Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

It's kind of you-already-know-how-it-ends movie. Still, it's much better than watching the Irish Robin Hood with Russell Crow :/

Ok. Seriously. If you down own them, go pick up the SoT Trilogy from EB Games. They all come in 1 box, and it only cost about $30-$40AUD.

I im still thinking this movie will totally suck, I loved the SoT games. That over the top acrobatics and impossible fighting moves, they were just so damn good. Things like that just wouldnt work well on the big-screen, mainly because half the movie would be done with nothing but CGI.. Which isnt a bad thing in Avatar's case.

And there are a few things in that trailer that seem to have been stolen from other SoT games. It seems they have sort-of mashed them all into one movie. Like, why the fuck was a baddie using the Dagger-Tail (aka blade whip from The Two Thrones) that the Dark Prince used?

And this is just a little whine im having. Why did they give the Prince a name... Dastan.. Really? The Prince should never have a name, never did in the SoT trilogy, so why now? But it would be a bit stupid to have a movie with a nameless main character, which in Kill Bill's case actually worked. If they can call her "The Bride" in the credits, why cant he just be "The Prince".

Travdelosmuertos:

In the game, the voice actors have British-ish accents. The man who voices the Prince in Sands of Time is white. And surprisingly enough, Gyllenhaal pulls the part off.

I know they do, and the accents are just as stupid in game as they are in a movie. Same with Altaiir's American accent. Maybe less so, everyone in POP has a British accent but Altaiir seemed like the only one with an American accent.

I've seen mixed reviews thus far. Still not sure if I'll see it myself, though I quite like Pop: TSoT on my GCN. Glad to hear you enjoyed it though Bob.

fuck you Bob, the ending to Lost was perfect.

You know, I really could go for a browniest right about now. But I don't have any, so I'll have to settle for a muffinish or a donutly.

i saw it last night, it wasn't until about 5 minutes after the movie finished that i realised the whole 'good videogame adaptation' thing.
I thought about what made this one work as an adaption and then i realised it.
Story and characters.
With games, it's about the story, what is happening and not so much about the characters, because you are essentially the character. You are more interested in what's going to happen next, as opposed to what your character is going through.
With movies, we sometimes think in the same way (stop talking and get to the action already). but the good ones balance what is happening in the plot with how the characters are developing.
Bob said something similar in the avatar review, that the story was kept simple so people could focus on getting absorbed into pandora.
So the game's that can translate well are the ones that don't take complete focus of the characters while forwarding the story.

Upon writing this i realised that a 'no more heroes' movie would be AWESOME

Surprisingly this movie is actually better than the game which isn't directly based on it but was instead just rushed to co-inside with its release. Really weird. We have a game that isn't movie based that got treated like it was movie based and we have the first ever good video game based movie and its like... not a big deal.

Bob's right, I think when everyone pictured "the first good video game movie" they expected a more main stream established franchise like Halo or Mario or something figuring out a clever way of being a good movie.

PoP essentially did the same thing as the first and third Resident Evil films, which was to keep the name and make a few very slight barely noticable references to the games, except unlike those movies this one managed to not turn out shit.

Of all the unrealistic things that happen in that movie people felt the one to single out was the fact that the actors were white?

I liked the ending, but I did feel it kinda killed most of the sequel potential.

As for the English accent thing- here's my guess.

I think that English accents make it easy to demonstrate differences in class. Think about it- you hear a cockney accent, you automaticaly know what class it is.

PS- please say "Eeeeeraaaahn" not "Eye-ran"

Seneschal:

Hey, where is your avatar from? I got a childhood flashback when I saw it, but I can't pinpoint why.

Oh she is Leen from the PS1 game Grandia. Love the game! Grandia and Xenogears turned me into a Gamer, you know, instead of watching my big bro play.

Fortesque:
And this is just a little whine im having. Why did they give the Prince a name... Dastan.. Really? The Prince should never have a name, never did in the SoT trilogy, so why now? But it would be a bit stupid to have a movie with a nameless main character, which in Kill Bill's case actually worked. If they can call her "The Bride" in the credits, why cant he just be "The Prince".

