Escape to the Movies: Splice

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Pallindromemordnillap:

Macflash:
Nice review, but honestly, has movie bob ever said a movie was bad? It feels like he ends every review with 'go watch this movie'. Personally, this movie tends to veer away from all the high brow stuff he talked about, and just goes towards horror movie at the end. It's not bad, but it's not all that good.

Erm, exactly how many of Bob's reviews have you watched? The Robin Hood or Clash of the Titans ones you seem to have missed, as he said they were 'meh'. Then there's The Losers, Alice in Wonderland, Book of Eli, Legion...and that's not getting into any movie he reviewed that starred Megan Fox. Seriously, there's been loads he didn't like, pay attention

He obviously didn't watch this one, or else he would have noticed the whole MICHAEL BAY'S TMNT IS GONNA SUCK. Then again, he may just have thought Bob was pointing out the obvious.

DAVID HEWLETT IS IN THAT!!! WOOH FOR RODNEY... You've inspired me to see it though I'd see it just for that

At the sixth page of comments, I don't know if this needs to be said but I love redundancy.
The trailers make Splice look like Species. So if it's amazing, and no one goes to see it, blame marketing.

I thought this was going to suck too.

You had me the moment that it decided not to go with the whole ''thou must not tamper in god's domain.'

I thought for certain it was going to do that and that I was going to be eye rolling throughout the whole thing.

Bob, please be careful when using the phrase "this year's District 9."

Splice was good, but it was nowhere near District 9. Not even close. Yes, it did Science Fiction better than most Frankenstein-esque movies, but that doesn't put it on the same playing field as District 9. Short of one or two "ewwww" moments, I don't think this has quite the cultural impact you think it does.

It was worth the eight bucks, don't get me wrong, but there is no way I'd go see it twice and I'm certainly not going to buy it on DvD. I understand it is hard to put butts in seats, but don't start using improper similes like "this year's District 9" just to get us to go see a movie you liked.

Even so, thanks for the review. It was nice to see a horror movie that actually had some brains behind it and wasn't just a mindless slasher flick...even if it didn't have as much brains as District 9. And even if it was disgustingly sick at the end.

Like ewwww.

As a side note: there is a certain type of audience that goes to horror movies. You know the type, the people who yell at the screen. That sort of broke the immersion a bit, especially during a couple of those emotional scenes. But I can't blame the movie for attracting the audience it did, though I can blame the audience for making a potentially powerful scene less powerful.

I've never actually heard of this movie until now, i want to see it now though.

It may be hard to convince people to go and see it though.

Johanthemonster666:
I'm sorry, but saying "..it's this year's District 9" doesn't really say much. "District 9" was a mediocre film in my opinion and this film seems to take the classical "let's talk about cloning gone horribly wrong".

Another thing, why would the "We're tampering in God's Domain" be a bad theme? That's how we've essentially f***ed up everything else by going in way over our heads in a shallow attempt at making scientific progress for the sake of human civilization.

I couldn't disagree with you more.
I liked district 9, thought it was one of the best sci fi films to come out for a long time.
But I'm not going to argue about that. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions n such forth.

But the second part
"why would "We're tampering in God's Domain" be a bad theme?".
Well..... for one thing its been done to death.
Every movie about a scientist who touches on one of the so called 'taboo's' ends up being a ridiculously pseudo moralistic piece of trash, aimed at getting a cheap reaction.
The whole 'some things only god can do' is a bit of an outdated notion.
More fitting for the days when god still got credit for making the sun rise and crops grow, yadah yadah yadah.

We should be past this whole indignant attempt to shame our scientists out of progress.
And you're basically asking for social stagnation if you don't want scientists to push the boundaries.

Remember things such as blood transfusion, stem cell research, abortions heck even basic understanding of human anatomy was considered to be (and still is in some cases) a taboo subject, or not for us to tamper with.
If it wasn't for scientists willing to push the boundaries of social and moral acceptance then we would still be living in the dark ages praying to some sky father to heal the sick and solve all our woes. (well some people still do that) but for the rest of us, the people who are willing to step on gods toes have made life a hell of a lot more liveable.

