Scribblenauts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I said it before, I'll say it again, I liked the game. It is very simple, but that doesn't mean it's for idiots. I think the combat is fine, I like the Start Menu and all you can do in it, I like the whole thing. Sure, there's horrible combat, and simple and repeated solutions for multiple puzzles, but I still found it challenging at times and fun at others. I'd rather be an idiot having what they think to be fun than someone smart and picky who can never find anything they think is fun.

Zombie Nixon:
I never got why everyone is so convinced that the world is full of idiots.(Go ahead, tell me it's because I'm an idiot, it'll be very clever)

I think people are just bitter. We have mapped the genome, figured out laws of physics, created amazing technology and advanced into a well flowing society (western cultures anyways). Yes, the human race sure is stupid and a lost cause.

And yet with all the people who will get pissed off because of this article I bet they all flock back each week to watch another review.

But can you please do an odst review if for no other reason a good laugh and to see all the fan boys rage. It doesn't even have to be a full review because it's not even a full game.

calling someone an idiot is not really a bad thing, i love my best friend but he is the biggest idiot on the planet because his favourate thing in the world is anime....but HE doesnt think he is an idiot

and vice versa, my favourate game is diablo but he cant see why i love that so much, so he thinks i am an idiot, i dont give a monkeys

It all boils down to this: Your opinion, is yours...and ppl are going to disagree with it, and intrinsically, you are going to think they are idiots because you have your own logic that has convinced yourself that you are right

and of course, your never going to have a situation where two ppl think 100% alike, so everybody but yourself is an idiot

the difference is when somebody relfects on others opinions with an open mind and arguments constructively, that is when somebody crosses the line of idiot to......misinformed?

sunpop:
And yet with all the people who will get pissed off because of this article I bet they all flock back each week to watch another review.

But can you please do an odst review if for no other reason a good laugh and to see all the fan boys rage. It doesn't even have to be a full review because it's not even a full game.

Probably will go back and watch, only because there's nothing good on T.V. at 9am on Wednesday. Just Regis and Kelly, and that's no alternative. But if you seriously let Yahtzee determine what video games you do and don't buy then you might as well line up for a lobotomy with all the other people who can't think for themselves.

And if you really want his opinion on Halo: ODST, then go watch his Halo 3 review. A review of ODST would probably be 95% similar.

I thought ODST was halo chroicales after the team working on it gave up, and went home...which explains the rather sad length, and the fact that bungie said they wouldn't have charged full price.

Then along comes microsoft -_-

OT: Less insulting, more making sense. Seriously, it's hard to take someone seriously if they keep muttering idiot to you whilst making their point

mattag08:
*Fanboy whine*
"But Yahtzee, Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, and Adam Baldwin do the voiceovers for the main characters!"

If you don't understand why the Halo franchise has been piss poor from the beginning then you won't understand why he's not reviewing it. It's just too easy, espcially for Yahtzee...

You forgot Tricia Helfer, and no, I don't understand how it's been awful from the beginning, why don't you explain it?

sneak_copter:

ScaredCougar:
Whut? My brain couldn't register what the point of this forum is. *Quiet fool! Say something clever and i'll release some endorphins!* Okay brain. The balance of eqations in chemistry is how many groups of atoms need to create the required amount to complete the end result of the formulae

Come on dude, that's 9-Year-Old Chemistry.

Oh look. It seems I have stumbled across one of the few forms of life that cannot understand humour and sarcasm. I was saying something basic on purpose! Its a Simpsons quote for kobooblah's sake! Sheesh "dude"

Well Yahtzee, you may think we are all idiots, but you may be seen as an idiot by us or someone else as well. And if you think that you're the only non-idiot then you're worse than an idiot don't you think? Also the fact that you couldn't give a mature and reasonable response to not reviewing Halo 3 ODST just makes you an even bigger egotistical troll.

Interesting article, but taking away choice in the name of pacing, in the most extreme sense, would be something like a rail-shooter or a bizzare rhythm game made entrely of quick-time events. I'm under the impression that that's the stuff "real gamers" look down upon.

The thing is, there has to be a balance. The player has to be given some choice (even though the Scribblenauts-esque, Etch-a-Sketch extreme is no better.) Good designers are the ones who can nail that balance.

