Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 41 NEXT

Ah, thank you very much. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I look forward to submitting.

Can you tell us what the pay is?

Also, if the comic becomes popular enough, and you exploit it with T-shirts and other merchandise, will there be any compensation?

CrysisMcGee:

Also, if the comic becomes popular enough, and you exploit it with T-shirts and other merchandise, will there be any compensation?

Those are all things that we will go over with you as part of your contract when you win.

Spinwhiz:

CrysisMcGee:

Those are all things that we will go over with you as part of your contract when you win.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

So *claps hands together* Who's looking for an artist buddy?

Charli:

Already got one. I'm the writer, and he's the artist. see some artwork.

http://mjl-artist-at-work.blogspot.com/

s69-5:

Onyx Oblivion:
I can write, but can't draw to save my life.

I have the opposite problem...

Can you also draw in colour? That is the perfect style for my idea, I can write and already have an ongoing dramatic narrative planned out (not comedy though), though I can't draw. If you can draw in colour as well then I would love to work with you and enter this. If you're interested then please let me know :)

Charli:

If you're interested, I would like to see some of your artwork please :). I can write but I need an artist who can draw dramatic scenes, not necessarily comedy though, since my story ideas are based on an ongoing drama I came up with some time ago.

Trivun:

s69-5:

Onyx Oblivion:
I can write, but can't draw to save my life.

Can you also draw in colour? That is the perfect style for my idea, I can write and already have an ongoing dramatic narrative planned out (not comedy though), though I can't draw. If you can draw in colour as well then I would love to work with you and enter this. If you're interested then please let me know :)

Most would say my colouring skills outclass my penciling skills. But I'm not sure I would have the time...

An example of something I coloured (but did not draw):
http://www.bleach7.com/media/gallery/images/1193081902.jpg

I am definantly gonna enter this contest! (I have made some pretty fun comic books before) Just one thing, I can't find the sign up sheet. Is there one? Or is there not one?

Mr.Mattress:
I am definantly gonna enter this contest! (I have made some pretty fun comic books before) Just one thing, I can't find the sign up sheet. Is there one? Or is there not one?

Go here and scroll down.

Zemalac:

Mr.Mattress:

Go here and scroll down.

I don't know, I've allready looked there. It said "At this point, if you have not already done so, fill out the contest form below on this page with a brief description of your comic entry." That makes me think theirs gonna be an entry sheet. Is it on the Upload page after uploading? Or is their no entry sheet at all?

s69-5:

Trivun:

s69-5:

Most would say my colouring skills outclass my penciling skills. But I'm not sure I would have the time...

An example of something I coloured (but did not draw):
http://www.bleach7.com/media/gallery/images/1193081902.jpg

Ah, if you won't have time then that's fair enough. Thanks anyway. And I had a look at that link, the colouring is pretty damn good there, well done :)

Spinwhiz:
Webcomic Contest Now Live!

The Escapist presents its first ever Webcomic Contest!

Beginning today, February 1st, The Escapist will be accepting submitted user-created webcomics and granting one lucky winner a grand prize of a webcomic contract with The Escapist.

If you're an artist, illustrator or talented writer and want to submit a webcomic to The Escapist's Webcomic Contest, click here on how to proceed.

The Webcomic Contest will be accepting entries until noon on February 28th. Good luck!

I have no idea if it's been asked already but it's bugging me, What's the policy on art work that's already been uploaded to a site like DeviantArt, which isn't so much publishing as it is an online portfolio?
Will I be allowed to submit such artworks or will I be required to remove it all from that site beforehand? (considering it's all my work)
Or if I'll have to create an entirely new idea all together.

Just joined the site to enter mine.. good luck to all!

You'll need it <_<

Mr.Mattress:

Zemalac:

Mr.Mattress:

Go here and scroll down.

I don't know, I've allready looked there. It said "At this point, if you have not already done so, fill out the contest form below on this page with a brief description of your comic entry." That makes me think theirs gonna be an entry sheet. Is it on the Upload page after uploading? Or is their no entry sheet at all?

