Stolen Pixels #175: Ubisoft!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Gordon Frohman referance or jsut coincidence.

paketep:
Daikatana?. I thought Duke Nukem Never was a bigger joke.

Incidentally that game's initials are DNF, Did Not Finish, in the racing world. (=

One of the bigger and more valid arguments Ubi is getting at the moment is at the hand of Russian/Polish gamers who have ISP's that charge them per bandwidth, so Ubi is essentially causing their bills to go up to play what is supposed to be a single player, non online capable game.

Sure DRM *could* work here in the US, in theory, but in implementation well, I suppose we're looking at the Chernobyl of video gaming. Their short-sightedness is going to hopefully do them in, and make way for a company that actually gives a shit about its customers.

Abedeus:

Daystar Clarion:
I don't game on PCs so I don't really understand how bad DRM is. My condolences for all the hard working PC gamers that are up to their arm-pits in Ubisoft failure.

Your internet stops working?

Can't play.

You lose connection?

Your game freezes.

THEIR server crashes?

HAHAHAHHAHHAHH lol you lost $50.

Wow, really? Isn't that hurting the people who actually buy the game more than the pirates?

This is what happens when people pirate everyone else suffers.
stupid PC pira.... never mind.

Hee hee, I bet if you look up 'stupid' in the dictionary, you'd find Ubisoft's logo next to it.

Yes thank you Ubisoft, you'll be the butt of jokes for many years to come.

Daystar Clarion:

Abedeus:

Daystar Clarion:
I don't game on PCs so I don't really understand how bad DRM is. My condolences for all the hard working PC gamers that are up to their arm-pits in Ubisoft failure.

Your internet stops working?

Can't play.

You lose connection?

Your game freezes.

THEIR server crashes?

HAHAHAHHAHHAHH lol you lost $50.

Wow, really? Isn't that hurting the people who actually buy the game more than the pirates?

I'm fighting with a terrible, surging urge to respond with a snippy, ironic comment. So, yes, it is hurting more the legal players.

Jandau:

vivaldiscool:
There is currently a crack that allows you to play the game, it works by connecting to the ubi servers, but it bypasses the need to register with a serial number, so anyone can do it.

However, it's still being worked on, because partway through it starts encountering game breaking bugs, similar to the drunkeness bug in GTA4 or the no-flight bug in Batman Arkahm asylum.

That's the thing - it's not finished, is it? As I said, I'm quite confident that it will get cracked or bypassed sooner or later, but at the moment it's doing its work quite well. Also, I only counted the results from major torrent sites, since that's where most people go to get their pirating on. If something is half-finished in some corner of the net, it doesn't really count as far as mass pirac goes.

Basically, it will get cracked, but Day 1 piracy is stopped and that's as good as it gets when it comes to DRM. Ubisoft seems to have won, or at least not lost. Sales figures will have tell the rest of the story.

I've been hearing from people who downloaded the cracked version, and some of them are saying they can play it all the way through perfectly fine. I'm tempted to see for myself but...must...resist.

Well said, and yeah, Ubisoft is retarded.

Daikatana = An individual's arrogance.
Duke Nukem Forever = A corporation's incompetence.
Ubisoft's DRM = A corporation's arrogance+incompetence.

swaki:
theres no prof of the brilliant innovative drm being cracked, and the server crash only affected 5% of the consumers, and it was the European customers, who cares about those drunk cheese eaters.

Yes, all Europeans are stereotypical French people.

Anyway, I don't own a PC but I always found this whole DRM thing to be ridiculous. Not because they've gone to such great lengths to protect their games from being stolen, no I actually have some respect for Ubisoft for that. It's just so moronic that they went to such great lengths and it didn't even work!

Daikatana, ahhh how you bombed. But yes, even Daikatana's stupidity can't quite compare to Ubisoft's act of sheer, sheer stupid.

RNunez:

So would we all just say Daikanukemsoft from now on?