And I'm surprised you knew of Game Maker (though your tone indicated you don't approve, but then again you use that tone all the time so I can never tell.) It's a pretty flexible program once you delve into it and it would have been my platform of choice for the Stonking Great contest since I can't wrap my head around ActionScript for the life of me, but moot point now.

Re: sandbox games, Morrowind suggested (but didn't execute ideally) a good solution to this problem. Have the main quest be slightly obscured for a time, and encourage the character to acquire "seasoning" before they are allowed to find out the real poop-storm is coming; then make the poop-storm so compelling that they don't want to take time off. Then let them play after the MQ ends.

And no other medium relies on interactivity for its thrills and chills like games do. I'd assume a genius like Yahtzee would get this, unless, of course, he doesn't believe it--in which case he's wrong.

If you don't read these in Yahtzee's voice, you're not getting the full experience.

As a bonus I like to play the Zero Punctuation theme in my head after the last word.

The_root_of_all_evil:
But doesn't this mean Yahtzee, that you're an idiot as well? (Given that you've already condemned your own game making [which I rather liked, although that saltbag was a bit of a cop-out])

As such, ironically, wouldn't Scribblenauts be perfect for you, if you could blend LBP's level's design and Scribblenaut's creativity. Almost like Gamemaker 7 and a word processor blended in.

Less like a game, more like a tool.

That's when you break out 3ds Max or a similar program and start making a different game.

Very very very good article.

And the final comment about ODST....awesome.

I think creativity is this whole casual trend really.

Disclaimer: I was unable to read the entire article. My opinion is based on the last few ZP's and EP's as well as the first few paragraphs of the current one.

Now then, to business. As I have been saying more and more often of late, Yahtzee is using the escapist as a vent for his bitterness. He vents about idiocy, going as far as mocking his own demographic, does a poor job of what he is supposed to be doing, and even worse, it is getting worse by the week.

I used to love ZP, it was full of wit and the occasional uncalled for jokes here and there. It was fun, informative, useful, and was great. Now ever since around the latest E3 edition of ZP, the quality of the videos has plummeted. There is now nearly no real wit in the reviews, absolutely no useful advice on whether to purchase a game or its qualities/faults, and just a general sense of negativity and pessimism. And now with EP, these faults have skyrocketed. Yahtzee now has been using this article to vent at his loss of ability to have fun with games, to make even more idiotic unorigional penis jokes, and conveys just a general feeling of hate towards developers.

In that regard, I would like to see Yahtzee create a game like Red Faction or Wolfenstien, or anything even close to them. Now you will be saying "but wait a second, he doesn't have that kind of money or manpower!" And to that I respond, "At one point, neither did they." They went out, made damn good games that got attention and respect, and with it, a bigger budget. They worked their way up, to be able to hire as many as they do and use such large budgets. Yahtzee has made nothing in this regard, sure he has made games, however, none have ever caught any publishers' attention, or even other developers' attention. Possibly its time for Yahtzee to do so, and actually work on something that he puts his heart into, and makes some money to invest in another slightly larger project. Maybe its time for him to realise that he needs to understand how a large scale game project actually runs and what they do to keep afloat. Maybe for once he can actually be empathetic with the developers on why their game came out the way it did, and maybe spend some time pointing out what came right, like he used to.

I can go on and on, however anything past this point would only be restating the obvious and flaming. I will end on the same note I always do, and that is: I used to hit refresh every minute of Wednesday to see the new ZP, now I cringe and hope that maybe this one will be like the old ones. I now outright shudder when I see EP, thinking of what poor sop he is trolling this time. Bring back the old ZP, lose the EP, and get your mind out of the sewer. The internet doesn't care about your problems or opinions on humanity. We come to you for witty reviews and a few good laughs. Until then, you will keep losing more and more people to your trolling, and eventually you will be left with nothing but those that you despise most: fanboys and idiots.

Bring back the old ZP

If people want to play real sandbox games, with a variety of character choices that allow them to reflect on a character that they wish to be with no completely linear storyline-

tell them to get a fucking pen, paper, and go play some DND. And if they want no linear story at all, well they can kick the DM out of the game, and collect acorns and feed them to squirrels.

P&P games are a hell of alot of fun, because they allow you to do anything. Assuming it isn't some fucked up fetish crap that one of your friends secretly gets off to.

