Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 41 NEXT

Yes,I shall join this wondrous contest so I can get paid to do stuff I enjoy making!SQUEEEEEE!

hello again everyone. well only a few more weeks to go, and the whole experience has been more about the planing process rather then the comics. oh I've done that too, but I've scrapped my previous work for a more traditional idea. my original Idea would have forced me to be a shut in, trying to make the dead line.

It probably would have been better if the employer would have asked for a balance in schedule. say if the comic is of simple design then two per week it reasonable, or One complex comic per week. This don't give you much options.
shamus young's work is more about the jokes then the art, so it's reasonable for him, but for someone like me who has to draw my work one comic per week is how I would have to do it, to prove my point, this is what some one like penny arcade or vg cats would do, and thats my style. I've just thought of an Idea were I can draw and produce 2 a week, and not kill myself, so I'm good. I just got to think of the last joke.

I've also had to plan a schedule for this job, I though up my time would be divided like this, two days of drawing, two days of computer art, then the last day would be for writing, or other stuff, this will also give me a two day weekend. VG cast scott said he spends roughly 9 hours on the art then another 9 hours of the computer art.

I've also come to a decision about this contest early on. to me it really doesn't matter if I win or lose this contest, I'm working towards my dream too have a job were I can draw all day, If I dont win then I'll find another way, most webcomic artist made it by themselves. I have my own site it's just a pain to draw comics and manage a web site at the same time. I see this more of a learning experience then anything else. I'm doing this because I love to draw and make people laugh.

aeroz:
should we watermark the comics when we enter? we weren't sure if we should slap our names on the strips or not

You don't have to watermark them.

Gallimaestro:
Hello, I've been viewing this website for at least a solid year, mostly through Zero Punctuation and Movie Bob.

I've been a decent reader of various webcomics, seen them come and go while others remain consistant and dabbled in some webcomics of my own and looking for a fresh start that may hopefully get some side income.

That being said, I'm entering this contest. I just need to know a couple things, I've already seen answers to other questions.
~snip~
Comedy or Action Comedy acceptable? I've learned from reading webcomics that some people hate long story arcs, can't say I blame them BUT it can leave the reader wanting more and could help in longevity too. I think I've seen somewhere in this thread a comic page could be bigger than four panels, but I understand it's better not to push it.

Yup, Comedy or Action Comedy are perfectly acceptable.

2. The royalty thing kind of bugs me, though the winner gets paid for making the comic s/he wont see profit from any merchandise? What if say the artist sells merchandise from the winning comic in say artwork requests, bumper stickers, comic anthologies, or T-shirts on their own accord, is that allowed? Maybe promoting the Escapist as well just to be fair?

That will all be part of your contract if you win. Also we aren't going to make merchandise of any content on a whim, regardless of whether someone wins or not. It would look bad to sell merchandise and just leave the creator out in the cold.

kawaiiamethist:

Emerwyn:
The contest ends on February 28th. I highly doubt they'd change it without telling us. ;)

I'm aware of this, which is why I am concerned to not see advertising anymore.

No, it's still running. It's just not on the front page anymore because of the Aliens vs. Predator Battle that is taking place.

Man,I hope I win,I need to get out of my mom's basement!

AniMerrill:
Is there any chance I could get the text portion of my entry reset? I was a little confused and I thought it was a Question Box for some reason... and I definitely need that to explain the concept for my comic... Please and thank you~

You should be able to re-enter your comic description now.

umm by art does it mean an entire comic or can it be a short one like 3 frame

Liam Blacker:
umm by art does it mean an entire comic or can it be a short one like 3 frame

It can be 3 frames, yes. It can even be nine! Each piece of art is basically an example of what your comic pages will look like.

Oh boy, tried to power through the thread to make sure I don't ask any more repeat questions, I think this hasn't been asked yet. Profanity, is it a problem? Simple cursing like cr@p, sh!t, d!ck, b@stard, etc. I'm not talking the whole comic is that, but I'm just wondering about stuff like that. Or even just words like pen!s, vag!na, f@ggot, etc.

Had a joke with a punchline that I wasn't sure if it was a gray area. It's not talking about sex, but it's still using words like those mentioned above.

toadking07:
Oh boy, tried to power through the thread to make sure I don't ask any more repeat questions, I think this hasn't been asked yet. Profanity, is it a problem? Simple cursing like cr@p, sh!t, d!ck, b@stard, etc. I'm not talking the whole comic is that, but I'm just wondering about stuff like that. Or even just words like pen!s, vag!na, f@ggot, etc.

