Zero Punctuation: Singularity

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Good review. Yahtzee has mentioned this whole alternative history thing before and i think the games industry should heed his advice.

Loving the credit comment about it being better than Wolfenstein...

Excellent, I wish I could go back in time to watch it again. Oh wait, I can! *presses replay button*. Wow, the past is amazing.

Oddly enough I actually wrote this in the past but you're now reading it in the future. Wooooo scary stuff etc..

On the original topic: I've already said what I thought of the game in the review, which is why I'm not making much of an effort to make any real comment about it.

I was also very disappointed by the plot twist at the end, however if you go for the good ending, there is a better secondary twist there (aside from the obvious statue). Pay especially attention to the differences in the dialog.

But I agree, the story has more plot holes than emmental cheese.

Adam & The Ants reference...

Love +1

I can't believe you referenced The Human Centipede. Eeeeeeeeew.

Sentient6:
Rather disappointing, because I had to end it half way through, because I HATE SPOILERS.

It's not really a spoiler as it's established within the first 5 minutes of the game. Plus Yatzhee didn't mention the whole of the twist anyway, there is still a small detail.

And anyway, it's not at all the type of game you play for the story, don't worry.

Tis sad that the studio that is capable of creating such nice games like Hexen, Jedi Academy and X-Men Origins: Wolverine usually create some third leg poop. Sad.

Thanks for the spoiler warning. Even though it seems shitty, I hate being spoilered.

A note? Seriously?

Leftnt Sharpe:
I'm still trying to figure out what Yahtzee meant by, more holes than Blackburn. I'm just going to awesome it was some sort of insult, in which case: bravo Yahtzee.!

It's a Beatles reference. A brilliant one at that.

More holes than Blackburn, Lancashire... good one. I'm not even a big fan of that album (it's sooooooo overrated, give me Pet Sounds over it any day), but that cracked me up.

Bloodstain:
Thanks for the spoiler warning. Even though it seems shitty, I hate being spoilered.

A note? Seriously?

If you think the note is bad, you're lucky you didn't have the "plot twist" spoiled for you.

References to Back to the Future, Doctor Who, AND The Human Centipede? Bravo, Mr. Croshaw. Bravo.

EDIT: The Beatles, too!

My friend guessed the Plot Twist right when we found the messages.

I was like "God Damnit, you ruined the game you dick!"

Uh... Yahtzee... I think you missed the point >.<

Fun review, as always!

MrSnugglesworth:

"I WAS WRONG" did kinda give it away bigtime.

redscum:

MrSnugglesworth:

"I WAS WRONG" did kinda give it away bigtime.

Yeah, I felt they could have been a lot more subtle with the messages.

lol, took the word right out of my mouth; couple video(I didn't actually played the game but merely watch a walkthrough on youtube) into the game I find myself comparing Singularity to Bioshock and Timeshift, didn't thought about half-life but I must admit it's a pretty good fit regarding the story element. Didn't really like the ending though, so I guess what I'm saying is I'm giving Singularity a thumbs down. Looking forward to the next review.

coincidentally, I finished this game today.

I just cant wrap my mind around the part of "you need to kill yourself"
no... why? why the hell would I do that, why cant I go back in time, and shoot the Russian dude i'm getting to safety?

Necrith:
coincidentally, I finished this game today.

no... why? why the hell would I do that, why cant I go back in time, and shoot the Russian dude i'm getting to safety?

Because you probably go back in time to stop you from stop you.

WTF YAHTZEE!!!!!!!!!!
U GAVE AWAY THE F*CKING SPOILER!?!?!?!?
YOU PRICK!!!

I WILL NEVER WATCH ANOTHER ZP, GO FU*K A CACTUS YOU TOSSER!

Necrith:

Because if you just go back in time and shoot Demechev, there's a chance he might survive. He's a tough guy. Over the course of the game you shoot him several times... you shoot him and he falls out a window, and at end of the game you shoot him with a pistol and then he gets back up and argues with you.

If you just shoot Demechev while your past self is carrying Demechev, then chances are your past self will still carry him to safety, and he might survive his wounds. (Especially because there is a room full of scientists that would rush to help him.) To be absolutely sure you can't screw things up anymore, you have to kill yourself.

