Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 26 NEXT

Hm, I was gonna get this game. On second thought, Lost Planet II may be a safer alternative, as it has large monster hunting minus the B.S. quests.

Sadly many games are "not meant for the Wii."

Eventidal:

NickCooley:
A Typical Zero Punctuation Thread:

1) Average fan watches ZP, is entertained and gathers another opinion about the game being reviewed.

2) More devoted Yahtzee fan's denounce the game in the discussion thread, swearing by the review.

3) Fan's of the game reply in thread stating how Yahtzee Missed the Point/Didn't play the game properly/didn't play the game right/isn't real reviewer/shouldn't be taken seriously. (Delete where appropriate)

4) Groups 2 and 3 begin to argue the toss.

I've yet to see a single ZP thread that didn't follow this to some degree or another. It doesn't really bother me that much I suppose. Except for the ridiculous "isn't a real reviewer" argument. I'd say ZP is as valid as any other review because all a review is, when it boils down to it, is an over glorified opinion of the subject matter and swearing by Yahtzee's reviews is no better (or worse) than swearing by X reviewer.

^reason #1 I don't usually post on his review threads. You're probably right.
But I really don't think anyone should take his reviews seriously. He's fabricating the truth in this review. Not to say it's on purpose or anything, but he's taking one part of the game (apparently the only part he even played- the tutorial) and bashing it into the dust and calling the whole thing horrible as a result. In some reviews, he says good things. Yahtzee's not about the good or bad parts of a game. He focuses on the bad usually, but it's whatever makes for a more funny video that goes in. That's why his reviews shouldn't be taken seriously. "Brawl sucks" - obviously not. "Halo blah blah worst FPS ever" - not if you play the right modes. "MH Tri is the worst" - just ask me and my 110 hours' game time. It's a bunch of game bashing and, while it is funny, it isn't accurate. Based on his word, I should never buy a video game ever. Or maybe just Portal. There are few games he actually said much good about, which would lead most people to the conclusion that they aren't worth getting.

I'm not trying to defend Yahtzee or anything, he's a big boy now and of course you are completely entitled to your own opinion. I've never played Monster Hunter so I can't really comment on whether the review is false or not but I still don't think Yahtzee should be disregarded as a reviewer. But thats not really a compliment on his part. More a sign of my skepticism of reviews in general. While other reviewers may go into greater detail and lengths their reviews are still essentially just their opinion (at least in my mind) like these videos are just Yahtzee's opinion, albeit just with more swear words and metaphors delivered quickly.

But I do agree that anyone that bases their opinion of a game off of a sole review is a bit of a mug.

Wow... good job Yahtzee, for playing 1/100th of the total game and passing judgement on all of it.

Now I know a game is supposed to be interesting from the start and that it sucks when one isn't, but you were playing the literal textbook example of a game that gets exponentially better the further you progress. Of course it started out boring, the alternative is Demon's Souls (which you also gave up on far too early and is much better than you give it credit for but excuse me for assuming you could play a game that requires any skill), where you throw players straight into a fight with a real monster and have them all quit out of frustration because there has been absolutely no time to acquaint themselves with the basics.

Did you even kill a single Rathalos? Even a Kut-ku? Kut-kus are the baby seals of Monster Hunter and you didn't even play the 2 hours it would take to challenge one of them! This is a 200+ hour game you're playing, not the 6 hour throwaway games you're used to. I understand you're a game CRITIC and that's what makes you so entertaining to watch, but it doesn't help your image when you try to bash a game you know nothing about.

I agree with most of your reviews but of the few that have been wrong this is by far the worst, no contest whatsoever. I even feel a little betrayed because you usually show good taste or at least bash a game for good reason, but this is ridiculous. You release a review every week and you didn't even spend A DAY with this game. Or does it take you THAT long to finish the first 2 tiers of village quests? Did you even TRY the online portion? You could've jumped straight into 3 star quests and fought a few low-level monsters. And fyi, low-level monsters are the ones that are only 5-10 times bigger than you, not the ones the same size, those are trash. All you fought were trash.

