Escapist News Network: GearGasm 5: The Perspectiving

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Is there an iPad by Graham's hands? Anyway great episode.

They did 2nd person combat in Battletoads. I always thought that was a cool concept. More applicable to boss fights. I can imagine a Zelda boss fight from a 2nd person perspective.

squid5580:

lordzomg:
i just read Peter Molyneux's blog he's already started hypeing 2nd and 4th person view for fable 3 oh god WHY

Because he is a fan of ENN? Maybe he thinks it is a real news show. At least now we know who to blame when 2nd and 4th person shooters flood the market.

I agree with you on 4th person shooters, but I really want to play a second person shooter now, because that sounds totally awesome

7ru7h:

squid5580:

lordzomg:
i just read Peter Molyneux's blog he's already started hypeing 2nd and 4th person view for fable 3 oh god WHY

Because he is a fan of ENN? Maybe he thinks it is a real news show. At least now we know who to blame when 2nd and 4th person shooters flood the market.

I agree with you on 4th person shooters, but I really want to play a second person shooter now, because that sounds totally awesome

All except that nasty little lets reverse the controls bit I liked the idea as well. I still have nightmares about the final boss of Beyond Good and Evil.

Also I think Nintendo might have made a 2nd person game. The name Giest keeps poppin in my mind. I could be completely off though.

squid5580:

7ru7h:

squid5580:

lordzomg:

All except that nasty little lets reverse the controls bit I liked the idea as well. I still have nightmares about the final boss of Beyond Good and Evil.

Also I think Nintendo might have made a 2nd person game. The name Giest keeps poppin in my mind. I could be completely off though.

Never played either of those games, but the control reverse could be pretty maddening. If anything, it would almost make more sense to not reverse the controls. I move the stick to the left, I (the char I'm looking at) moves to the left. About the only thing you would have to have reversed would be the Y-Axis, that way when you press down, you move towards the char you are viewing yourself from.

But that then brings up the question, would the controls have to be constantly changing? Like after you passed your viewing char, wouldn't it have to switch back to normal controls? They would never be const-

7ru7h:

squid5580:

7ru7h:

squid5580:

lordzomg:

Never played either of those games, but the control reverse could be pretty maddening. If anything, it would almost make more sense to not reverse the controls. I move the stick to the left, I (the char I'm looking at) moves to the left. About the only thing you would have to have reversed would be the Y-Axis, that way when you press down, you move towards the char you are viewing yourself from.

But that then brings up the question, would the controls have to be constantly changing? Like after you passed your viewing char, wouldn't it have to switch back to normal controls? They would never be const-

Yeah the final boss of BGAE reverses the controls on you. Left is right up is down. Frustrating as hell!!!! Especially since the game doesn't warn you. BASTARDS!!!!

I never played Giest either. I just remember seeing an episode of Reviews on the Run and they mentioned that part of the game is in 2nd person. I think. I don't think you got to kill yourself though.

death scream sounds like an awesome game. Second person actually seems like it would make a fun mode for spectacle fighters.

squid5580:

7ru7h:

squid5580:

7ru7h:

squid5580:

lordzomg:

Yeah the final boss of BGAE reverses the controls on you. Left is right up is down. Frustrating as hell!!!! Especially since the game doesn't warn you. BASTARDS!!!!

I never played Giest either. I just remember seeing an episode of Reviews on the Run and they mentioned that part of the game is in 2nd person. I think. I don't think you got to kill yourself though.

I imagine it would be. I know in at least one of the zelda games (LTTP?) in one of the dungeons a miniboss, hell it may have just been a minion, would randomly make the controls go all screwy.

But I think the main problem with 2nd person would be that the controls would have to jump around depending where the PC is in relation to the viewing NPC... which would be both less and more confusing than simple control reversals.

2nd and 4th person?! But, what about 5th person mode? You can call it: "Mister Mxyzptlk's Awesome Adventures."

+25 Internet Points to anyone who knows the reference.

"It's like Farmville, only set in the time of the Oregon Trail; so all your tools are really inefficient and all your crops die of dysentery."
Hilarious!
Also I think I pirated my life too.

7ru7h:

squid5580:

7ru7h:

squid5580:

7ru7h:

squid5580:

lordzomg:

I imagine it would be. I know in at least one of the zelda games (LTTP?) in one of the dungeons a miniboss, hell it may have just been a minion, would randomly make the controls go all screwy.

