relatively decent, comedic short or two out in a week that is of a much greater quality ('cept this one, great editing with the comic panels!) than most of these videos. And they aren't getting paid for any of it!

Uh.. have you considered for a moment that she wasn't trying to play in time with the music? It's fairly common on music videos to show people playing instruments, and not always in time with their own music. Or even pretending to play in time with anything.

On topic, these videos are good. I love how people keep coming in to piss on Rebecca's parade by pretending they know more about music or saying that because they don't like the style, therefore she's untalented. Or even people like Abadeus who seem to have nothing better to do with life than troll internet forums to whinge about things. How many times has he posted in this thread now? It's like he has some kind of vendetta against Rebecca or something and absolutely has to make his opinion known.

I'd like to see them show anything better.

OH, THE IRONY!! Troll trolling about others trolling.

I don't have to show anything better. I'm the consumer, audience. I don't have to act better than an actor to say he's lame. I don't have to be a politician to know he's talking BS.

Your nickname suits you, mister Nardfurry.*

*- if you don't understand, read my nickname again, then how you wrote it.

It'd be nice if she'd introduce a different overall tone to her songs.
They're all so light and airy in feel and temperament.
Maybe she should listen to some 'Isis' or 'Cult of Luna' to see how to go from ethereal,haunting soundscapes to crushingly heavy,as an example.

Just sounds like it all needs some meat.

Otherwise I think she's a talented writer who I hope isn't put off by some of the cock-munchers posting negative hardly constructive critisism.

kozmo:
not only was the music excellent but this was a great video by it self.
Kind of short, but making it longer would have probably made it worse.

I hope to see more videos like this in the future

(i still think the first two were the best but in this video i enjoyed the music more then in any other of Rebecca's videos)

excellent work, keep it up!

Actually, after watching it a second time I realized that this video is actually better than the first two.

Again, excellent work, keep it up!

Break:

On the other hand, I do still wonder about the essential point. Does Wolverine's mutant healing extend to destroying the bacteria themselves, or does his power simply keep him from experiencing the symptoms?

Wolverines powers does not heal a dissease, only the damage done by it. Look at Deadpool - he is not cured by cancer, but his powers just repair the damages it does to him.
So Wolverine will have to rely on his gool ole' immunesystem to get rid of the disseases, while they won't really damage him.

It's an interesting idea, but it really doesn't seem to work out in the end. The music isn't that good, and there isn't enough visual or musical comedy to carry my attention through the length of it.

Strangely, I found it more enjoyable when I watched it while muted.

Parts of the chorus sounded much like the Bionic Comando song, and it was my favorite part of this song. I just think the last song was really great and this was somewhat a let-down.

carnkhan4:

JaneDoe:

Abedeus:
When will you change the way you make the chorus?

you're no
you're no
you're no

Spiderman.

sit down
sit down
sit down
on the couch

It can get repetitive after 4 songs.

Yeah, I enjoyed the irony after hearing 'you get quite repetitive' line, just as I was thinking about how the songs sound pretty similar :P

You spotted that too then?

I'd almost thought it was intentional, at first, perhaps a self-aware meta reference. But then I came to the sad realization that it wasn't.

Kuliani:

slipknot4:
This week!
Gaming music get's to an all-time low with even more repetitive new age crap.

It just keeps getting worse!

Lemme guess, if a metal band did it, you'd like it more...

Slipknot != Rebecca Mayes

You gotta appriciate someone who can slip some programming language into an argument (y)

Wow some of you sound like you've never heard music before. Really, take a chill pill and relax and read this if you have complaints on one or more of the following;

The chorus is repetitive:

First of all, it's a BRIDGE, or actually it's more of a pre-chorus/link!
If you're going to play music reviewer, get your facts straight.

And secondly, have you ever heard a chorus before? Try listening to another song or two by any other artist and you might actually hear that *gasp* the chorus lyrics repeat!

---

All the songs sound the same:

Usually, as musicians progress they start to develop their own sound. For instance, when you hear a Metallica or an AC/DC song, you know instantly that it's them. Because they have their own sound. However some might argue that even AC/DC's songs sound the same. Now some of you might yell BLASPHEMY! But look up "Hell's Bells" and "Back in Black" by AC/DC on youtube and listen to them one after the other. Are they really that different?