The entry sheet is on that page, right above the legal stuff. It's the only spot on the page where you can enter text, if that helps.

Does it violate copyright laws if i trace images i find on the internet? because thats kind of the basis of my idea

I am looking forward to submitting. Three cheers for competition.

NpPro93:
Does it violate copyright laws if i trace images i find on the internet? because thats kind of the basis of my idea

Grey area. An copyrighted image must be altered to the point of being unrecognizable in order for it to be legally used. It's always best to use your own images, or purchase from Stock Photo sites such as Shutterstock or Getty Images.

Rules may vary from country to country, but I believe that here in Canada, it is permissible to use a restricted image if it is altered by 90% and is not recognizable to its original form.

Trivun:
The thing is, every single time you guys do any sort of contest like this that could lead to a creative contract with the company, people still nitpick and seem to think that you guys are trying to scam us.

I guess I came off sounding pretty skeptic. I didn't mean it like that; I only meant that if someone has a grand idea for a comic / original IP, they should hold onto it for themselves rather than giving away ownership of it and their name.

I think it could be a good deal for those that want to get noticed, have good artistic (or just creative) talent, and don't have the funds to do it themselves.

Wondering if its Ok to use Gary's Mod to develop a comic. I'm planning on going the dramatic route, and since I can't draw to save my life, but love messing about on GM, wondering if that's ok for submissions or off-limits

I have a question: What are the boundaries regarding depictions of substance abuse?

bluepilot:
em, can I submit the comics through photos?

Is so, what format would that be?

This is probably a stupid question, I do realise that.

(Born in the 80s technophobe)

They can be photos but they have to be submitted in .png, .jpg or .gif files.

Archemetis:

Spinwhiz:

Beginning today, February 1st, The Escapist will be accepting submitted user-created webcomics and granting one lucky winner a grand prize of a webcomic contract with The Escapist.

If you're an artist, illustrator or talented writer and want to submit a webcomic to The Escapist's Webcomic Contest, click here on how to proceed.

The Webcomic Contest will be accepting entries until noon on February 28th. Good luck!

I have no idea if it's been asked already but it's bugging me, What's the policy on art work that's already been uploaded to a site like DeviantArt, which isn't so much publishing as it is an online portfolio?
Will I be allowed to submit such artworks or will I be required to remove it all from that site beforehand? (considering it's all my work)

If you have posted the work you are submitting ANYWHERE, you cannot enter it into this contest. While can appreciate what DeviantArt offers to people with an art portfolio, we want your NEW ideas, not stuff you have been working on. We want to show the world for the first time, right here on The Escapist and let everyone we know to come check it out.

The spirit of this event is for new art, which shows us what you are capable of putting together within a month but also shows us if you are able to draw up 2 comics per week and if we can rely on you.

We know there are a ton of great writers and artists out there but bring us the new and awesome from your arsenal. If others have already seen it published anywhere, it's not new enough.

Sam G:
I have a question: What are the boundaries regarding depictions of substance abuse?

We would rather not go into risky behaviors, especially illegal substances.

Lost In The Void:
Wondering if its Ok to use Gary's Mod to develop a comic. I'm planning on going the dramatic route, and since I can't draw to save my life, but love messing about on GM, wondering if that's ok for submissions or off-limits

It should be okay but I'll have to double check with our legal department to make sure.

UPDATE: Yup, should be good to go. Good luck!

thecaptainof:
I think some of the best webcomics I've seen were drawn using a mouse in MS Paint. Now, I'm pretty sure that sort of thing would stand no chance of winning or even being considered on a site that's actually got an audience and standards and such, but I might give it a go anyway because... well, why not. I couldn't draw well even if someone held a gun to my head (no, really, I've seen quadruple amputees with more artistic talent than me), but I'd like to think I can structure a joke.

Give it a shot man! Just remember that Zero Punctuation is simple in it's art and it ended up being a success regardless.

