Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 41 NEXT

One final question, and then I swear I'll shut right up.

If we realise we've fucked up and broken the rules, will we be allowed a chance to re-submit our work? Thanks!

@PizzaBagel: The Escapist gets "non-exclusive, royalty free, world-wide, irrevocable, perpetual license" of your submission, by virtue of you submitting it. And "never before appeared or been broadcast in any form anywhere" has been repeated so many times it's making me dizzy. If it's on your blog, it's not contest legal. This is in the rules, and has been the whole time.

Rylan:

I'm just doing what I do best ^_^ making wave; and last time I checked controversy still gets attention... and I can't remember now, are websites still in the business of wanting attention? (and quite frankly this is about as harmless as controversy gets, at best I am only digging my own grave ^_^)
*image*

Controversy might get attention, but there's not really much controversy here. You're posting comic panels of the characters from your submission, which is a willful and repeated violation of the rules. You attest that it's somehow fine, which I presume means you don't expect to win and so don't mind flouting the rules. Adding to that, the dialogue of your last comic image begins to border on flaming, which is a violation of FORUM rules.

Perhaps you should consider treading a little more lightly in your selfless attempt to attract people to The Escapist by ignoring their guidelines.

Thank you for the clarification on that one, Jimothy. I really do appreciate it. If I remove the entries from my website, does that validate them? Or if not, can I re-submit new material? Thanks again.

Hope everyone else is having more luck with their stuff, Looking forward to seeing the final products!

I am here to have fun... hell if you can't have a little fun in life why did we sign up? If you want to suck the life out of every moment then by all means, red tape it to death but as for me...

So I understand that we have to submit four images, and that a strip counts as an image, but do the images have to be strips? Because one of mine was going to be a single, title-page style image (the others are normal strips) and I'm not sure if that's allowed anymore.

Also, the main page says "Winners will be announced the week of March 1st." "Winners" is plural, but I thought there was just one winner. Am I missing something, or just overthinking something?

@Yerocha I think that is to imply that a contest submission may or may not have multiple people working in it. The same thought crossed my mind, but it also makes no mention of other prizes offered.

@Rylan I appreciate your initial sentiments, but perhaps a modicum of respect for the rules and other contest entrants might be in order.

@PizzaBagel: The mods seem to be pretty forgiving. I'd take down the images and try sending a polite PM to Spinwhiz to see if you need to (and if so, are allowed to) resubmit.

@Yerocha: Spinwhiz has responded to a couple related questions, saying that entrants are free to divide their images up however they would like, which means a single-panel image should be fine. It could also be a snazzy way to show off some of your potential for detail work and backgrounds without overfilling your strip pages.

@Rylan I am in no way related to anyone at The Escapist. I am simply a fan of the website and its work.
I myself am working on a webcomic submission and only started visiting this thread so I could find out any additional information on the contest. I thought I might be helpful to others by pointing out the rules as written or previously clarified by Spinwhiz because I understand that not everybody takes the time to read the entire forum. But thanks for making it more difficult and unpleasant than it has to be.

Edit: The hat is a Trilby, it has nothing to do with Yahtzee. I just like it.

sounds like a boatload of fun

HOWEVER!!

if you referance any other webcomic in existance.............. WE WILL KNOW!

its all about originality here people. i got the watch for cyanide & happiness covered

Allow me to clarify if I can my posts and point of view (if such a thing is possible).
I just like all of us here have joined in the wondrous adventure of creation of a NEW web comic for The Escapist. I completed at a time when a select few had taken the liberty of sharing a few well drawn pieces of art, giving insight into their style, but not giving away the premise of the comic.
As many artists will understand my muse spoke to me and I saw my characters point of view of this art, and I illustrated it in a breaking of the fifth wall, one frame response. This response gives nothing away to the premise of the comic other than basic personalities of the characters I intend to illustrate; I found this helpful for me and my understanding these newborn characters.
Then it soon came to pass that someone brought fear to the forum of disqualification for out of context imagery, so I reread the General Rules and returned to my initial conclusion that in the spirit of this contest, so long as we are creating something new and not releasing important context intended to shape the concept of the web comic, there is no cause for alarm in sharing a little peek at your unique brand of genius.
I am a passionate believer in the freedom of speech and ideas, that the spirit of the law should never be overridden by the letter of the law and that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
I perhaps allowed my muse too much leniency in expressing the thoughts of these toons put in a situation where their very existence is under attack, and I apologize if I have made anyone's experience here less than what it should be.
But do take this into account when making your comics, if it is good enough to win then nothing you would say here would cause you to lose and if it isn't good enough then nothing you could say here would cause you to win; so take some enjoyment out of this and don't let winning be your sole driving factor.
I will cease posting image responses (unless asked to continue) because I do have better things to do than draw those four every time I wish to post a forum response (though I am sure some of you doubt that ^_^)