Poor n00bisoft... I mean Ubisoft

carpathic:
Another reason that Ubisoft is permanently off my "to buy" list.

That and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Unlike Darkstar's picture above, that game was made of fail.

Dark Messiah was a failure? This is news to me. Now I'm not sure how to explain the fun I had while playing it.

Ubisoft, cracking themselves in the face with a hammer for our amusement since 2010.

Jandau:

vivaldiscool:
There is currently a crack that allows you to play the game, it works by connecting to the ubi servers, but it bypasses the need to register with a serial number, so anyone can do it.

However, it's still being worked on, because partway through it starts encountering game breaking bugs, similar to the drunkeness bug in GTA4 or the no-flight bug in Batman Arkahm asylum.

That's the thing - it's not finished, is it? As I said, I'm quite confident that it will get cracked or bypassed sooner or later, but at the moment it's doing its work quite well. Also, I only counted the results from major torrent sites, since that's where most people go to get their pirating on. If something is half-finished in some corner of the net, it doesn't really count as far as mass pirac goes.

Basically, it will get cracked, but Day 1 piracy is stopped and that's as good as it gets when it comes to DRM. Ubisoft seems to have won, or at least not lost. Sales figures will have tell the rest of the story.

So I guess for now pirates can play exactly as much as people who paid for it =D

Btw no, well dome DRM is meant to stop piracy period. We all know this. It's nowhere near good enough to stop it for a week or two.

Once again, Assassins Creed 2 PC has no working crack yet.

Shamus Young:

Congratulations, Daikatana: You're no longer the biggest joke in gaming.

Read Full Article

Small quibble: Lemmings don't actually run off cliffs, that's a myth, and the 1958 wilderness documentary that depicted such an event was staged by the film crew.

Otherwise I found today's Stolen Pixels to be hilarious, and now I want to go re-read Concerned. Thanks a bunch!

Xavier78:

RNunez:

So would we all just say Daikanukemsoft from now on?

I like where you are going with this. I am going to start using this before it gets cool so I can say I was saying it before it was cool to do it.

dochmbi:
Once again, Assassins Creed 2 PC has no working crack yet.

TBF, AC2 PC has no working game yet.

ark123:
So I guess for now pirates can play exactly as much as people who paid for it =D

Hah! Good one! :D

I feel like Flagship's arrogance & incompetence is somehow missing in that comic strip... ;)

Shamus Young can be..... sort of.........funny..........at times.

He annoys me a little that he produces several comics and writes weekly articles, all of which are average or worse and few of which make extensive(Stolen Pixels being the main offender)of G-mod, and on the Escapist appears to be recognized as an "Industry elite".

Outside the Escapist,he is no one compare him to REAL elites such as Peter Molyneux, Cliffy B, Gabe Newell, Shigeru Miyamoto(I think that is spelt right),Randy Pitchford,Greg Zeschuk, Todd Howard and many more.

My point here is(and excuse the terrible analogy) that if the Escapist has a Camel, they shouldn't say it is a horse.

The sidebar commentary was funnier than the comic this time. I especially liked the line "Ubisoft went over this cliff because they decided that going over a cliff was a now a core part of their business plan."

Keep up the good work

Daystar Clarion:

Is that a joke? That has to be a joke... or at least sarcasm, right?

Every single DRM ever has hurt the people who buy the games more than the pirates.

SultanP:

Daystar Clarion:

Is that a joke? That has to be a joke... or at least sarcasm, right?

Every single DRM ever has hurt the people who buy the games more than the pirates.

I know the general idea of DRM, but I'm a console gamer so I never really looked into it much. I've had a little poke around the interwebs and I've come to the conclusion that companies like Ubisoft don't like money, whether it be to pirates or to people who simply don't want to put up with this DRM shit.

Shamus Young:

Congratulations, Daikatana: You're no longer the biggest joke in gaming.

