Unskippable: Avatar

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

for someone who's name is actually ryder, this was pretty awesome. not to mention the commentary. sometimes its a little shaky but otherwise i think it's pretty solid

"Leave the shuttle quickly" translates to: "Walk leisurely out of the shuttle because we aren't big on formalities here."

As someone who owns and plays the game (on a semi regular basis) I think this game entertains me more than the movie. And if it entertains, you have a game (movie= observational entertainment, game= interactive entertainment)

The small size of the vid don't do the game justice. Sure it has it's little graphics nips but ingame, your heart can skip a beat sometimes (granted, not in the few cutscenes and if you can run the game on high settings, even Crysis looks like shit when on low or medium)

The game has the trademark flavor of rushed development and premature release, they wanted it our BEFORE the movie, and so they did. You can see it most when you compare some of the dialog to the mission objectives. It's clear a fair bit was cut to meet the deadline (most notably from the RDA storyline). Not to mention the multiplayer hasn't been given a proper balance overhaul.

As for backstory, you get most of it via your PandoraPedia. You basically can analyze every NPC and most plants for an article. Some are nice, some cheap. In the end I think that is WAY better than endless exposition from some NPC.

Thats got to be the worse game adaptation to a movie intro I have ever seen. This made the Lord of the Rings one look like a blockbuster hit :P

One of the funniest I have seen in a while.

"Your a fine specimen."
"You used to call me Princess!" <cry>

I wouldn't even have watched the whole scene, if it wasn't for the great comments. The game itself looks so awfull, just like the film, but with added bad graphs here and there. What a (possible) waste of money.

...Ashley Williams! That's it! Midori sounds like Ashley Williams from Mass Effect.

Oh, and good episode too.

jtesauro:
Is it just me, or was Kendra played by the same chick who did Ashley in Mass Effect? I got some serious deja vu from that show.

Yeah, I was expecting a quip about them being greeted by Gunnery Chief Ashley Williams. It never came.

Excellent episode, keep it up.

Laughed at the chocolate atmosphere bit. :)

How is it that a movie that had such amazing and fluid animation has a game with such stiff robotic movements? Can't Ubi afford to rent a mo-cap studio? Don't they have their own mo-cap studio?

JaredXE:
Wait, so in the game you DON'T get to play as the main character? Just faceless grunt #234787?

Nope. Apparently the game takes place years before the movies story.

This is a terrible-looking game. Are Ubisoft even trying anymore?

Apparently we aren't playing as the hero, Sigourney Weaver has been replaced by her withered clone, and it looks like no-one actually bothered to, you know, finish it before release. Scenery pop-ups that bad? In a cut scene? In 2010?

And yes, disappointment at not having a tutorial on how to walk and move when they actually could have justified it for once. Man, what a waste.

Yet another game that proves the rule: licensed games are never good.

lol your good great episode

Wow... that game looked terrible! It looked like they took anything that could have been interesting from the movie, cut out half the gorgeous scenery, then cut the already so-so dialogue down to this uninspired looking bland-fest. I mean, the movie wasn't the best plot-wise but this looks like it even lacks that. I must admit that a potential prequel to the world could be interesting (I assume that's what this is) but... ehg.

How does Prince of Persia - built on the SAME ENGINE as the Wii version - have better and more fluid cutscenes when it came out like seven years ago? To say nothing of Far Cry 2, the basis of the game engine for the other platforms?

And how does a movie with probably the most stunning groundbreaking visuals since The Matrix get translated into a game with such subpar rendering and character motion?

But then, I'm neglecting the in-game animation of the Enter the Matrix in saying that. Also horrible.

Good Lord, I still recall the silky smooth transitions from film footage to game-engine cutscene in Return of the King (also seven years old)! They couldn't even get THAT close?!?

This clip deserved a lot worse than you guys gave it. I am gobsmacked.

Mmm, chocolate atmosphere. The #1 productivity destroyer in the known galaxy!

LiquidGrape:
They seriously managed to render Sigourney Weaver unattractive?
- I don't know how the hell they did it, but that is one bloody impressive achievement.

Seriously. That almost destroyed my fantasy of a Sigourney Weaver/Jamie Lee Curtis threesome!

And now you know far, FAR more about me than you EVER wanted to. Happy nightmares, kids!

The Rogue Wolf:

LiquidGrape:
- I don't know how the hell they did it, but that is one bloody impressive achievement.

Seriously. That almost destroyed my fantasy of a Sigourney Weaver/Jamie Lee Curtis threesome!

And now you know far, FAR more about me than you EVER wanted to. Happy nightmares, kids!

...that actually sounds rather appealing.

RTR:
How Could James Cameron let this happen?

well he is running to the bank with phat stacks of cash and rolling in the sweet cars now he could not be bothered

Another great show! keep up the good work

Heh. Now I've got that scene from Futurama stuck in my head, where George Foreman's head hungrily consumes the hot burger grease draining from his patented grill. xD

jtesauro:
Is it just me, or was Kendra played by the same chick who did Ashley in Mass Effect?

Maybe that's why they're both so irritating.

I see the game falls far short of the movie. Say, isn't the main protagonist supposed to be in a wheelchair?? ...
Anyway good job guys.

Watching this thing is dangerous when you have a chest cold and start coughing whenever you laugh.

I am IN LOVE with Weaver. How she looked in this game is an afront to my affections... so it's a good thing I never played the game. :)

besayewich:

RTR:
How Could James Cameron let this happen?

well he is running to the bank with phat stacks of cash and rolling in the sweet cars now he could not be bothered

I'm hoping he invests those phat stacks into his next movie; Battle Angel (Alita). :)

Tarakos:
That rib at Microsoft was pretty cool.

I agree... I just hope Microsoft doesn't get wind because they will start doing that to their games.

As to be expected from the average video game based on a movie. Looks like a big steaming pile of crap. Terrible cinematics, crappy dialog, and visual effects so rushed they're an insult to the original work. You can tell they were just trying to capitalize on the popularity of the movie while it was still in theaters. Can't take home the movie? Take home this shitty game instead!

hehe, I laughed. A lot.

Not much to say other than great job! I love the series.

LiquidGrape:

The Rogue Wolf:

LiquidGrape:

...that actually sounds rather appealing.

Yeah, wow. Two of the hottest all-stars of horror, together in one room, naked, with me? Sign me up!

FoolKiller:

Tarakos:
That rib at Microsoft was pretty cool.

I agree... I just hope Microsoft doesn't get wind because they will start doing that to their games.

That is the future. Whether we like it or not it's bound to happen. Makes you miss the cartridge days, don't it?

So now we have "firsters" in Unskippable...sad day.
The world doesn't need more army cat people but it could use two more people from Tron.

Everyone winces inside out for Weaver. You see her ONCE during the opening cutscene and if you choose Na'vi, there won't even be a mention of Dr Augustine again. If you choose RDA you get a small "Hey, don't relax too much, this isn't over." speech via a radio. Never, between the start and the ending is she mentioned.

But, to each their own. Just FYI, the game would have been a LOT more "...mneh..." if we DID have to play as Sully. Recap the movie plot, I'd say the game's plot is, at places, a bit more chunky than that of the movie.

A reference to the lean, mean machine? Hahahaha.

Distorted Stu:
Maan that cut scene SUCKED!
Was there any footage from the film used int he game at all?

At least they didn't do THAT.

I think you guys really worked hard to do the best you could, but there wasn't a whole lot of material in this one worth poking fun at, really. I still chuckled a bit, though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here