Preview: Crysis 2 Blowing Up Consoles in New York City

Pages PREV 1 2 3

The 360 screenshots look horrible, I'm sorry to say it, but they do. Jaggies everywhere and odd textures. The game is built upon using a powerful rig to run it, utilising every graphical enhancement available while the 360 just doesn't have the ability to run it too well. Though, I've been corrupted by /v/ so not entirely sure what to think of it.

Also, does Tessellation work on a 360?

Dommyboy:
Also, does Tessellation work on a 360?

No. The PS3 had the option of doing it via software with linux until last week.

brb changing my pants

New York? Again? Can't developers pick (on) another city for a change?

Is it really too much to ask to be able to, for example, fuck shit up in a European city outside of a WW2 game?

Quiet Stranger:

Gladion:
New York again, wonderful. Well, you better be fucking blowing up Lady Liberty or else I'll get to your HQ and set it on fire.

Is this the kind of game where you can blow up anything?

I was talking about the developers. They should blow up the statue, at least in a cutscene.
But that doesn't matter because this shooter looks so generic and standardized I'd say "yes, this is the kind of game where you can blow up stuff".

Mcface:
As Alister would say; Right, very creepy.

I beg your pardon?

Asehujiko:

Sh0ckFyre:
Said terrorist attack was a day that shook America to its core. And have you heard of Fort Ticonderoga? The Bennington battlefield? Or how about Oriskany? So YES there have been major military engagements in New York. Do your research.

I seriously hope you realize how arrogant of a statement you just made. Did you know that the trailer in its entirety was rendered in real time? Did you ALSO know that on www.sosnewyork.com there are in-engine screenshots? Also, on g4tv.com there is another trailer featuring a tech demo set in the New York setting. Also, I'd like to point out the link to your Youtube video was based on the 2009 GDC tech demo, not the latest 2010 build seen in the video I mentioned on g4tv.com. So don't fucking tell me what I have or haven't see you arrogant fuck.

You were specifically talking about new york city and not the rest of the state in your last post. Thats like saying the battle of Passchendaele took place in Brugges because they are both in West-Vlaanderen. I looked over all the things you mentioned and you seem to be confused by what's a promotional image and an ingame screenshot.
[spoiler]http://lostmoya.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/crysis-screenshot-2.jpg[/soiler]
This is a promotional image. Note how the shadows have a much higher resolution then what the game supports, there is depth of field that isn't ingame, the car is launched up by an explosion, which doesn't happen ingame and nomad is in a pose that he can't take ingame. And since this picture isn't taken from nomad's perspective, we can assume that it's multiplayer, which doesn't support the physics for blowing up the fence behind the car. Tl:dr version: It's fake. Until we have a screenshot fro a third party for comparison, you can't rely on the official material. And your video is staged as well. Most of it isn't even ingame, as can be seen by the lack of an UI or the camera which is very clearly not attached to a character for the most part. Also, look a bit more closely at the "real time lighting" part. Notice how the shadows update at roughly half the fps as the rest of the scene and the fire are very clearly not light sources, which was one of the complaints mentioned in my video.

Please tell me how that video is staged. Do you know how many videos, tech demos, and promotional in-game materials represent the finished product, sans the UI? That one out-of-body shot where it shows characters avoiding gunfire and taking gunfire, is to show off the AI. And granted the shadows update at half the frame rate, its showing how the lighting is done in real time.

Also, your promotional image is from the first game, which also lacks the sunshine/god rays, and it looks like the texture resolution on the road could be a little bit better. The fact is that its from 2006/2007 which renders it invalid.

vivaldiscool:
I heard elsewhere that they mentioned they were taking storytelling cues from Valve's Half-life 2 and L4D, is there any truth to that statement or is it just hearsay?

Also, I loved the first crysis with a passion (Beyond just the graphics.) so this is absofuckinglutely awesome.

Well why not take pointers from Valve? I agree with you on the first game, the only thing wrong was the sub-par storytelling.

This looks like it will improve upon anything the devs felt that the first one fell short on.

aemroth:

Sh0ckFyre:
I think this will be up there in terms of legendary games.

And quite honestly, I think EVERYONE and their MOTHER would appreciate it if those PC fanboys would stop bitching about how there's no trees for their GTX50000000 to render. Because it seemed like FarCrysis was just something pretty to look at. Crysis 2 is all about how deep the rabbit hole goes. Its not just some island in the middle of the ocean your fighting for, your going to be defending an entire country. Specifically, your country. And if that isn't personal enough, having to defend the legendary center of an entire nation that has withstood attacks time and time again, I don't know what is.