and @pooryohei you have a lovely Trilby, and believe it or not I am jealous that I myself do not own one.

Rylan:
Allow me to clarify if I can my posts and point of view (if such a thing is possible).
I just like all of us here have joined in the wondrous adventure of creation of a NEW web comic for The Escapist. I completed at a time when a select few had taken the liberty of sharing a few well drawn pieces of art, giving insight into their style, but not giving away the premise of the comic.
As many artists will understand my muse spoke to me and I saw my characters point of view of this art, and I illustrated it in a breaking of the fifth wall, one frame response. This response gives nothing away to the premise of the comic other than basic personalities of the characters I intend to illustrate; I found this helpful for me and my understanding these newborn characters.
Then it soon came to pass that someone brought fear to the forum of disqualification for out of context imagery, so I reread the General Rules and returned to my initial conclusion that in the spirit of this contest, so long as we are creating something new and not releasing important context intended to shape the concept of the web comic, there is no cause for alarm in sharing a little peek at your unique brand of genius.
I am a passionate believer in the freedom of speech and ideas, that the spirit of the law should never be overridden by the letter of the law and that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
I perhaps allowed my muse too much leniency in expressing the thoughts of these toons put in a situation where their very existence is under attack, and I apologize if I have made anyone's experience here less than what it should be.
But do take this into account when making your comics, if it is good enough to win then nothing you would say here would cause you to lose and if it isn't good enough then nothing you could say here would cause you to win; so take some enjoyment out of this and don't let winning be your sole driving factor.
I will cease posting image responses (unless asked to continue) because I do have better things to do than draw those four every time I wish to post a forum response (though I am sure some of you doubt that ^_^)

and @pooryohei you have a lovely Trilby, and believe it or not I am jealous that I myself do not own one.

I've not read entirely into this debate, so forgive me if I come across as if I don't fully know what I'm on about, because that is the case.

You're argument here seems to be that as long as you're only posting the characters as a means of further developing the characters and helping yourself to introduce them to us in the event that you win and that it's perfectly fine, as long as it's not the finished product that you've put up for submission.
Which I understand completely.
However, I recall Spinwhiz at some point mentioning that even character concepts are considered in the rules...
It's the only reason I'm a little apprehensive about the inclusion of my on-line persona in my final submission, as he's appeared elsewhere before, hopefully all it'll lead to is a negotiation to remove him, which I have no problem with doing.

Basically what I recall reading on this thread (Don't press me on whereabouts, I'm terrible at remembering page numbers on large threads) stating that if a character has also appeared in some form on the internet, then that character is also void from the submission.

I'm hoping I'll be all right because as much as my character has been on the internet (He's in my avatar for this site) he's not so much a character as he is an artistic representation of myself and as I said if I have to remove him from it, I will happily do that.

So yeah, you might want to be a little more careful about thrusting your characters out there for the time being.
It's a good idea what you're doing, by trying to ease the potential audience into the characters and style but for the submission rules it's probably better to just let the staff draw their own opinions from the finished product.

Although you might be OK, considering you are posting them to the Website that's hosting the contest, but even then I'm not entirely sure.

Hope that's at least helpful.

Hi Friends,

After reading through a couple posts, the "sketches" seem to be a main point of concern, so allow me to clarify. We don't want art you have already used, in stories that have already been posted, which included sketches and layouts. For example, if you have 10 sketches up on deviantart and then want to use that same exact art for our contest, no go. HOWEVER...if those sketches are changed, updated and polished, as well as adding context, we will take that submission.

