Escape to the Movies: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Awesome review as usual Bob! Eloquent and to the point. Actually interested in seeing at now cos Bob hasn't steered me wrong before.

Also always wanted to say that the theme music for Escape to the movies awesome! Paul Gilbert FTW!

The trailer looks god awful

Cosplay Horatio:

Demon ID:
I really do want to see this movie, It just looks remarkably different to quite alot thats come out this year, that might be down to the videogame vibe (or by the looks of it, vital organ) running through it.

Why does this have to come out on the 25th in the UK?

Actually as a question, could someone please answer as to why the UK gets movies quite later (here's looking at you toy story 3)? at one point, someone mentioned piracy but I don't know if that's true.

It actually hasn't been pirated. The only thing Scot Pilgrim that got pirated were the comic books and I still bought them before I downloaded all six volumes.

I am seeing it tomorrow with my wife. She mostly wants to see it because she's a fan of Michael Cera. I have all the video's and clips as well so I'll share one just to get people more interested and it's one of my two answers for the acid test.

I didn't mean scott pilgrim being pirated, I meant the reason why movies arrive in the UK quite abit later. I had heard it's because more people in the UK make the Pirated copies and put them online, hense the later date. Thats what someone told me, but I can't help but feel that isn't true.

Apparently people aren't getting the "Canada playing Canada, not the US" comment.

Canada, in particular Toronto and Vancouver, is the filming location for many films that apparently take place in the US. This has dwindled in the last 10 years though due to the dollar balancing out.

dex-dex:
YES I AGREE!
it is nice that Canada is being Canada and not the US like in Juno
also I SAW THEM SHOTTING PARTS OF IT!
so obviously you had not problem that Michael Cera was playing Scott because many people were saying that was a wrong move.

I can see how people would think that. However, this movie made me realize that Cera really isn't as bad an actor as people say he is. He's no Alec Baldwin, but he does give a very believable performance, at least in Scott Pilgrim. There were only a few lines where I thought that he really missed the mark, and that's acceptable to me.

Am I the only one who really wants to see scott pilgrim get a game over? /tasteless joke
In all seriousness, while I wanna smack the main guy across the face just because he seems to be "THE CHOSEN ONE!!!!1111oneeleven", I am intrigued by the geek appeal....

Hi MovieBob, Bryan's inking assistant here.

I was actually eagerly await your review of this movie and I'm glad to see the reception has been generally positive, especially yours.

I completely agree with you that towards the end the movie did get a bit lackluster, however, every single character in the movie was more or less lovable (albeit with Ramona its a lot harder to sympathize with her in the movie than in the book).

I think Jason Schwartzman stole the show towards the end. He had this pathetically cocky aura similar to Zapp Branigan that I absolutely loved and I found him a far more engaging character than the Gideon in the graphic novel.

I had a feeling... I wasn't sure if it was going to be all jokes or serious underneath, thanks for reviewing it.

I liked this review.
Actually I really like Moviebob's way of reviewing; sincere, raw, yet highly polished, and he makes his points clear.
Now, about the review, ever since I knew 'Hot Fuzz' director Edgar Wright was behind this, and after I saw the trailer, I knew this would be a quality product.
I guess I'm glad Chipman agrees, and I'll be looking forward to see this.

It looks like the greatest film in existence, but it's a shame that it's all so squished down - or at least that's what i keep hearing.

I hate to see a great story get chunks cut out for the sake of being movie length, I might just have to read the books afterwards ^_^

Definitely gonna see it when my girl gets back from summer vacation :) Geek Couple + Geek Movie = Great Date!

Yay! Finally! Canada get's to be itself for once! I'm sick of seeing parts of B.C(and it's always B.C) in American movies, especially when they say its Aspen or some crap. I'm sure I've been in the background doing my shopping or something.
now I am definately going to see this movie. I was going for the Expendables, but now that I know this movie is related not only to my culture, but to my country, it is a must see.

dex-dex:
YES I AGREE!
so obviously you had not problem that Michael Cera was playing Scott because many people were saying that was a wrong move.

Juno took place in Minnesota

WAIT! Toronto doesn't actually work on video game rules? ...ouch, my dreams.