Also, Crysis 2 looks prettier.

I'm a PC fanboy, and i'm not bitching, it's not my country, and i have no idea what attacks are you talking about, as the US never suffered a World War in their own territory. So: lolwut? :P

Did you forget Pearl Harbor?

I'm pumped as hell for Crysis 2, I played the first (I never heard my computer get so loud before in my life......but oddly enough the game's performance was really good lol)....however I totally am going to take advantage of the console availability (probably PS3.....I loves me realistic looking games on that mofo.....and it would be nice to give my xbox a break (esp with Red Dead Redemption Alan Wake and such coming out it is going to be chugging away like a mofo)).....sorry went off track......but yeah woot Crysis 2.......woot not having to gently massage my pc and give it water bottles and hugs

PS
regarding never having a World War in the US' backyard, he means a full out War being fought on our soil with devastation equal to WWI (France was completely decimated and economically fudged (even with the money and land they pumped out of Germany)) WWII Russia, Germany, France and China all had the worst of the war on their soil and it took many years for them to rebuild. Pearl Harbor and 9/11 were just attacks on our soil, not an actual invasion/battle we had to fend off. The War of 1812 was the last foreign war we had to actually defend our states from a foreign invader (the last one with land we actually owned....there were cases after with our territory)
sorry the history buff in me got out :-P

It looks nice. Personally don't care about the graphics, but the Crytek 3 sounds impressive I guess.
Since my computer is functionally retarded I'm glad this is coming out on 360.
I won't have to drive all the way out to some prick's house just to play it like I did the first one...

Echo136:

aemroth:

Sh0ckFyre:
I think this will be up there in terms of legendary games.

And quite honestly, I think EVERYONE and their MOTHER would appreciate it if those PC fanboys would stop bitching about how there's no trees for their GTX50000000 to render. Because it seemed like FarCrysis was just something pretty to look at. Crysis 2 is all about how deep the rabbit hole goes. Its not just some island in the middle of the ocean your fighting for, your going to be defending an entire country. Specifically, your country. And if that isn't personal enough, having to defend the legendary center of an entire nation that has withstood attacks time and time again, I don't know what is.

Also, Crysis 2 looks prettier.

I'm a PC fanboy, and i'm not bitching, it's not my country, and i have no idea what attacks are you talking about, as the US never suffered a World War in their own territory. So: lolwut? :P

Did you forget Pearl Harbor?

Do you really want to compare one military base with the devastation brought to Warsaw, Dresden, Rotterdam, Coventry, Budapest, Liverpool, Prague, Vienna, etc, not to mention the obvious ones like Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Berlin, London, Paris, etc? The list could go on, but is there really a comparison to be made? Events like Pearl Harbor and 9/11 are tragic, yes, but they are a tad blown out of proportion simply because they represent disruptions to the American notion of homeland inviolability. But in truth, both in territory and military and specially civilian losses, americans are lucky for not knowing what devastation really means.

This said, i have no problem with Crytek choosing New York, it truly is an iconic city, and an appropriate setting. And i look forward to seeing where they go with it. I was just pointing out what i felt was an historically incorrect sentence.

I'm staying neutral even if i love the first Crysis. I just have a feeling in my gut that EA will fuck it up with always-online DRM.

Really interesting - that thing he said about the function is storytelling in video games is quite quotable. A lot of MMO designers could benefit from having that concept shoved down their throat.

Snotnarok:
Hey guy in super suit, you might want to turn around because your friends are being murdered and you're being emo.

Looks neat, then again this is a video and not in game, hopefully it has better driving than the first. I'd rather see gameplay rather than a super soldier pouting over a photo, because lets be honest Crysis=/=Story.

I think in this one, they aren't your friends anymore.

This actually sent a shiver down my spine 0.o

Really? New York is a symbol of pride for all of humanity? If I were to pick an American city to be a point of pride it would be Atlanta, Georgia, because that's where Doctor King was born.

If they were picking a point of human pride, why not Rome? Or London? Paris? I'm not really against it, but I do not feel any more motivated to save that screeching, smelly, over-crowded, energy-sucking, McDonalds-on-every-block city than any other city.

