There Will Be Brawl: Episode 10

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

"For those who didn't get the "old friend" at the ending, it was more and likely Masahiro Sakurai, who was not only the main director of the Super Smash Bros. series of games, including Brawl, but the creator of Kirby as well.

At least, that's what makes sense, since Kirby's at Nintendo, and it isn't Miyamoto since his head was apparently a Kirby snack, and the person that created him would certainly be "an old friend"."

Well I figured he ate Sakurai and was going after Miyamoto. I know he at least got rid of sakurai because otherwise why would someone be credited as "Sakurai's DEAD legs"?

On an added note, I failed to realize the difference of relies and quotes, and since I can't replace this post I might as well edit it. Quoting Fail

Wayward Sean:
This is to those who complain about the lack of storytelling. The plot made every bit of sense. I know it hurts your pride to hear this, but you either weren't paying attention to detail, or you aren't capable of understanding subtlety. Sorry, I know you're mad, but it was all there regardless of how you feel. Inference is a very powerful tool.

Kirby made sense, he was a mastermind. Ness and Lucas are deranged psychic children trained by Mewtwo from the orphanage. Originally they were unleashed to appease Olimar's 'demons', or the proletariat of the Mushroom Kingdom (G&W is an allegory for the original residents being forced into labor positions). When Ness and Lucas continued the killing spree, Ganondorf lost control, but everything was working toward Kirby's plan (he knew they would get out of control). Kirby wants chaos, that is what his legacy will hold, and if he could cause chaos from behind bars, that just makes him happier. And that cliffhanger ending does not mean a sequel is necessary and it is excellent storytelling! It is a device used to tell you that the Mario Bros' job is never over, and that "to secure peace is to prepare for war."

This man speaks the truth. ive loved this series ever since i seen the first one. best online series ive ever seen. dvd release plz

I had to turn the lights on

I really enjoyed seeing Fox, I think his accent and costume design made him very likable IMO. I too was completly shocked to find out that Nes and Lucas were the killers. I had theorized that Zelda was in bed with Gannon and using the Ice climbers to do the killings, but I had completly forgot about the kids after the very short cameo they got in one of the earlier episodes. Oh, and stuffed Peach looked fucking scary, she needed to be in Silent Hill or something.

what else can I say that hasnt been said, TWBB was a truly amazing show thanks to the actors, writers and had amazing prouction values, this was an outstanding end to an oustanding series, and wouls love a DVD realease, the ending kinda freaked me out, but like the whole show, was very clever

Really, the creators should've killed their darling here. As has been stated in the interview:

Who came up with setting the Mushroom Kingdom in a film noir story?

This really began when Zach brought up in a conversation just how screwed up Kirby is as a character, when you get down to it. He eats people, then wears their skin. This lead us into a comparison with Silence of the Lambs, and we just kept building on to this twisted, dark, adult world of Nintendo. A few hours later, we stopped and decided "Why the hell not? Let's actually make this!"

The story up until now had grown way beyond that simple comparison. To keep it as the core of the story just doesn't feel right at all.

What I mean is that the story, to me at least, was all about the heroes (Luigi & Mario & friends) versus the dons, with the butcher as a means for the dons' goals. That as the central conflict. But in the end, it were the dons that were the butcher's means. The grand-scale the plot was working towards totally disconnected with the small-scale butcher it was revealed to be all about.

The kirby gimmick should've been a side plot.

Other than that, awesome show and I can't wait until the DVD release! =)

(I also think a Young Link (Toon Link) ending would've been awesome. The dying link putting the master sword back in the pedestal, travelling back in time and as Young Link in the past wanting to stop Kirby from ever starting)

I'm blown away. Blown!

Glad Samus survived. Need on DVD!

MatthewMercer:
Episode 10

Welcome to a world of dark humor starring the classic game characters you thought you knew and loved. In the series finale, the brawl to end it all.

Watch Video

T-Shirts?
For sale?
on line?

Simalacrum:
I..I... the ending.... WHAT?!

Is this really the end??? Can't leave it on a footnote like that!!!

You've never seen Silence of the Lambs I take it.

