Stolen Pixels #188: Test Your Shooter-IQ!

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Silva:

While you've played it and know all this, I should be careful not to discourage people from playing that game. There are some excellent things about Fallout 3, despite its superficially generic nature.

*strikes a name from his black list*

I agree that there have been alot of "wasteland" settings lately. And you know, if you've seen one wasteland, you've seen them all. But I don't agree with Fallout 3 falling into the "generic wasteland shooter" category, because for me, Fallout 3 is not a generic shooter. Mainly, because it's not a shooter.

Shooting around just happens to be the main way combat and arguments are resolved in Fallout 3, but it's not a defining element of the game, as in a true FPS. As many critics pointed out, the "FPS element" of Fallout 3 is actually one of the weakest points of the game. Before being a shooter, Fallout 3 is a roleplaying game, a sandbox game, an exploration game, an adventure game, and only after all of this, it's a shooter.

As a matter of fact, I think it is entirely possible to finish the main storyline and almost all sidequests (notable exception: "You've gotta shoot them in the head") without fireing a single shot.

Omikron009:
FALLOUT 3 IS NOT A SHOOTER! AAAAARRRGHHH!!

Any game where they make me aim the bloody gun is a shooter. In an RPG that's the character's job, not mine.

Tiamat666:
Shooting around just happens to be the main way combat and arguments are resolved in Fallout 3, but it's not a defining element of the game, as in a true FPS. As many critics pointed out, the "FPS element" of Fallout 3 is actually one of the weakest points of the game. Before being a shooter, Fallout 3 is a roleplaying game, a sandbox game, an exploration game, an adventure game, and only after all of this, it's a shooter.

Couldn't agree with you more.

well if I pretend to care then I got 9 points :D

Now having seen the XCOM footage, it looks awesome! The graphics are more TF2 than Fallout 3.

I'm kinda glad so many games are generic. It means I can buy one and will have played them all. Seriously though, I'm saving myself plenty of money by not getting hyped by so many games nowadays.

Neither Modern Warfare 2 nor Bad Company 2 are part of the "generic brown is realistic" genre of shooters. Both actually use colors, as shocking as that might seem to the naysayer brigade here. Also, both are multiplayer-centric. If you paid full price for their single player campaigns, you are to blame for feeling ripped off.
Pic 2 I can somewhat agree with, but pic 3? WTF? Selecting the worst possible screen, cropping it so that you only see some really vague outdoor shapes? And then going to say that it could be Doom3, a game that was more or less purely indoor? Borderlands also looks vastly different, though I admit the wasteland setting is a bit overdone. Red Faction plays on Mars, so having it look totally like one expects Mars to look is somehow a point against it now? Man, what a shitty world we live in.

Okay, enough rambling. Enjoy yourself hating on games you never touched, I'm going back to Deus Ex. Can't wait to see that in one of these pieces, I suggest Mortal Kombat 2 and Mario as look-alikes, seems to fit the theme. >_>

After the brilliant slug-fest that was Call of Duty Modern Warfare; I have to say that I am very disappointed with what has happened to the series. I won't mention Black ops in too much detail. It was a spec-ops game about very noisy and clumsy battles. When you make a game titled "black ops" you expect there to be stealth, and there was only one or two stealth based missions in the entire game. Even these were far too short. The game had no tact or sense of pacing, it just puked one bullet storm in your face after another. Sadly, every title they have released since the first modern warfare has fallen further and further from the tree.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54305)