Had a joke with a punchline that I wasn't sure if it was a gray area. It's not talking about sex, but it's still using words like those mentioned above.

There is no rule against the use of swearing but anything can be overused.

How should we go about entering if we've teamed up with another person? Should we simply make sure to include their name in the description and say which part each individual is doing (along with their Escapist User Name if they're a member here)? Or is there some other way of going about it?

H

paulgruberman:

AniMerrill:
Is there any chance I could get the text portion of my entry reset? I was a little confused and I thought it was a Question Box for some reason... and I definitely need that to explain the concept for my comic... Please and thank you~

You should be able to re-enter your comic description now.

~phew~ Many thanks to you kind sir~ You don't have any idea how worried that had me. :D

Thank you Spinwhiz for answer my question and the many other questions posted here.

Thank you for putting up with us all and our questioning nature. Looking forward to seeing the results of this contest! (and if the escapist will ever try it again!)

Are you guys going to post everyone's submissions during or after judging?

LACKT:

I would assume, and this is just an assumption, that they'd probably only be able to really post people's submissions whom they gave permission to post: e.g. pretty much the winner who gets a shiny ironclad contract and nobody else because that could get them into some pretty weird legal trouble with people who don't appreciate infringement of a technical copyright they own over their work which they're particularly cranky about because they didn't win.

That's what I suspect anyway, I could be wrong.

Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but the thread is huge now. I'm wondering about the size restrictions you put up on the front page (650 x 1280 or something like that). Is that the maximum size of the entire comic, or is that the maximum size of the individual panels?

Yeah,there would be angry non-winners but getting their stuff posted would still be free advertisement of their work.

AniMerrill:
I would assume, and this is just an assumption, that they'd probably only be able to really post people's submissions whom they gave permission to post: e.g. pretty much the winner who gets a shiny ironclad contract and nobody else because that could get them into some pretty weird legal trouble with people who don't appreciate infringement of a technical copyright they own over their work which they're particularly cranky about because they didn't win.

Actually, as I interpret it, the contest rules give them permission to use anything submitted for purposes of stuff like advertising, so they'd completely be able to post the loosing entries if they wanted.

However, I have a suspicion they won't post the full loosing entries simply because that would give free advertising to anyone who wanted to try to take their loosing entry and try to make something of it anyway. Why give free advertising to potential new competitors of the comic that they want people to be reading here?

thecaptainof:
I think some of the best webcomics I've seen were drawn using a mouse in MS Paint. Now, I'm pretty sure that sort of thing would stand no chance of winning or even being considered on a site that's actually got an audience and standards and such, but I might give it a go anyway because... well, why not. I couldn't draw well even if someone held a gun to my head (no, really, I've seen quadruple amputees with more artistic talent than me), but I'd like to think I can structure a joke.

Have you seen the examples they have given? XKCD is stickman and it is so awesome I wouldn't be surprised if it had more regular viewers than the escapist. XKCD is the hieght of standards, a comic only needs to not distract from the element that it is purposely provided for, e.g. A comidic comic needs to make sure the drawings are not overly detailed, they can be well drawn and given huge amounts of time and effort but if they distract from the comidic diologe/comidic picture (delete inaplicable) then the benefit is lost.

Space Jawa:
How should we go about entering if we've teamed up with another person? Should we simply make sure to include their name in the description and say which part each individual is doing (along with their Escapist User Name if they're a member here)? Or is there some other way of going about it?

Have one of you submit but make sure they are mentioned in the summary or somewhere in the panels.

LACKT:

We are waiting to see the entries we get before we make a final decision on that.

Ivankov:
Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but the thread is huge now. I'm wondering about the size restrictions you put up on the front page (650 x 1280 or something like that). Is that the maximum size of the entire comic, or is that the maximum size of the individual panels?

Per individual panel.

toadking07:
Thank you Spinwhiz for answer my question and the many other questions posted here.

Thank you for putting up with us all and our questioning nature. Looking forward to seeing the results of this contest! (and if the escapist will ever try it again!)

You are very welcome! :)

AniMerrill:

LACKT:

[quote="LACKT" post="6.171632.5021695"]Are you guys going to post everyone's submissions during or after judging?

We are waiting to see the entries we get before we make a final decision on that.

Thanks for the answers!

Space Jawa:

AniMerrill:

Actually, as I interpret it, the contest rules give them permission to use anything submitted for purposes of stuff like advertising, so they'd completely be able to post the loosing entries if they wanted.

However, I have a suspicion they won't post the full loosing entries simply because that would give free advertising to anyone who wanted to try to take their loosing entry and try to make something of it anyway. Why give free advertising to potential new competitors of the comic that they want people to be reading here?