As for the gathering, it's a facsimile of what real monster hunting would be like. You're not supposed to be a half-demon god of destruction, you're supposed to be an average joe taking on GIANT DINOSAURS! That's what makes it so awesome. You're not Superman, you're Batman, you fight with your wit, skill, and gadgets, and how are you going to get those gadgets if you aren't some multi-millionaire? You make them yourself. That's part of the experience. You pour your own time and effort into constructing the tools you'll use to take down the monsters. It makes it more rewarding. I didn't think you were the type that could only appreciate instant gratification. Guess I expected too much. You've shown you're not man enough to play this or Demon's Souls, I don't think I can really trust your taste anymore.

ANYBODY THAT READS THIS, TL;DR:

Monster Hunter is a game where you fight big monsters and carve them up to turn them into weapons and armor to fight EVEN BIGGER MONSTERS, ad infinitum.

Here's a far, FAR better review, skipped straight to the important part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXfpkGeU5UI&#t=1m58s

With more than 100 hours of game time this is my favorite game right now.

The trick to the game is you need a hacked Wii so you can turn on cheat codes to get past bullshit parts of the game that Yahtzee reviewed.

I've been playing the series since Monster Hunter Freedom on the PSP 4 years ago, and I would never recommend Monster Hunter without infinite items turned on. (inf items only works for the storage container outside of quests)

If you have a hacked Wii and know 3 other people that also have hacked Wii's then I can't recommend this game enough. If not, again don't even bother. You'll never get to play with each other cause you'll always be farming, gathering, and hunting solo quests just so you can do less farming and gathering. And you need 4 players cause the heart of the game is the online hunting hall where all the monsters HP is difficulty is balance for 4. You can make do with 3 really good players, but it's needlessly rough.

Fun review :P

However, from what I've heard about the game, all the action is to be found online, while Offline might as well be cut out of the game.

I know Yahtzee mostly doesn't review online parts of games, but it just seems a waste that everyone is joining in a circle in here chanting "Bad game is bad because the almighty Croshaw says so!". I'd say go read a review for the online part, and see if they have the same opinion :) I for one, plan to at least give it a shot and research a bit more.

Dreyfuss:
Wow... good job Yahtzee, for playing 1/100th of the total game and passing judgement on all of it.

Now I know a game is supposed to be interesting from the start and that it sucks when one isn't, but you were playing the literal textbook example of a game that gets exponentially better the further you progress. Of course it started out boring, the alternative is Demon's Souls (which you also gave up on far too early and is much better than you give it credit for but excuse me for assuming you could play a game that requires any skill), where you throw players straight into a fight with a real monster and have them all quit out of frustration because there has been absolutely no time to acquaint themselves with the basics.

Did you even kill a single Rathalos? Even a Kut-ku? Kut-kus are the baby seals of Monster Hunter and you didn't even play the 2 hours it would take to challenge one of them! This is a 200+ hour game you're playing, not the 6 hour throwaway games you're used to. I understand you're a game CRITIC and that's what makes you so entertaining to watch, but it doesn't help your image when you try to bash a game you know nothing about.

I agree with most of your reviews but of the few that have been wrong this is by far the worst, no contest whatsoever. I even feel a little betrayed because you usually show good taste or at least bash a game for good reason, but this is ridiculous. You release a review every week and you didn't even spend A DAY with this game. Or does it take you THAT long to finish the first 2 tiers of village quests? Did you even TRY the online portion? You could've jumped straight into 3 star quests and fought a few low-level monsters. And fyi, low-level monsters are the ones that are only 5-10 times bigger than you, not the ones the same size, those are trash. All you fought were trash.

