Escape to the Movies: Kick-Ass

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Won't see it because of the "McLovin" character. Screw that kid.

I hear everyone saying this film is really gory, but i just can't picture it!

Kids and gory violence just don't go together in my imagination xD

All other trailers / reviews / hype / controversy aside, I desperately wanted to see this movie based solely on this trailer

TomOfTheCross:
Saw it last week, one of the best movies in a long time.
Best character has to be Big Daddy, Hit-Girl was awesome but not as awesome.
Also has anyone read the review which the Daily Mail did on this?
If not here it is
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html
I don't know whether this is more twisted than the film in question or bloody hilarious.

What fills me with joy is the fact that that piss poor review and the reviewer was totally destroyed in the comments. Good times.

Hmm. Intresting. I think this will be added to my list now, prety much was off my radar before

Hmmm... When I first about it, the movie made me think of two films I rather not see again, a poorly done parody superhero film called... superhero movie, and a utter disaster of a film called.... Disaster movie. However, I think I might go check it out now...

My freinds went on and on about going to see this movie telling me how funny it was and that they couldent stop laughing but i must of left my sense of humor behind because the only bit i found funny was the crack about Lost at the end of the film :/

Nick cage was pretty awsome though!

PAGEToap44:

AMCization:
Swear I must've seen this like three weeks ago? Is it only just out in the states, or is Bob just really running behind?

Yeah, British made film, we got to see it first. It's a fantastic movie, isn't it?

Loved it, ended up seeing it twice, didn't regret it. And I never see films twice. Bloody awesome film!

Arrers:
I should porbably give this one a look then. By the way bob, what did you make of Roger Ebert's review of the film?

Honestly, I was dissapointed to read it. NOT, I stress, because I "wanted" him to like it - generally speaking, "eff-the-world" satire isn't Ebert's thing (he didn't like Fight Club, either) - but because his review basically boiled down to "the violence involving children shocked me so much that the rest of it isn't worth commenting on," and... I dunno, I guess I expect him to be more thoughtful than that.

Ebert is THE most important American film critic still working. His breadth of knowledge is unmatched, his ecclectic experience as a onetime screenwriter and "man of the world" is legendary, and NO ONE - including me - would be able to make a career of doing film criticism as TV/web entertainment without Siskel & Ebert having existed.

But on this one... I don't think that "moral outrage" is a particularly worthwhile form of art critique. He didn't like the movie, fine, but I'd be more interested in knowing what it was in the execution of it that lowered his opinion of it instead of just "ick, kids and guns, no thanks." That's weaksauce. That's the sort of non-criticism you get out of "morality police" websites like CAPalert or the "parent's guide" folks. Hell, Ebert is a guy who made his early bones as the lone voice championing "Bonnie & Clyde" when all the other critics were dismissing it as "too violent;" so it's distressing to see him on the other side of that attitude on this.

Look, as you said, the original comic was suffering from a identity crisis, the movie does away with that and generally the movie preserves the comic's unique charm.

If it's a comedy, count me in!

someday i'll have my own creepy daughter but for now, lets watch kick ass.

I always adored superheroes i clinged on to every single on of em but sad enough i dodn't live in the age of comics, i'll have to do with movies.

The way the trailers make this movie look, and Bob's review, actually give me hope that one day Ender's Game will be made into a movie.

This movie did make me sad because Cage is clearly an AWESOME Batman. Also, as much as my avatar hates to admit it, Hitgirls ending violent scene > all The Matrix fight scenes.

But yeah, nice one Bob. Way to review it AFTER I've seen it.

edit: ha, apparently we got it first here in the U of K. Sweet...

Did anyone else got the odd feeling that bob was saying good enthusiastic opinions although with a depressed or neutral at best voice tone. It sounded weird to me (if anyone has you captive and you are making that review against your will nod twice on your next review), but maybe the routine is finally getting to him.

I was already going to see it, but lately you've had a habit of hating movies I enjoyed. Looking forward to this now.

Dexiro:
I hear everyone saying this film is really gory, but i just can't picture it!

Kids and gory violence just don't go together in my imagination xD

That's part of the point. Hit-girl is supposed to be a disturbing character, but at the same time she's fucking hilarious and awesome. Nick Cage steals the show as Big Daddy though.

I'm sure the first words spoken from my nephews when I show them a picture of Big Daddy are, "Uncle CH why does Batman have a gun?", or, "Uncle CH is that a new Batman movie?, seeing as they've seen both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

My wife and I are already set on seeing this so I'm happy mostly because I get to see a really fun movie because after this I've got to wait for Iron Man 2.

