Escape to the Movies: Iron Man 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Alar:

Little Duck:
No how to train your dragon? thought you were gonna do how to train your dragon? Have I dropped a HOW TO TRAIN YOUR MOTHER FUCKING DRAGON hint?

I still remain skeptical as to weather or not to watch it. The first one has developed a massive following in my family.

I don't know how much my word is worth, but I found "How To Train Your Dragon" highly enjoyable. The 3-D wasn't great, but it didn't need to be (I didn't really notice it very much, so either it didn't stand out or I'm just getting used to it).

I can't really point out the reasons why I enjoyed it... it was just a fun movie, I suppose.

You could see the plot from a mile off and it didn't need 3d, but the film was better because it had 3d and it told the story so well, you couldn't help but love it.

That and, toothless totally stole the show.

If only I had known about the credits stuff BEFORE I went to see the movie, a week ago.

Oh well. Good to see that we have similar opinions about the movie and the franchise in general.

I think MovieBob is just a little too kind to superhero movies, to the point where I wonder whether his reviews apply to everyone.

I'm sorry to say that I thought the film was the worst kind of self-indulgent tripe that I've seen in a long while. I really enjoyed the first movie, but this one rammed the "bigger universe" thing down my throat in such a constant stream of unavoidable bile that I was pretty jaded by the end.

Where did the imagination and sense of fun go? Half of the film was spent watching yuppies complaining about the rebellious Tony Stark, then what was left was given over to press conferences and presentations. When a decent idea did show up (Mickey Rourke with atomic bloody whips) he's quickly beaten up and then put into a laboratory where-in he slowly makes vacuums for the majority of the film. When he does reappear he's quickly defeated, and then everyone goes back to talking about other movies again. Rubbish.

That Movie was pretty good. The only thing i thought they could have done more with was the boss battle at the end.

Movie Bob is right, everyone should see this movie.

I'm loving Sam Rockwell more every time I see one of his movies. Rockwell & Downey in the same movie? Awesome!

yea i just got back from seeing it and i got a different opening

saw the movie twice in the first weekend, it is brilliant.

PrototypeC:
I think MovieBob is just a little too kind to superhero movies, to the point where I wonder whether his reviews apply to everyone.

Well other critics have said, there are too many sub-plots and too many new characters. but if your a fan of the comics and such, that doesn't matter because you already know the characters and recognise the plots that are going on (just told in a new light)

to me, Ironman 2 has more multi-viability. because its more complex, you can watch it several times at it stays fresh. while as the first introduced the characters more and so had to have a more simplistic story.

I had a feeling this was gonna be awesome ever since I saw the Silver Centurion briefcase armor. Glad to see I was right. :D I can't wait to see this flick this weekend!

YAY! its good!

we needed a + review to counter-balance the awfulness of last week friday's er... friday

oh wait friday is jason umm... well you get my drift.

I was very disappointed with this film. I felt the comedy section were childish and the action scene right at the end was crap. The first two acts really bored me, as well.

Glad to hear they can make a good sequel. It gives me higher hopes for the Avengers movie.

chstens:
I wholeheartedly agree, I nerdgasm'd after the credits and when

And I will keep my comments about Scarlett Johannson to myself, HOT DAMN!

I don't care if this is a fake revelation of the end credits...it sickens me that you've done this. You know almost everyone here clicked on that spoiler.

I'm gonna wait to see Iron Man 2 anyways.

2 out of 4 stars.

Iron Man 1 had a great story but the action was lacking. I was expecting this movie to be worse because sequels tend to get overblown with action and lack story. Thus this would be playing to the weakness of the first Iron Man movie.

Yet, to my surprise the story of Iron Man 2 is the biggest problem. Too many plot lines and many just get glossed over or some seem just plain unnecessary. I feel like maybe they should have kept Iron Man movies franchise only about Iron Man instead of adding Avengers and Shield.

HOPEFULLY gonna see this today or tomorrow.

The first movie was badass. Lets hope this is just as badass.

No comments about the cast change from Terrance Howard to Don Cheadle Bob?

Cosplay Horatio:
-snip-

I'm sorry, but spoiler tags are there for a reason.

I'll be seeing it in another 3 hours!

