Escape to the Movies: The Expendables

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 34 NEXT

FargoDog:

Blue-State:

FargoDog:
And yet I'm still going to see it.

Traitor! >(

Why? Because I'd rather make up my own mind than just listen to some movie-critic who I could completely disagree with, which I probably will in this case?

Are you gunna see Scott Pilgrim as well?

Hubilub:
I could barely finish watching this review. Took a lot of strength.

I can't believe Bob this week. We are obedient sheep because we go see one of the biggest collaboration films this decade instead of watching a film that was barely advertised in many places? We are the worst kind of people on earth because we like the premise that a movie will be an homage to 80s action films?

He dropped the ball on this review. Insulting a film is one thing, insulting someone for liking it is another, but insulting people for thinking the premise sounds like a fun idea?. That's a new low. I won't even go into how much I disagree with you on the quality of the film.

For someone who tries to hinder people from being elitist nerds, you are one of the biggest elitist nerds I've seen in quite a while.

Also this,

Also Movie Bob keeps holding up Equilibrium when talking about better action movies, that movie was utter twaddle pure over stylised matrix clone waffle. Even metacritic has it lower than the Expendables

I don't think Bob likes this one, but it's hard to tell for sure from his restrained critique...

wow I was actually thinking about seeing this, but now I'm definitely going to see Scott Pilgrim.

I saw it and i loved it. It is not a piece of shit. Moviebob, you are wrong!

Meh, i got half way thru and decide dnot to watch the full thing. Its like listening to someone complain that theres nothing on TV..

Heh...as much as I chuckled the moment I heard where this was gonna go...eh.

Seriously, I loved the 3rd Twilight movie review a lot more than this or Transformers Revenge. I mean...it's one thing to let your rage fly at select moments and another to just indulge in it wholly.

...alright fine, it is entertaining in a trainwreck sorta way...but really, it isn't anything memorable or valuable to me.

Blue-State:

FargoDog:

Blue-State:

FargoDog:

Traitor! >(

Why? Because I'd rather make up my own mind than just listen to some movie-critic who I could completely disagree with, which I probably will in this case?

Are you gunna see Scott Pilgrim as well?

Yup, but not for any other reason than it looks like a film I will enjoy. I'm not doing it for 'allegiance' to movie-bob.

Well that was harsh :D

Not something I'm going to remember later but I still found the action enjoyable. Maybe if you let yourself enjoy it you could of had a better time.

FargoDog:

Blue-State:

FargoDog:

Traitor! >(

Cool story, bro.

OT: Someone might have gone overboard with the fucks and the shits.

That bad huh, thats a shame. It did look entertaining but you made it sound completly horrible.

Its also a shame that Scott Pilgrim didn't do as well, but compared to a fruit salad made of 80's muscle men and the latest book turn movie that women are going crazy about I kind of suspected this.

I wouldn't call people stupid about this. They are simply just not familiar and/or not interested with it.

Well, I hardly think anybody's going to see it for depth, just big gory, violent fun. Which made me surprised when he said that there was little of that.

Thanks for the heads up.

Not G. Ivingname:

run_forrest_run:

Blue-State:
Data East Arcade Collection.AWESOME
It's funny he's Talking about Gore in Rambo when spoiler Rambo doesn't actually kill anyone in that film.

He's talking about the recent entry in 2008. He blows people to chunks in that one.

More like, Rambo used bullets to magically fuse all the human bits with the forest around them.

And it was AWESOME :D

Unlike THIS *eye twitch* movie.

I guaranteed that this would be a poor film. He's an opinionated cunt, no doubt, but I'd assume he's correct. My friend actually wants to go see it with me.

ive seen both scot pilgrim and expendables and honestly i liked scott pilgrim WAY WWAY WAY MORE
than expendables. i mean expendables was meh, worth it but nothing memorable or special really.

WHAT really bothered me about expendables was that it advertised all the big action stars, but really the movie FOCUSSED on stallone and statham, and everyone else kinda sorta does their thing at the end... doesnt really make me care about the other "expendables"

I couldn't even watch the whole review through. Okay, we get it, you hated it.

Congratulations Movie Bob you are now a card carrying member of the movie critics club.
From now on your opinion means

Excrement!

Now go take your place next to Roger Ebert and be ignored.

Nincompoop:
Well. I have lost almost every respect I had for you Bob. The action in this movie was absolutely great. I have numerous times agreed with you (never really on any action, as you rarely discuss it), but this was so f**king opposite of what I thought that it's absolutely f**king ridiculous. There were plenty of memorable kills in the movie.

How about how Stallone used a pistol as a f**king machine gun? (he seriously shot fast and reloaded fast. Absolutely a cool feature).

Most of the action was well executed as well. I would really like to sit down with you and watch it and point out some awesome scenes.

F**k this. I feel so disappointed. Sh*t...

I will not stop watching your reviews as they are always worth watching, but God f**king damn I have never disagreed so much with you before, and I get the sense that you have absolutely no feel whatsoever for action.

basically this. usually i agree with whats under rated or over rated with bob but i went to this movie and really enjoyed it, i dont know what he was expecting walking in but the action in the movie was awesome, i'd love for him to tell how that movie could have been better with those actors in it.

seriously it sounded like you were more piss mad that scott pilgrim didn't do good and your raging on expendables because of that.

if you like any kind of big explosions or gun games, this is a definite must see, the action it is is great, each of the actors have a sweet action scene at least once (most of them have at least 4-5 but a few only have a couple)

So, question. How do you tell the difference between a homage of action movies, a parody of them and an actual piece of the genre? Totally serious here, I am legitimately confused.