Redem:
The girl pokemon trainer should have used charizard

No way, jigglypuff is the only character in brawl that has a 1 hit kill.

I thought an awesome scene they could have added at the end would have been:

-------------

As the brothers carry their personal belongings to the orphanage.

Mario: This place sure is scary looking for an orphanage.

Luigi: Yea, thats a'right bro.

Samus walks up to the Brothers with an eager look on her face.

Samus: So did you hear the news Luigi?

Luigi: No Samus, whats'a that?

Samus: The chief of police and the council are re-naming this place in your honor, from now on it will be called... "Luigi's Mansion"!

Luigi: .....hey, Mario, did you remember to grab my vacuum from the apartment?...

-------------

I thought that would have been a hilarious ending scene, you know, just for like one more laugh before we got the final scare.

That WOULD be quite amazing...

While I really liked the series for the first few episodes, the storytelling got kind of hit/miss towards the end. In fact, I don't know how this is possible but the filmmakers somehow managed to make the big "reveal" totally predictable and yet at the same time totally out of the blue. I guess it was because I knew Kirby was going to be behind it all, yet the series didn't do a good enough job of establishing the possibility of Ness/Lucas being the killers.

Anyway, here's my basic critique of it all:

Loved:
-Noir setting, overall creepy tone
-Characterizations, though there were a few too many "criminal mastermind" archetypes (by the time we got to Ganondorf I couldn't help rolling my eyes)
-Most of the acting, esp Luigi and Wario.
-The pacing of the first few eps.
-Kirby in the first few eps.

Didn't like:
-The number of false reveals. I just felt like the plot wasn't really going anywhere in the second half
-The fact that Kirby was behind it all. Even though I liked his character I would've preferred it be a side plot.
-Borrowing a bit too much from Silence of the Lambs. Once again, it was funny in the beginning, but after a while I started wanting references to different movies (a Usual Suspects ending would've been amazing IMO) or I would've liked to see the story branch out on its own.

Wayward Sean:
This is to those who complain about the lack of storytelling. The plot made every bit of sense. I know it hurts your pride to hear this, but you either weren't paying attention to detail, or you aren't capable of understanding subtlety. Sorry, I know you're mad, but it was all there regardless of how you feel. Inference is a very powerful tool.

Kirby made sense, he was a mastermind. Ness and Lucas are deranged psychic children trained by Mewtwo from the orphanage. Originally they were unleashed to appease Olimar's 'demons', or the proletariat of the Mushroom Kingdom (G&W is an allegory for the original residents being forced into labor positions). When Ness and Lucas continued the killing spree, Ganondorf lost control, but everything was working toward Kirby's plan (he knew they would get out of control). Kirby wants chaos, that is what his legacy will hold, and if he could cause chaos from behind bars, that just makes him happier. And that cliffhanger ending does not mean a sequel is necessary and it is excellent storytelling! It is a device used to tell you that the Mario Bros' job is never over, and that "to secure peace is to prepare for war."

I think when people complain about the lack of storytelling they aren't complaining about TWBB "not making sense" so much as the resolution not having any impact. Yes, the whole Kirby/Ness/etc. is understandable on a basic plot level, but the filmmakers didn't do a very good job explaining why we should care about any of it. Subtlety is a double-edged sword after all. When used correctly it can be really powerful, but screw it up and all it does is distance the audience from the struggle. I think that's pretty much what happened here.

staticnumeric:
Eh. I didn't think there was a lack of storytelling, but that the storytelling itself was mediocre and overdone, with the plot being pure drivel. It was ridiculous, trying to extract drama from a source that had none. I'm just glad this is over so that I don't have to hear anything more about this.

I wholeheartedly applaud the creators' effort and dedication that they have so clearly put into this, but I can't help but criticize the end product.

tobyornottoby:
Really, the creators should've killed their darling here. As has been stated in the interview:

Who came up with setting the Mushroom Kingdom in a film noir story?

This really began when Zach brought up in a conversation just how screwed up Kirby is as a character, when you get down to it. He eats people, then wears their skin. This lead us into a comparison with Silence of the Lambs, and we just kept building on to this twisted, dark, adult world of Nintendo. A few hours later, we stopped and decided "Why the hell not? Let's actually make this!"