Read Full Article

Best punchline ever :D

johnman:
Gordon Frohman referance or jsut coincidence.

I made sure to not use male7 model so it wouldn't be Gordon. :)

Brad Shepard:

Jordi:

Brad Shepard:
Ok, im not a PC gamer, so i dont know the deal with DRM, and someone, please tell me if im wrong, but DRM is what keeps dickheads from pirating the game right? if that is correct, the i support DRM, because the companys need to watch there asses too, the last game i remember not having DRM was Demigod, and only 1 out of every 10 had a legit copy, so you want to play the game bad enought where you dont want to buy your own copy and steal it, thus helping doom the developers to have to shut down, and killing any chance of more games you like from them.

i will end this by saying, dont start a flame war, its too early in the morning for me to get pissed off.

Ever thought of a career at Ubisoft? They seem to have the same ideas about DRM as you do.

In case you're really as unknowing as you appear to be: DRM is supposed to keep people from pirating the game, but it has never worked once in the history of the world. Crackers just remove/circumvent it and as a result only the people with a legitimate copy suffer.

BTW: what is so bad about Daikatana?

Thanks for explainting that to me.

OT: isent ubisoft fail anyway? as far as i know, there surviving on Parkor games right now, and nothing else.

Silent Hunter has though.

The text was far funnier then the comic.

Ion Storm attempted to set the world record at diving and failed when they smacked their face off the diving board. Ubisoft set out to hit their face on the diving board, and succeeded.

Daikatana - the game I bought for $2 and felt cheated.

And in every interview, Ubisoft was so smug and righteous about their incredible new DRM. And to make it worse... they blamed this server crash on the PLAYERS for their 'exceptional demand.' Get your tar and feathers, PCers... you've definitely earned the right to use them.

I ind it more hilarious to watch people attacking Ubosoft as if the DRM had personally killed there fathers and raped there mothers right in front of them. The amount of overblown rage and prompt is almost satirical in its over-the-topness. It wound up being bad, yes, but it's not "ZOMG! THE END OF PC GAMEING! UBISOFT IS THE DEVILZ!" It was an idea that is kind of a logical step... internal codes are static and can be cracked over time, sever control ensures that hackers don't get the access or time needed to crack, it's just not not really practical. I have the feeling that a whole team of developers is crying right now since there game is getting scorned for something they couldn't control.

Edit: Why do I suddenly hear Ubisoft! as I hear the word KKHHHAAANNNN!!

Jandau:

Ramifications: Ubisoft's DRM works, at least for now. It will get cracked eventually, but they managed to combat Day 1 piracy, which is the worst type.

Apparently, they have also managed to successfully combat Day 1 paying customers as well...

I believe that this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U43Ate3Itjs&feature=related Accurately sums up my feelings for Ubisoft.

In other news, retarded monkeys have begun a political action group to express their unhappiness with gamers continuously comparing Ubisoft to them. The name of this group is the Monkey Displeasure-Expressing Committee, which they have shortened to DWERF.

...look, they're retarded monkeys, cut them a little slack.

Blackbird71:

Jandau:

Ramifications: Ubisoft's DRM works, at least for now. It will get cracked eventually, but they managed to combat Day 1 piracy, which is the worst type.

Apparently, they have also managed to successfully combat Day 1 paying customers as well...

Kapow, bull's-eye. Your average gamer doesn't care if pirates, Vikings or aliens are attacking Ubisoft's servers. What they care about is that they plunked down more than half a hundred dollars for a game they cannot play through no fault of their own. Ubisoft has let their attempt to save current sales sabotage future ones- after all, if you bought a game from someone and couldn't play it, would you trust that company when they release their next game?

Inuprince:

Hopefully Ubisoft will realize that there only scaring away customers and for games that are console ports and arrive almost a half year later they really shouldn't make it more uncomfortable.

And hopefully unicorns will fall from the sky and blood will become ice cream.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here