Zero Punctuation: Darksiders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Woodsey:

sirdanrhodes:
To be honest, I thought Darksiders was a PS3 only game. Now I know it's on 360, I'm skeptical. Thanks Yahtzee.

Why does that make a difference?

Basically, I was kinda wanting it, and when a friend got it on PS3, he had no end of complaints. Now, another review that was negative, I am left not sure if I want the 360 version (I have no PS3).

Thank fuck for LoveFilm rentals.

Why is the always at least one person who gets themself suspended by posting a comment as soon as the video is posted every week?

Anyway, good show Yahtzee. So in other words this game what you'd get if you threw The Legend of Zelda, God of War, and Portal into a blender and hit 'massacre.'

"I am a monster truck, that walks like a man."

Epic.

Agreed. Incredibly derivative, but I thought it was pretty fun. Tides me over until the real thing comes around.

Anyone else that thinks darksiders sounds like a sitcom?

Like Honeymooners.

Hilarious. One of the best I'd say.

"Gillie suits made out of dinnerware"

What's the point of playing as one of the horsemen, if there is no apocalypse?
I saw some videos, and doesn't seems that spectacular, but it's not that uncommon to find game like this lately, which is the sad part of all this.

Funny review, but I have the game and I've frankly enjoyed it from start to finish. For me, originality is always good, but if you can have an amalgam of other things and make them work together, that's just as fun.

2 small things though:
1) War's personality: He's fucking War, what else would his personality be? I can't imagine any of the Horsemen being all that deep. They're there to be awesome. Let them do that.
2) Also, Yahtzee talking about anything artistic is pretty funny considering he's got the aesthetic sense of a giraffe.

One more thing: Yahtzee clearly never bought the scythe because if he did, he would have known that you CAN indeed mix the sword and scythe together in combos.

Fwee:
Really? I just read Age of Apocalypse two months ago (thanks Library!) and it was pretty awful. Maybe it's just because I didn't read it at the time that it came out.

Joe Mad did Astonishing X-Men which was good (Sabretooth and Blink especially).
Of course X-Men Alpha looked far better (as it was done by Roger Cruz)

lol he was in the best form ive heard from him for a while

I have figured out which of Yahtzees critiques I like best:
The ones where he rips on games for ripping off other games.

Awesome as always!

Suskie:
Oh come on, you're really going to group Majora's Mask with all the other Zelda games? I'll grant you that most Zelda games follow an identical formula, but MM is unlike anything I've ever played. Seriously.

Anyway, great review, as always.

majora's mask is the other half of ocarina of time, it focuses on stronger characters and more interactive environments. I would say that majora's mask is an underrated classic of the N64.

sirdanrhodes:

Woodsey:

sirdanrhodes:
To be honest, I thought Darksiders was a PS3 only game. Now I know it's on 360, I'm skeptical. Thanks Yahtzee.

Why does that make a difference?

Basically, I was kinda wanting it, and when a friend got it on PS3, he had no end of complaints. Now, another review that was negative, I am left not sure if I want the 360 version (I have no PS3).

Thank fuck for LoveFilm rentals.

Ahhh I see.

I remember seeing a trailer for it, not having a clue what style of game it was and thinking "OH MY F*CKING GOD!!". Then recently, I saw the game being played.

CGI is so misleading.

I thought the game had been getting pretty good reviews though?

one of my faves for sure

It is strange how all of them are coming out at the same time. I only have a 360, so I'm waiting for all to be released before I make a decision over which to buy. But by then ME2 will be out, and the Escapist won't hear from me for a month.

Why the bloody hell would that banned fellow say "Yahtzee has done it again?" Was there some doubt as to whether or not he would meet his contractual obligations to release the weekly show he has never failed to miss over the past few years? At this point it's like saying "Yahtzee has an accent."

I think that was one of the best ZPs Yahtzee's done in months, if not longer.
I guess I prefer the more traditional review formula of, "Synopsis, notable features, overall impression," but he does it quite well.
There were fewer tangents than usual, but it made the few, particularly the "I am a monster truck who walks like a man" thing all the more memorable.
Still, this seems like he was particularly inspired, or feeling quite on the ball at the time of making this review; sometimes one does just do something better than they usually do.