The story up until now had grown way beyond that simple comparison. To keep it as the core of the story just doesn't feel right at all.

What I mean is that the story, to me at least, was all about the heroes (Luigi & Mario & friends) versus the dons, with the butcher as a means for the dons' goals. That as the central conflict. But in the end, it were the dons that were the butcher's means. The grand-scale the plot was working towards totally disconnected with the small-scale butcher it was revealed to be all about.

The kirby gimmick should've been a side plot.

This. This. 1000x this.

Most amazing webseries I've ever seen... absolutely unbelievable.

I hope I wasn't the only one tearing up during the last couple episodes. You know its got it when something can tug at your heartstrings.

Hey_look_a_cat:
Okay I have three questions

1- Does anyone have the causality list?
2- Whens the DvD coming?
3- Can we get a picture of the Characters that survived in one amazing group shot?

causalities...that'd be nice, like a "dedicated to:" then give a list of all the characters who died....in fact i might just do that xP

DVD: according to the TWBB forums, either January or February of 2010

and i would kill anyone, throw away a klondike bar, be personally responsible for or relive Red's death, and shoot chuck norris in the face with a BFG9000 for that picture.

Master_of_Oldskool:
Mother. Fucking. Epic. Thank you all, every man, woman and child who was even associated with anyone who worked even for two seconds on any aspect of this series. I have only one minor gripe with the entire thing- the lack of closure. The ending is almost like a sequel hook, but as far as I know, there isn't any sort of continuation planned. It leaves me craving more. All in all, though, great series, awesome job, and long live Matthew Mercer and Zach Grafton.

LONG LIVE MATTHEW!!!

LONG LIVE ZACH!!!

Usual Suspects ending?

Waluigi is Keyser Söze!

*watches Waluigi drop his helmet and get into a car, where he drives off*

My only complaint is that there was no Master Hand. Otherwise it was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Wayward Sean:

Your second paragraph is not what's the problem here. Sure, subtlety is an effective and striking method of storytelling when used correctly, but the line between a subtle plot and a muddled one is very fine indeed. Without a substantial knowledge of Nintendo esoterica, much of the plot becomes lost. The creators of the series take way too much for granted when it comes to this. I for one had no idea of who e.g. Metaknight, Dedede, Daisy or "the demons" were before watching TWBB, and the characters I didn't bother researching are even more numerous. Because of this, much of what was likely very effective storytelling in your case became muddled randomness for me. Another thing that does not help at all is the pseudo-italian accents of the main cast, for yet more subtleties are lost through this unless one reviews scenes again; this being something which is not a hallmark of good storytelling. Simply adding captions would have done wonders for TWBB.
Note that I otherwise have very few gripes with this excellent webseries.

There's a rumor going around, that I'm starting here, that the DVD will have an alternative ending. The source of this info was very drunk at the time, so he could have been making a joke.

Finally got around to watch the finale and all I can say is: That was epic! Did not expect the ending at all, very well done. *Sigh* I'm quite sad that it's over, I could've watched this show until the end of time.

I did enjoy the credits as well. "Sakurai's Dead Legs" had me in stitches!

And on a final note: DVD please ^_^

IdealistCommi:

TheNamlessGuy:

IdealistCommi:
....Excellent., Just...excellent.
By far one of the greatest series of anything ever.
I honestly hope there is a DVD

There is

Yay. ..Just...YAY

sorry if I may ask but why pay for what is free? I mean I loved the series and who ever wrote it is a genius but i'm still not going to pay for it.

Punisher A.J.:

IdealistCommi:

TheNamlessGuy:

IdealistCommi:
....Excellent., Just...excellent.
By far one of the greatest series of anything ever.
I honestly hope there is a DVD

There is

Yay. ..Just...YAY

sorry if I may ask but why pay for what is free? I mean I loved the series and who ever wrote it is a genius but i'm still not going to pay for it.

Perhaps some just are more willing than others to support their favourite web series crew financially. It´s as good a method to show appreciation as any, I think. Plus, the possible DVD is bound to have extra goodies, which ought to interest fans.