PodX140:
Disclaimer: I was unable to read the entire article. My opinion is based on the last few ZP's and EP's as well as the first few paragraphs of the current one.

Now then, to business. As I have been saying more and more often of late, Yahtzee is using the escapist as a vent for his bitterness. He vents about idiocy, going as far as mocking his own demographic, does a poor job of what he is supposed to be doing, and even worse, it is getting worse by the week.

I used to love ZP, it was full of wit and the occasional uncalled for jokes here and there. It was fun, informative, useful, and was great. Now ever since around the latest E3 edition of ZP, the quality of the videos has plummeted. There is now nearly no real wit in the reviews, absolutely no useful advice on whether to purchase a game or its qualities/faults, and just a general sense of negativity and pessimism. And now with EP, these faults have skyrocketed. Yahtzee now has been using this article to vent at his loss of ability to have fun with games, to make even more idiotic unorigional penis jokes, and conveys just a general feeling of hate towards developers.

In that regard, I would like to see Yahtzee create a game like Red Faction or Wolfenstien, or anything even close to them. Now you will be saying "but wait a second, he doesn't have that kind of money or manpower!" And to that I respond, "At one point, neither did they." They went out, made damn good games that got attention and respect, and with it, a bigger budget. They worked their way up, to be able to hire as many as they do and use such large budgets. Yahtzee has made nothing in this regard, sure he has made games, however, none have ever caught any publishers' attention, or even other developers' attention. Possibly its time for Yahtzee to do so, and actually work on something that he puts his heart into, and makes some money to invest in another slightly larger project. Maybe its time for him to realise that he needs to understand how a large scale game project actually runs and what they do to keep afloat. Maybe for once he can actually be empathetic with the developers on why their game came out the way it did, and maybe spend some time pointing out what came right, like he used to.

I can go on and on, however anything past this point would only be restating the obvious and flaming. I will end on the same note I always do, and that is: I used to hit refresh every minute of Wednesday to see the new ZP, now I cringe and hope that maybe this one will be like the old ones. I now outright shudder when I see EP, thinking of what poor sop he is trolling this time. Bring back the old ZP, lose the EP, and get your mind out of the sewer. The internet doesn't care about your problems or opinions on humanity. We come to you for witty reviews and a few good laughs. Until then, you will keep losing more and more people to your trolling, and eventually you will be left with nothing but those that you despise most: fanboys and idiots.

Bring back the old ZP

maybe he has "evolved"? maybe into a direction you donīt like but thats how things work.
look at starwars, Indy or any famous rock band-sooner or later most of the "good stuff" we all loved is lost and our former heroes become parodies of themselves :(

I am fairly amazed at this.

Personally my theory is people who take offence to being called an 'idiot' by someone they've never met are really just upset because of a niggling doubt that there might be some truth in it, even if there isn't, and subsequently post long winded replies to cover up such things. I know I've done it. But that's not really where the amazement comes from, forums are for discussion if nothing else and you can't have a discussion if everybody feels the same way about something.

Why am I amazed? Because he's already done this before! *looks it up* The 2nd Annual E3 Hype Massacre is the video's title. He calls everybody in the world shit, even displaying the 'equation' PEOPLE = SHIT. And no one has mentioned it yet! It's almost totally recycled for the Scribblenaughts Extra Punctuation, Though he does take time to pointedly call himself shit in video.

Now I think about it, the fact that you didn't get your knickers in a twist over being called worthless on all levels instead of just having your IQ questioned brings further weight to the my first paragraph...or it just points out you can't really tell the way someone's saying things when it's written without 'says sarcastically' or what not.

MeX

PS - As I'm new here, let me clarify my views on Yahtzee to avoid being bashed as a fanboy. I enjoy his reviews very much even though they do waver in quality a fair amount and I fairly often disagree with him - I have no issue with JRPGs, Retro games or Fighting Games in fact I enjoy all three a great deal. I enjoyed my time with Soul Calibur 4 and the original Siren, as well as the bosses in Arkham Asylum (which kind of rhymes) but I enjoy his reviewing style and appreciate people can differ in opinions and still be fecking funny (Richard Pryor comes to mind as an example) and his use of British colloquialisms which I find there to be a great deficit of on the 'net. I still think he could do with a slap 'round the back of the head from time to time.