We don't want sketches because we want NEW ideas, not ones people have been floating around for years. If tons of people have seen your main characters or creations, how are we supposed to make people excited about them? Change them up, make them awesome, add dialog and submit. We look forward to seeing them.

As for submitting with one account but working with more than one person, be aware that we are asking for 2 webcomics a week, so you had better make sure you can work with this person over a long period of time and that they are reliable.

Someone also asked about the "brand". We want a logo for your comic so we can show everyone.

Thank you to those that are helping me out by showing others previously answered questions in this post. I greatly appreciate it.

Have a great day everyone!
~Spin

PHEW That has been eating at me all weekend. Thank you so much, Spinwhiz.

Got the idea and theme of mine in place. It is sadly a bit more introspective into my life than I would like to admit, although I am sure many of us have been there. I won't give too much away until close to the release date. But I have all 5 panels made, and am just going back through them nit picking and inking it up a bit. Although I am more of an idea guy, I am not a horrible artist. I have one of those HP SmartTouch tablets that you can draw on the screen. It gives you that nice hand drawn type feel that some of animated series featured on this site tend to have.

I have been tossing it to a few of my friends and getting feedback and reworking a few of the jokes to even put some extra finite polish here and there. I could probably go ahead and upload it, but I HAVE to win this competition. I gotta pay the bills, and this would be the kind of work I would love to do. I want to continue the story that is told here in just these few panels. Although each panel could stand on its own, there is an element of story that is told and progressed as follow along. And in fact, the last panel brings full circle the interesting factors behind what is going to happen due to the aftermath of the prior events. I almost wish it was 5 or 6 panels so I could give you a taste of where the next set would go, but only winning the competition will allow me to spend the amount of time needed to pursue this cartoon further.

One downside to the presentation of the series is that I only get to brush on the game elements lightly. I have full intention to plow into topical game related jokes as well. And am debating on finding space to slide in one or two more zingers, but the space is limited. If anything I fear that it might be too much about the people that play the games and less about footage of the game. But that is due to the limited nature of only having 4 panels to tell the story behind my characters and where the series is headed. Plus, the manor at which I did this allows me to be able to meet the demands of 2 a week release deadlines. I would hate to release something that I couldn't reproduce in a timely manor and so the various stylings in which I used will look familiar to you and yet presentable enough to get the ideas and messages conveyed.

* FIRST EDIT * = I have been making alternate versions of the panels, I almost wish I could submit both forms in case the jokes from one sticks better for the editors. Guess I will just have to use my best judgment on which version I decide to submit.

- MORE INFO TO BE ADDED 1 week from now closer to the deadline -

Hello, I've been viewing this website for at least a solid year, mostly through Zero Punctuation and Movie Bob.

I've been a decent reader of various webcomics, seen them come and go while others remain consistant and dabbled in some webcomics of my own and looking for a fresh start that may hopefully get some side income.

That being said, I'm entering this contest. I just need to know a couple things, I've already seen answers to other questions.

1. The comic idea I have could have a alot more action than your common "Two irate/witty gamer critics + couch" formula that's popular these days. I'm talking zany adventures from certain parts of the globe, parodies of popular game genre (RPG, FPS, retro, etc.), with a mix of one day pot shots of the game industry or pop culture to mix things up. Not sure if twice a week could work for that kind of thing since I am under the impression that you want more of a Garfield/Penny Arcade sort of a deal here... So in short:

Comedy or Action Comedy acceptable? I've learned from reading webcomics that some people hate long story arcs, can't say I blame them BUT it can leave the reader wanting more and could help in longevity too. I think I've seen somewhere in this thread a comic page could be bigger than four panels, but I understand it's better not to push it.

2. The royalty thing kind of bugs me, though the winner gets paid for making the comic s/he wont see profit from any merchandise? What if say the artist sells merchandise from the winning comic in say artwork requests, bumper stickers, comic anthologies, or T-shirts on their own accord, is that allowed? Maybe promoting the Escapist as well just to be fair?

Maybe that's going over my head on #2.

Thanks for your time!

