Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Great review. Nice and funny, just the way I like it. I should have played as a sniper, sniping is usually my favourite thing in shooters, I can't believe I didn't think of it.

pretty good review.

He stole my thoughts for ME3 with regards to resource gathering.

FurinKazanNZ:
Hmm, flying around on jet packs... Giant wolves that shoot lasers.... *opens game maker*

Build a prototype dude, and email it to BioWare, with any luck we can get this in ME3.

Also, if anyone from BioWare is reading this thread, can you please please pretty please give us Thresher Maw pets in ME3/ME2 DLC? I promise to take good care of it and walk it often.

R.I.P commander gobbelcoque

Poomanchu745:

MiracleOfSound:
I never really get why Yahtzee complains about games being too easy when there are multiple difficulty settings.

He should try not issuing commands to the AI on Insanity and see how far he gets...

That is pretty much the feeling I had when watching this. Im guessing he played on normal or veteran by the way he talked about how easy it was. My first playthrough was on hardcore and there were a lot of fights that were a complete bitch. Plus the complaining about the combat system just seems like he is trying to fill space and add length. The combat is vastly improved and made the game absolutely awesome. But yes obviously everyone has been complaining about the scanning and mako so they really do need to figure out a 3rd option that really makes the game epic.

Yeah I finished it on Hardcore and am halfway through Insanity and it is utterly essential to steal your squad's powers off them and order them around constantly.

The system is a little bit dodgy though, they very often don't do what you tell them. It can get annoying.

qubit:

I didn't find mining horribly boring to be honest, but only because I found a great way to cheese the scanning (on 360) that triples the reticle speed while the accuracy of your readings remain the same (tap the left trigger at approximately half-second intervals, and if you're scanning right or left, rotate the planet with the right stick as you're doing so). It was still boring, mind you, just not the snore fest one would expect.

Also the combat really opens up if you play on Insanity as one of the less gun-savvy classes (I played as an Infiltrator on Insanity, where even a point-blank headshot from the Widow rifle with 50%-damage headshot upgrade isn't a guaranteed kill). You really start to appreciate your mass effect powers, and combining powers with your squad to double-team or triple-team a mook. The HeavyIncinerate/Warp/Lift combo quickly became my best friend on Insanity :P

Well I did use a similar process, but then my left trigger started doing this weird squeaky sound. I don't want to mash up my controller though. I decided to make minning only when neccesary. I also discovered that I ran out of money to acquire more probes, which made me go make a new playthrough. It still less painful than the Mako segments though.

As for combat, undoubtly, is way better than in the first game. At least your squad mates don't run in the way to block your view, and the weapons do real damage. I am playing it now in Veteran to get used for Insanity.

Woodsey:

Psychosocial:
Mass Effect 2, eh? Interesting, I'm really on the fence about buying the game, so let's see if Yahtzee can help me with this..

So after all the rave reviews you're basing your decision on the guy whose job it is to trash everything despite its quality?

Of course not, but I was merely stating how he MIGHT have something of value to say on the matter. He's not always wrong, y'know.

Best opening line ever!!!!!

Axolotl:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Axolotl:
Bioware games have good writing now?

Well they sure hid that in all the games I've played by them.

That's a nice business card you have there. I'm surprised you've kept it dry whilst living under that bridge.

What?

Don't give him a second thought. Just someone who thinks a differing opinion on a game he adores is trolling. I haven't played ME2, but as for DA:O, I will agree with your above statement. Not bad writing, but horribly generic writing.

Woodsey:

Psychosocial:
Mass Effect 2, eh? Interesting, I'm really on the fence about buying the game, so let's see if Yahtzee can help me with this..

So after all the rave reviews you're basing your decision on the guy whose job it is to trash everything despite its quality?

OT: Really good episode this time - definitely helps if you've played the games first.

I think Psychosocial was being sarcastic.
And as with all of Yahtzee's reviews, it works best if you've played as they are usually pretty biased and an opinion shouldn't be formed on the Yahtzee review.