I watched The Expendables and fucking loved it! It was funny in places OTT and cheesey as all hell.

Which made it great!

Hubilub:

He dropped the ball on this review. Insulting a film is one thing, insulting someone for liking it is another, but insulting people for thinking the premise sounds like a fun idea?. That's a new low. I won't even go into how much I disagree with you on the quality of the film.

I beleive he saying that this movie has no appeal as an action movie other than it only relies on its machismo pandering and actor-fame to pull it through. I don't think he has a quirk against masculinity as a cinematic concept.

"Just Sayin" (TM)

run_forrest_run:

I guaranteed that this would be a poor film. He's an opinionated cunt, no doubt, but I'd assume he's correct. My friend actually wants to go see it with me.

OH DEAR GOD HOW DARE HE.

Seriously, don't listen to everything Bob says. Whilst he's right on a lot of things, you need to make your own opinions. Otherwise you are the 'sheep' he referred to at the beginning.

For example - Daybreakers? Not that good. But, Sherlock Holmes is fantastic. You see? You need to take your own views on things, give it a try. What's the worse that'll happen?

Best nerdrage I've ever seen, and completely justified IMO. Running movies on the fame of the cast is a money-grubbing suicide mission that works horrifically well, and it doesn't sound like this turned out any different. It's honestly depressing that a genuinely good story like Scott Pilgrim will end up fiscally forgotten because the majority of the audience can't tell the difference between geek culture and geek motif.

I'll probably end up seeing it anyway so I can compare it to A-Team, but at least I know what to look out for.

Seriously, some of you all are taking his insults a little personally.

I think he is insulting the movie based on the fact that it panders to hyper-masculinity and uses its actor-fame to pull it through. Those sound like reasonable complaints to me. I've heard Bob speak highly of movies that present masculinity. It seems The Expendables do not meet his standards of intelligent masculinity. The fact that it overshadowed Scott Pilgrim was injury added to insult.

I considered seeing this movie because of Stalone, Li and Statham. The others are just extra players in an 'all-star' cast movie. 9 out of 10 times All-star cast movies SUCK because they DO rely on actor-fame to pull it though. Seeing how I don't have enough money to see both, now I don't have to worry about regreting to see Scott Pilgrim.

Nincompoop:
Well. I have lost almost every respect I had for you Bob. The action in this movie was absolutely great. I have numerous times agreed with you (never really on any action, as you rarely discuss it), but this was so f**king opposite of what I thought that it's absolutely f**king ridiculous. There were plenty of memorable kills in the movie.

How about how Stallone used a pistol as a f**king machine gun? (he seriously shot fast and reloaded fast. Absolutely a cool feature).

Most of the action was well executed as well. I would really like to sit down with you and watch it and point out some awesome scenes.

F**k this. I feel so disappointed. Sh*t...

I will not stop watching your reviews as they are always worth watching, but God f**king damn I have never disagreed so much with you before, and I get the sense that you have absolutely no feel whatsoever for action.

are we forgetting Gunners "warning shot"? ;)

Why do they bleep Bob but not Yahtzee?

I did hear that Jet Li didn't get to do his usual ass kickery in this movie and that depresses me.

eeeegh Movie Bob.

This was more of a rant than a review.

I get that it was never going to be a great movie. It was almost certainly going to be successful if not just for all the big name actors in it, and people love their big name actors.

I would have much rather heard about where the movie was strong, and where the movie was weak and then just make up my mind if it would be worth seeing or not. I love to sit down and watch a cheesy action movie sometimes because it's fun.

Also, complaining about no gore? really? Maybe I'm just used to that now.

Oh well, my friend said that the movie wasn't awesome. I'll grab it on BD when it comes out, but I can't really see myself enjoying it in the cinema.

See? Scott Pilgrim is for Hipsters!

So... Wait... Bruce Willis seriously only had a cameo and hardly any part in the movie at all?

He was the reason that I wanted to see this movie... Suppose its a rent then...

Dude, even Jean Claude Van Damme agree with Bob this time.

Decent video, but I wonder if Bob has any idea just how clichéd the start of this one was? I mean, Bob basically nailed everything that the typical snob-critic says in a review. "People are sheep, this movie was shite yet people go and see it because people only want shite - now here's a brilliant movie that no one appreciated".

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but my usual interest for Bob's videos took a massive draining blow the moment he started going on about people being sheep because they like action movies with big stars in them.

Hubilub:

I can't believe Bob this week. We are obedient sheep because we go see one of the biggest collaboration films this decade instead of watching a film that was barely advertised in many places? We are the worst kind of people on earth because we like the premise that a movie will be an homage to 80s action films?

For someone who tries to hinder people from being elitist nerds, you are one of the biggest elitist nerds I've seen in quite a while.

forgot to quote this.

this is just about how i felt watching it, i sank back in my chair a bit double checking that i actually enjoyed the movie.

this review was not enjoyable at all in any way, if you were reviewing your own review i might have been inclined to agree, but you destroyed a movie and people who liked the movie for just about...no reason at all.

Hubilub:

And yet so many people on this site take shit from Yatzee and allow him to call them whatever he pleases and no one takes a second glance.
Odd isn't it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 34 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or