I liked Darksiders. It's DMC and LOZ blended with an apocolypse. Darksiders always gets compared to God Of War but only the finishers are like God Of War and nothing else since the blue souls are currency like the red orbs of DMC. The game definately seems to copy, paste alot of things from popular games but it's done very well.

oho man! Havent had a good laugh like that in a while.

I never intended to buy the game (and by "Buy" I mean "Buy, rent or play") anyways. I heard that it had some christian theology tid bits and that made me skeptical. Most people who try to incorporate christian theology into popular media (Movies it was Legion, Darksiders represents video game industry) usually fail miserably. This isnt a bash against Christianity, just that some people wind up misconstruing everything about it. (again..... Legion people............)

My prediction is that Dantes Inferno is going to be a terrible attempt at an old literary work and fan boys will say its gonna be amazing and try to justify it by its combat, but they really only wanna see some boob-age (and some of them, penis...... age)

wow he really didn't like Darksiders

I bet you he going to hate Dante's Inferno even more.

Everything he said in this review is true. And I agree with it. ALL. The worst thing?

I still love the game and will continue to do so until I've cleaved enough meat from demon bones in order to feed the five thousand!

Wow, I'm rather impressed with that line. Go me! :D

If you got stuck with choosing War 40k, Darksiders, or World of Warcraft's sense of clothing style, which one would it be?

this time Yahtzee you where just a Arse, the game was a fun and a good game, you must have played it on easy, when I played trough it on hard it was really fun and challenging, and I love the art style, and yes i love warhammer and warcraft too, but I guess I just have to respect your opinion, even it makes me whanna hit you in the face, ohh well , I guess after laughing my ass of when you have been reviewing all the shity jrpg's and mario games after some time you had to come and bite me in the arse with trashing a game I enjoyed, Touché Yahtzee, Touché.

Please elaborate on your opinion of people who like Warhammer 40K.

man, I really liked this one, I haven't had so many out loud laughs at a game's expense since the AVGN shoved all the bad batman games up Joker's ass.

This is my new most favorite ZP. Funniest one ever.

Complexity seems to stand in for advancement or innovation these days with cutting edge pc and console games, which really does depress me. I mean, I'm all for proper implementation of the newer and better hardware, and if it can do more, great. But at the same time I still want my games to be fun, you know? Intuitive controls and a reasonable goal make it easy to play anything, from a brawler to a racer to a puzzler. I don't need to be able to see every nose hair my avatar has, but if the technology can do it, I guess that's cool? When a very pretty and involved game suffers from control or camera issues, I can't help but always wonder if investment in one detracted from the other.

WAit a second.. Did he said twilight princess was good?

First time i hear him said a zelda game was good O.O

On topic: Pretty good review, but i would love to fight with death..

Haha yes! Us Warhammer nerds finally got beamed! XD

I'll point out Darksiders is SHITE but Bayonetta fucking rocks! <<

Regardless, good stuff! ^^

he will trow a ton of shit all over bayonetta , just wait and see.. lol

I couldn't really nail down why the game was called Darksiders either. Cool name but there was never a mention of the word through the entire game. Just on the box.

seriosly, A gun, whats shoots red and blue portals, SERIOSLY

LogicNProportion:
Haha yes! Us Warhammer nerds finally got beamed! XD

I'll point out Darksiders is SHITE but Bayonetta fucking rocks! <<

Regardless, good stuff! ^^

Darksiders is awesome in what it does. If you're comparing the two directly you've clearly missed the point of the game.

I hope he reviews Mass Effect 2, not just all these hack n slash games.

Gabe:
Luke Plunkett over at Kotaku called Darksiders a "Creative Mess" In his review and laments Joe Madureira's input. This statement alone is enough to make me think that he should probably never write game reviews again. Perhaps he should be relegated to stories about cakes that look like 1up mushrooms or cufflinks shaped like the Triforce.

He doesn't like the designs in Darksiders, which in my book says more about Luke Plunkett than it does about Joe Mad. In reality the designs are fantastic. Joe's work is energetic, iconic and just plain solid. The guy can fucking DRAW for real and Darksiders is overflowing with really inspiring visuals.

Gabe despairs in you Yahtzee. Do you hear me? Gabe despairs.

My new favourite ZP. This one was amazing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here