Escape to the Movies: 9

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Having seen the movie, I did agree with much of the review: Really cool setting/background but incredibly dull characters/story, making an overall incredibly average film.

I also agree with your thing against Anime diehards. As much as I enjoy Anime (meaning I've watched a fair amount of series, keep up with some mangas and like to MST the really corny ones to myself) I also like to think that I appreciate Western Animation just as much. For those who say that Anime is inherently mature, just because a series has females hit with The Jiggles and Sudden Clothing Loss Effect does not make it "Mature". Western Comics are hardly all about characters in spandex prancing around and defeating losers with no motives to their action (The Joker is an example of how you can make such a character terrifyingly evil).

Overall, I like your reviews though your hatred for Transformers may not need to be mentioned in every other video.

Really disappointed with this movie, i had high hopes for it but nooo it went all to hell.

Beowulf was an abysmal romp through mediocre acting and hideous effects, with the eye straining only comparing to the pathetic narrative.

"Watchu talkin' bout Bob?"

Abedeus:

MovieBob:

Shadow_Kid:
NO MORE HEROES WAS AWSOME I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY

I agree. "NMH" will probably be remembered as one of the defining games of this console generation.

It will be remembered as a Wii-defining game.

People without Wii couldn't care less about an action game where they force you to collect stuff for idiots, then a quick fight and start all over again. Like Assassin's Creed, but you must buy a Wii just to play it.

Other than someone calling you an assassin, NMH has NOTHING to do with Assassin's Creed.
Assassin's Creed encourages you to slit throats from the shadows while NMH encourages you Ashley Williams on there ass.

TIMESWORDSMAN:

Abedeus:

MovieBob:

Shadow_Kid:
NO MORE HEROES WAS AWSOME I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY

I agree. "NMH" will probably be remembered as one of the defining games of this console generation.

It will be remembered as a Wii-defining game.

People without Wii couldn't care less about an action game where they force you to collect stuff for idiots, then a quick fight and start all over again. Like Assassin's Creed, but you must buy a Wii just to play it.

Other than someone calling you an assassin, NMH has NOTHING to do with Assassin's Creed.
Assassin's Creed encourages you to slit throats from the shadows while NMH encourages you Ashley Williams on there ass.

Yeah, and how often does that work with targets from 5 to 9? The end of the game (especially with King Richard Lionheart scene...) is nothing BUT fighting dozens of soldiers. And few of the target either know they are being targeted or are more clever and try to escape/disguise themselves.

Denmarkian:

I was honestly let down by Titan A.E. I mean, it was directed by Don-Fucking-Bluth, had beautiful artistic design, almost seamless integration of cel- and computer-animation. Yet, once you watch the movie a second time, the story makes you go "Bwuh?"

I mean, Scientist creates genetic database of all loving things on earth, "evil" alien energy-beings attack and destroy earth for no clear reason, boy finds genetic database and discovers that the only way to power it is to consume the entire species of energy-beings.

Bwuh?

There has to be something that happened before the Cale was born where there was some sort of animosity between the humans and the Drej because Cale's father had to have planned to power the Titan with the Drej while building it. It would make sense, then that the Drej would want to destroy Earth, home to the species that is actively trying to wipe them out. But this is never developed, nor understood by the audience until after the Titan is activated, creating Planet Bob (which, by the way, is the best part of the movie)

Nah, I found it okay entertaining, it gave a sense of humans kind of being nomads, and underdogs, which I found interesting, and I'm a sucker for science fiction. But your right, it could definitely be better, no question about it, when I saw it, I didn't have any real idea about the director, or much experience with real masterpiece quality animated movies, so part of it could be nostalgia.

the world is at lest nice

I saw this movie right when it came out. The setting and design is so original...and the story just isn't. And I think having these high hopes for it is what never let it get past "mediocre" on my scale.

That and some of the walk cycles near the beginning bugged me a bit.

THANK YOU FOR BASHING ON WEABOOS!! Weaboos are the cancer of the world.. THEY MUST BE DESTROYED!! Same goes for the wanna be american japs.. There just as bad.. In some cases even worse.. My point is if you truly want to get to know a culture dig deeper than just the surface and dont act like you know how or what the culture is like until you have done your research.. And please for the love of god stop using jap words in the middle of a english sentance.. IE. (Such a kawaee hat you have awww-desu) OMGGGGGGGGGGG Even just typing that makes me want to punch the shit out of myself..

Nightwatch and Daywatch?
Seriously?
Bob, how could you?

Great review, of course.

it looks pretty awesome, though I couldn't get a chance to see it. That's another movie I missed out on, courtesy of cranberry movies.

So let me get this right

9: brilliantly crafted visual effects + great action sequences + predictable narrative = not so great

but

Avatar: brilliantly crafted visual effects + great action sequences + predictable narrative = make a mess in my pants awesome?

is that the message i'm supposed to be getting here?

boooooo

well to me the sack people represent human emotion 1 is the religious side 2 is the scientific side 3-4 are the part of humans that wants to find out things 5 is the cowardly side 6 it side of insomnia and paranoia 7 is the fighter mindset 8 is the protector and 9 is the part of people that never gives up but the ending its a tad confusing and sad but at the same time happy.

to me 9 is a in itself a big morale which says quite a lot of important life lessons but that just my opinion about 9 but i still love the movie

There aren't many movies I simply can't finish, but this was one of them.
I was so bored, and the cinematics didn't blend well. I didn't feel sucked into the world, I felt like I was watching it one step before complete and wonderful visual completion.

It's horrible to say, but the reason I watched this was because of the Coheed song in the trailers.

I hated this movie. It's like this...

The big conflict of the movie is there is this evil soulless machine that sucks
out the souls of these little sack robots and apparently destroyed the world at some point.
Now, it's established that why this machine is bad is because scientists made it without a soul.
From this explanation I'm expecting the end of the film to be that when the machine finishes
sucking out all the sack robots souls, which are different aspects of the soul of the scientist
that created them, it will realize the horrible things that it has done, because now it has
one "complete" soul, and the final shot will show it build another little sackrobot or
something else cute and loveable. That's not what happens. The few remaining sack bots
just kill the big evil one and the movie ends with a magical soul rain that makes plants
grow and the souls of the dead ones fly into the sky. Basically, the movie is about how
magic is good and wholesome and science is a dangerous evil thing that will destroy the
world, and it really didn't resonate with me at all.

omegawyrm:
I hated this movie. It's like this...

The big conflict of the movie is there is this evil soulless machine that sucks
out the souls of these little sack robots and apparently destroyed the world at some point.
Now, it's established that why this machine is bad is because scientists made it without a soul.
From this explanation I'm expecting the end of the film to be that when the machine finishes
sucking out all the sack robots souls, which are different aspects of the soul of the scientist
that created them, it will realize the horrible things that it has done, because now it has
one "complete" soul, and the final shot will show it build another little sackrobot or
something else cute and loveable. That's not what happens. The few remaining sack bots
just kill the big evil one and the movie ends with a magical soul rain that makes plants
grow and the souls of the dead ones fly into the sky. Basically, the movie is about how
magic is good and wholesome and science is a dangerous evil thing that will destroy the
world, and it really didn't resonate with me at all.

Whow, you literally read my mind. I was thinking the same thing and that would of made the movie far better, which of course a huge twist and Aced the audiences joy of seeing the movie. I hate to say this, but as much as I was looking forward to 9, they let me down a lot with their story line. That, and the movie was very short too *sigh*

Since it came out in 2009, I could safely say that the sense and purpose of this movie - Was always to read a manual. I felt dimwitted because as you stated, I thought that the giant machine would become good and establish a better world with dedication, work, and making a loving new character. No, it's just a mindless machine and dies, then the end is that life spreads and splashes these "green cells" onto the screen that means Life will grow all over again. Just to clarify, and that I appreciate your honesty with this astounding ending which should of happened.

Besides from that, I am an Anime fan.. not a major one that brags or overdoes it.. but I like reading Manga and to express how I feel about an Anime. I admit, some of it is "too" Anime because of how they act, how people try to act like them, and all this stuff. I feel people should be into it mainly for it's Art (as I am) and meaning. Some like it cause of the chicks, others for the violence.. and whatever else. Western Anime is cool, and that I always look forward to.

Does anyone ever get the experience that movies or books or games would be great if they weren't related to their base. 9 was also a short film, before it was ever a move. AND IT WAS GREAT. but the full length movie version, well wasn't as good. It had all the skill behind it. but the story couldn't stretch that far. Maybe thats why the movie was just kind of forgettable.

Something that pisses me off about otakus is how ass backwards they are. The people who rant about the superiority of Japanese animation get confused when i mention classics like Black Jack or the bizarrely entertaining slice-of-life animes aimed at total recluses like Welcome to the NHK, they praise shit like Naruto and Bleach. Bleach is only average at best, and Naruto was fucking retarded BEFORE it was mercilessly drawn out into some 300 episodes.

Here, let me put it this way, if you encounter an otaku who has never heard of Dragon Ball Z but not Berserk, you're dealing with the animation equivalent of a Halo nerd.

On Topic: "It Looks Nice" doesn't really do it for me anymore. As good as 9 looks, i think i'll keep avoiding it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here