I know it's pretty late to join the fray, but I have a couple of ideas I think could work. But I can't draw, like, at all. So if any artists are reading this and looking to work as a slave for a dictatorial writer, hello! Send me a PM.

V Gray:
My name is Vincent Gray, and I've been making web comics for a while now.
Doing two comics a week is a lot, seeing most webcomic artist only produce one per week.
When I first started I could only make one per month, but it gets easier every time.
Please ask your self can you continue writing two jokes a week? Can you produce your art quickly? If no then it may be to soon for you.
I fear the one that dose get the job will burn out of ideas quickly.

I agree with your concern, and also the issue of quality. I am actually entering average comics rather then my best because I want to show what I can consistantly do. Probably not the best approach to win, but is the best if you want to continue. Otherwise as you said, you'd burn out, quality will tank, ect.

Though in a way this contest itself does help with that. Two weeks left to enter, if someone cant manage manage four strips then they couldn't if they got the contract anyways. But if they can, and it was something they were comfertable doing, then good chance they can into the near future

I have to say, even if what Rylan's been doing did get him disqualified, I can't help but be amused at his ability to take it in stride, enjoy the ride, and milk it for all its worth.

@Gallimaestro: It's already been stated that you can make your comic in any number of styles, including something more like the conventional comic book (adventure, action, etc.). From the rules: "feel free to write and illustrate anything your heart desires. From stick figure drawings to illustrated comics Marvel or DC Comics..." It doesn't even have to be humor-based, although short term appeal is usually easier to generate with light content. Also, it's not four panels, it's four images. Each image can be any number of panels, as long as the image is the proper dimensions (650x1280 or smaller).

I don't know where you got the idea that methods for dealing with royalties were already established, because that question has been pointedly deferred EVERY time it has come up. It's something they'll figure out in contract negotiations with the winner.

Personally, I almost always prefer things with actual plots. Maybe the judges will feel the same. Good luck with your entry!

Hey Shamus do you think I can win with this? I spent a good week perfecting it, so it should be the winner if I don't violate rules.

aeroz:

V Gray:
Doing two comics a week is a lot, seeing most webcomic artist only produce one per week.
When I first started I could only make one per month, but it gets easier every time.
Please ask your self can you continue writing two jokes a week? Can you produce your art quickly? If no then it may be to soon for you.

I agree with your concern, and also the issue of quality. I am actually entering average comics rather then my best because I want to show what I can consistantly do. Probably not the best approach to win, but is the best if you want to continue. Otherwise as you said, you'd burn out, quality will tank, ect.

Though in a way this contest itself does help with that. Two weeks left to enter, if someone cant manage manage four strips then they couldn't if they got the contract anyways. But if they can, and it was something they were comfertable doing, then good chance they can into the near future

That was my fear as well. With a month to prepare, the first one is going to be AWESOME! But can the 2nd and 3rd one be of the same level? I have been racking my brain about TIME versus Quality, and I think I found a happy medium. I wish I had more time to make it look even better, but I have to realize that they are going to need to be constant. So there for instead of focusing on making them all pretty and artistic, I am focusing on content and character development. But 2 a week will be taxing, but I am up for the work. I am a layed off work IT tech that has been searching for work for over a year. So this would the kind of thing I would love to do.

Regarding episodic comics, do all four submissions have to occur back to back or can I submit material from future comics to demonstrate where the plot is going? The idea I'm working on now is actually something I've been fleshing out for a while and I want to take one of the major threads and give you guys a preview of how it'll develop.

What a fabulous and exciting idea!!! Best of luck to all who are entering!

SirPumpkinLongshanks:
Regarding episodic comics, do all four submissions have to occur back to back or can I submit material from future comics to demonstrate where the plot is going? The idea I'm working on now is actually something I've been fleshing out for a while and I want to take one of the major threads and give you guys a preview of how it'll develop.

I assume that would be your call depending on which you think is best for your submission. Personally I'd go for 4 pages in chronological order on the basis that it would make for more coherent reading should the Escapist decide to showcase your entry.

You could always provide a small text synopsis with your entry if you're worried your submission isn't getting the potential of the full story across. :D

I apologize in advance if this has been address but I could not find an answer to a question I had.