I haven't seen this movie yet, I'm trying to go through all the comics first. I'm on Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness right now, so only three more to go before I can go see the movie!

Movie Bob: "Does this image mean anything to you?"

No, and I'm a pretty big nerd. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Right!

Moviebob, it finally looks like you got what you've always wished for in a video game movie.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1740-Prince-of-Persia

My job as a random argument man is done for now. TO THE RANDOM ARGUMENT MOBILE!

Before anyone flames me just FYI I know zilch about SP. A trailer for the game was the first I'd ever heard of it, and what little I have comes from reviews/previews of the various material. So keep in mind I'm coming into this whole thing blind.

Now that that's out of the way, judging from what I saw this movie is not for me. There is just something about the videogame effects and the characters that just looks offputting to me. Maybe it's better in comic form but idk.

Anyway I'll need to hear more from some other reviewers because I don't usually agree with Bob's opinions, and lets just leave it at that.

Having just watched this movie at 12:05 earlier this morning, I'm glad that you enjoyed it as much as I did Moviebob.

First of October in Norway. How fun.

Any moderators reading this, it's not a personal attack or anything. I'm just saying the Bob is predictable.

Bob, you never fail to disappoint me on what movies I know you'll like for reasons other than the actual movie. What I heard in your review was "This movie is ok, nothing great. Although I did get a huge boner over all the geek references so you should go see it!" I love it when you criticize movie's that use something other than plot to drive it, but if it's geek-centric it's ok. :-) Have a nice day.

I didn't understand that last picture in the video.
I'm not "with it" anymore :(

Aiddon:
plus Michael Cera is a great actor

Hahaha - no. Michael Cera plays one character over and over again. Ask him to step out of his comfort zone and play a different character and I'm sure he'd fail miserably. Much like Steve Carrel.

StaleCrouton:

dex-dex:
YES I AGREE!

He is referencing the fact that it was filmed in Canada.

Maybe i'll download it, but from the looks, it's just another Micheal cera movie with what you think to be is a geek theme, is really a hot topic scene kid theme.

Come to think of it they never say "7 evil ex-boyfriends" they only ever say 7 evil (exes, ex's, exs, exs') I dunno how that should be pluralized.

This really sounds like the kind of movie I'd wanna see. Actually, this sounds like the kind of movie I'd wanna MAKE.

I don't know if it's coming out in Sweden though. Haven't seen any posters around, maybe it's just passed me by...

Ya know... It IS nice to see Canada playing Canada.

Mind you... The TTC busses still had their logos covered.

StaleCrouton:

dex-dex:
YES I AGREE!

Yes but it was filmed in Canada.

I always take your advice Movie Bob and you've never failed me :D
Going to go to Scott Pilgrim Versus the world when I'm in England because it won't be shown here in Iceland probably for a long time.

I haven't seen the movie but this looks like the mold a good mario movie should follow.

MovieBob:
Snip

Moviebob, I actually heard the movie ty-in game for this film is actual pretty good. Instead of being half cocked 3D monster that had a tiny budget to compete with its tinier developement time (like Iron man), they actually made a 2D old fashion arcade beat-em up for download on Xbox Live that has as many (if not more) references to video games then the movie itself.

Michael Cera is Michael Cera in Michael Cera, starring Michael Cera as Michael Cera, with Michael Cera. Written and Produced by Michael Cera.

Necrofudge:
I didn't understand that last picture in the video.
I'm not "with it" anymore :(

Ditto. I think that it's the original Mega Man cover, but I'm not sure.

Do you mean to tell me that this movie has depth? Label me surprised.

Demon ID:
I didn't mean scott pilgrim being pirated, I meant the reason why movies arrive in the UK quite abit later. I had heard it's because more people in the UK make the Pirated copies and put them online, hense the later date. Thats what someone told me, but I can't help but feel that isn't true.

That does seem like quite a bit of rubbish because it gets pirated from nearly every country it goes to and when any movies nowadays get released early for premieres in the US they have security wear night vision goggles and I'm sure the UK does the same but some countries don't have that kind of security during premiers for some movies and that's how it get's pirated early. I'm sure sometime during midnight or anytime today someone is filming it and are going to turn them into torrents to be downloaded either later today or tomorrow cuz I've recently checked and only the soundtrack just got added.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here