Rebecca Mayes Muses: Crackdown 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Fun and eclectic :) I liked the video a lot, and haven't been interested in Crackdown 2 at all. More reason not to be :)

Meh...not good but not bad either.

It's not always my thing, but I like that you continue doing this. Keep up the videos, because it's always interesting!

I am curious about the game now as well as being pleased to see (and hear) Rebecca again.

Very nice song. Also, very well spoken!

Best video in a while!

Really enjoyed this one. Thought you drew a good parallel between the zombie enemies of the game (I'm guessing, I haven't actually played it) and the mindless consumerism of Western, capitalistic society. Plus, and I may be reading a little too into it, contrasting the "superhero" with the game developer? A stereotypical "positive" image, contrasted with the companies who churn out samey action games? We, the "meatball zombies", support the game companies, and where would a "superhero" be without enemies to fight (those selfsame zombies). Potentially something there about the inherent conflict between consumers and producers (no matter what a company does, there will always be people bitching about the game).

Of course, there is a very real probability that I totally missed the point.

Ms. Mayes, I'm a fan, have been since I joined The Escapist. I dig your groove, I love your tunes, some of them thoughtful, some of them witty. This was by far the quirkiest I think I've heard yet. Loved it so much I thought I'd say so. Cheers!

White room, white outfit nice match.

I have watched every single of her videos but it was before I had created an account, must go back to do it again.

I go to see a lot of women musicians for some reason, don't know why I just enjoy them more and we have the music to talk about also.

Hi Rebecca, there are lots and lots of places you could play if you ever wanted to come out to Australia.

I would say this is my favorite song by her after Madworld. I like how this one mixed it up a bit, it seemed to go a little quicker/upbeat toward the middle, and I liked the lyrics. Well done.

The beautiful body in a leotard helped.... I'm just saying.

Another superb song and good video.

Brightened up my Friday as always. Keep it up Rebecca - please!

This looks like it was fun to make (though the video editing may have been a bit of a bear.) Catchy hook on the song, and I like the idea of consumers as zombies wanting to be super-heroes.

After what I thought was a clunker of the Cybertron song, I think Rebecca Mayes has her groove back with this cool video. :-)

I'm betting a lot of the "meatball freak" references would make a lot more sense if I knew much about the game. Rebecca, your videos are always very artistic, I hope you never lose that visual flair.

I personally hope the next game you pick to review you end up liking because the speed and tone of the songs you write for games you like usually seems to be closer to the sound of music I like (Though I really liked "Chainsaws & Swear Words" but isn't it true there are exceptions to every rule?) Which isn't to say I dislike the songs for games you don't like, I've like all your songs so far at least some, just as a preference I notice the games it would appear you would recommend are also the songs more conducive to the sound I personally enjoy.

It's great to see you back, Rebecca. I'll admit I've been missing your musings too.

Like the others, I have to echo that this song was an absolute corker. A nice scathing attack on the gaming industry for being dull, samey and unimaginative will always net you some approval from me. :)

I can't wait to hear your next song.

Melody: Meh
Lyrics: Pretty good. Loved the part about how people would by anything with the number 2 stuck on the end.

Very good all round, I like the compositing on vid. Good mix and composition on track-k

Its nice that now you can use a game as a starting point to criticise the system in general. Nice work. You can probably do that with other feeling and emotions when you run into them.....that would be nice. Like a theme song the game never had....

We can call them nasty capitalist names
But we're just the same

Speak for yourself :P

(Really good song, though.)

Nice I like the content of the song and the sound.

It's getting really lame.

Just because someone tells you a few things that happen in game doesn't mean you can write a meaningful song/improve/jam session and impress any real people.

Seriously, stop now please. You are embarrassing yourself.

Sober Thal:

Just because someone tells you a few things that happen in game doesn't mean you can write a meaningful song/improve/jam session and impress any real people.

I bet you like I hit it with my axe.

murphy7801:

Sober Thal:

Funny story about that.....

I got banned from saying how I liked I Hit With Axe!

You can't call someone who makes videos on this sight the same words they call themselves in the videos.

That's why I am holding back my opinions on the make a home video girl.

Sober Thal:

murphy7801:

Sober Thal:

You can't call someone who makes videos on this sight the same words they call themselves in the videos.

I got suspend for saying I hit with my axe is like a violated rotten corpse that is just degrading to watch and thats only because the person who posted it say it because the video had oh say 12 post because no one watchs it.

murphy7801:

Sober Thal:

murphy7801:

Sober Thal:

I got suspend for saying I hit with my axe is like a violated rotten corpse that is just degrading to watch and thats only because the person who posted it say it because the video had oh say 12 post because no one watchs it.

Just don't say nobody watches it, and you should be okay.

Sober Thal:

murphy7801:

Sober Thal:

murphy7801:

Sober Thal:

Ha yer wonder why they remove comments like that !

Brilliant review. Plus a general sort of political statement. Most games with a two on the end suffer from this syndrome, I think.

This was a rather good commentary on the superhero genre as it applies to games.

If you look at this game (and others like it), the hero is a hero because the government says so... And the freaks are menaces to society for the same reason?

Remind me again... Why did it warrant a sequel?

Sober Thal:

murphy7801:

Sober Thal:

murphy7801:

Sober Thal:

That's why I stopped watching that show... I got tired of being suspended for stating my rather negative opinion.

Wow Ms. Mayes, I swear I was JUST talking about the very theme of your song not five minutes ago. Weird.

I'm a little confused by the criticism of the developers as being a large, unimaginative company only interested in churning out the same game that people will buy. Crackdown 2 might have been distributed by Microsoft Game Studios, but it was actually created by Ruffian Games, an offshoot of the relatively small Dundee-based company that made the first Crackdown.

Realtime Worlds, who made the first Crackdown, recently released APB, a rather innovative and interesting attempt at creating a new kind of MMOG. Whether it was a massive success or not is unimportant, the fact is that they moved on to trying new things.

One would hope then that Ruffian games will now do the same. I don't think it's fair to criticise them for playing it safe with their first ever release. Taking the relatively large risk of pushing boundaries with their first title would be foolish, it makes sense to establish yourself in the business first. I think Miss Mayes is therefor being rather harsh.

Yeah.... Crackdown got old for me too. Never played the first one, though! :P

Initially, I wasn't too keen on where the video was going to go as it's pretty much the consensus that the developers have done bugger all new stuff with the Crackdown2...
But I gave you a chance to have your say and you did not disappoint!

Very interesting as always! Keep 'em coming, Ms. Mayes!

Oh thank goodness you're back. I was starting to get worried!

Great song, as per usual.

She makes a good point in the first few second. To many companys are just remaking the same game and adding 2 at the end. L4D2, CrackDown 2, and do not get me started how many times nintendo has remade the same zelda/mario for different concles. Back in the golden age of gaming. There was something called quantity over quality. Now companys are just making mass quality of garbage. I find my self buying from small unheard of companys cause they do not have the money to mass produce garbage. On top of it. Their games are usally alot cheaper. Anywhere from 20 - 40 dollars cheaper. Which is nice cause they are alot better then most games big company come out with. I find my self renting/torenting big name games cause they are crap. That right I said torent. Sames me so much money on games I have not even finish cause they where just that bad. Maybe if the mass brainless population would stop buying the 90% - 95% of bad games. Game quantity would go up way way way up. Then again that about as realistic as people learning how to walk on water and rez the dead. I blame the mass ammount of imbreading and lack of good parents.

Sexy! Do more in spandex :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or