Review: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

Pages PREV 1 2

John Funk:
Yabba-dabba-douken!

Win. And I don't say that often. Good review either way, and it's a great game indeed.

And while I agree with aura on the online play, I agree with your response to Nutcase and why you write these reviews.

Aura Guardian:

Onyx Oblivion:

Archemetis:
Frank West?!
Frank "I've covered wars" West?!

I want, no, NEED this game!

On that subject though I have to say I am not impressed with how Frank West looks in this game...
I mean, I know his hair wasn't particularly long in Dead Rising, but I know it wasn't a shiny buzz-cut...

The rest of the game looks pretty standard in terms of Vs. games, but really, like has already been established. That's not a bad thing.

He can summon zombies on shopping carts to fly across the screen into his opponents. And that's one of his regular specials. Not even the Hyper Combo.

Although his VA is odd. It's just not the same...

I kinda like Frank's voice in this game.

It doesn't match his physique. That being said I've never played Dead Rising, but I've listened to the part we've all heard, and he did sound like a bit of a weed.

Mr. Fister:
The more I see this game, the more I want to try it out. It looks like it could be perfect for both quick matches and long party sessions. It's just a shame that it had to come out on the same day as No More Heroes 2 (which is awesome, btw), as that game is still occupying my time. Hopefully GameFly doesn't diddle around too much when I send some games back.

I got both at toys after canceling my pro-order. Got one hell-of-a-sale

John Funk:

Nutcase:
What a fucking horrible "review" - even worse than the Street Fighter IV one. Why do you keep writing them when there are many, many sites that do competent reviews? Ad money? Complete lack of self-criticism?

Nothing on balance
Nothing on how it plays (e.g. how good keepaway games are, what the key steps in the learning progression are, how much shared functionality between the characters, ...)
Nothing on online play
Nothing on game modes and options
Nothing on training facilities
Nothing on how the game actually differs from MvC and other comparable games
No mention of the opening, endings and music which were all omitted / butchered
No mention of other aspects of localization either
Nothing on bonus unlocks or forced unlocks

Bawwwwwwwwwwww we don't write reviews for hardcore fighting game fans bawwwwwwwww

This review isn't intended for the people at Shoryuken who know all of this stuff already. All of the stuff you mention is completely irrelevant to the vast, vast majority of gamers.

Huh?

It's precisely the people not very invested in fighting games who benefit the most from having good in-game tutorials, additional game modes, quality cutscenes, unlockables, etc. - stuff that motivates them between "pick character, go" and/or lets them get into the game without looking anything up. They would maybe like to know if some characters are so hard to unlock that they will never get to play those characters, and if online matchmaking is capable of giving them reasonable opponents or if they'll get steamrolled until sick of it.

Sound and art direction is of interest to everyone. Many UI issues likewise.

Balance is not only a high-end issue, either. For instance, Gamespot - very much a generalist site - opines in its TvC review that some characters are overpowered specifically when both players are not skilled.

Some of these things you did discuss in the SFIV review. So did you imagine yourself catering to a hardcore audience back then, did the Escapist's guidelines change between the two reviews, or what?

Our reviews always come down to one thing: Is it entertaining? Is it worth your money? We're not writing guides, and we're not writing manuals.

Seems more like your reviews come down to shooting one overarching opinion from the hip. Anyone in the world can do that. A good reviewer offers opinions that are informed and specific, and boils them down to an overall verdict. This has nothing to do with rattling off manual data.

It might not have as much depth to it as, say, Street Fighter IV or BlazBlue

Does it, or does it not, mr. Reviewer?

Tatsunoko looks pretty sharp for a Wii title, with all of the characters rendered smartly in cel-shaded 3D, and the screen bursting with colorful visual effects, though the limits of the console are obvious

Since the deficiency in graphics is obvious, you could just say what it is.

You can appreciate it if you're a hardcore fighter

Offering this opinion implies a level of expertise that the rest of the "review" does not indicate in the slightest.

HADOUKEN!!!
Hope we see a review for No More Heroes 2 soon.

Xombee:
Are you one of those cheeseballs that abide by tier lists?

What the christ does "abiding by tier lists" even mean? Losing on purpose when playing a low tier character?

NOBODY HERE SEEMS TO REALIZE THAT MEGAMAN TRIGGER IS IN THE FCKING GAME!

I am dissapointed that only the OP noticed. Very dissapointed. If this were to get a port, it would be nominated for best versus fighter of the year just for the shear variety. Hands down. (if only because it would have a huger audience. For now, it's already got that GOTY smell all over it. :D )

I just hope nothing else is dragging it down, like gameplay glitches or bad online. I will have to look into this potential game

Pendragon9:
NOBODY HERE SEEMS TO REALIZE THAT MEGAMAN TRIGGER IS IN THE FCKING GAME!

I am dissapointed that only the OP noticed. Very dissapointed. If this were to get a port, it would be nominated for best versus fighter of the year just for the shear variety. Hands down. (if only because it would have a huger audience. For now, it's already got that GOTY smell all over it. :D )

I just hope nothing else is dragging it down, like gameplay glitches or bad online. I will have to look into this potential game

edit-Megaman Volnutt is my best by the way.

This is very different from Super Smash Bros...

Yeah the only characters from Tatsunoko that I recognize are Ken, Jun, and Joe from Gatchaman. I remember being obsessed with that show when I was little.