NpPro93:

Tracing can be considered a duplicate of the original and would violate copyright laws.

Spinwhiz:

Archemetis:

Spinwhiz:

If you have posted the work you are submitting ANYWHERE, you cannot enter it into this contest. While can appreciate what DeviantArt offers to people with an art portfolio, we want your NEW ideas, not stuff you have been working on. We want to show the world for the first time, right here on The Escapist and let everyone we know to come check it out.

The spirit of this event is for new art, which shows us what you are capable of putting together within a month but also shows us if you are able to draw up 2 comics per week and if we can rely on you.

We know there are a ton of great writers and artists out there but bring us the new and awesome from your arsenal. If others have already seen it published anywhere, it's not new enough.

I'm not trying to argue.

And I can understand that you'd want to see something new and interesting, but surely having a portfolio of pre-existing work would be evidence enough that someone is reliable?
I mean I personally put the comics I intended to submit together in just under a month, and with some strips I even managed to make up to 4 in a day to completely consistent (If not improved) quality with each strip.

I just feel it's a little unfair that an already established and fleshed out idea should be excluded just because it's already been around for a month(for purely entertainment purposes without contractual profit).
Especially since I am willing to take them all down prior to submitting.
Also, the comics I have put up on DA have received very positive feedback and already has it's own small following.
(As well as the ones I've posted here on the Art thread already)

like I said I'm not trying to argue and I'd be more than willing to come up with a new idea,
It's just a shame I won't be allowed to use the idea that I'm already so enthusiastic about and dedicated to following up.

snowfox:

thecaptainof:
I think some of the best webcomics I've seen were drawn using a mouse in MS Paint. Now, I'm pretty sure that sort of thing would stand no chance of winning or even being considered on a site that's actually got an audience and standards and such, but I might give it a go anyway because... well, why not. I couldn't draw well even if someone held a gun to my head (no, really, I've seen quadruple amputees with more artistic talent than me), but I'd like to think I can structure a joke.

Give it a shot man! Just remember that Zero Punctuation is simple in it's art and it ended up being a success regardless.

Agreed! Give it a shot. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't win but at least you tried. You never know until you try!

I'd really like to enter this contest, I can draw, not perfectly but it's a web comic, and I also recently got a wacom tablet so that makes the entire process easier. The problem is that I cannot write my way out of a paper bag.

So if anyone who can write needs an artist, let me know.

And an example of the style I'm most comfortabe working in: http://panchowski.deviantart.com/art/Falling-Upwards-148213786

Spinwhiz:

Archemetis:

Spinwhiz:

Along this same premise does that also extend to rough sketches and proof of concept for something that hasn't fully been fleshed out or developed yet but has still been posted elsewhere?

Vanguard1219:

Spinwhiz:

Archemetis:

Spinwhiz:

Along this same premise does that also extend to rough sketches and proof of concept for something that hasn't fully been fleshed out or developed yet but has still been posted elsewhere?

Yes, that would extend to sketches and proofs as well.

Is it considered copyright violation if the webcomic is centered around the world that is created by somebody else, but uses mainly original characters, but features ones that are also created by the author of the world. For example, I want to write a comic of which the character lives in the world of Half Life, but is never before seen in the game, but the comic also features some characters that are in the game itself (Dr. Breen).

Now, my idea for a comic is one about five different characters in the Warcraft Universe by Blizzard. Would this violate the copyright laws? I ask because a lot of people make creative content based on the Warcraft games (comics/machinima).

While I'm at it, I need an artist that would be interested in such a project. So if this is allowed in the contest, please write me a private message.

Thank you.

I got a few questions. First is about the banner/logo thing
It says it should be no bigger then 300x300, then
Webcomics width must be no larger than 650 pixels
Webcomics height must be no larger than 1280 pixels
followed by saying these dimensions are valid for the logo/banner. so I am confused on what the dimensions should be

second question, any restrictions at all on violence and profanity? none was mentioned but figured I'd ask.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 41 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here