Hey thanks a bunch Bob I saw "Cube". It is fucking blowing my mind on how creepy it was and how I would have died in the first few seconds if in the same situation. Thats for the reference I am now going to watch all of these over again just to see your good movie references!

Frankfurter4444:

As a side note: there is a certain type of audience that goes to horror movies. You know the type, the people who yell at the screen. That sort of broke the immersion a bit, especially during a couple of those emotional scenes. But I can't blame the movie for attracting the audience it did, though I can blame the audience for making a potentially powerful scene less powerful.

lol
that never happens here in the UK.
or at least. never that i'v seen.
obviously in the case of comedies theres laughter, and screams here n there in a good horror.
but one thing we don't get is people actually vocalising what they're thinking.
iv always wondered about that steriotype you see in some films of people shouting at the cinema scream.
i bet it gets kind of annoying.

It's a good film that's really anchored by the performances of three great anchors. Sarah Polley has probably the best and most chilling performance in the film.

That said, I don't think the film quite stands up against Cronenberg's best body horror work, which is clearly the template Splice is working from. Splice was entertaining and psychologically engaging in a way I didn't expect it to be, but it didn't quite hit the same intensity of physical violation that makes Cronenberg's work so memorable. It comes close though, and that, along with the amazing performances, makes it well worth anyone's time.

dathwampeer:
lol
that never happens here in the UK.
or at least. never that i'v seen.
obviously in the case of comedies theres laughter, and screams here n there in a good horror.
but one thing we don't get is people actually vocalising what they're thinking.
iv always wondered about that steriotype you see in some films of people shouting at the cinema scream.
i bet it gets kind of annoying.

It does get annoying.

The entire mindset in a horror movie seems to be to yell out every once in a while to break the tension. I'm not a fan of horror movies already; but if I want to see one, I don't need someone else in the audience thinking he's doing a public service.

I'll try and avoid spoiling the movie, but there is a pretty graphic scene (that you shouldn't take your wife/girlfriend to see) that is probably delivered pretty well, but the noises the audience made sort of downplayed what was a really graphic scene that would have been hard to watch if the audience had actually *watched* it instead of noted how grotesque it was.

Axolotl:
Since when was putting actual science in Sci-Fi a good thing?

It almost always dates the whole project.

It only dates the project later on. If you see accurate science fiction when it's new, it's almost always better than "Sci-Fi". Really if you don't have any actual science in it, then it's just fiction.

And wow, I'm completely surprised. I was NOT expecting this movie to be any good, but now I'm actually excited to see it.

I'm a little disapointed here. I practically ALWAYS guess if the movies going to be good or bad correctly, but I was wrong this time :(

Vredesbyrd67:
I saw commercials for it on the tele-tube, but at the time I thought it was just another generic sci-fi monster movie. Good to know there's a good horror film I can see in theaters this summer.

Also, I'm actually looking forward to "Get Him to the Greek" solely for Russell Brand in his returning role as Aldous Snow. The only thing I'm worried about is that they're gonna try to use Jonah Hill to get people into theaters by giving him more gags and screen time than the much funnier and more talented Russell Brand.

Agree on Splice.

Although about Jonah Hill; he's very, very funny for a kid his age. Check out his interview on Jimmy Kimmell. He's fairly fresh faced in the business and hasn't had a chance other than Superbad to express his own style of realistic, pseudo-hipster, young-adult comedy.

Bob, I enjoy your wit, I have huge respect for your knowledge of film, and I usually agree with your reviews.

But just like Christopher Hitchens, who is a damned fine journalist, you tend to turn into something of a douche bag when it comes to religion. I am by no means suggesting that your views and attitudes shouldn't be a part of your reviews; I am just pointing out that proselytising from an atheist pulpit is just as dickish as proselytising from a religious one. Not all religious folk are Bible thumping nut-bags, especially outside of America, where the nut-bags would appear to have taken over the whole religion thing.

Otherwise, keep up the good work.

