Zero Punctuation: BioShock 2

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 16 NEXT

Though amusing, I'd say Yahtzee's review is more fluff than anything else. Bioshock 2's a fun game so far.

Hahaha, this is the best one in a long time. The beginning was an excellent ruse.

Maybe I've gone mad with midterms looming, but the intro's tempo sounds like it was brought down 3-5 BPM.

ninjajoeman:

Composer:
thank you for sticking to the actual game and avoiding its weird multiplayer.
ps anyone notice....first couple of posters werent banned!!!! :D a sign of maturing on the escapist community

or the immature are banned?

or dead.....hehehe

Oh god, this is the first in a while I've had a good laugh at.

solidstatemind:

Desert Tiger:

Quiet Stranger:

Dioxide20:
"GAHD DAMN SPLOICERS!"

Great review! Although I disagree, I felt that gameplay wise, this game was a massive step over the first. Story wise and atmosphere wise, the game did not even begin to compare to the original. Still, it was pretty cool to get the added backstory to Rapture.

Yeah as I said he's getting, well rather pathetic (all he does is complain)

I loved this game (though I'm trading it in so i cant get Metro 2033, also its only worth two playthroughs and I dont do Xbox Live anymore)

He's a critic. It's his job to complain. If he said that every single game was worth its weight in Branston Pickle then nobody would watch, would they?

No, he ceased to be a critic about the time he realized that he got more views when he slagged on something hard, rather than when he judiciously weighed the pros and cons of a game. He is now simply an entertainer who is focused on making people laugh rather than providing useful information in regards to whether or not buy a game to the community.

Edit: I realized that one might draw the conclusion that I am saying that's a bad thing he's just an entertainer. I'm not; just saying be careful how much authority you grant his rantings...

Agreed. Yahtzee's a comedian first and reviewer second. Though a very funny comedian, I have to say. I do enjoy his videos. =D

I've been wondering, Yahtzee: what multiplayer games DO you like? I agree with you that single-player should be the most important aspect of a game (unless we're talking about Team Fortress 2 or Smash Bros Brawl or something like that), but it is fun to game with friends every so often. So when the occasion calls for it, what do you consider a good multiplayer game?

kenji8055:

In all honesty YZ's style is consistent, only a few times has he brought up a game that he personally loves and thats usually at a time when there are no new games to review. Think of these as commercial breaks.

And in all honesty are you telling me that you buy a game based on YZs opinion? Two things, firstly most people who were going to get this game had already got it thanks to the Aussie ability to always be behind on release dates and secondly if your just going on what an internet reviewer says instead of thinking for yourself then you deserve to only play the miniscule number of games he recommends. Just because he doesn't like them doesn't mean that you won't enjoy them.

I in no way base my decision to purchase a game upon Internet reviewers. (Some do, however; that is exactly what I was warning against.) That does not mean that I find reviews to be completely without value, however. An example: there was a game which Yahtzee complained heavily involved QuickTime Events. I factored that information in to my overall purchasing decision, because I loathe QTEs.

Anyway, I actually also disagree with him calling the new hacking a 'QuickTime Event.' Sure it resembles one, but it's no more a QTE than, say, Duck Hunt.

QTE= button press instruction flashes on screen; press button within a discrete time limit or game ends.

Hacking= you are presented with a scrolling field. You must press the spacebar to coincide with a certain area on the scrolling field to be successful, and you only have a certain number of passes to accomplish this.

Big difference.

Great review yet again Yahtzee!

I finished Bioshock 2 as well a few weeks ago and I can say that I liked it more than the first one although the plot wasn't that deep.

I disapprove with the hacking part though,it is -way- better and easier than in Bioshock 1 and I don't think it can be considered as a QTE as you stated.

Nooners:
I've been wondering, Yahtzee: what multiplayer games DO you like? I agree with you that single-player should be the most important aspect of a game (unless we're talking about Team Fortress 2 or Smash Bros Brawl or something like that), but it is fun to game with friends every so often. So when the occasion calls for it, what do you consider a good multiplayer game?

Adding a multiplayer aspect to a single player game is just money-wrangling. Especially when Games for Windows LIVE gets a cut of the sales.

Can't wait till I can play as a vending machine!

I honestly liked the plot to this one more than the first... And I thought it was more fun as well, but whatever. Everyone has an opinion! Seems like people agree with Yahtzee before trying the game though =P

I kinda hope he does No More Heroes 2. Don't know why, just want to hear him try to find something to complain about.

Sansha:

Nooners:

Adding a multiplayer aspect to a single player game is just money-wrangling. Especially when Games for Windows LIVE gets a cut of the sales.

I honestly LOVE Bio2 online. I have a few complaints, sure, but it's FUN. A hell of a lot more fun then MW2.
Then again, I had it for PS3. But still complaining about what it plays through is petty. I know Steam is WAY better, but the game is still fun.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who hates those fucking defense missions.

Funny review. Yahtzee, you have and still are the key block to why I come to escapist. Go Commonwealth.

Nooners:

Oh .. you don't know Yhatzee !!! ... he hates playing with other people ... he already expressed that several times ... so i don't think he really cares about the multiplayer aspect in Bioshock 2 .. or any other game for the matter (regardless of how good or fun it is).. he is the "single player" type.

Sansha:

Have to really disagree ... sometimes it adds a lot to the game specially if done right ... see Uncharted 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 .... they were both single player games and adding mulitplayer in the sequels made them just better .. it's like saying all sequels are bad .. Not true either ... just plain uninformed generalization .. yeah some add multiplayer or make sequels to "cash-in" but that doesn't make every sequel or added multiplayer bad by default ... seriously.