Aha! Well, that makes sense and I could have missed the wording that said that... for me, I don't mind, but mainly because I was kind of hoping for the free advertising for my already existing web comic if someone liked my style... even if I didn't win.

But like you said, that could be a problem in itself.

@LACKT No problem, glad to be of service ;D

This is a bit unclear to me.
"We would like to see a full width comic to maintain this quality..."
Does that mean you WANT comics to hit the maximum width of 650 pixels? Or is any size within 650 fine?
Likewise, would something like 650x300 be potentially acceptable?

Spinwhiz:
Have one of you submit but make sure they are mentioned in the summary or somewhere in the panels.

Thank you for the help. :-)

JLrep:
This is a bit unclear to me.
"We would like to see a full width comic to maintain this quality..."
Does that mean you WANT comics to hit the maximum width of 650 pixels? Or is any size within 650 fine?
Likewise, would something like 650x300 be potentially acceptable?

While we would like to see entries at 650 pixels wide, we ask that none of the entries are over that in width of over 1280 in length. So, yes, 650x300 would be acceptable.

Just to be sure: by "4 pieces of art, which can be divided into however many panels you want" it's meant that a submission consists of 4 individual comic strips and the logo?

Thank you.

Finally sent my submission,making up full 5 colored pages of content in 5 days was a bit jarring...All I can do now is wait.

still got plenty of time, not like you had to do it in five days. Though I know how it can be when you get those creative urges. Got mine in too, just hoping I didn't make a mistake. My main doubt is that there will be someone out of nowhere submitting something that steamrolls everyone, including my own. Figure it will either be that, or a realy close top 3

Is this thread an appropriate place to share advice on the comics-making process? I am always interested in learning how to improve my work and in sharing my experience with others. My worries are twofold: first, this thread seems more related to official rules than to general advice; second, the fact that this is a contest may cause many, if not all, to refuse to improve other competitors' chances.

In any case, here's some advice on writing: always keep your audience in mind. Nothing will kill a presentation of any type faster than the audience saying, "I don't get it," or "I don't care." One great thing about this contest and this thread is that we are here because we are part of the target audience, so we can look to ourselves for inspiration.

aeroz:
still got plenty of time, not like you had to do it in five days. Though I know how it can be when you get those creative urges. Got mine in too, just hoping I didn't make a mistake. My main doubt is that there will be someone out of nowhere submitting something that steamrolls everyone, including my own. Figure it will either be that, or a realy close top 3

Oh,I just did it in 5 days to simulate being in a real work schedule and passing it before the deadline just in case changes must be made before publishing.

I hear many complaints of an ability to write, but not draw. I like to think I can do both, but I'm most certainly an illustrator first. So if anybody needs some concepts drawn up; I'll be happy to do some.

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is there an age requirement? 'Webcomic contract' sounds like something you'd need to be 18 for in the US. :/

Yes, I`m also curious about that. Would a comic composed of 4 panels equal 4 `pieces of art?`
Or should I still include 4 comic `strips?` Just want to make absolutely sure. Also, if the height restriction is per individual panel, then would it be alright to create a 4-panel comic strip that spans 2 across and 2 down, equaling a height of 2560? Please let me know. Cheers.

F-W:
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is there an age requirement? 'Webcomic contract' sounds like something you'd need to be 18 for in the US. :/

There was one person who asked about entering at age 16; it was noted that a parent/guardian would need to be in on the contract negotiations. As long as the law doesn't preclude it, I don't think the contest rules out anyone based on age.

Spinwhiz:

Ivankov:

Per individual panel.

Ivankov:
Yes, I`m also curious about that. Would a comic composed of 4 panels equal 4 `pieces of art?`
Or should I still include 4 comic `strips?` Just want to make absolutely sure. Also, if the height restriction is per individual panel, then would it be alright to create a 4-panel comic strip that spans 2 across and 2 down, equaling a height of 2560? Please let me know. Cheers.

I think when Spinwhiz said "panels" in that response, he meant "images." (Per image as opposed to collective size for all the images, which has been specifically asked earlier in the thread.) The accent seems to be on four "images" or four "pages of content," stated a little more clearly in one of his earlier responses:

Spinwhiz:
[...]We want 4 strips, whether they are single frame or multi-frame, that is up to you but there has to be 4 total submissions. For example, if you look at the Stolen Pixels, each one of Shamus's comics would be considered 1 image, yet it's multiple frames. We want 4 of those, which in turn would give us 4 pages of content. :)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 41 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here