As for the gathering, it's a facsimile of what real monster hunting would be like. You're not supposed to be a half-demon god of destruction, you're supposed to be an average joe taking on GIANT DINOSAURS! That's what makes it so awesome. You're not Superman, you're Batman, you fight with your wit, skill, and gadgets, and how are you going to get those gadgets if you aren't some multi-millionaire? You make them yourself. That's part of the experience. You pour your own time and effort into constructing the tools you'll use to take down the monsters. It makes it more rewarding. I didn't think you were the type that could only appreciate instant gratification. Guess I expected too much. You've shown you're not man enough to play this or Demon's Souls, I don't think I can really trust your taste anymore.

ANYBODY THAT READS THIS, TL;DR:

Monster Hunter is a game where you fight big monsters and carve them up to turn them into weapons and armor to fight EVEN BIGGER MONSTERS, ad infinitum.

There are no Kut-Kus in monster hunter tri, and Rathalos is pretty close to endgame for offline. I doubt he even got to the Great Jaggi, though.

Dreyfuss:

You and I both know that gathering isn't 1/100th of the game. It's more like 99/100th of the game.

Blue-State:
I know it's silly to expect Yahtzee to give a positive review, but I was genuinely disappointed that he couldn't find anything actually GOOD to say about this game.

Same here, I just got it some days ago, thanks to my gamestore (grr...) and I think it is grindy and in no way perfect, but it is what it is: pretty realistic. You have to actually carve stuff from dead animals, and only stuff they can actually have, not complete iron armor or something like that.

The mission with the big monster was actually part of the story, just to keep you interested in the villages baddie. I know, not perfect, but give them some credit. I freaked a little, but the "oh, my, I am going to project a movie so I'll load a little extra long and make the camera drop in" gave it away somewhat.

The Great Jaggi's on the other hand are genuinly terifying, seeing as how I had 2 roaming the fields today. Try collecting honey with two of those things on your tail.

The stuff collecting is pretty clusterfucky, since you will get a lot of items with similar icons for them, I'll give you that. But they are pretty easy to get hold of anyway, so that's fine.

The quests are locked in a certain similar dimension. True. I am annoyed that I can't go to the sandy plains unless I'm questing. But that makes some quests a little easier, because some monsters (the ones you need) are higher in number.

It's a JRPG. True. Can't argue with that, but that's hating a crocodile for being a crocodile: it can't choose what it is. If you don't like it, just walk the other way. I like crocodiles...

But, concluding my annoyance.

He's a critic who doesn't like JRPG's and hates the wii. Easy shots. I like the game, I often agree with Yahtzee, but I think he likes being a critic too much, if you know what I mean. Every game has downsides. Just find the right game for YOU, not yahtzee's favourite (unless it's your favourite too):

Daystar Clarion:

t_rexaur:
No mention of the online and/or multiplayer aspect? Still good episode as always.

On a side note to people actually take what Yatzee says at face value? I mean you'd have to be pretty silly to do that since if you did every game apart from Adventure Island Dizzy would be shit and you'd never play anything, ever.

Agreed.
"OMg, yatzee doesn t like it! must be bhad!"

Form your own opinions.

Last words: great review though, I like your picture of the giant seamonster :)

infinity_turtles:
Funny, but it seems like he never made it to any of the end bit content. In that respect it is a lot like MMORPGs, except the endgame content is actually totally awesome.

but remember: if it bores you, EVER, it deserves to be tossed down a cooling tower.

being tedious is not forgivable: is it fun and tedious at the same time? okay fine. but just plain boring is not what a good game makes.

Hmm. I don't think he even fought the first boss, but he's almost there. Methinks Yahtzee needs to put about 20 more minutes into the game. My only problem is that for a lot of people, this is the only information they are getting about this game. They are going to take this 'review' as the final word, write off MH3 completely, and miss out on a pretty good game. Mr. Croshaw is doing his viewers a disservice by reviewing an entire game based on its tutorial.

Of course, the video was hilarious as always.

Neoky:
Dreyfuss:

You and I both know that gathering isn't 1/100th of the game. It's more like 99/100th of the game.