WAHAHAHA the end is awsome.

Suskie:

I've beaten the game twice and I did a fair amount of mining both times, but I don't see any point in which you NEED to do it. Besides, if you import a ME1 profile or replay ME2 you get a resource bonus. I started my second playthrough with around 50,000 of each element, which was awesome.

the first time I imported my ME1 char I only got 2.5k, but on my second import I got the 50k+ I think it's only on the second play through, which makes sense.

but yeah the combat is miles above in quality then the first one, I actually have to worry about when to use powers unlike in the first one. My infiltrator could basically disable sheilds/powers/weapons and do 3/4 of their health with powers alone within 1-2 seconds.

but I love my second character... I forget the class, the one that's a mix of tech and biotic, freezing then bursting enemies with throw never gets old :D. Neither does seeing people fly off ledges/bridges.

LOL excellent review.

Still waiting for him to tear Dante's Inferno apart, but w/e.

Hafta say, the comparison to EVE was the funniest part of that one.

I mean, seriously, at least with EVE you can go do something interesting while you mine, in ME2 it's a freaking chore.

I thought he would rip it appart lol, but I was surprised to see him hiving bioware props for writing.

How about, instead of the scanning, you can fly down to the surface of the planet in the shuttle to mineral hotspots generated by algorithms. Kinda like elite's planets were. Alternitavely you can press an auto scan button for a lower reward. Still needs something to make it fun. HEY we haven't seen any shuttle fighters in this game.

I think this is the most blah review he has done for a while. The vitriol that inhabits most of his review is missing for the main point that it is a basically good or great game. However, the elephant that was in the room that he did nod to and then move on from is the lack of real nudity in the game. I am not saying that I want full frontal nudity in every game but the love scenes in this were tame in comparison with the first one. I would have much rather had the controversy back about this title and its relationships that finding that my R-rated game has PG-13 graphics when dealing with emotionally resonant relationships. That being said it is also oddly much more graphically sexual then the first game. (Fleet and Flotilla, Varren VD, My knees are suppose to bend that way) It is somewhat jarring to hear all this talk and then be left with a character who is mostly naked (Jack or Miranda(how tight is that thing)) for the entire game and not delivering on the emotional resonance you build in the story with a good love/sex scene. That would make the cuddling that is available afterwards make much more sense. Does it vaguely remind anyone else of twilight with this sex without sex?

s69-5:

Axolotl:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Axolotl:
Bioware games have good writing now?

Well they sure hid that in all the games I've played by them.

That's a nice business card you have there. I'm surprised you've kept it dry whilst living under that bridge.

What?

Don't give him a second thought. Just someone who thinks a differing opinion on a game he adores is trolling. I haven't played ME2, but as for DA:O, I will agree with your above statement. Not bad writing, but horribly generic writing.

Woodsey:

Psychosocial:

OT: Really good episode this time - definitely helps if you've played the games first.

I think Psychosocial was being sarcastic.
And as with all of Yahtzee's reviews, it works best if you've played as they are usually pretty biased and an opinion shouldn't be formed on the Yahtzee review.

Yeah, I did wonder if that was the case. I have seen a couple of people on here that were basing the purchase of a game solely on his "review" so I wasn't sure.

So, his only serious complaints were about the scanning and the fact that it's easy? (Although there's a simple solution for the latter, which goes by the name of "difficulty change".) The other stuff was plain nitpicking, he even confessed in that.

Wow. Looks like he really loved it.

Also, Yahtzee romanced Miranda instead of that annoying quarian = win.

Michael Atkinson molests dogs, eh? That's a new one.

Great vid Yahtzee.

Gareth Gobblecoque, how I missed that name

Awesome one Mr Yahtzee, I wholeheartedly agree with it all. Still love the game of course because, hey at least BioWare listened to SOME of the fans.

No more Mako? Done. Get it on with Tali and Garrus? You got it. Nitpicky weapons system? Goodbye.

Discrodia:
Hafta say, the comparison to EVE was the funniest part of that one.

