Zero Punctuation: Crackdown 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Like world of Warcraft subscribers in direct sunlight. EPIC.

Like World of Warcraft subscribers in direct sunlight. Epic.

The sounds when he talks about the jacuzzi get me EVERY FUCKING TIME! I always look at my phone (in the hopes that someone calls me on this lonely day D:)

No seriously, why do people only call me when I have other plans? I am totally free today! Goddammit!

Great episode. Most sequels are always worse than the game before it..

"Most"

The Crackdown series never quite appealed to me. I played the first one for fifteen minutes at a friend's house, jumping around, though I spent the last five minutes pretending I was actually having fun while secretly wishing he'd propose doing something different because I didn't want to sound like an ass. It's fun, mindless fun, but after some time it just felt extremely empty. By the time I had jumped from the tallest building in Pacific city four times, I had already seen all I wanted to see. In my opinion, game developers need to understand that a game cannot rely on sightseeing and wacky dynamics solely, but use these to make a solid gameplay element better, which, to me, lacked a lot in Crackdown. I've heard that Crackdown 2 is more of the same, so I'll just ignore it.

Nice review,liked the World of Warcraft joke.

QuiB25:
Do the first two people that respond to something get put on probation automatically or what? I'm really trying to figure out why they were.

Anyway great vid. I might have to check out the first crackdown.

It's because they make a response before 5 minutes after the video has been released because they couldn't possibly have watched a 5 minute video in 2 minutes.

OT: Liked the WoW subscriber joke even though I am a WoW subscriber.

Review transformers: War for cybertron next!!!

Ickorus:

QuiB25:
Do the first two people that respond to something get put on probation automatically or what? I'm really trying to figure out why they were.

Anyway great vid. I might have to check out the first crackdown.

It's because they make a response before 5 minutes after the video has been released because they couldn't possibly have watched a 5 minute video in 2 minutes.

OT: Liked the WoW subscriber joke even though I am a WoW subscriber.

That's interesting, since the second post apparently went up at 12:03, but he pointed out the cell interference 4 minutes in.

I liked UT. Not for the multi-player per se but rather for the game structure. No story, just get in various colorful arenas and shoot at people. In my case they were generally ai, but they worked well enough and there were some really slick levels.

It was one of those games you could really sit down and play for 5 minutes then turn off if you had to. Lots of games like to claim that nowadays but most are lying through their teeth.

-As usual I enjoyed and agreed with the rest of the video's points.

RobfromtheGulag:
I liked UT. Not for the multi-player per se but rather for the game structure. No story, just get in various colorful arenas and shoot at people. In my case they were generally ai, but they worked well enough and there were some really slick levels.

It was one of those games you could really sit down and play for 5 minutes then turn off if you had to. Lots of games like to claim that nowadays but most are lying through their teeth.

-As usual I enjoyed and agreed with the rest of the video's points.

Sneaky time treavellers.

Has anyone else noticed the occasional glitchy shot transition that's happening in the latest videos?

I would probably rent this if I had an XBox 360.

I still remember when the game was on the Megadrive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-fvHfW-zU

Yahtzee has stolen my thoughts!

meganmeave:
Legitimate complaints all.

But I still found mowing over hundreds of freaks in my Agency SUV to be uniquely satisfying. The people in games like Saint's Row run away from you if you try to do this. The freaks just get angry and surge, making the squishy mess all the more satisfying.

I do wish they had given us a new city to play in. And the loss of the bosses was a bad idea. I don't know why they did that.

But I still had fun playing it.

I wish there was some mod that could put Crackdown 1's bosses and interiors with Crackdown 2's graphics and mechanics... best game ever!

MiracleOfSound:

meganmeave:

But I still found mowing over hundreds of freaks in my Agency SUV to be uniquely satisfying. The people in games like Saint's Row run away from you if you try to do this. The freaks just get angry and surge, making the squishy mess all the more satisfying.

I do wish they had given us a new city to play in. And the loss of the bosses was a bad idea. I don't know why they did that.

I wish there was some mod that could put Crackdown 1's bosses and interiors with Crackdown 2's graphics and mechanics... best game ever!

You watch. I just bet there will be some DLC like that. That's probably why they took it out, so they could sell it to us later. ;)

meganmeave:

MiracleOfSound:

meganmeave:

You watch. I just bet there will be some DLC like that. That's probably why they took it out, so they could sell it to us later. ;)

I would so buy that. Come on Ruffian, do your dick move!

solidstatemind:

ewhac:

solidstatemind:

RE: the weird sound:

It's not really cellphone interference... well not directly, anyway. It's actually Bluetooth interference. [ ... ]

I strongly doubt this is correct.

Cell phones have been generating that characteristic RFI buzz for years, long before Bluetooth achieved wide adoption. Further, Bluetooth operates over the 2.4GHz band, the same bands as 802.11[bgn] wireless networking. If transmissions over the 2.4GHz band were causing that buzzing, we would have noticed it the moment we put a Wireless Access Point in our homes.

I often hear this buzz right before I receive a call or a text. My personal guess is that there's a common transceiver component that everyone uses (because it's cheap and it "works") that spills a lot of noise into a band that amplifiers can pick up at close range. If the Federal Communications Commission were actually fulfilling its charter, this sort of thing would have been investigated and fixed by now.

Believe what you wish. I can't change your mind. Note, however, that your 'deduction' (which is flawed because Bluetooth uses frequency hopping - at 1,600 hops per second- to hop over the entire 2.4 GHz band. 802.11b, on the other hand, uses direct sequence and only occupies approximately one third of the 2.4 GHz band. As a result, Bluetooth hops all over 802.11b transmissions) is no more valid than me saying, oh, that I have studied this artifacting problem for a major company, specifically in regards to when this phenomena is experienced using bluetooth hardware, and not just cell phones-- at least in this forum. We're not really presenting scientific data here.

It was more of an interesting aside anyway. If it's that important to you; fine- you're 'right'. It's not worth arguing about. Personally, I'll say no more on the subject.

winter2:

What he said. I used to get that interference sound when I was in college back in.. erm... 94 or so. It always preceded a call or a text message.

See above. Although I find it interesting that you were using SMS in '94... talk about an early adopter.

Not really. I was living in Norway at the time. SMS have been there for like... ages.

I went back to listen to this again...did he really just say Crackdown 1 was a "great" game?!?! wowww hahaha

PurpleLeafRave:
I think I might get Transformers: War For Cybertron instead of Crakdown 2 now. I'm happy with Crackdown 1, and if nothing's changed, I'm not paying 40 for it.

yeahhhh I had fun with Crackdown 1 (but it definitely got boring really fast when playing alone)
tho War for Cybertron is definitely what I'd choose over Crackdown 2 lol

BlueInkAlchemist:
As a WoW subscriber, I must say that there's nothing to fear about direct sunlight. It just needs to be handled in the same way as direct interactions with people and any sort of interaction with customer service: in small doses while covered in lotion to prevent skin damage.

Lol, touche.

When will this new generation of games stop disappointing me~

I enjoy Crackdown 2, but Yahtzee is so right about it.

Another TARDIS!

it's sad, the graphics and extra features were great but the game structure itself was not as good. Sure the first was a little repetitive sometimes but this one is even worse. I would love to play crackdown 2 hunting down the leaders of different gangs rather than killing a bunch of foot soldiers and standing in one spot.
Seriously the "story missions" are all "stand in one spot after you kill the enemies" and "stand in one area and protect an orb" I mean the idea was to make an action packed game in an open world area, " I cannot imagine a way in which you could have fucked up more"

Am I the only one who thinks that the line about the kookaburras at the end is the most obtuse metaphor they've ever heard Yahtzee use? I was struggling to discern any meaning from it.

Also, can't say that this is a game I'd have had much intention of playing to begin with. It sounds a little 'Hollywood' for my tastes.

wait, did he just say Crackdown 1 was a "great game"?

wait, have I said this exact same comment before...lol oh well

Yeah Crackdown 2 sucked. First of all it wasn't even the same developers, RTW was off working on APB (that's a whole nother story I can get worked up on...thanks for nothing RTW). And yeah it became a collection mission. THe orb finder was nice, but it was boring and old. hell they couldn't even bring back the agency car like it use to be or the semi, screw that. Add this to the list of disappointing sequals, which seems to be the only thing developers are releasing (*cough* Hawx 2, army of two 40th day). And yeah auto = pain in ass.

yeah i gotta admire the fact he made a good point and in most co op games went you go online you mostly only end up being killedby the person your playing with or left behind the games prmoise this whole huge story in the last and never got back to it

I stiLL can't believe he called it a great game
like just to hear him say that hahaa...man

duchaked:

Having recently finished Crackdown 1, a synopsis of my reaction.

First hour or so... it's okay. It's decently fun in all the right places but there doesn't seem to be much of a point.

Once the powers start kicking in... this is fucking awesome. There's no point, but who the fuck cares.

After hitting Level 3 in most of the useful powers... fucking jump puzzles and I'm not going to fucking scour the city for anymore fucking orbs.

After finishing the game... there's is absolutely nothing entertaining to do, unless you count collecting orbs that are now functionally useless.

I had finished Just Cause 1 right before Crackdown and the inescapable conclusion that these were two games that desperately needed to combine their efforts. Just Cause had a really entertaining mission structure, but the core game play was extremely repetitious and uninteresting despite some great stunt-based abilities. While Crackdown had no real mission structure, some cool stronghold missions, and great core game play. Neither could hold my attention longer than about two days.

Netrigan:

duchaked:

Having recently finished Crackdown 1, a synopsis of my reaction.

First hour or so... it's okay. It's decently fun in all the right places but there doesn't seem to be much of a point.

Once the powers start kicking in... this is fucking awesome. There's no point, but who the fuck cares.

After hitting Level 3 in most of the useful powers... fucking jump puzzles and I'm not going to fucking scour the city for anymore fucking orbs.

After finishing the game... there's is absolutely nothing entertaining to do, unless you count collecting orbs that are now functionally useless.

I had finished Just Cause 1 right before Crackdown and the inescapable conclusion that these were two games that desperately needed to combine their efforts. Just Cause had a really entertaining mission structure, but the core game play was extremely repetitious and uninteresting despite some great stunt-based abilities. While Crackdown had no real mission structure, some cool stronghold missions, and great core game play. Neither could hold my attention longer than about two days.

yeah I was thinking about trying out Crackdown 2 sometime
I played the first one until after a while I just got bored and traded it out

Just Cause 2 I might give a go, and I have the first one (meh) but I got bored of it real quick...
I seem to have trouble finishing these big sandbox games :p

"If fiction has told me anything, the righteous tend to be good looking and Generally white."

This!

Finally got around to playing Crackdown 2 because honestly I didn't find it all that appealing once Crackdown 1 ran out of appeal for me.

It's actually...well going quite well really, I'm really liking it. Maybe it's just a matter of time before I get bored, but the combat part of the game is actually MORE varied for me instead of just attacking fighting 3 non-differentiable gangs (in 2 there's the Cell and the Freaks to mix things up, and activating all the devices at least gives me more to do than just attack strongholds when I'm not orb collecting).

But still, it's true all of this will run dry soon. Hopefully I'll get some co-op buddies into the game with me before I totally get bored (something I plan to do, and maybe even go back to do for the first game).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here