I gotta say I'm just disappointed at this point.
I have Bioshock 2, I've played through it on hard mode for the 4th time now, it's not that annoying as Ben here makes it out to be, as he's said the right plasmid /tonic combination will make the game easy peasy in itself, and even a whacked out one (say, nothing but insect swarm) is still fine.

Just saying it's terrible at this point, zero punctuation was fun back in the begining pointing out in a very caring yet insulting fashion the ins and outs to the game, good and bad.

Seems now it's just "This sucks, everything sucks, I hate you", the attitude is gone and replaced with nothing more than troll spew from a starcraft pros mouth shouting "F***ING NEWB DIE IN A FIRE" in the starcraft 2 beta.

I do hate to say it, but I fear that Yatzee has gone from professional troll to little more than forum trash troll.

Only thing that bugged me with Bioshock 2 is multiplayer. "What's that? you were thinking about playing this wonderful game with all your friends? NO, YOU WILL GO ONLINE AND BUY GOLD MEMBERSHIP AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!"

the line about playing as a vending machine cracked me up XD

I totally wanna see him shred Star Trek Online. I know he hates MMOs but the fans couldnt even cry "you didnt join a corp/fleet" like they did in EVE since you can solo the entire game lol

I don't care what you think, Yahtzee, playing as a vending machine will REVOLUTIONIZE GAMING AS WE KNOW IT.

nice terry pratchett reference in there.

Playing the game atm although only in bits an peices, I may have well just played the first again tbh. I think I've been spoiled having played mass effect 2, modern combat 2 and arkham asylum recently mind.

Good review, always funnier when the games a bit bab. Stay away from reviewing games you like, it just isnt as funny :D

EDIT
btw, anyone notice no sound the circus of value machines. They didnt seem the same without it. Perhaps that will be the basis of the story when you play as one...

PayJ567:
Ha, That was pretty funny review. Still mabye a bioshock prequel would have worked a lot better?

Thats what I thought, it would prevent the annoying retconning, and would flesh out the decay of the town that the fans are not doubt ripping their hair out over right now... does releasing one good game reduce IQ or somthing? if the fans can come up with this stuff, why can't professionals?

Stop crying you bitch! I'm trying to eat these cakes!

Demongeneral109:

PayJ567:
Ha, That was pretty funny review. Still mabye a bioshock prequel would have worked a lot better?

Thats what I thought, it would prevent the annoying retconning, and would flesh out the decay of the town that the fans are not doubt ripping their hair out over right now... does releasing one good game reduce IQ or somthing? if the fans can come up with this stuff, why can't professionals?

I guess they are paid to be fools and create games people don't like. This is the only logical explanation. Hey at least the hype was good... right?... right?

I love it when a shitty game like this comes out, it makes Zero Punctuation all the more fun to watch.

The first Bioshock was great and all but about half way through it got so boring. For me, story is important and it seems so half asses with Bioshock.

I'm already bored of the second one and I've only looked at the case.

Wow, that part about defending little sisters, being the absolute worst part about Bioshock 1, was right on the money. And that is also the reason why im a little hesistant to get this one.

uh would just like to point out that you dont have to take a little sister to to corpses to save her you can take her straight to the vents its only the first time you save one you have to do that. also the prototype big daddy is more efficent because (as it is explained in game) Gil alexander had to sacrifice fighting effeciency in newer models in order to make big daddys not wander off from little sisters, nowere near as good as the first game but two of his major complaints simply werent valid

I like what Yahtzee has to say about sequels here. As to the rest, I don't know anything about the Bioshock series except that my friend bought the first one and was really interested in it at first, but lost interest in it quickly.

Wow, that part about defending little sisters, being the absolute worst part about Bioshock 1, was right on the money. And that is also the reason why im a little hesistant to get this one.

Hunter.Wolf:

Nooners:

Oh .. you don't know Yhatzee !!! ... he hates playing with other people ... he already expressed that several times ... so i don't think he really cares about the multiplayer aspect in Bioshock 2 .. or any other game for the matter (regardless of how good or fun it is).. he is the "single player" type.

You misunderstand me. I've seen every episode of ZP more than once, and read every XP, so I know that Yahtzee hates multiplayer in general. And I imagine that he hated Bioshock 2's multiplayer component as well. Let me restate my question a little clearer: Yahtzee, when you do have your friends over, what do you all like to play together? What games DO work well from a multiplayer aspect?

One of the best reviews so far.

Wow, when Yahtzee mentioned how a quicktime eventmade the game better I looked out the window expecting fire to rain from the sky. No such thing off course, probably since it's one of those ESTREMLY rare cases where the quick time event is preferable to something else. (Like the tube-minigame from the first game, after three hackings I got sick of it. In the sequel it took seven.)

FallenMessiah88:

It's not that bad, your given more trap powers/weapons for a start, and you can hypnotise/summon bots.
gathering is easy.

When the idea of a Bioshock sequel was announced, I remember saying to myself and this forum, "Er why? What needs to be continued from the first one? I'm fairly sure that Bioshock one was neatly tied up with a pretty bow. There isn't anything you can do!"

But, over the last year or so I've been suckered into the hype of the game, with the awesome looking gameplay clips and such.

While I'll probably buy the game, just because, it's good to see Yahtzee agrees with my initial opinion of Bioshock 2.

Bioshock 2 is dead to me because of the Ocean...

*brrrrrr*

But it suffers from the whole prequel business, how can you make the prequels better without making the sequels look cheap in comparison?

And Bioshock 3, you control the little sisters, obviously.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here