Is there a limit of entries? As in, can I submit two different comics/entries? Each would have their own brand and 4 pieces of art. It wouldn't be a problem, there isn't a limit on entries correct?

jimothy_:
@Gallimaestro: It's already been stated that you can make your comic in any number of styles, including something more like the conventional comic book (adventure, action, etc.). From the rules: "feel free to write and illustrate anything your heart desires. From stick figure drawings to illustrated comics Marvel or DC Comics..." It doesn't even have to be humor-based, although short term appeal is usually easier to generate with light content. Also, it's not four panels, it's four images. Each image can be any number of panels, as long as the image is the proper dimensions (650x1280 or smaller).

I don't know where you got the idea that methods for dealing with royalties were already established, because that question has been pointedly deferred EVERY time it has come up. It's something they'll figure out in contract negotiations with the winner.

Personally, I almost always prefer things with actual plots. Maybe the judges will feel the same. Good luck with your entry!

Thanks for the reply! I overlooked the comic style bit, had to re-read everything over after I posted that.

toadking07:
I apologize in advance if this has been address but I could not find an answer to a question I had.

Is there a limit of entries? As in, can I submit two different comics/entries? Each would have their own brand and 4 pieces of art. It wouldn't be a problem, there isn't a limit on entries correct?

The limit is one:

Spinwhiz:

JoeBloggs:
Sorry if this question has been asked already, but is it possible to enter twice- with two different comics?

Unfortunately not. Submit whatever you think is your best work!

Somewhere else it was noted that comics with more than one creator count for both the submitter and their collaborator, so there don't seem to be any loopholes on this one.

should we watermark the comics when we enter? we weren't sure if we should slap our names on the strips or not

Is the contest over? I don't see the banner up anymore.

I've been working on my entry, with only a page to go, and will be slightly annoyed if the plug was pulled early.

The contest ends on February 28th. I highly doubt they'd change it without telling us. ;)

Emerwyn:
The contest ends on February 28th. I highly doubt they'd change it without telling us. ;)

I'm aware of this, which is why I am concerned to not see advertising anymore.

its permalinked on the opening post of this thread. I wouldn't worry. They probably figured if you haven't started by now you probably couldn't develope something from scratch in that time

Space Jawa:
I have to say, even if what Rylan's been doing did get him disqualified, I can't help but be amused at his ability to take it in stride, enjoy the ride, and milk it for all its worth.

And Milk it I will ^_^

(I can't take credit for the joke... but it fits the image too well not to use it)

GamerPhate:

aeroz:

V Gray:

That was my fear as well. With a month to prepare, the first one is going to be AWESOME! But can the 2nd and 3rd one be of the same level? I have been racking my brain about TIME versus Quality, and I think I found a happy medium. I wish I had more time to make it look even better, but I have to realize that they are going to need to be constant. So there for instead of focusing on making them all pretty and artistic, I am focusing on content and character development. But 2 a week will be taxing, but I am up for the work. I am a layed off work IT tech that has been searching for work for over a year. So this would the kind of thing I would love to do.

Well that's made me a fair bit more confident, I got consistant quality throughout my four strips within 8 days, including time I took thinking up the idea and creating the characters from scratch...

Then again, those who know me here or on the Art thread know that I'm some-what quick abotu character designs.

I'm not trying to say "Hah! you guys are panicking while I'm already done!" I'm panicking too xD
As much as I impressed even myself with how quickly I managed to create my strips to a fairly decent maintainable quality I have doubts about how long I can carry a series doing it twice a week...

Although saying that I've been doing comics on-line as a hobby for nearly 7 years... So I guess I'm just more used to it than some...

I think what I'm trying to drive at here is, it's a worrying concept for a lot of people here about whether they can conceivably carry a series so consistently. But I'm sure once the winner is settled in, It'll become virtually second nature and the process of creating the strips will get so much easier as they develop short-cuts like everyone does.

It'd probably be a good idea for those who enter to brainstorm a few ideas that they can carry with them in the event that they win, so that at least have something to go with while they get comfy.

Is there any chance I could get the text portion of my entry reset? I was a little confused and I thought it was a Question Box for some reason... and I definitely need that to explain the concept for my comic... Please and thank you~

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 41 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here