Good, but could have been better. Aside from the usual complaints, I was disappointed when the earthbound boys ended up being the killers (Not unexpected,shows like these can have anyone as the killer). I always thought of them as some of the most uncorruptable N characters, especially Ness. Of course, that might be what Paula was thinking at the end.

To everyone who created and worked on There Will Be Brawl, thank you for making this, you did an incredible job and made something very original. I hope you are all proud, and rake in some good money when you drop this on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Thanks also to The Escapist for hosting it. Since it doesn't really fit the 5 min a week mold. I'm really happy you chose to host this.

just amazing
poor link, and zelda, stringing him along

Maybe we should list the nintendo character you didn't know about until TWBB (G&w, most of Dedede girls)

Thank to Tvtropes the final twist was save for me at the last minute (I actually knew the Kid Radd Eathbournd parody prior the actual game)

For the people asking about the legality of a DVD, there are loopholes. Matt Mercer has previously stated that you could donate $10 (or however much the final product will be), and get a "free" DVD with it, which does not violate any copyrights.

Secondly, while I can sympathize with people who do not know about the characters from before the show, I appreciate that they included them. The intended audience of the show (in my opinion only) would be the group of people who know and love Nintendo games, mainly the characters in Smash games. While this does put a group of people (namely anybody who doesn't know certain Nintendo characters) off the videos, it GREATLY increases my appreciation of the series, because they did get a whole lot right with it. They included the character's backstories to a degree that is believable in context. If Kirby were a psycho and ran rampant through Dreamland, then the Mushroom Kingdom, that is how I would believe MK and DDD to react. Similar things with the takeover of Hyrule. While these story arcs are not found in any games, they are believable in the context of the series.

Third, I would just like to state that because one person (or a handful of people for that matter) do not understand something does not mean that it is not understandable. For me, the series was quite confusing until the end, and then, they were able to tie everything together quite well in a manner that made sense. Again, it's believable. I do feel sorry that you didn't "get" the series, but that really happens with almost anything in life... some people won't understand or like pretty much anything, and we can accept that. Again, I'm sorry that you don't get it, but haughtily throwing the words of Yahtzee around like he's some sort of deity is pretty misplaced. He's a funny game reviewer, and only that, so for this series, he's irrelevant. Your misunderstanding or dislike of the series is not a strike against, or a problem with, the series because the series did exactly what it set out to do, and many people are quite pleased with the final result. It may not be your fault either... it's ok to just not like something, but don't assume that because you don't like it, it's bad.

Finally, to the TWBB crew. I commend you for your work on this. It has been very enjoyable to watch the series and talk about it, hashing and rehashing theories about the possible killers, and honestly, I can't thank you enough for that experience. To Matt, Zach, Matt, Tony, Becky, JoEllen, Paul, Kat, Kyle, and literally everybody else in the series, I hope you find nothing but good things in your future.

fenrirvii:
For the people asking about the legality of a DVD, there are loopholes. Matt Mercer has previously stated that you could donate $10 (or however much the final product will be), and get a "free" DVD with it, which does not violate any copyrights.

Hopefully they do everything that is necessary to not break the law/get in trouble, because as cool as it would be to have it on DVD its a pretty huge risk.

the hallway scene?

Why don't they just contact Nintendo, and say "look we've made this wildly popular mini-series on the internet, and our legions of adoring fans would like to see a dvd release. Can you make that happen?"

I mean, i don't know if Nintendo would do it, but it sure as hell is worth a shot.

There was a brawl...and Mario was kick-ass! I'd hoped that Peach was still alive. It made me a little sad. :(
This was quite creepy! If I was younger I could probably have nightmares about Kirby.
And It's hillarious when I play a Kirby game now, realising hes a cannibal, and it always reminds me of TWBB.
Brilliant finale guys!

wow, I did not see that twist on the killer, though it does make sense. Earthbound has to be one of the most bizare games I have ever played O__e. Too bad it's over. Hope there's a dvd :D

my_brilliant:
I did enjoy the credits as well. "Sakurai's Dead Legs" had me in stitches!

dont forget pillow Mcpillowson as the pillow! XD

Hmm. It doesn't seem to be loading for me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here