I mean, seriously, at least with EVE you can go do something interesting while you mine, in ME2 it's a freaking chore.

Oh yes you can pick between floating rocks or more fucking floating rocks, fun!

Anyways apparently after Dark Void Yahtzee developed some sort of jet pack fetish; can't rly blame him after playing Dark void myself I also wish ME3 have those instead of the ME1 and 2 missing systems

That's pretty much the same reason I resented the removal of the jeep section. Sure, its physics weren't the best, but it did add a great feeling of substance to the universe. Mass Effect 2 has its (slightly enhanced) shooting gallery doing all the heavy lifting and then he comes back to the ship to play with his model train set - good analogy.

"Will nitpick for food"? Isn't that sort of exactly what you do already?

No complaint on QTEs? Who are you and what have you done with Yahtzee? That or he decided they worked in ME2. You didn't really need paragon or renegade to get mrs aids to take her top off, it was more so everyone survived at the end. Also, why the hell does shrink wrap exist?

You can tell he likes a game when all he can do is piss and moan about how the company did a good job. 70%: Not enough tits and resource mining, 10%: sniping rocks, and 20%: fine...you write a good story so fuck you for giving me so little to rant about.

orangeapples:
I was never a fan of the "create your own adventure" games. I'm playing video games because I don't want to have to think about it.

now to find that ME2 seems to have lost the "game" part and has become a movie version of those "choose your own adventure" books.

and lets face it, those books were never well written.

c'mon video games, when will you become games again?

And more chest high walls? Real Heroes don't need chest high walls, and sometimes they will tear those walls down to kill their enemy. Samus, Link, Mario, Kratos, Wander, the marine from Doom; all of them and more have said NO to chest high walls.

Sigh, this only comes from people that have no experience in bioware games.

The thing is, yes the game sorta (very loosely) is like a choose your own adventure games.

THE THING IS... bioware has so much talent that even though you expect the story to be less compelling due to not having a "canon" path, they outdo everyone else in the market even when other developers focus on a single path/branch for their story.

Thats how damn talented/good bioware is, they are able to make something harder to do and do it better than another company that has a easier format to work with but does it worse.

For instance I've played tons of JRPGS (last remnant/lost odyssey/FF/tales) and I would have to say that Mass Effect/ME2 both delivered a story that is not only better but more engaging than those JRPGS which are "suppose" to do better since their main purpose is to deliver a set story.

I second the Jet Pack and Laser Wolf idea. A game can never too many wolves that shoot lasers. Fun review, as usual. Though I must admit, I felt the DA:O review was funnier, but fantasy RPGs are a little too easy to take potshots at I suppose.

ShotgunSmoke:
So, his only serious complaints were about the scanning and the fact that it's easy? (Although there's a simple solution for the latter, which goes by the name of "difficulty change".) The other stuff was plain nitpicking, he even confessed in that.

Wow. Looks like he really loved it.

Also, Yahtzee romanced Miranda instead of that annoying quarian = win.

Umm, I don't know if it's such a good idea to puts words in Yahtzee's mouth like that. Let's just wait for his next Extra Punctuation column.

I knew it, overblown bland piece of shit just like the first one.

Sorry, good writing can't save a game, good gameplay can save a game but since that's not the case with ME2 I won't get it, there I said it!

Telperion:

A1:

But at the same time the Mass Effect franchise is still somewhat lacking when it comes to gameplay, although most RPG fans probably won't care all that much.

I must point out that ME 2 is not an RPG. It's a 3rd Person Shooter fest with the lightest of possible RPG elements stacked on top of a good storyline.

Umm, do you mean that in a good way or a bad way?

DAMN YOU, YAHTZEE.
I'd just accepted that Mr. Gobulcoque was never coming back! You bastard!

Did he say if he liked it or not?

Jetpacks would be an issue when exploring planets without an oxygen atmosphere. Because the fuel wouldn't be able to combust unless it used oxygen inside the pack intself, but then it would need to be huge.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here