I just hope their won't be too many assholes at the theatre.

This movie was super fun. Also, I'm pretty sure I blew a load when I first saw War Machine (a.k.a. Iron Man's cooler brother who always has a girlfriend and a sweet black and chrome Camaro and a beard. Metaphorically, of course.)

I believe I forgot to comment on the review and the movie!

Thanks Bob for reassuring me that this movie will definitely be worth the wait and the watch. I'm likely going to end up waiting until this Monday to watch it on an afternoon where there will be less people. It's also a great way to relax after a stressful (possibly) day at work.

I love Iron Man 2. I saw the midnight premiere last night, also my last day High School. (2010! WHOOO!) Awesome way to kick off Summer vacation. I'll probably see it again.

Also, Scarlet Johansen (or however you spell it) kicks ass in this movie. Actually, you know what? That doesn't do her justice. I mean...

And as a bonus, she is fucking hot. Beats the shit out of Megan Fox any day. Actually, that gives me an idea. She should actually beat the shit out of Megan Fox. And Shia LeBOOF. I'd pay to watch that.

You still forgot someone Bob. No love for War Machine?

And Nick Fury isn't black.

For a second there I thought Bob forgot to mention Scarlett...

It might be because I am still on a nerd high from last night, but I really have to say Iron Man 2 is my favorite super hero movie thus far (Dark Knight is not a super hero movie in my opinion). I'll have to see it again to see if it is truly better than the first movie, but as a comic fan I just couldn't help but giggle like a school girl every time something really "Iron Man" happened. Great job Bob, this was a perfect way to describe the film... let's hope the Avengers is a movie that we can all die happy after watching.

By the way:

fanklok:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Nick_Fury

Actually he is it's the "Ultimate Nick Fury" not the

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fury Classic or Original one though.

chstens:
I wholeheartedly agree, I nerdgasm'd after the credits and when

And I will keep my comments about Scarlett Johannson to myself, HOT DAMN!

haha that part was awesome, especially how he used it

that movie was way better than i thought it was going to be, major props to it, they implemented the characters and awesome gadgets wonderfully! pretty sweet twist to the plot too

fanklok:

thats the classic fury, the newer modern one is black in at least one cartoon i know of and i think in a game or two i saw him black

I really didn't have any doubts about seeing this, but you at least confirmed it so thanks ;)

Oh, and the Scarlett Johansson bit at the end was genius XD

No mention of War Machine? So i guess he only has a small role in the movie?

"holllyyyyyy"

haha.

Good to know the 2nd movie isn't a disappointment. I was a little worried about the critic averages, but you've convinced me.

Gekidami:
No mention of War Machine? So i guess he only has a small role in the movie?

Well, he did have a fight with Iron Man, as seen in MovieBob's review. And he fights AGAINST Iron Man, too.

Plus, the epic final battle was pretty sweet IMO.

fanklok:

Read the Ultimates. You will then be complaining about every failure of the movies to measure up. It features the line "Hulk straight!", and "Hulk gonna smash Freddie Prince Jr.!"

Great review! and the film does look realy good. I cant wait for it!

I noticed that Moviebob spelled villain wrong when he was breaking down the movie.

"Character" "Action" "Villian?"

Saw it. I agree with MovieBob in this one pretty much blow for blow. All the crap this one is receiving from fans is completely undeserved. It's flawed, but not more flawed than the first, and in exactly the same ways.

Except for the action. The action in Iron Man seemed like the bits the cast and director needed to get through to be able to get back to the real fun with all the great actors doing what they do best. Not here. The action is incredible in this one. Somehow all the blows and characters have the right weight and power to the blows and motions, but they also get to strike all the comic book poses and play them completely straight. It's awesome from a nerd perspective, but it also makes for pretty good genre film stuff.

Ironically, I think they overplayed the crossover stuff a bit, too. Like Bob said, it's not easy to foreshadow half a dozen movie events in a shared universe, and the compromise is reasonable, but there are at least five or six scenes and two entire characters that are only there as setup. This movie is going to play great back to back with the other Marvel Universe movies someday, but right now there are some loose ends in there.

But yeah, overall, lots of fun in exactly the terms outlined in the review. So great.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here