You mean Beatrix Kiddo?

MovieBob brings up a good idea... in passing. Perhaps Hyrule would look pretty good in live action. Who the hell would play Link... Matt Damon?

Someone's probably already said this but the British accent thing could just be a reference to the games, where I think he was given that accent to make him fit a more intellectual stereotype for the American audiences (before you get angry Americans, think about all the movies where characters that are thought of as more intelligent are given British accents. Hell, think of every scientist or whatever that has been given that accent in a movie).

Also, despite the spoiler warnings, WHY GIVE AWAY THE ENDING TO SOMETHING I HAVEN'T GOT AROUND TO WATCHING YET? I appreciate that the final episode has been released and all but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one when I say I haven't caught up on every TV show I've wanted to watch because I've been studying or working instead.

Seamus8:

Fortesque:

You mean Beatrix Kiddo?

Yeah, But they only gave her a name in Part 2. In the first, she was only known as "The Bride".

Wow. I made a point of never caring about Lost. Partly due to not wanting to get sucked into hundreds of hours worth of 'epic' cliffhan..err, storytelling, and partly because I watched the first two-three episodes when it first debuted and didn't get the allure.

But this just made me *really* glad that I never got into Lost.

Also, guess this is a rental. If I'm bored and there's nothing amazing to watch.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this really was destined to not be a bad movie. Good review Bob.

Though I do have one little thing that has been bugging me. The Halo movie. Think about if Neil Blomkamp directed the movie in the exact same fashion he did District 9. Aparently the story with the books wasn't half bad, and the video game offers some great and nifty special effects that can be done, so why not?

Its got all the good elements, like an apocalypse, aliens, and a bad ass protagonist. Plus, they could maybe go at an angle where the focus on a less important character who is shadowing Master Chief. I think they would be able to pull something good out of it. Take my word, because I didnt even like the games to much.

holy crap... is that really how lost ends... God I hate TV...

typical current day Scifi:

Character 1 to Character 2: "wow look at that out there! easily the most interesting and refreshing scifi premise I've seen in a while!"

Character 2: "oh yes. interesting... but who cares about that. how are YOU feeling..."

*the remaining 59 minutes of show is entirely uninteresting and irrelevant 'character building'*

Cool, I'll see it then, IMDB and RT had me worried, it seems video game adaptations will always carry an annoying stigma..No reviewer seems to be able to review it independently.

Lost was about religion. Sci-fi was just a good cover. I'm sorry you couldn't see it from the moment Mr.Eko opened his mouth.

Ps. Moviebob, if you read these(Which you dont) your pretty on the ball with most things. Ive watched damn near everything youve had to say, and this is the second time Ive disagreed with you. Not bad.

Also I'd like to say something I've said many times over

PERSIANS. Are. WHITE.

Not even the game portrays Persians as tanned or brown, I just finished forgotten sands and the prince is completely white.

WingedFortress:
Lost was about religion. Sci-fi was just a good cover. I'm sorry you couldn't see it from the moment Mr.Eko opened his mouth.

Ps. Moviebob, if you read these(Which you dont) your pretty on the ball with most things. Ive watched damn near everything youve had to say, and this is the second time Ive disagreed with you. Not bad.

Moviebob is right. Lost finale was a ridiculous joke.

Daveman:
THAT SAID the thing about "destiny" at the beginning and end. Anyone else think it was a shittier version of the "time is an ocean in a storm" speech from the game?

People think time is like a river, that it flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time and I can tell you... it's more like a big ball of wibbily-wobbily... timey-wimey... stuff.

Therumancer:
Honestly, for all the whining, I don't think the hypothetical guy who should have gotten this role actually exists.

Oded Fehr doesn't think you exist either!

Vitor Goncalves:
As for the ending, only explanation for MovieBob to not like it is, he was expecting it to be different from the game ending. And actually MovieBob, it was, or were you sleeping?!

Fortesque:

The man's name is Kakacocoapuffs. And when you say his name a door will open.

a humble yank? such a thing doth not exist!

RestamSalucard:

Vitor Goncalves:
As for the ending, only explanation for MovieBob to not like it is, he was expecting it to be different from the game ending. And actually MovieBob, it was, or were you sleeping?!

