MovieBob's Best Of 2009

Pages PREV 1 2 3

MovieBob:
Okay, might as well do this at least ONCE...

"Drag Me to Hell"

I saw this movie based on your recommendation in a Korean theater and lost my shit several times at the camp. Funnier was that I was the only one laughing; the humor didn't translate well leaving me to embarrass myself with belly laughs while the other patrons recoiled in horror (either at me or the movie, I don't know.)

That's when I started watching your videos in earnest. Thanks for a great year Bob, here's to another year on this great site of ours.

Watchmen? FUCKING WATCHMEN?

AM I THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS SITE WHO HATED THAT MOVIE?

And no, I didn't read the book, but I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO TO ENJOY THE GOD DAMN MOVIE!!!

Lord! I sometimes feel like I'm the only one on this site who know's what a good movie is!

OK, OK. Calm down Austin... Calm down...

OK..... I'm OK now..... I'm OK.

dududf:
Damn right Watchmen got the #1.

They got EVERY scene from the comic, with exception to how Rorsach got his mask, and they changed the ending for the better (more logical in the long run)

Heck no they didn't get "EVERY" scene, or at least maybe they didn't in the theatrical version (which is the one I saw) - and the ending isn't as logical either because in reality everyone would blame...oh yeah, spoilers

The Austin:

[RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGE]

You just wanted an excuse to use the H1 tag didn't you?

ElArabDeMagnifico:
snip

Well actually...

The Austin:

And no, I didn't read the book, but I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO TO ENJOY THE GOD DAMN MOVIE!!!

Yeah, no, you weren't.

I didn't hate it in all caps AND in bigger print AND in red, but I did hate it.

Strangely enough, I hated it because I had read the book, or so it seemed to me at the time.

I strarted objecting to Snyder's "panel by panel" adaptation technique about ten minutes into the movie and it never wore off. It was like re-reading the novel, so the panels from the book were popping in my head in real time as the movie went on. This caused several effects:

1) An uncanny valley-like feeling where anything looking or sounding slightly different from how I had imagined these things felt terribly out of place. Everything. From the texture in Dr. Manhattan's skin to the character voices to the timing of the conversations to the background music. If something was off not from the book, but from how my imagination had filled the gaps between the panels and the things that comics leave for you to decide just felt ugly. This is probably why some people love it and others hate it. It may have to do with how close Snyder's take on those things matches your own.

2) A definite feeling that the pacing was not quite right. This is a novel put on the screen with very little structural work done to it. I don't think this is the same thing as 1, I think this is an objective thing that can be contrasted with other, better movies that are adaptations of other stories. Watchment is a serialized novel with clear cut episodes, it drags on and encourages slow, repeated viewing of several scenes, it defers lots of exposition to ancillary texts and lots of thematic elements to an ongoing side story missing from the movie... without using narrative techniques to compensate for all that, and they didn't in the movie, it feels... limp.

3) I got impatient at the end. It was a factor of 1) kicking me out of the movie and breaking suspension of disbelief and 2) making me tap my foot long before the movie was over... well, and of a big gulp interacting with Hitchcock's law on movie length (movie length should be proportional to the size of the human bladder, if you didn't know that). At any rate, I couldn't wait for the movie to be over. Not quite the feeling you want people to have during your protracted multiple ending sequences. Again, not enough adaptation work done here.

So yeah, I hated it. I thought it was terrible or, at least, bad. And bad movies are not my number one movie of the year. Bob, however, has his own list, so good for him. I still like his reviews, whether I agree with them or not (I couldn't disagree more with him on Star Trek, either, and not for the reasons he points out preemptively, but that's a subject for a different thread).

Oh, and an EDIT, if you don't mind:

About the whole "Watchmen ending" controversy, meet me after the spoiler tag:

theultimateend:

LiquidGrape:
Watchmen was about as profound as soiling yourself while reading George Orwell.
You know there's something substantial at work right in front of you, but you're too busy coping with the shit smeared on top of it to really notice.

So you read books while hanging bare assed over them?

Otherwise your little metaphor there certainly breaks down mechanically.

"Smeared on top of it" might have been an unnecessary addition, I confess.
But don't pretend like you didn't get my drift.
It was a shamble of a film with no discernable trace of competent direction.

I'm glad you started of by saying it's a mix of what you thought were the best movies and what movies were perceived as being the best. I would definitely have add Drag Me To Hell as an "He's ba-ack!" milestone, rank Inglourious Basterds and move Watchmen off first place because it really wasn't that epic a movie.

Noelveiga:

The Austin:

Yeah, no, you weren't.

I didn't hate it in all caps AND in bigger print AND in red, but I did hate it.

Strangely enough, I hated it because I had read the book, or so it seemed to me at the time.

I strarted objecting to Snyder's "panel by panel" adaptation technique about ten minutes into the movie and it never wore off. It was like re-reading the novel, so the panels from the book were popping in my head in real time as the movie went on. This caused several effects:

Wait? What do you mean panel to panel? Was his book ACTUALLY a comic?

And the reason I threw in the caps and the red font was simply shock really. It's a special kind of feeling, the feeling of knowing everyone is against you. And especially considering I pretty much idolize Movie Bob, I am just feeling frustration that even HE loved the movie.

ElArabDeMagnifico:

The Austin:

[RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGE]

You just wanted an excuse to use the H1 tag didn't you?

No, this is an excuse to use the H1 tag

The Austin:

Er... yes, it is a comic. 12 issue series, best known as a graphic novel release, widely regarded as one of the best graphic novels ever?

Anyway, I do recommend it, even if you didn't like the movie, although it may very well have ruined it for you.

Noelveiga:

The Austin:

Er... yes, it is a comic. 12 issue series, best known as a graphic novel release, widely regarded as one of the best graphic novels ever?

Anyway, I do recommend it, even if you didn't like the movie, although it may very well have ruined it for you.

..... Wait... What? The book was a comic book?

Thats pretty cool I guess. Yea. If its a comic I should check it out.

Edit: Wait. Does it have blue penis? I don't need any more blue penis.

the watchmen, really? that movie blows harder than a saigon whore on 50% fridays. lots of bad movies made that list, inglorious basterds shouldnt be there either, bad movie. i tihnk no one is willing to say how bad it is because it would make them sound like nazi sympathizers, but it sucked.

I wouldn't have really out Inglourious Basterds in at #4, I mean it was good but there were other good films out this this year. . . wasn't there?

-M

I'd disagree with Watchmen, my personal choice would be District 9.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here