:'] screw Cysis 1, I is hoping in on the deepend

Nomad you asshole. You let all those guys get slaughtered. Oh, and the girl singing it is Polly Scattergood.

Grayjack:
Nomad you asshole. You let all those guys get slaughtered. Oh, and the girl singing it is Polly Scattergood.

They probably work for Crynet, you're against them in Crysis 2.

AC10:

Grayjack:

Maybe, but I have a hard time believing they didn't see him standing in the middle of an abandoned street.

"That's why he decided to set the game in the streets of the most iconic city in the world, New York City."

Yeah, bullshit. New York has been horribly overdone in both games and movies, why not use some originality and pick a new setting.
It's one of the places I'd least like to visit.

KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life:
Really? New York is a symbol of pride for all of humanity? If I were to pick an American city to be a point of pride it would be Atlanta, Georgia, because that's where Doctor King was born.

If they were picking a point of human pride, why not Rome? Or London? Paris? I'm not really against it, but I do not feel any more motivated to save that screeching, smelly, over-crowded, energy-sucking, McDonalds-on-every-block city than any other city.

Pretty much this!

Grayjack:

AC10:

Grayjack:

Maybe, but I have a hard time believing they didn't see him standing in the middle of an abandoned street.

Maybe they were trying to run away? I dunno.

when will crytek ever figure out that fighting humans in their games was way way way way more fun than whatever monster du jour they could come up with?

Greg Tito:
Richard Morgan spoke of the importance of 9/11 that he felt on a global level. "Something that got lost in the bullshit Bush-ite nationalist storm that blew up afterwards was that people on my side of the Atlantic, what we were all saying was, 'Look, an attack on New York, that's not an attack on America, that is an attack on the whole human race.'"

He's completely wrong. It was not an attack on the human race, merely on the hegemonistic culture that prevents the majority of people calling someone like Richard Morgan an idiot for making a statement like this in the first place. The only reason that New York has primacy in modern fiction is that the money is in pleasing the American market. Becaus their films and tv are exported everywhere, the public consciousness of NY is raised, and so it becomes the de facto go-to city. It doesn't ACTUALLY represent the whole world, and frankly, I'm a bit tired of it. Shame that the end of the American world empire won't come before I die.

I really liked the trailer. At first I thought "Oh wow, a creepy girl singing a song, how original." But instead of cutting off, it kept if going the whole time. If they had drew back the breathlessness of the singer just a tad, it would have been the best trailer ever.

New York is an interesting setting, filled whith skyscrapes capable for destruction of epic proportions. Though I'd say that the way to put the game in its own place would be to have something different rather then the same place we've already seen in almost every media atleast a hundred times already. Famous games like Half Life 2 has made this approach, basically taking place in a ruined post-Soviet eastern Europe. You could probably see alot of symbolic value in City 17, but my main point is that Valve didn't choose an exotic place like South America, the Middle East, East Asia or USA. Instead they choosed a sterile, mundane city, a place we wouldn't normally reffer with an alien invasion (Damn you, America-oriented Hollywood!) and managed to bring it to life in such a beautiful way despite the simple gameplay concept.

We need to support game projects stepping upon new ground more extensively if we are to escape from this never-ending river of repetitive shooters and settings!

AC10:

Grayjack:

AC10:

Grayjack:

Maybe they were trying to run away? I dunno.

I don't think those guys were Crynet. They had the same uniforms the military guys had in the first game. I bet Crynet soldiers' uniforms are all black with red visors :P

Hahahaah IM SO PSYCHED UP RIGHT NOW!!!(No not really, not one bit)

But i will give kudos to crytek on the cinematic. A somber post apocalyptic feel accentuated by a sweet melody fitting for the scene.

Hahahaha im also impressed with the, "If i have to defend a city, it would be new york!" thing they got.

Let's see if they can pull another one off, good graphics aside...

I don't see it as being as good as the first since it looks like you are only fighting aliens, and when the aliens showed up in the first one is when the game went to shit.

PipBoy2000:
Hey, this looks even better than the first...

That wouldn't be hard.

QuickDEMOL1SHER:
That wouldn't be hard.

I meant visually :)
I agree that the story of the first blew goats.

You know....I always wanted to see a game do that sort of fight for freedom in Philadelphia. The birthplace of the American revolution, the irony would be just so delicious.

The 'muscles' on the suit (especially the calves) look hugely over sized, they were better in the last game as the suit was more hugging/slimming and natural.

This game looks fucking good though

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or