But I think the main problem with 2nd person would be that the controls would have to jump around depending where the PC is in relation to the viewing NPC... which would be both less and more confusing than simple control reversals.

I dunno if that would be really neccesary. Changing the controls and all. In a regular 1st or 3rd you don't need to change the controls because the enemy is to the left or right of you. I understand how it makes logical sense but I don't see the need for it. Any immersion you might have gained from the whack ass controls would be lost trying to figure it out. Especially if you are jumping through NPCs and your controls change with your perspective. It would definitely be reserved for those who beat "I wanna be the guy".

I never put 2-and-2 together...

Did I just pirate my life?

*cries*

Great stuff, guys!
and the salad thing was disgusting XD

Man, I totally thought of this a few months ago. Haha.

The Windows version of the 2nd person game (more like a prototype or tech-demo, really) Missing Inaction can be found here. It's weird. Could possibly benefit from a different control scheme - at present it feels like Resident Evil (1-3) with strafing and a moving camera which might not always look at you.

You guys always make my day slightly better.

Also, I... think I would actually try a game in Second-Person perspective. That sounds kinda clever, in a way. 0_0

Jbird:
2nd and 4th person?! But, what about 5th person mode? You can call it: "Mister Mxyzptlk's Awesome Adventures."

You mean the Superman villain Mxyzptlk from the 5th dimension.

What about adventures across the 8th dimension?

Awesome, I've been joking about how a second person game would work for years! I demand to see video footage of this great new game!

Best line ever: "Wow, did I pirate my life?"

And Kathleen was hilarious at the beginning!

Excellent episode guys!

RiffRaff:

DTWolfwood:
the 2nd Person perspective kill in God of War 3 was neat!

Came here to say 2nd Person was already done in GoWIII in the Poseidon (I think?) kill. At the time I thought it was very cool and innovative.

I dimly recall boss fights in Psychonauts and a Ratchet & Clank game pulling it too...

Yeah, quite a few games have a bossfight from the perspective of the boss. I'm not entirely convinced that this can really be called "second person" though.

I'm also a bit reminded of the control scheme in Experience113 (aka The Experiment), where you're controlling cameras, lights, and gadgets around the main character, but not the characters themselves. That was actually kinda fun. Shame the game didn't get finished properly.

We've had 2nd Person mode, both a boss in Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Rayman 2!

Falseprophet:

Jbird:

You mean the Superman villain Mxyzptlk from the 5th dimension.

What about adventures across the 8th dimension?

+10 Internet Points for an awesome subtitle =D

Actually I'm pretty sure there WAS a game that featured "second person view" mode :D.
Or maybe it was just a joke about it few ears ago and my memory is playing tricks on me...

Whatever great ENN as always ^_^. And Microsoft battery idea WILL CHANGE THE WORLD!

Is it possible to have pirated my life before I was born? Blast my parents for pirating me!

What an opening :-) Great Episode

yup, I think Ive pirated my life too

great episode as always, i want a copy of Death Scream 2: Scream-ageddon :p

I vaguely remember playing a Half Life 2 mod where you could play in "second person". It was a horror-ish game.

Wouldn't second person mode be more like the little window at the bottom of DOOM which showed your marine's face getting covered in blood and looking angry?

Fantastic episode. I have SO much respect for your guys for managing to keep straight faces through your lines (at least long enough for a take). It's that impressive. I could never do it.

Did everyone pirate their life? T.T

Yes! Yes! I've been wishing for so long to have a 2nd person shooter that I was already drawing up plans. Awesomesauce! /nerdgasm

Graham's line about pirating his life really made my day.

What about EyeToy and Wii games? They're technically second person.

Illessa:

RiffRaff:

DTWolfwood:
the 2nd Person perspective kill in God of War 3 was neat!

Came here to say 2nd Person was already done in GoWIII in the Poseidon (I think?) kill. At the time I thought it was very cool and innovative.

I dimly recall boss fights in Psychonauts and a Ratchet & Clank game pulling it too...

Yes, you had to run from a giant mutant fish monster at the bottom of the sea, but you saw yourself from the perspective of the giant mutant fish monster. I think it is a very effective way of doing that because being your avatar chased from behind (mostly) you don't have to change the controls much, it's like a very uncomfortable and far third person view.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here