Benj17:

sephiroth1991:
This film has completely gone under the radar here in england i have not seen even a poster on a phonebox of this film. Never heared of it, but i might check it out.

I can't actually find any cinema listings for it in Birmingham, bit of a shit really

I hear we in the U.K must wait till August 6th for a release http://www.imdb.com/news/ni2433777/ kind of annoying really

"Ha ha ha, the chubby man fall down go boom!"
I've watched those 3 seconds at least 500 times by now.

The rest of the review was crap as always.

dathwampeer:
We should be past this whole indignant attempt to shame our scientists out of progress.
And you're basically asking for social stagnation if you don't want scientists to push the boundaries.

Remember things such as blood transfusion, stem cell research, abortions heck even basic understanding of human anatomy was considered to be (and still is in some cases) a taboo subject, or not for us to tamper with.
If it wasn't for scientists willing to push the boundaries of social and moral acceptance then we would still be living in the dark ages praying to some sky father to heal the sick and solve all our woes. (well some people still do that) but for the rest of us, the people who are willing to step on gods toes have made life a hell of a lot more liveable.

Yeah, Josef Mengele was a regular champion of humanity. Modern neurology was basically a product of nazi scientists cutting open the heads of live people and going to work on their brains with everything from electric shocks to acid. Doing shit forbidden by metaphysical ethics isn't ipso facto a just and worthy rebellion against the benightedness of the status quo, my friend.

What we CAN do always needs to be tempered by what we SHOULD do. Always. If the world's scientists set their minds to it, we could probably create a weapon that only targets certain genetic traits, thus wiping out, say, black people, or near-sighted ones. Hell, rumours abound that South Africa had been working on just such a project, designed at sterilising the black population, during the Apartheid days. Hell, were NATO to have such a weapon, we'd beat the Taliban by next week. And according to you, we SHOULD build it, am I right? To say that that would be wrong means I molest children and hate gays, right? Who needs such obsolete concepts as "right" and "wrong" any more, when we can have "comfort" and "profit"?

It's not about religion, although hatred of religion is a convenient tool for pseudo-educated douche bags to get all smug and feel smarter than other people. It's about ETHICS. By equating faith and ethics, and dismissing the latter because you dislike the former, you condone everything science does by declaring every criticism against it as an enemy of "progress". That's a very dangerous path to tread.

So.. I'm still not sure if I'll go and see Splice at the cinema... But... This is by the guy who is rumored to be directing Neuromancer? There is hope again!

Sizzo:
And now, I watch this review and see that RODNEY F*****G MCKAY from Stargate Atlantis in "Splice"...... am I weird or what?

I literally decided to see this movie as soon as I saw him. God I love him...

So I caved and did a double feature: Splice and Get Him to the Greek.

Splice is pretty damn good, more or less what Bob said. I do dislike comparing it to District 9 however as I felt that film was more unique than this one, though I was indeed surprised how unique this one got. May be the best original sci-fi flick of the year though, but we've still got a lot of year left before we can call it.

Get Him to the Greek meanwhile I can easily call this year's Hangover. Yeah, you know, the Hangover? Last year's best comedy? Get Him to the Greek is easier compare to that than Splice is to District 9. Just bear that in mind.

obisean:

Aran:
Do not put commercials I can't skip into my escapist clips or I will stop watching them. You have been warned.

They get paid to show those commercials, and the commercials are pretty essential to keeping the site running. How do you think they earn the money necessary to pay the guy doing the video? Kinda like how you get free TV, and have to sit through the ads. Even Youtube is doing forceful ads before videos now. If you don't want commercials, put up a $20 (I think it's $20) donation to the site, and you will view the entire site completely ad free among other perks.

Joke's on you. I don't watch TV. I buy boxed versions of the shows I'm interested in.

hmmm, i haven't been to the movies in 3 months now... well i know what im going to see when it comes out here. sounds like a good movie, my friend told me about it after i told her about the splicers in Bioshock.

I just gotta say it, I saw this movie and well frankly... Even Movie Bob can be wrong, this movie sucked!

Definitely going to go watch this movie!