No, it really isn't. The gathering quests in the game take five minutes and are only mandatory for the first rank of six, while the monster hunting quests take longer, are far more numerous, and are, you know, the point of the game.

Plus, all the items you could ever want infinitely regenerate from the farm and the fishery, so the only gathering you ever *need* to do to upgrade weapons is either from dead monsters or mining ore, and you usually don't need to mine more than ten ore for a new monster set, so it's about ten minutes of gathering, at best, for a set that can last you ten or more *hours* of fighting baddies; most weapons require you to kill baddies to make, so they aren't much grinding, unless you consider playing the actual game grinding, in which case, go play Starcraft and enjoy grinding more zerglings out, or grinding out kills on CoD, or grinding out missions on Red Dead Redemption, or grinding out intel caps on TF2.

Neoky:
Dreyfuss:

If you make it out to be a chore... then guess what it turns into? A chore.
You don't need hacks for this game to enjoy it, but if all you want to do is kill crap then maybe you should be playing a different game. MH has never just been about the killing of monsters, after all Hunter is also in the title. That means, expect slow-paced times and possibly grinding.

nice rewiev, though you missed the point with Monster Hunter......

The point of the game is to make you think big monsters will come if you play long enough. It's a cruel trap. I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't note this, but we already know he doesn't have the patience (and rightfully so) for MMPORGZQXs

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

Yeah, this. Gathering items is like 5 or 10 minutes to stock up on potions and whetstones between quests to take down huge monsters, not the central aspect of the game that Yahtzee makes it out to be.
Monster Hunter Tri's biggest problem really is the ridiculously slow start.

pwndnoob:
The point of the game is to make you think big monsters will come if you play long enough. It's a cruel trap. I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't note this, but we already know he doesn't have the patience (and rightfully so) for MMPORGZQXs

Big monsters do come, an hour in. And they stay for the next few dozen.

I don't see what the point of this post is. Sure, the tutorial doesn't instantly have you get smashed to pieces by a Rathalos, but when that happened in Demon's souls (well, minus the rathalos bit) Yahtzee complained about not having enough time to get used to the game, so there's clear hypocrisy here, and Yahtzee would be better served just saying he hates the genre in general.

Soon he will be doing Red Dead Redemption and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Recently he has been reviewing shit games, and calling them shit. Give him some allegedly great games and then bring this topic up again. Not on a crap game like this.

Wow, this after the FF13 5 hour review, my respect for Yahtzee is starting to drop. I know if it takes a game 3 hours to get into the swing of things that's a pretty big flaw, but that doesn't mean the other 30 hours are worthless. Great job Yahtzee, if you didn't even get past the Qurupeco that's like declaring Mario shit before jumping on anything's head.

Given that this game is 30 hours and a good MMO is 30 days, this is just a streamlined MMO experience, good and bad. You do boring shit for a little while then hit a difficulty curve of stupendous boss fights that you should probably bring your friends along for while you work on gear.

you dont seem to have played very much. The beginning is really fucked and it takes arround 5hours before something happens but it gets really good. Thats a weak point i know, BUT considering that it will take arround 80hours for a normal person to finish the single player thats alright i guess. The seamonster you found is by far not the biggest monster you will encounter but it takes a bum of time to get there.
If you have preposterous amounts of free time try and play it some more.
You might like it.
Keep making stuff.
schönen tag noch

I didn't laugh this time. It's probably because i love the monster hunter series, and think the combat is 100 times better than any game on the market. It's a special type of game, not for the type of people who want instant gratification. Yahtzee himself said he was one of those people.

This game makes me wish i had a Wii though. Monster Hunter on the PSP took up 250 hours of my life, and unlike World Of Warcraft, i dont regret it.

Actually the only other time I even heard about this game was a gamesradar article that explored how this game struck a cord with him due to him being a vegetarian...

Seriously, I believe I've never heard of this game again until now. And this is the third installment?

pwndnoob:
Soon he will be doing Red Dead Redemption and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Recently he has been reviewing shit games, and calling them shit. Give him some allegedly great games and then bring this topic up again. Not on a crap game like this.

