Scribblenauts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

RexoftheFord:
I thought it went, "If you argue with a troll, he'll get angry and eat you anyway."

That could be it but im not sure. =)

I figure that any game that can make you bored of Cthulu must be shit and deserves all of the scorn coming its way.

Also, unless its a mod, user content is shit.

You're not stupid, that's why you are offended by a sarcastic critic for being called "stupid". The delicious irony... You're so fucking overreacting.

Yahtzee:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha. Ha.

No.

Do I get a cookie for being the only one who appears to have got a possible in-joke reference?

I don't see anyone else commenting about how they played 5 Days a Stranger and tried to use the wooden idol, thus getting this blast to the past of Yahtzee's production history. :S

Eatspeeple:

esperandote:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
The world is full of idiots. Forgive me for the redundancy of that statement, because if you're reading this you must be on the internet, and are well aware that you could enter communication with an idiot within two clicks of the mouse. Or even faster if you have a mirror on hand. Yes, you see, I'm saying you're an idiot, too. I felt I should make that clearer because you're an idiot.

I dont know who are the biggest idiots, you or us. You because you're calling idiots those who come a watch your videos or read your articles and therefore pay your salary or we because we keep coming back after being called idiots, well i know i won't anymore.

You're not any better than anyone, i dont see you writing, painting or sculpting a masterpiece your just a piece in the system you trashtalk so much. Your just a guy that get payed for playing games and writing and drawing jokes about them but insulting your watchers as crossed the line for me. I can see that the greatness sense has reach you.

Can i just mention- i dont see you writing, painting, or sculpting a masterpiece. have you ever seen his website? He has done these things. Then the phrase we pay his salary. I hate that phrase. we dont. The Escapist does, the advertisers pay them out of their own pocket. We are nowhere in the loop. Have you ever payed anything directly to watch ZP? Even if we did pay his salary, that doesn't give us the right to dictate his actions or output.

So advertisers don't care how many people see their ads.

Mantonio:
Well, someone's very bitter today, aren't they?

"Yes, you see, I'm saying you're an idiot, too. I felt I should make that clearer because you're an idiot."

At least I don't own a stupid hat.

Are you seriously taking that personally? He doesn't know who you are, it's just a joke.

Anyway, the instant I read the creativity comment on the video's thread, I knew he'd have to quote it

Eatspeeple:

Can i just mention- i dont see you writing, painting, or sculpting a masterpiece. have you ever seen his website? He has done these things. Then the phrase we pay his salary. I hate that phrase. we dont. The Escapist does, the advertisers pay them out of their own pocket. We are nowhere in the loop. Have you ever payed anything directly to watch ZP? Even if we did pay his salary, that doesn't give us the right to dictate his actions or output.

I didn't know about his website but still he's living out of this too (or only)

I haven't paid directly to him but if we didn't keep coming back to the site the advertisers wouldn't be interested to pay the escapist.

Right that doesn't give us the right to dictate his actions but he doesn't have the privilege to insult us and and expect we are ok with it either.

Actually we might have the right to dictate his actions by leting the escapist know we took insult in the latest Yahtzee article and that we want an apology.

How is it the song goes? "Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people"? There's great truth in that.

Another turn on it is that it's trying to make the art of game design accessible to everyone with a minimum of training, disregarding that people to a one are stupid. (And yes, Yahtzee and I are both included in that coverage.) It's simply a matter of trying to give everyone an even shake, when the world really isn't designed that way.

Now, here's the thing. Yahtzee will not review Halo 3: ODST because its the SAME FREAKIN GAME AS HALO 3. Oh, no. Sorry. It has a bit more multiplayer and some single player junk that nobody cares about.

Also, you payed full price for this. WHY?!

For the first time, I think I seriously disagree with Yahtzee, with his final comment (the one before the ODST question). He's basically stating that a game will only be good if it's by a professional games developer...but many professional games developers make stupid, stupid games that are made of suck. And there are many indie games that are really, really good...Such as Yahtzee's own games. I think this also contradicts previous points he has made in videos.

While reading this I was licking my desk. I dropped a chip covered in sauce, and the desk tastes of said sauce.

khmmm... Gleeeeeeeee! I'm an idiat XD

I quote a book I once read (forget name):

"Your only stupid if you think your not".

As far as I'm concern, everyone has a certain amount of stupidity. We know the world is over populated, yet still have more kids then we can handle. And its the old salesman line of thinking, "if I can guess what makes you tick, I can sell you anything even nothing". I've brought games I'm not proud of and games I'm happy I did. Strickly speaking if I want creativty on a DS, I'll open up flipnote or whatever that new free doodling program is you can get off of Nintendo's store. If I want a game, I want a game. Games that try and merge the two prospects seem to fail.

And yeah, if you buy a game like scribblenauts, you contribute to its return, thus encouraging the game makers to make a scribblenauts 2 or something simulair. And I hate to say it if a game relies on users creating their own levels, then thats pretty lazy on the producers part. Why make hundreds of levels when you can make a handful of that and let everyone else do your work for you. ^_-

yahtzee i agree entirley on the subject as usual you are right your also right on not reviewing halo odst keep up the good work

HardRockSamurai:
Alright, I'm sensing a lot of negative energy in this thread!

Indeed, much better. :D

OT: Whatever. His opinion, our opinion, others' opinion, etc. Relax guys, don't take the "idiot" comment too seriously.

I keep getting the feeling that Scribblenauts should be a really good Internet Flash game rather than an actual proper game game. I could see myself getting addicted to it at 3am when I have to get through University assignments but really it's a gimmick to try a couple of times and then to forget.

poiumty:
If by "locked-in-your-ways-idiot" you mean "stubborn", then yes. Yahtzee has certain tastes that some may like and some may not, and he sticks to them. For example, he searches for fun in the actual mechanics of the game and cares less about cutscenes and story. However, that doesn't mean he's closed-minded. He may very well be, but he can easily be bad at other types of games, or simply not like them. He's also a batman fanboi as clearly shown in his Arkham Asylum review, but i don't expect him to be the impartial god of gaming judgement, so human flaws are more than acceptable here.
Second, i read the article and never got the part where he said that exploiting the idiots was a bad thing. I got the idea that he thought it was the smart thing to do.

Anyway, wrapping this up before i conjure another page.

Fun is subjective and being stubborn is another way of saying "self-denial", last time I checked.
Besides that, I just think he really goes on too much with his hatred of humanity, this mass-media fueled psychosis where humanity is a huge field full of sheep with a few cunning wolves in it.

Hating humanity seems to be the "in thing" for "intelligent people" to do or at least, that's what it seems like.

This still feels more like a too-stingy list of minor complaints. I mean it's a game where you can get Cthulu to fight God, and I would pay $40 just to see that. Of course the developers don't have your imagination, their not you, they have to do the best they can to fit in as many words as possible seeing as the millions that will play the game will each most likely use tons of different words.

And I can kind of see the reasoning behind not doing an ODST review, it's just not worth it really.

theultimateend:

Geo Da Sponge:

RedBaron19:

Moccamonster:
Great article, as always, but I'm actually surprised you laughed at someone requesting a review for ODST.

That's because HALO ODST is the Porsche 911 of video games. It just a copy of HALO 3 w/ a diff. box. I mean, it even comes with the HALO 3 multiplayer. They should have called it HALO 3: Revisited.

Sure, if he had actually reviewed the multiplayer then that might be a good point. He just seemed to decide that since he already knew the game wasn't perfect (fair enough) he had no reason to explore the rest of the game.

911? So there is a Porsche built for terrorists now?

Ahhh, and look it's on a collision course w/ your house......

on a less sarcastic note - http://www.bing.com/search?q=Porsche+911&form=OSDSRC

I was wanting try scribblenauts, i may rent it but meh, Anyway i've called an idiot by countless people, the internet, 5 year-old Xbox live dickheads cause i exploded the gas station in no mercy campaign in left 4 dead.

well techniclly if you want to talk to an idiot on the internet and just pick up a mirror you would first have to talk to yourself. That's not idiotic they just don't have any friends.
=]

MikeyTWolf:

Yahtzee:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha. Ha.

No.

Do I get a cookie for being the only one who appears to have got a possible in-joke reference?

Dang it, now I'm annoyed, as I'm sure I have seen that somewhere now. Where was it from?

Eatspeeple:

esperandote:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
The world is full of idiots. Forgive me for the redundancy of that statement, because if you're reading this you must be on the internet, and are well aware that you could enter communication with an idiot within two clicks of the mouse. Or even faster if you have a mirror on hand. Yes, you see, I'm saying you're an idiot, too. I felt I should make that clearer because you're an idiot.

I dont know who are the biggest idiots, you or us. You because you're calling idiots those who come a watch your videos or read your articles and therefore pay your salary or we because we keep coming back after being called idiots, well i know i won't anymore.

You're not any better than anyone, i dont see you writing, painting or sculpting a masterpiece your just a piece in the system you trashtalk so much. Your just a guy that get payed for playing games and writing and drawing jokes about them but insulting your watchers as crossed the line for me. I can see that the greatness sense has reach you.

So your saying viewing figures have no impact on the salary of a TV show's host!?!?!

Eatspeeple:

Even if we did pay his salary, that doesn't give us the right to dictate his actions or output.

I'm sorry but if I pay a plumber to fix my sink I am damn sure gonna expect a fixed sink

And in fairness his site isn't really the Mona Lisa of the internet even he has no faith

Yahtzee Croshaw:

I WOULD EVEN CALL MY CURRENT STUFF SHIT

From fullyrambiotic.com

The only games with "make your own levels" that have worked out are on the PC; RTS, FPS and of course mods for single player affairs. The beauty part with these is that they're to get more out of a good game where as the mentioned game types in this article are more build the game yourself.

In the case of Scribblenauts, it's better approached as a basic puzzle game, not some sort of massive idea machine it was painted as.

BTW commenting more and more on the "idiot" remark isn't really challenging the notion. However since it's hard measure everyone's intelligence on casual comments, I'd say being a prick is the better assumption, because we all are... but that's another topic...

zeldakong64:

Mantonio:
Well, someone's very bitter today, aren't they?

"Yes, you see, I'm saying you're an idiot, too. I felt I should make that clearer because you're an idiot."

At least I don't own a stupid hat.

Are you seriously taking that personally? He doesn't know who you are, it's just a joke.

Anyway, the instant I read the creativity comment on the video's thread, I knew he'd have to quote it

It's clear that a tone of playful banter is hard to convey over the internet.

No, I wasn't taking it personally, you total buffoon.

(I seriously hope you don't take that insult personally!)

"There are good user-designed levels to be found in Little Big Planet, it's just that they're difficult to distinguish from the dross that surrounds them."

In other words, it's a microcosm of the larger game industry.

I was waiting all weekend for this article

activity for ...idiots? i don't get it (i play the game)

jk nice one yahtzee

Nice article, especially the mongoloid boot phrase.
All I'd say that is a sandbox world doesn't have to be all nice, safe and PC, e.g. Morrowind. The "You can go anywhere, but expect to die. A lot." sandbox's work best, almost like a slap by the devs for stepping off the path they have made.

I find it hilarious how many people take the opinion of a repeatedly self-admitted cynical egomaniac seriously and to heart enough to respond in a sharp way, you can practically hear the hurt cracking in their shrill voices as they choke down the thick salty taste of tears.

He's an entertainer on the internet people, stop rutting and growling like a Silver-Back Gorilla challenging the current Alpha-Male.

What the hell happened to the original thread? Just curious.

Ok Yahtzee, I can see your point regarding sandbox games; however how are these games supposed to stay fun and interesting? It's really not a sandbox game if you're being led by the hand through a ridged linear story. And the sandbox games allow players the feel like they can do more then move a character from point 'a' to point 'b'.

EDIT: P.S. I completely agree with you about user-made content.

awwww... and was hoping that you (yahtzee) would review Halo... i kinda wanted to see the 4th installment get ripped on for being a stupid and unnesscary installment so that microsoft could cash in on it's drooling twitchy fans who will buy anything with Halo stamped on it.

I wonder if Yahtzee gets the idea of sandbox? I mean it is actually possible to create your own fun, even if doing so requires patience and ignorance. The "failure" of Little Big Planet is trolls.

User made content (mods) are generally high quality in Oblivion though, because it takes a fair bit of effort to get one started.

I think user-made (or selected) content allows the player to do more of what they like. Plus in a sense it makes games more like art that the player can interact with. Just look at crayon physics.

You guys think Yahtzee is offensive with his audience? Any of you ever went to an Andrew Dice Clay show? Not for the faint of heart. Point is most of you come here every Wednesday to see his reviews and thus all of you know exactly what he's all about (and know what to expect, even the unexpected). Toughen up fellas, the world is HARSH... life is harsh, save your anger for when you really need it, for when it's worth it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here