Yeah, I kind of already did make up my mind about whether or not I'm going to see this. My wife's all about it and I'm a comic book fan, so my decision pretty much amounts to "HELL to the YES."

Oh bloody violence with teenagers, Yea definitly going to see. It look like fun from the trailers so I've been looking forward to this and Losers.

As usual Bob, you're dead on about whether or not people are pre-decided on seeing this or not. I was sold by the first trailer MONTHS ago, and haven't wavered since. But what I love about your reviews are that they give me a glimpse at other sides I'd have been blind to. In this case, A) I had no idea there was a comic, and B) I wasn't expecting this film to be overly graphic at all.

Going to see it Tuesday, can't f'ing wait.

Bob, if you could indulge me a moment. In your review you point to Vaughn, but ignore the work of Jane Goldman, also part of the scriptwriting team, who - in Millar's words - made the film a "chick flick" (?) by softening Hit Girl's character, part of what you commented on.

In most of the reviews, this "uberviolence" has been pointed to as Vaughn's work only, and I'm wondering if Goldman's work is being ignored by the popular press for a reason? I mean, she did scriptwrite the brilliant Stardust as well.

Just sort of surprised it wasn't part of your review.

TomOfTheCross:

Also has anyone read the review which the Daily Mail did on this?
If not here it is
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html
I don't know whether this is more twisted than the film in question or bloody hilarious.

Ah, the Daily Mail. How there's not a lightning bolt that scorches that scum-centre off the face of the planet with their hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me.

My favourite little snippet

And she makes comments unprintable in a family newspaper, that reveal a sexual knowledge hugely inappropriate to her years.
She says the C word: Name one real life teen that doesn't know that one

Oh, and one of the male teenage characters acknowledges that he's attracted to her.
God forbid!

Now, children committing violent and sexual acts should be a matter for concern. Children carrying knives are not cool, but a real and present danger.
Which you print daily, even when they're not there

Underage sex isn't a laugh. Recent government figures revealed that in this country more than 8,000 children under the age of 16 conceive every year.
While up until the 19th century, the age of marriage for boys was 14, girls was 12

True trash only comes in Tabloids.

Having never actually read the comic (I know, for a comic nerd such as myself it's unheard of) I'm looking forward to an entertaining flick.

PurpleLeafRave:
Hit Girl is so awesome! That's how I'm going to train my daughter.

train your daughter?

She's not a fucking dog dude...

Khell_Sennet:
As usual Bob, you're dead on about whether or not people are pre-decided on seeing this or not. I was sold by the first trailer MONTHS ago, and haven't wavered since. But what I love about your reviews are that they give me a glimpse at other sides I'd have been blind to. In this case, A) I had no idea there was a comic, and B) I wasn't expecting this film to be overly graphic at all.

Going to see it Tuesday, can't f'ing wait.

All the trailers I saw convinced me this was a film for 6 year olds very surprised to find out the what its really like

saw it on a school trip, it was a seriously great movie

danpascooch:

PurpleLeafRave:
Hit Girl is so awesome! That's how I'm going to train my daughter.

train your daughter?

She's not a fucking dog dude...

Have you seen the film? If not I suggest doing so; that comment will then make far more sense to you.

I saw this film a couple of days ago and it was AWESOME!! Seriously, it's a very good film. It suprised me with how good it actually is.

I've been on the fence about this movie ever since the first preview, having never read the comic, but I guess I'll go see it if you say it good.

I just hope Nick Cage doesn't use his Elvis routine in this role like he does in every other movie he stars in.

I must admit it does look kick-ass, I think I'll give it a shot.

I downloaded the comics about a week ago, and liked them quite a bit. Even though it was all sort of depressing. I actually think I might go see if I can't download the movie now. I'm curious to see how they handle certain things.

AMCization:
Swear I must've seen this like three weeks ago? Is it only just out in the states, or is Bob just really running behind?

I dunno about how far behind they are but it definitely came out here before it did in the US.

On the other hand, Hot Tub Time Machine isn't out till May here.

:(

I saw this movie a couple of hours ago. Totally worth the 3 hour wait this morning. It was a bloody action pack (and yeah, it had some comedy in it) film. My friend say she'll see this movie tomorrow. I wish she saw it today. I can't wait to tell her my feelings about this movie.

PS: I didn't know Mark Miller (tham man who created Wanted) made this comic. Thanks for the heads up, MovieBob.

best title of any film ever so i was gonna see it even if it were about sheep. now i will just see it cos it looks awesome.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here