Excuse anyone for not respecting the opinion of a 5 post newbie that's obviously hasn't played the game and doesn't even know that this "crap game" is one of Capcom's biggest markets.

Monster Hunter Tri is a grinding game. I despise grinding games. But I wanted to give Monster Hunter Tri a chance because I thought it would be different. I thought it would be different because in Monster Hunter Tri, you only grind armor. This is opposed to every other grinding game, where you grind levels in addition to armor. Monster Hunter Tri is also a challenging game. And I love challenging games. But in the end, I was disappointed.

Offline and Low-Rank Online modes have tolerable levels of grind. But High-Rank Online is a grind fest. It is a grind fest because you will inevitably encounter equipment that requires items that have a low drop rate - Around a 10% chance or less. And this is equipment you can't skip out on either. Expect to fight the same boss monster 20+ times just for one item.

An example of the grind fest that is High-Rank Online - I fought a boss monster 12 times just for one item in High-Rank Online. The worst part is, this was for an item that is supposed to be common - Lagiarcus Horn+. Lagiarcus Horn+ is supposed to have a 40% chance to drop. It took me 7 regular Horns, 2 Lagiarcus Plates, and 2 Lagia Sapphires before I got one Horn+. And the items I just mentioned have a drop rate that is 20% or less. And I still needed 3 more Horn+ to make the item I needed. I didn't feel like playing anymore after that.

This was disappointing. Funny as usual, but he didn't even try to get into the game itself. Just took the first few quests and called the game shit.

The first star rank of quests has 25% hunting quests yes. The second star? 70% hunting. Third? 90%. And by the third rank, you are hunting boss monsters, not minion monsters.

Hell, go to the first star rank in online. Ta da! 80% hunting quests right from the get go.

He didn't put any effort in this review.

I agree. The Game doesn't have any reason to be on the Wii other than cheap developers.

It would have been much better on the PS3 or 360, and they could have done a lot more with it.

Mazty:
A sh*t game on the wii - oh no, what a surprise....When the adverts don't show the actual game, you know there's something it's trying to hide.

And yet everybody seemed to love Bioshock, Halo 3 and the like. I don't recall those games showing any gameplay in their adverts.

t_rexaur:
No mention of the online and/or multiplayer aspect? Still good episode as always.

On a side note to people actually take what Yatzee says at face value? I mean you'd have to be pretty silly to do that since if you did every game apart from Adventure Island Dizzy would be shit and you'd never play anything, ever.

And Portal! And 'tis a shame, I was considering getting this game, but, I forgot that it was going to be a grindfest.

EDIT: And I think (I think!) that's Fantasy World Dizzy, I could be wrong though.

:( I was hoping you'd do Red Dead, but great review as always, love the analogies.

sinclose:
Actually the only other time I even heard about this game was a gamesradar article that explored how this game struck a cord with him due to him being a vegetarian...

Seriously, I believe I've never heard of this game again until now. And this is the third installment?

Monster Hunter has never done well in the western markets. It's a massive success in Japan. This is the third console release, with three PSP releases, too, and a fourth PSP release scheduled. Capcom has been wary about Monster Hunter's success in the western market and nearly didn't even do this release. Luckly, they did.

Wolfy4226:
I agree. The Game doesn't have any reason to be on the Wii other than cheap developers.

It would have been much better on the PS3 or 360, and they could have done a lot more with it.

Yeah, because Capcom are the cheapest of the cheapest right? Look at any console generation. The one with the best capabilities hardware wise, have never won the 'console war'.