Madmanonfire:

I think he means that this is essentially a mascot fighter. We get our legendary (overseas) 80's anime characters duking it out with (not Street Fighter flooded) Capcom.

Et3rnalLegend64:

Madmanonfire:

I think he means that this is essentially a mascot fighter. We get our legendary (overseas) 80's anime characters duking it out with (not Street Fighter flooded) Capcom.

Actually, I think he was trying to imply how easy it is to get into TvC, i.e. it has the same pick-up-and-play accessibility as the Super Smash Bros. games but with the same level of depth that keeps players coming back.

Yes one more game on my buy list.

Mr. Fister:

Et3rnalLegend64:

Madmanonfire:

Actually, I think he was trying to imply how easy it is to get into TvC, i.e. it has the same pick-up-and-play accessibility as the Super Smash Bros. games but with the same level of depth that keeps players coming back.

Ooohhh, I was thinking of in terms of the actual fighting and arena styles.
They are similar in those other ways. Thanks.

On the Anime side, I really only know Karas, which is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That many explanation points were necessary. Also, you should watch it if you haven't (only 6 episodes or so), but keep in mind: you'll have NO idea what's going on for like 3 episodes or more.

Wii only? Weak, was hoping for a x360 version.

On the reverse side, looks (graphics) exceptionally good for the Wii.

Online runs fine for me, if anyone's wondering. Sure, some matches are laggy but it really depends on the connection you and your opponent have, it can't break the laws of physics. Only issue I had so far is a lack of players, not many people on.

What's an important difference to MvC2 is that the characters are diverse (no clones even if the characters look similar and come from the same show, they all have different movesets) and apparently more balanced.

MaltesePigeon:
HELL YEAH. High five! And now I will point you all to this video

What, 5 hyper bars for a measly 30B damage?

El_Tordo:
To play as Yatterman...and did I see Ms. Dronio in the tittle screen?:D

Come on, where else can you run over your oponent with a giant mechanic dog with a bell around his neck?

Yep, Yatterman 1 and 2 and Doronjo are in the game. The giant dog can run the opponent over, sautee him with a flame breath or dispense a ton of robot crocodiles that crush the enemy.

going to buy this game simply because it has Tekkaman Blade in it and I ADORE that series.

Cassern and Karas are also big pros for me too.

Doesn't Cartoon Network on the H-B brand now? Does that mean in this hypothetical awesome game we could possibly have Samurai Jack or Dexter? (the cartoon boy with a lab not the sociopath detective.)

008Zulu:

Why can't the Wii have an exclusive fighter? We didn't get Street Fighter 4,Marvel vs Capcom 2, or the upcoming Super Street Fighter 4.

Aura Guardian:

008Zulu:

Why can't the Wii have an exclusive fighter? We didn't get Street Fighter 4,Marvel vs Capcom 2, or the upcoming Super Street Fighter 4.

It just because of Wii hate. I'm glad I got my Wii. I was getting sick of FPS after FPS after "Bioware RPG with more choices than you need"...

My Wii gives me some Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Onyx Oblivion:

Aura Guardian:

008Zulu:

It just because of Wii hate. I'm glad I got my Wii. I was getting sick of FPS after FPS after "Bioware RPG with more choices than you need"...

I love Muramasa.

Aura Guardian:

Onyx Oblivion:

Aura Guardian:

008Zulu:

I love Muramasa.

My current favorite Wii exclusive.

Onyx Oblivion:

Aura Guardian:

Onyx Oblivion:

Aura Guardian:

008Zulu:

I love Muramasa.

My current favorite Wii exclusive.

The Wii has a lot of good exclusives. People are blind though.

I dont hate the Wii, and personally I think console exclusivity is the worst idea right behind DRM.

Aura Guardian:

008Zulu:

Exclusivity always sucks. Console X owners gain nothing from a game appearing exclusively on X instead of X, Y and Z.

That many games aren't ported go the Wii despite the console's install base is thanks to Nintendo's decisions. It's unlikely that SFIV, for instance, would be easily ported on a platform so much lower in performance than the ones it was originally designed for.

Finally, if a good fighting game with an orthodox (digital) control scheme just "has" to be exclusive to some platform, then it would really be best if that platform was one that already has as many good fighting games as possible (at the moment, that's 360 or PS3 with a slight edge to the 360), so the gamer doesn't have to buy a separate stick for each platform. After all, a good stick easily costs twice as much as a new game. How many are prepared to invest that much for just TvC? The only relevant fighter on the Wii besides TvC is GGXX^C+ and I doubt it has much of a following. The Wii's stick selection isn't very good, either.

i love that tekkaman blade is on there i loved watching the show when i was little (it was called technoman in america and it came on right along with ronin warriors in the early- mid 90's) i dislike however that megaman x and zero from megaman zero are not in the game. zero from megaman zero was the most epic bot i ever seen or played with T-T

They really need to make Marvel vs Capcom 3!

Why do I get the feeling that Susan was playing as the little girl at the end?

I swear I could hear her saying: "my broomstick shoots rainbows! Eat my deadly rainbows of doom!"

Great review, but don't talk about Roll like that. XD I kick ass with her, and she WILL fuck you up with that broom if you don't take her seriously. All my friends learned that the very painful way. -insert evil laughter-

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here