Bob, I think you've utterly and completely hit the nail on the head regarding video games getting made into films with the statement about "rising to the challenge." The problem with video games now is that they incorporate so many cinematic elements that making them into films is almost a step back if not standing right on the line. Back in the 16-bit (and earlier) days, the games didn't have "cinematic" elements, so there was more of a challenge involved in adapting them to the big screen. Sometimes it works, but most times not. Even then, when it works, it works because, to paraphrase what you said once before, "it has its guts ripped out" and replaced with recycled material. For example, the plot of the Mortal Kombat game doesn't lend itself all that well to a film, so its plot is replaced with that of Enter the Dragon.

Maybe we have to just accept the fact that it's entirely possible we've waited too long to adapt some of our favorite and most popular games into movies. The only video game film I'd ever get genuinely excited over is that once-hyped-but-now-revealed-as-just-a-rumored Metroid film with Ang Lee attached (of course, I'm one of those weirdos who really liked Ang Lee's version of The Hulk). Ah, well....

Huh...well damn, now I'm gonna have to go see it! >.<

As for the 'whitewashing' thing, I'm gonna go with 'they hate the main character's BLUE EYES.' I think that's the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Most other traits can be glossed over or hand-waved away, but blue eyes is quite the deal-breaker.

Also, I just realized that the spellchecker on this site accepts 'gonna' as a word...huh.

Vitor Goncalves:

RestamSalucard:

Vitor Goncalves:

As always, a very good review. I saw the movie yesterday and my thoughts towards it were exactly the same as yours. So thumbs up for that.

But what the hell is your guys problem with the final episode of Lost? It ended just like it began, with a lot of unanswered questions. Which to me is far better than answering all those questions in the final episode. It would be an information overflow if they did it like that. But how they actually did it, lets all viewers put their imagination into the series and have their very own ending.

Hope you understand my opinion. And Bob, looking very forward to the next episode^^

Greets,
OmikronApex

"First genuinely good video game movie?" That's what I said about Mortal Kombat (what?), Resident Evil, Silent Hill... and in that order! I'm not prepared to say that about this movie because I feel like there have been good adaptions of video games to movies that were both loyal to the game concept, and fun/interesting to watch.

Yeah, Yatzee pretty much covered the Persians don't sound Persian theme a while back - although in that case it was too American rather than too British.

i've never played the game but the film was really good

I just have to check this one out, a Diehard Prince of Persia fan HAS to sees this and give it's own judgement.

MovieBob:

UtopiaV1:
I think you stuck your neck out there for no reason, don't be suprised if someone bites you for it. Don't forget Judaism is a religion, not an ethnicity.

JUDAISM is a religion. However, the term used was "The Jewish Peoples," which much of anthropology classifies as a "race" - if not also an "ethnicity" - originating in the Middle East (note that the map depicts a period and area of the ancient Middle East, not the modern state of Israel) and subsequently migrating throughout the rest of the world; though one recognizes that this is one of those areas where the actual "split" between seperate cultures and seperate races is increasingly nebulous.

Primarily, it's in there because I found it interesting that Gyllenhaal is recieving the lion's share of grief over the film's casting of "white" actors in Middle Eastern and/or Persian roles, when in the not-too-distant past he wouldn't have been considered "white" to begin with (neither would any of the main cast except for Gemma Arterton, really.)

Oh good, for some reason I thought you'd circled Israel and I was all ready to hear the announcement you'd been kidnapped by extremists etc. Still, I suppose I overreacted, it's just like saying that most Americans originate from here:

Closing note, I think it's great that the lines between white and not-white are blurring, hopefully it'll make people more accepting of other people and cultures, and then we can all live in a world of rainbows and lollipops and children dancing with gumdrop smiles. Seriously, I really hope that's the case.

Subzerowings:
Lost ended?
Yeah right....
Soon you'll probably see some lame commercial where every one is back on the island again (again).

No we won't.

Anyway, I thought the movie was great fun. It's the first movie that I'm actually proud to say to people that it was based on a video game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here