Aran:

obisean:

Aran:
Do not put commercials I can't skip into my escapist clips or I will stop watching them. You have been warned.

They get paid to show those commercials, and the commercials are pretty essential to keeping the site running. How do you think they earn the money necessary to pay the guy doing the video? Kinda like how you get free TV, and have to sit through the ads. Even Youtube is doing forceful ads before videos now. If you don't want commercials, put up a $20 (I think it's $20) donation to the site, and you will view the entire site completely ad free among other perks.

Joke's on you. I don't watch TV. I buy boxed versions of the shows I'm interested in.

Actually, the joke's still on you 'cause then it shouldn't bother you to spend 20$ for an ad-free site.

I saw this movie yesterday and I would like to list something
Note: had to be covered for spoilers
HUGE SPOILERS!!!!!!

OK, I saw this movie a few hours after I saw this review....

First of all, "This year's District 9"? Fuck. No. Wait, let me clarify: Most of this movie is really good. I can even recommend it based on the merits of the first two acts. But the ending...

sephiroth1991:
This film has completely gone under the radar here in england i have not seen even a poster on a phonebox of this film. Never heared of it, but i might check it out.

There doesn't even seem to be an offical UK release date yet, which I'm very upset about :(.

Archangel357:
I am just pointing out that proselytizing from an atheist pulpit is just as dickish as proselytizing from a religious one. Not all religious folk are Bible thumping nut-bags, especially outside of America, where the nut-bags would appear to have taken over the whole religion thing.

I think the biggest Bible Thumpers I've seen tend to be Atheists. They usually point out the most violent moments in The Bible. Even the sugar coated stuff like Noah's Ark which was a story of genocide.

Not only that but the history of violence inspired by The Bible such as the Dark/Middle Ages Crusades & Inquisitions, The killing of Jews during WW2, The Jonestown Massacre, The Events that helped lead to the sieges of Waco & Ruby Ridge which had also lead to The Oklahoma City Bombing, and the child molestation by Catholic Church all come to mind.

To say one is no better than the other is to throw the reasons of why someone would think that aside. Just because you may not want to really think about it. Cherry picking your Theism can only lead to questioning to why you would associate with that Theism. And if you didn't know, Atheists aren't an "ism". Just an agreement on the lack of proof of Gods.

But as far as Splice goes it was a movie about "Not Messing In God's Domain". Especially when you get to the end. The movie even at the near beginning emphasizes that.

Aran:

obisean:

Aran:

Keyword highlighted.
By buying the box set, you buy your way out of commercials. Just like how I bought my way out of them on this site.

Have to agree with Frozen Donkey Wheel2 on this one. The first 2 acts are good; however, they do not make up for the absolutely TERRIBLE third act. As stated earlier, you talked about the human centipede's "WHAT AM I LOOKING AT" factor being its only trait. Although Splice has more going for it than that, it falls back into what the human centipede did. Everything got thrown out the window; you know what I'm talking about.

Also one more thing:

Dark Templar:
I had no idea this movie even existed till now, is that bad?

nope cause i haven't seen alot of commercials or posters for it. Just adds and trailers on Rotten Tomatoes

obisean:

Aran:

obisean:

Aran:

Keyword highlighted.
By buying the box set, you buy your way out of commercials. Just like how I bought my way out of them on this site.

I'm flattered that you're all so keen to see me stay here. I would've thought none would notice one less dude watching clips.

But the thing is if you buy special accounts on the internet all you'll achieve is encouraging more sites to put up forced commercials and offer special accounts as a way out instead of sticking with the non intrusive banners. It's sending out the wrong message.

I was convinced by the previews for this that it would be terrible, but this review convinced me and my girlfriend to see it.

And Splice is one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

Julianking93:

One thing that pissed me off though is seeing all the bullshit people have been writing/saying like "This will either be the biggest guilty pleasure of the year or be the biggest piece of shit of the the year"

How exactly? This movie looks fantastic from the trailer.

From the trailer, buddy.

The movie itself was pretty fucked up to say the least.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here