Holy_Handgrenade:
Anyone have any idea what the refrence to Blackburn was about?

The only reason I was intrigued was because I am from Burnley there footballing rivals.

Just in case nobody messaged you, or you haven't checked back on this topic since you asked: it's a quote from a Beatles song, specifically 'A Day In The Life'. To paraphrase: apparently there were four thousand holes in Blackburn, which were very small but they all had to be counted; as a result they now know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

...there may have been drugs involved. But it's a fantastic song, so yeah.

Funny review as always. Strange to see a mention of Flambards, but I have similarly grim memories - that bloody Hornet rollercoaster wasn't much fun for me as a child.

Points on name-checking Gamera, referencing the Beatles and the shot of the TARDIS.

However, like others have said, did you really need to reference The Human Centipede, Yahtzee? Seriously, I'm still not quite over that movie and I saw it three months ago! Hell, my girlfriend didn't even see it, but she was so disgusted by my description of it that even she retched when the reference came up!

Still, I found it interesting Yahtzee found it better than Wolfenstein, as I thoroughly enjoyed that game. Say whatever you will about it, but I at least personally found it to be closer in spirit to the original Wolfenstein 3-D than Return to Castle Wolfenstein was supposed to have been (walking around with crazy weapons the Nazis supposedly developed, fighting bizarre enemies also spawned from said experiments and searching for hidden treasure).

Also, I've been a fan of Raven since Heretic and I'm hard-pressed to think of a single game that they did that I would have considered "bad." Their output has been pretty good and consistent. So if Yahtzee thinks Singularity was bad, but better than Wolfenstein, that means there's a pretty good chance I'll enjoy it even more than Wolfenstein. Either that or I'm just easy to please.

Flambards! ive been there! did you see the firework show at the end?

all i can think about now is a guy in a bear suit dancing to the chihuahua song
do dodo do do chihuahua do dodo do do chihuahua

Never even heard of this game, but in any case I enjoyed this video a lot.

NeonZombie:
meh

agreed with a little "bleh" added

"more holes than Blackburn, Lancashire"
You know, years have passed since that song and we still have terrible pot holes.

And plot holes.

Incredibly awesome Human Centipede reference. Good job.

He forgot the 125mb usb you can get with the game, because you can totally use it to keep your pron on :P

Edit: lol at those who are qqing over the spoiled plot, you're silly for being butthurt over the ending any normal person would predict at the beginning. And Dumbledore dies.

I have to admit, I was seriously disappointed by the way the age-revert system worked. I understand that the monstrosities people became is supposedly their fetal/placental forms, but with the same amount of mass as they have now, but it's still absolutely retarded. First of all, the 'equivalent mass' bullshit doesn't play a part in putting a can back together, or fixing stairs. It's just an obvious attempt to make the game seem more presentable, since people would have issues with killing babies.

Except I wouldn't have an issue with killing babies. First of all, it's a game; you're already killing things. Just because that thing happens to be younger now doesn't change the fact that you're going to kill it. Besides, what about Dante's Inferno, or even Silent Hill? Sure, they were demonic babies for the most part, but they were still babies.

All that, and the incredibly shitty attempt at a plot twist really disappointed me. The puzzles weren't as good as I'd hoped, either, though that's possibly since I've pretty much seen everything you can do with time puzzles thanks to Braid and PoP. Either way, I agree with Yahtzee: an attempt to be three different games, and being shittier than all of them. See also: Spore.

Hilarious as always, I wouldn't mind fighting a boss made of asparagus. *seriously*

I lol'd when he said, "like a human centipede stretching through time". Classic!

oh dear Yahtzee - I am choking on air.
I lewld at dudelet injecting his eye balls with dr00gs :D

We really do need asparagus based characters in this moment in time, yes sir. Games are becoming so vague and mundane.

wtf_yahtzee:
WTF YAHTZEE!!!!!!!!!!
U GAVE AWAY THE F*CKING SPOILER!?!?!?!?
YOU PRICK!!!

I WILL NEVER WATCH ANOTHER ZP, GO FU*K A CACTUS YOU TOSSER!

HAhA

pwnt.

There cannot be a spoiler get it?

I'm from Cornwall, I know his pain regarding Flambards amusement park. It's one of the places that didn't manage to get hit by the fun stamp during creation.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here