Edzor:

Disaster Button:

Snowalker:
But wait, Dear Yathzee, by making these videos and articles, does that not make you an idiot too? Your assuming that people are interested in your thoughts aswell, just like the idiots you mentioned.

He could always counter you with "I do it for the money."

So, that would mean that Yahtzee is being an idiot for the money?

Kind of like how a whore is a whore for the money, right?

But let's face it, we all love whores, and Yahtzee, just not in the same way XD

Well, someone did beat you to all 3 points but you're still right. Something makes me tihnk Yahtzee would be proud to be called a whore though.

dwitefry:
I am fairly amazed at this.

Personally my theory is people who take offence to being called an 'idiot' by someone they've never met are really just upset because of a niggling doubt that there might be some truth in it, even if there isn't, and subsequently post long winded replies to cover up such things. I know I've done it. But that's not really where the amazement comes from, forums are for discussion if nothing else and you can't have a discussion if everybody feels the same way about something.

Why am I amazed? Because he's already done this before! *looks it up* The 2nd Annual E3 Hype Massacre is the video's title. He calls everybody in the world shit, even displaying the 'equation' PEOPLE = SHIT. And no one has mentioned it yet! It's almost totally recycled for the Scribblenaughts Extra Punctuation, Though he does take time to pointedly call himself shit in video.

it's because that part of that video seemed totally hyperbolic-- on the surface of it you can't call people much worse, and also what you said, he included himself, he didn't this time-- but really for my thoughts on it you can just read my last post in this thread

Dark Templar:

Deshara:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha. Ha.

No.

That's exactly what I said when I read what the changes were in ODST, or rather, the lack of changes between Halo 3 and ODST.

Did you actually play it?

Allot changed. I hated halo 3 but ODST is fun.

I'm surprised Yathzee hasn't mentioned ODST as it brings back the idea of health bars, something he has asked for in a number of videos.

Has Yahtzee done anything since, I dunno, ZP video 6 that has not had someone saying "This is getting old, you used to be awesome, now you suck, blah blah blah."? Just cause, you know, those are really important opinions that need to be shared.

All I can say is "Choose Your Own Adventure" book series would be an apt example of the scribblenauts/sandbox game style.

When you read your first one, they are limited fun, but fun.

By about the third, they cease to be fun because the character no longer has a consistent definition. I wonder if this is what is happening here.

PodX140:

Bring back the old ZP

TL:DR

going to look at pictures of cats

Yahtzee Croshaw:

...non-linear stories don't and will never exist no matter what anyone tells you...

Wrong.

It is indeed theoretically possible and desirable to have emergent contextual procedurally-generated narratives that are thematically coherent and are goal-directed towards a cathartic closure that elucidates the emotional journey and character growth undertaken by your avatar.

Simple, really...

;-)

General Vagueness:

it's because that part of that video seemed totally hyperbolic-- on the surface of it you can't call people much worse, and also what you said, he included himself, he didn't this time-- but really for my thoughts on it you can just read my last post in this thread

dwitefry:

or it just points out you can't really tell the way someone's saying things when it's written without 'says sarcastically' or what not.

See I already acknolwedged that :) cool them heels.

MeX

Mantonio:
Well, someone's very bitter today, aren't they?

"Yes, you see, I'm saying you're an idiot, too. I felt I should make that clearer because you're an idiot."

At least I don't own a stupid hat.

Feel free to burn yahzee all you want, but if you ever make fun of a Trilby again I will hunt you down, remove your scalp, and hot glue one to your skull

*pant pant* don't make fun of Trilbies!

PodX140:

Bring back the old ZP

Allow me to translate for those who TL;DR'd:

Yahtzee made fun of a game I liked/said something that struck a little too close to home. He is now bad. The End.

"Remember when /b was good?" "/b was never good".

People, you're defending yourselves against a man who reviews games, has a gimmick that revolves around (as he mentions in his "Wet" review) confusing swearing with wit and called you the equivalent of a 4 year olds worst swear word.

I agree with him, people are idiots. A lot of people think I'm an idiot. Commenting in this thread to defend yourself makes you an idiot. Commenting in this thread to point out that people are being idiots by defending themselves for being called idiots instead of just letting it drop makes me an idiot.