And as with all genres, people not familiar with certain genres usually tend to think that all music in the genre they're not familiar with, sounds the same. Like how some people think that all rap music or electronic music sounds the same.

---

It doesn't look like you're actually playing/singing in the video AND/OR poor production/mastering:

Because it's a music video, and a low budget one too. For those of you who don't know (and there seems to be quite a few people who doesn't) a music video is usually shot with the person/people miming and pretending to play, while listening to the track. A.k.a "Playback".

I'm guessing these videos and songs have a zero budget, which means she's using a home studio (instruments and mic hooked up to a mac in the living room) and recording on a webcam/dv cam.

---

You should make your songs sound more like [insert name here]:

Ok, and while you're at it, why don't you contact Jay-Z/Marilyn Manson/Britney Spears/Il Divo/Whatever other band/singer/group you're not really into, and ask them to sound more like a band you like better?

---

I don't like it / It's not funny / What does this have to do with reviewing games?:

Maybe it's just not your type of music. Maybe the jokes are too highbrow and the references too obscure for you. Maybe you just don't get it.
Whatever it might be; Why are you even here?
If you don't like it, fine. Some people do like it.

---

OMG she has TWO weeks to put this together and all we get is this crap?:

Perhaps, but instead of trolling on the forums, why not put all that negative energy to some good use and whip something better up yourself (in two weeks or less, of course)? Send it in to the escapist and who knows, maybe you'll get the chance to have your stuff hated on by all the other little trolls!

But I digress.. Some people don't like it, some people don't get it, some people just like to start flame wars. Whatever the reason, some people just need to get a life.

I do hope Ms Mayes does not read these comments. Irrespective of your opinion of her musings, she certainly does not deserve to witness the seething hate she is receiving from some dark, festering cranny of the internet.

I freely admit that a few of the criticisms levelled here are somewhat valid. The four musings hosted on The Escapist do share some musical elements, but if you would take the time to seek out some of Ms Mayes' other musical reviews you would find that not all of her songs are as repetitive as some of you claim.

I also hasten to point out the futility of calling for a replacement or a removal of this feature. Is is unfair, both to Ms Mayes and the fans she has accumulated here. Also, lest we forget, art is subjective. There will never be an artist who's work is universally praised, unless scientists manage to create a portal leading to an alternate dimension of myth and fantasy.

It is entirely possible that I'm defending Ms Maye's musings because I like them. Perhaps it is because she brings to mind Bon Iver and Sufjan Stevens, for me at least. Some people may think that her music is a cacophony of musical instruments, but I believe it has a certain orchestral quality to it. I also think that the few game-related points she makes in her reviews are fairly valid.

In the future, if you do intend to post a negative comment, not necessarily on this particular feature, at least be courteous enough to express your opinions a little more eloquently. It is the least anyone deserves, and it could prevent much grief.

slipknot4:

Susan Arendt:

If you don't enjoy it, why do you keep watching it?

Perhaps she will for no reason get some talent and make a good song?

Edit: Why does all the moderators reply on my muses posts?!

Why do we all need to keep repeating ourselves?

Music is a very personal experience. Some people will like the alternative things that Rebecca is producing here. And others will reject it.

I belong to that first category. You belong to the second. Easy as that.

Ebers:
I do hope Ms Mayes does not read these comments. Irrespective of your opinion of her musings, she certainly does not deserve to witness the seething hate she is receiving from some dark, festering cranny of the internet.

I freely admit that a few of the criticisms levelled here are somewhat valid. The four musings hosted on The Escapist do share some musical elements, but if you would take the time to seek out some of Ms Mayes' other musical reviews you would find that not all of her songs are as repetitive as some of you claim.

I also hasten to point out the futility of calling for a replacement or a removal of this feature. Is is unfair, both to Ms Mayes and the fans she has accumulated here. Also, lest we forget, art is subjective. There will never be an artist who's work is universally praised, unless scientists manage to create a portal leading to an alternate dimension of myth and fantasy.

It is entirely possible that I'm defending Ms Maye's musings because I like them. Perhaps it is because she brings to mind Bon Iver and Sufjan Stevens, for me at least. Some people may think that her music is a cacophony of musical instruments, but I believe it has a certain orchestral quality to it. I also think that the few game-related points she makes in her reviews are fairly valid.

In the future, if you do intend to post a negative comment, not necessarily on this particular feature, at least be courteous enough to express your opinions a little more eloquently. It is the least anyone deserves, and it could prevent much grief.

Even if she would read these, she'll see that not everyone dislikes her music.

Eh, sounds too much like the others.

Sparrow:

You sound too much like the others too..

DynamicDevil:

Sparrow:

You sound too much like the others too..

Thanks for that. Come back when your not blindly slating opinions please.

And again, a great song and a great video. Keep it up Rebecca, these are still pretty damn good :) I missed it when it first came out this fortnight but it was worth the (extra long) wait, so good work :)

PopcornAvenger:
First one I've watched, now I'll have to watch the rest. Enjoyed it.

Same here. :P Her voice is so peaceful.

God how can you people like this?

I've watched every video to see if I can find the same reason everyone likes it, but I've come to the conclusion thats just because she's a girl.

Mrsnugglesworth:
God how can you people like this?

I've watched every video to see if I can find the same reason everyone likes it, but I've come to the conclusion thats just because she's a girl.

1)It gets me in a good mood
2)It makes me relaxed
3)Some of the lyrics are amusing

I very much enjoyed the reviewsic. I think sound sound is original and refreshing. I can't believe some complained that she used claps in two of her songs, Imagine if someone had said man, led zepplin is pretty good but they use guitars in almost every song. I'm not a musician but I am an artist and yeah, some of my stuff is similar when done in a short time period, but a parents children often also look similar.

Another good one!

Break:
Song was pleasant to listen to, but it does sound a little similar to your other stuff. Enjoyed it, though, and I'm still somewhat impressed by all those instruments you're playing.

hamster mk 4:
This video braught an interesting question to my mind. How sanitary are wolverine's claws? When not in use they are floating arround in his fore arms no doubt exposed to what ever germs and bacteria are native to Wolverine's system. When in use he is usualy putting them through badguys or other not sterile objects. While wolverine's mutant healing will keep him safe from sickness and infection, would the rest of us be so keen on eating what ever he was stiring in the mixing bow?

This no longer a situation of "you don't know where that has been," we know where that has been and we don't want it comming anywhere near our food.

Interesting question, but probably a moot point. He only really used them to fight, so even if they are covered in germs, I don't think getting an infection is what you have to worry about.

On the other hand, I do still wonder about the essential point. Does Wolverine's mutant healing extend to destroying the bacteria themselves, or does his power simply keep him from experiencing the symptoms?

Well if his scars go away and everything, the dead tissue must not be around. Also, if he doesn't get sick then his immune system would just murder everything bad.

Just how I think of it.

Another good one!

Break:
Song was pleasant to listen to, but it does sound a little similar to your other stuff. Enjoyed it, though, and I'm still somewhat impressed by all those instruments you're playing.

hamster mk 4:
This video braught an interesting question to my mind. How sanitary are wolverine's claws? When not in use they are floating arround in his fore arms no doubt exposed to what ever germs and bacteria are native to Wolverine's system. When in use he is usualy putting them through badguys or other not sterile objects. While wolverine's mutant healing will keep him safe from sickness and infection, would the rest of us be so keen on eating what ever he was stiring in the mixing bow?

This no longer a situation of "you don't know where that has been," we know where that has been and we don't want it comming anywhere near our food.

Interesting question, but probably a moot point. He only really used them to fight, so even if they are covered in germs, I don't think getting an infection is what you have to worry about.

Well if his scars go away and everything, the dead tissue must not be around. Also, if he doesn't get sick then his immune system would just murder everything bad.

Just how I think of it.

Good job though.

sorry for the duplicate post.

i loik this girl.
she is one of those few ones who look good even without all that makeup.

I like it! To be fair she gets 2 days to write out a song, not much time compared to the months other people get, would be nice if people didn't stick the knife in at every chance they can get, not naming any names ofcourse...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here