Ghostwise:
That game looks awesome lol. I was hoping for Red Dead Redemption but one would have to stop playing it to review it, which could be difficult. :D

yeah I thought it was gonna be RDR cuz I think he Tweeted about it
but maybe he decided to keep playing it like he did with ME2

I want to thank Mr. Yahtzee personally (that is, cyber-personally) for finally blasting the "Use Obscure Enemy Item Drops To Power Up Your Weapon" system. You never know when or if to sell something, therefore you are constantly strapped for gold even at the endgame. Last Remnant is the criminal mastermind in that outfit, often asking you to fetch components that turn out to be 20 hours away from you, followed by another 20 hours of grinding.

FF13 is guilty of that too, but at least any item drop can power up any weapon via the experience point system. But still, the best stuff in the game takes too much grinding to get.

D_987:
Big long snip

Excuse me, but I am not asking anyone to behave "how I wish them to". Perhaps if you took a moment and actually read my statements rather than merely seeing the avatar, making assumptions that I'm a fanboy mindlessly defending Yahtzee, and resorting to ad hominem attacks ('spoilt brat'), you should've quickly realized that I did not excoriate anyone for actually disagreeing with Yahtzee's opinion: I took issue with those that felt that his methodology was wrong. Well that and those QQing about how he's somehow brainwashing people. So, to clarify, I am asking people to not project their expectations and demands for his efforts (such as 'play it longer' or 'play multiplayer') in a way they have no right to, particularly in those aspects which the author has previously stated he is uninterested in pursuing-- and of course, give credit that other posters here might actually have a brain and free will... both of which, I believe, are entirely reasonable attitudes to have.

It's Zero Punctuation, by Ben 'Yahtzee' Crowshaw. As the creator, he's permitted to determine his methods and parameters as he sees fit. He is not required to abide by anyone's standards but his own. It is up to the viewer to weigh this information when they determine how seriously they take his opinion. (Which, by the way, is 'not very' in my case. I knew he was sizing up this game for vivisection with a chainsaw before he even opened the box, since it's on the Wii, which he loathes. Are you not familar enough with his work to know that? Why should I have to listen to your moaning if that is the case? Again: that's a YOU problem.)

As far as word of mouth is concerned, while once a long time ago a ZP review may have had an impact, I'm pretty sure that is no longer the case. My friends who aren't into ZP write him off as a curmudgeon, and frankly, most of my friends who watch ZP do as well. We all feel that Metacritic is far more sensible and influential a source for purchasing decisions... which, hey! Isn't that yet another argument as to why it is reasonable to think of ZP as entertainment and not a legitimate review?

And no, you clearly do not recognize my avatar or my "overly agressive post style"; I am supportive as often as I am critical. And when I am critical, it inevitably involves people being egocentric, myopic, hystronic, illogical, devisive, and/or prejudiced. When this occurs, I do tend to give it to them with both barrels, as I have an extremely low tolerance for people who display those traits. Unfortunately, I have bad news for you: you can't simultaneously tell me that I can't disagree with other peoples opinions and attitudes and then attempt to castigate me for having an opinion and/or an attitude you disagree with.

PratzStrike:
...and when I do bother to go to 4chan's /v/ board...

Also, I don't tend to post on The Escapist - this place is a foul and cursed wasteland.

Thank you for this. I got a great laugh out of it. Oh, and thank you for not posting very often since, via this passage...

PratzStrike:
I just think that it might be an idea to check other sources of reviews and possibly try the game yourself before condemning it, or any other game Yahtzee's criticized. I'd say this about any singular source of news - doublecheck it with two or three places, possibly your friends who've investigated it. Get more than one review about things.

...it is clear that you didn't even read enough to comprehend that one of the main premises of my original post was that Yahtzee's 'reviews' should not be taken seriously, particularly when the game in question heavily involves one of those aspects of gaming (such as multiplayer) that he has clearly and repeatedly stated he is uninterested in... that people should probably look elsewhere for a more honest critique in such situations, and not waste their time bitching and moaning that Yahtzee is somehow 'wrong' for holding the opinion that those aspects are without value to him.

aw man i thought he was gonna do red dead redemption, another sequel with a word at the end starting with re. i think he'll like it tho, seems his kinda game.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here