The furor generated by someone with slightly more e-fame than forum trolls insulting you in a completely indirect fashion really does make me laugh though. Mr Croshaw is certainly the master of trolling. And I'll keep reading and watching, because of that and many other things!

Moccamonster:
Great article, as always, but I'm actually surprised you laughed at someone requesting a review for ODST.

I mean, it's pretty well established you don't enjoy the series(to say the least...), so having another game in said series will not only allow you to rant at the line of games in general, but also review the fact that people are still willing to buy a 3-hour game at full price, which would somewhat fit the theme of 'idiots ruin the market for everyone else', since this gives of a message that what gamers really want are short and boring campaigns at full price as long as there is a new mode in the game or something.

EDIT: and the point you made about gaming being the only medium where open world-elements are prevelant: Yeah, that's because gaming is a distinct medium. You can't apply gaming industry-logic to other media. That'd be like asking for an expansion pack for Clockwork Orange.

He's probably not reviewing ODST for the same reason he never reviewed Gears 2, Resistance 2 and the other sequels around christmas time.

Same shit, different pile.

HappyDD:
Has Yahtzee done anything since, I dunno, ZP video 6 that has not had someone saying "This is getting old, you used to be awesome, now you suck, blah blah blah."? Just cause, you know, those are really important opinions that need to be shared.

Basically, the reality of the situation is that many of Yahtzee's fans are bigger fucking complainers than he is. They just don't know it.

atomicmrpelly:
Halo! I have only ever played the original Halo, I got it for PC and it was, as Yahtzee said, meh! It was an FPS... about aliens and stuff. It didn't look great, the gameplay was hardly groundbreaking and the atmostphere and plot all seemed pretty tongue in cheek.

But recently I saw a clip of Halo 3 on YouTube and I was amazed. Absolutely amazed.

I could not believe that the second sequel to a game could be so successful, without changing a single thing! Same weapons, same graphics, same physics (like flailing arms while falling then suddenly landing in the exact same position every time), same gameplay and I know Halo 2 had the same plot so I woudln't be too surprised...

Halo 2 has a completely different plot.

Akalabeth:

Moccamonster:
Great article, as always, but I'm actually surprised you laughed at someone requesting a review for ODST.

I mean, it's pretty well established you don't enjoy the series(to say the least...), so having another game in said series will not only allow you to rant at the line of games in general, but also review the fact that people are still willing to buy a 3-hour game at full price, which would somewhat fit the theme of 'idiots ruin the market for everyone else', since this gives of a message that what gamers really want are short and boring campaigns at full price as long as there is a new mode in the game or something.

EDIT: and the point you made about gaming being the only medium where open world-elements are prevelant: Yeah, that's because gaming is a distinct medium. You can't apply gaming industry-logic to other media. That'd be like asking for an expansion pack for Clockwork Orange.

He's probably not reviewing ODST for the same reason he never reviewed Gears 2, Resistance 2 and the other sequels around christmas time.

Same shit, different pile.

But he did review Gears of War 2 and said it wasn't that bad.

Halo 2 has a different plot?

I heard it was along the lines of "Oh crap, another space ring. Well blowing up the ship's reactor thingy worked out well last time so why don't we do that again?" I even heard it had an end scene along the lines of "Oh look, a bunch more space rings, what are the chances!?"

You lost me at the part (on extra punctuation) where you link social incompetency to mental retardation; maybe it's another reference to British culture, idiom, things would be nearly impossible to understand for those whom wasn't native English speaker. Which is why I would also like to add some comment about you, Yahtzee Croshaw's technique in game review: to tell the truth, I would agree with you on most part, in fact (once again) for the most part those comment is probably what I would have said about those games if I were in your shoe. But I do however have to complain about your use of idioms and some other culturally based content, because that will forbid foreign viewers from understanding your review, and that would be a terrible lost to the world (well, maybe a considerable lost to say the least).

For arbitrary reason, I would also like to add that if we met under a different circumstances, we might get along just fine. Oh well, no point crying over spilled milk.

I really do enjoy the "extra punctuation", it's a great insight to Yahtzee's true manner and thoughts.

Thanks for the read Mr Croshaw.

-Joe

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook