Should Facebook Be Worried?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Should Facebook Be Worried?

Be warned Facebook. Google is angry.

Read Full Article

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! The plan is working. Soon every popular internet website will destroy one another (except for the Escapist of course) and Snooty Enterprises Inc reigns supreme over the Info Superhighway.
/nonsensical rambling.

They both have massive amounts of dirt on us. Kinda like AvP.
"Whoever wins, WE LOSE."

Well, Google is interested so something is going to change. Either way I still like Google a hell of a lot more than Facebook.

So, in short, Google is attempting to kill Facebook by beating it at its own game. Fuck yeah! I don't really care who wins, but if it tears the Facebook Community apart, I'm all for it. I reaaaallly don't like that site.

I've never really liked Facebook, but I'm not usually into social networking sites.
But my thought in this is that I'm going to need to replace my T-shirt that says, "No, I don't have a F*cking Facebook!" With one that says- "No, I don't have a F*cking Google-novel!"
Or whatever they call it. I bet it's not much more sophisticated than that.

Google can't beat Facebook with this generation.

If everyone has already established themselves on Facebook and they have all their friends together and all their photos why would they go go through the trouble of reestablishing all that all over again on an entirely new system which many of their friends may not even be a part of.

If google get farmville it will all be over for facebook XD

Vestsao:

If everyone has already established themselves on Facebook and they have all their friends together and all their photos why would they go go through the trouble of reestablishing all that all over again on an entirely new system which many of their friends may not even be a part of.

A couple years before Facebook, people used Myspace. You'd find it funny how quickly people will switch given to whatever the current trend is.

I predict that won't go well for Google. MS has tried time and time again unsuccessfuly to get a foothold on social networks ever since hi5. So Google has two options. Buy facebook or find some other niche. Like MS did with xboxlive.

Gaming did not create Facebook. Facebook gave its massive customer base games to keep them on facebook longer during the day. Google has jys become Microsoft, and will learn the same lessons Microsoft did the same old way: the hard way.

theironbat46:
They both have massive amounts of dirt on us. Kinda like AvP.
"Whoever wins, WE LOSE."

That was awesome and put it all into perspective.

IT seems key to the itnernet at the moment is...social netwworking gaming

Pugiron:
Gaming did not create Facebook. Facebook gave its massive customer base games to keep them on facebook longer during the day. Google has jys become Microsoft, and will learn the same lessons Microsoft did the same old way: the hard way.

This. I'm kinda skeptical that the Zynga gamers are all that dedicated. I always got the feeling they play the games because they check facebook anyway. On the other hand, a lot of people might be slow to give up all the money they've sunk into their farms and whatnot. Hard to say how this one will go, but I'm interested to see how it falls.

Also, articles like this sound like they were paid for by google. It's only good to jump to them if everyone does, and articles that assume everyone will jump will only ensure that everyone thinks everyone else will. (This paragraph ended up harder to read than I had intended :( )

Hyperbole called, it wants its Fire and Brimstone back. (With investment)

Go for it, Google. I love watching a company commit suicide.

If the article is to be believed, Google is setting up to be the next Microsoft. Sherman, set your way-back machine for about 15 years ago. Microsoft is expanding in all directions. Their gross revenue is rising faster than a party balloon underwater. So fast and so much so that not a single non-pre-existing company can start up, and no other company can survive.

Enter: The US Government.

The FBI steps in, serving Microsoft with an ultimatum. The United States has laws that forbiding the creation of monopolies. Mircosoft has two options, relingquish control of several facets of their business model, or shut down completely with heavy fines. Microsoft let go of several significant patents and proprietary holdings, and other companies brought competition back into the market.

Now we have Google, a giant on the internet and growing daily. With each new site that gains sufficient popularity, Google aquires them without a second thought, expanding their business and simulatneously pushing out the competition. And now Google wants to corner the market on social networking. Google is steadily working its way up to total ownership of the internet. Google has partnerships with ebay and amazon, which already dominate the online shopping industry. If this isn't a monopoly in the works, I'm not sure what is.

Google needs to watch their step. All the money in the world can't save them when the US Government decides that they want it.

ShadowKatt:

Google needs to watch their step. All the money in the world can't save them when the US Government decides that they want it.

As it happens the US Government is not all powerful, hush silly forum person.

Vestsao:

I'm sure they could hire Robert Pattinson or Taylor Lautner (or both) for a photo shoot standing around wearing Googlebook shirts.

Google has been running experiments that involve advanced web browser gaming (check out WebGL if you are curious), so yeah, they might set up a compelling game platform.

The assumption that Google automatically dominates everything is ridiculous though. Google has/had social experiments that never grew big (Wave, Orkut) and their tablet offering (ChromeOS) hasn't exactly taking over the world either.

Awesomnity:

ShadowKatt:

I shall not hush, and the US Government certainly is all powerful, within the United States. And Google is based in the US. Think what you like, but the laws are written so convolutedly complex that the Government could shut them down if they so chose, and imprison any of the executives in the process.

It may not necessarily be right, but it is possible. Whether the FBI has to go digging through the execs and companies financial records, or they simply ran their company a little shoddy for a couple of weeks, they can find or create problems out of the smallest things.

I really hope this results in some good social network games being made. The ones around at the moment may be popular, but lets face it they're not exactly awesome games.

Vestsao:

Facebook was like that in comparison to myspace though, when I joined FB you had to be in college and have a school email and myspace was king,3 years later myspace is a hasbeen with FB killing everyone.
OT
I like the more business focused articles here, a good change of pace from our usual humor.

It seems that Google are mistaking the casual gamers for hardcore gamers and think that they can attract people to their social networking site by just providing more/better social games. I don't think this will work, the general public has a pretty short attention span. This is either going to be a massive waste of time and resources or the best thing google came up with in past few years, we shall see.

Two words
Google Buzz.
epic fail, amirite?

Furthermore:

ShadowKatt:

I shall not hush, and the US Government certainly is all powerful, within the United States. And Google is based in the US. Think what you like, but the laws are written so convolutedly complex that the Government could shut them down if they so chose, and imprison any of the executives in the process.

It may not necessarily be right, but it is possible. Whether the FBI has to go digging through the execs and companies financial records, or they simply ran their company a little shoddy for a couple of weeks, they can find or create problems out of the smallest things.

Oh you...

Hmm? What? Sorry, I missed that, I was playing 360 and PS3.

maddawg IAJI:
So, in short, Google is attempting to kill Facebook by beating it at its own game. Fuck yeah! I don't really care who wins, but if it tears the Facebook Community apart, I'm all for it. I reaaaallly don't like that site.

You BASTARD. [ Don't report, it's just a joke. ]

No really, Google really needs a motto like " Don't be evil " to promote how good they are, That worries me. They aren't good if you ask me, especially with the latest scandels. Facebook has them too, but I like to keep being updated with meaningful information on my friends through simple status updates.

Connecting to them regardless borders and cheap too is what I love. ;3

SnootyEnglishman:
Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! The plan is working. Soon every popular internet website will destroy one another (except for the Escapist of course) and Snooty Enterprises Inc reigns supreme over the Info Superhighway.
/nonsensical rambling.

...Shhiiiiittt. Well do you need any sacrificing with your plan?

And well I think this is a bad move, but I don't want to see Google go under as I've always loved them!

Baldry:

SnootyEnglishman:
/nonsensical rambling.

And well I think this is a bad move, but I don't want to see Google go under as I've always loved them!

If i need you I'll have a henchman deliver you a summons notice.

Google plays to win. Thats why they are gonna be my favorite future dictators of the world. :) I would use a Google social site, just because it's Google, and i have everything with them.

Google might as well just release their own line of PC's with Google a operating system and Google tools installed, like Google Word, and Google Chrome with Google-controlled websites bookmarked, and the Google-patented ability to share files exclusively with Google smartphones, the Google mp3 player, and the Google gaming console, which is the only platform to support Google's new game, in which the protagonist works for Google, based on Google: The Movie.

This post sponsored by Google.

Actually, I forgot that Microsoft has done more things from that list than Google has...

SnootyEnglishman:

Baldry:

SnootyEnglishman:
/nonsensical rambling.

If i need you I'll have a henchman deliver you a summons notice.

Well I hope you do! I'm quite upset that you we're planning to take over the world without me!

How threatening can they be, they just nixed Google Wave(a realtime collaborative social network) because of lack of interest, after it suppose to revolutionize the social craze.

facebook will win. It's just as famous as google, and it has too many fans who arent' interested in the social gaming as much as maintaining contact with thier friends.

Baldr:
How threatening can they be, they just nixed Google Wave(a realtime collaborative social network) because of lack of interest(no one used it)

They did? But it was still in closed beta! how could I use it if I didn't have a way to get in? Google Wave sounded pretty cool(especially if I had I any friends to use it with, but that's beside the point) Too bad they didn't advertise it anywhere; noone knew about the whole thing.

I don't think google will make quite the impact that this article implies, destroying the competetion, but I can see them getting fairly sucessful in the market. Hell, I'd use a google site over facebook any day.

ShadowKatt:

Awesomnity:

ShadowKatt:

To bad about all that infomation Google has on them.

On-Topic: Everyone remember that one article[1] that people thought was Facebook? All because it was the first search result returned when you entered "Facebook Login" into Google. (Read about it Here)

Google, have you tried removing Facebook from your search results? I wonder who it would more negatively impact.

[1] Read the comments. "LET ME LOG IN!" Ha ha, priceless.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here