Escape to the Movies: The Expendables

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 34 NEXT

Blue-State:

FargoDog:
And yet I'm still going to see it.

Traitor! >(

Eh, I dunno. I'm still going to see it too. Why? Because once in a while, a bit of mindless entertainment isn't bad. I can definitely understand why MovieBob is so upset, and I've seen plenty of other reviews echoing his sentiment... but I'm about to start college, and I figure a mindless action explosion-fest will drain my brain and make me less likely to be nervous and distracted on the first day.

EDIT: Oh, and I can't see Scott Pilgrim, as it isn't showing in our crappy little theater. :\

Ok first off, I liked this movie, so I think movie bob is just off crying in a corner because his beloved 80's video games movie was beaten by a 80's movie movie.

But I do agree about the gore, some propper gore would have pushed this above Rambo for me.

Sometimes I get the feeling that moviebob is too smart for his own good, or that somehow he is being forced to review movies he doesn't want too, which makes him grumpy, so he gives movies that he has a slight bad feeling about a thrashing to make himself feel better. I can see why he lept on the chance to suck on Scott Pilgrim, thus getting him the nintendo kid crowd, because he couldn't stop the Expendables crowd, as he mentioned, its already number 1 in the box office, beating two movies that most critical/artistic/pretencious people call "Good".
So by bashing the expendables and hyping back to how much he loves Scott Pilgrim, he is trying to get more love from the nintendo crowd. Forgetting that not everyone was a nintendo kid or likes Michael Cera (or the rest of that indie douchebag mess). I'm just old enough to have played "the classics" but I didn't because I went outside or was busy reading rather than sitting with an old school nintendo consol and I'm sure that I can't be the only one. Its just that on here this is his primary (and therefore target) audience.

This is just MovieBob throwing a hissy-fit because of Scott Pilgrim, notice that the first couple of comments on this thead are "WOW we love your nerd rage!" And thats all Moviebob has done here, just ranted, because thats all he needed to do, this isn't a review, he just rants about how he doesn't like it. I didn't catch any of your notes on the movie's direction style, nothing about Rourke's good performance as the older father figure type (other than mentioning that he is the manager). And you know I would have let you pan the shit out of both of those two subjects, as long as it had given your review some substance.
You could have pointed out how Rourke is a parody of what this type of Macho attitude does to real people. Rourke is hurt, badly, boozing and bedhopping with women half his age to fill a hole is his heart that he is too macho to let show for fear of exposing a weakness. Rourke's only release of any true emotion is his oldest and truest friend, someone who has seen the same blood and same mud as him. Stallone and Rourke work well together to show two sides of the same coin and MovieBob could have even acknowledged this. But no...
Nerd rage has clouded his vision.
As I said at least twice now, this isn't Moviebob reviewing, this is MovieBob ranting and throwing his dummy out the pram. Ignore him like you would any other baby in the shopping centre and go form your own opinion, you might agree with him in the end, but realise that a reviewer's opinion is NOT your opinion.

I think that sometimes Bob forgets that not everyone goes too the movies to find an experience that moves them, that makes them think about the depths of the human soul and what "It" means. Sometimes people go too the movies just to be entertained and movies like this are made to do one thing, entertain.

As for the firefights being boring:

I gotta be honest i really enjoyed this movie, purely because i wanted a brainless action flick where the name of the game was OTT fun and that is precisely what i got. And no gore? One of the opening scenes has a guy been pretty much liquidised by god-knows-what-sized bullet.

And the cameo scene was hilarious too.

Dragon-Byte:
First time in a long time i've disagreed w/ you Bob.
At the very least "not a single memorable kill" is a bunch of bullcrap.
Remember(or not) during the palace basement ambush, Li and Statham beat the crap out of the bad guy whos like 3rd in command or something, and they knock him to his knees, then Li does an axe-kick and breaks his neck backwards? Remember that? Do ya? Do ya?

I know the whole theatre did when I saw it. [insert applause here]

I remember both that and the unified 'Oooooooh' from the whole cinema :p

JourneyThroughHell:

Hubilub:
snip

Hub, Hub, Hub, Hub, chill out.
I'm pretty disappointed and actually a tad offended, too, and I also don't get what the guy is talking about, but we should keep this civil.

I'm just so fucking annoyed at the fact that MovieBob, the guy that is openly opposed to nerd elitism, is the biggest elitist ever.

He insults every single person that doesn't agree with him because a movie that isn't appealing to anyone but nerds didn't make it big at the box office. He goes into a fit of rage because people don't blindly agree with his opinions. And yes, I might be overreacting, but by now I don't give a damn.

I thought it was a great idea, with all the action stars in it. I saw Scott Pilgrim last weekend, though, and I adored it. I tend to agree with Bob, so I'll probably wait till this comes out on video if I see it at all.

Not surprised he didn't like this movie and is upset about Scott Pilgrim's shortcomings in the box office.

Bob is known to be a Nintendo fanboy(just check out http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/ ), and while Scott Pilgrim has no direct ties to the Mario franchise, there are some striking similarities in some of the movie's Real-life/Gaming world crossovers. Scott Pilgrim is simply a movie that's tailored for him.

I'm not disagreeing with the statement that Scott Pilgrim is good nor that The Expendables is bad, but I do want to make it clear that this review was nearly USELESS. After roughly 5 minutes of the same idea("This movie sucks!") interspersed with nerd-rage swearing, and I feel bad for not just looking at Rottentomatoes.com or something.

I know, I know. You explained every reason you thought it was bad, but for some people(the ones who aren't critics but also aren't the knuckle-dragging buffoons you claim them to be) this movie will be enough, or perhaps even the reason they like it more.

TL;DR

Moviebob, only rage when it's more than a string of cussing and there's a joke to be found.

Edit: And Mario has sucked since it hit the Nintendo 64, get over it.

I tried to watch this, knowing full well it was going to be brainless explosions and boomage. I couldn't. The acting and cinematography made me cry. Hated it. With about as much passion as Movie Bob. However, just because some folks chose to see the movie that should have been excellent, over the movie that could very well have been dog turd does not make them "ill-informed sheep", it makes them regular human folks. And if that disappoints you, you may as well end it all now, because it'll never change.

phew! 3rd time in disagreement with moviebob!... I liked the jj abrahms star trek much better than any other trek film aside from wrath of kahn, I thought scott pigrim was utter shit like the graphic novel without the lame attempts at charm, and admittedly while i thought this film certainly lacked something I approached the movie expecting dumb action fun and got it. ah well still moviebob had a couple of valid points but still i disagree.

You sounded angry. I like it.

It's a tragedy they managed to make such a cast work in an action flick that failed to live up to what it promised.

That is, if MovieBob is right, which is most certainly not cast in stone.

We all have our opinions, we just need to make sure we are proffessional when making them known.

Admittedly Movie Bob may have been over zelous in his defence of Scott Pilgrim being a worthier film in this review but it does not make his opinion any less valid. I think the main arguement in this reveiw was more about what makes a film sell as opposed to a detailed review, the Expendables just happenmd to be on the boat passing by; and how frustrating this is for films like SP which try to be experimental and end up being overshadowed by perhaps more Generic films such as this.
Admittedly though I did intend to see Scott Pilgrim prior to this review and had no intention of watching the Expendables at all, it did not look interesting enough to cash out on a cinema trip (more of a DVD choice perhaps), so perhaps I'm biased in my view or lack the complete objectivity that now seems to be expected from critics.

Also for the sake of playing Devils advocate why is it that people are happy to see their opinions reinforced and will gladly impose it on everyone else. Yet, as soon as their opinion comes to blows they begin to rant at the critic demanding that they change there own opinion to one matching there own?

I was kinda hoping it's cast would up the trashyness level to awesome. I mean did you go into this movie expecting a plot?

I'm disturbed to hear about it's lack of good violence though. There really is no redemption for it if that's true.

Although I really would quite like to see Statham vs Li for real. I imagine that would be pretty epic... For 5 minutes.

Whatever, I'm still going to go see it. Jason Statham can do no wrong.

Yeah I'm totally going to see Scott Pilgrim instea... oh wait no, *resisting use of all caps* it's not going up in theaters in Sweden until October!

Seriously! F***! I'll just join in on the nerd rage >,<

That's all I can say. Stallon just got pwned.

Pipotchi:

Hubilub:
I could barely finish watching this review. Took a lot of strength.

I can't believe Bob this week. We are obedient sheep because we go see one of the biggest collaboration films this decade instead of watching a film that was barely advertised in many places? We are the worst kind of people on earth because we like the premise that a movie will be an homage to 80s action films?

He dropped the ball on this review. Insulting a film is one thing, insulting someone for liking it is another, but insulting people for thinking the premise sounds like a fun idea?. That's a new low. I won't even go into how much I disagree with you on the quality of the film.

For someone who tries to hinder people from being elitist nerds, you are one of the biggest elitist nerds I've seen in quite a while.

Also this,

Also Movie Bob keeps holding up Equilibrium when talking about better action movies, that movie was utter twaddle pure over stylised matrix clone waffle. Even metacritic has it lower than the Expendables

Here is a better review.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/fbv/bmbe/8526-equilibrium

I've found that I agree with bob when it comes to films, so there is no chance of me going to watch this.

This review seems to be more about Bob's hurt feelings over "Pilgrim" going in the tank than the actual film being reviewed. It would have been a better review without all the nonsense about Pilgrim going nowhere at the box office.

I understand the gripes, but I haven't disagreed with him more since Avatar. I've really begun to think that Bob doesn't actually like big, unapologetically dopey fun action movies at all.

Could also be that he likely saw this without friends, which is a bad idea. Half the entertainment my friends and I got was derived from in-jokes (everyone in the theater where i saw it made Arnold noises when his cameo came around), so I do think I would have enjoyed this movie far less had I been alone.

Oh, and I will gripe about the godawful fake looking CGI blood. That was pretty heinous.

After watching this I just got a strong urge to go see whether it's so bad. And guess what. I just got a free ticket to any movie I want to see from participating in a university'a psychological test.

Well I watched the movie LONG before this review came up and you know what I liked it. "But why, its just a stupid, non deep plot action movie." And quite frankly, that is what I saw and liked. Just from watching the movie I didn't see it trying to give some "Politics are bad, huge men get the women." Kind of vibe. Heck even the character that Mickey Rourke played as stated how he messed up his chance and failed at getting the woman in his past.

There was no deep plot. To me, I saw it as a couple of guys doing the same business they have experience in doing so many times, but we just got to see one of their MANY adventures. Also LOVED the banter between them. I saw it as friends doing all this together instead of putting a bunch of people together who have no connection or liking of one another (Mass Effect 2 was like this, the forums there explain alot of how I saw the group as well).

So in the end I liked it because it was more about the group's adventure and communiction than the overall deep plotted conspiracy theories.

Bob I can't say as I'm shocked. Hollywood has a very thick layer of cheese developing

dathwampeer:
I was kinda hoping it's cast would up the trashyness level to awesome. I mean did you go into this movie expecting a plot?

I'm disturbed to hear about it's lack of good violence though. There really is no redemption for it if that's true.

Although I really would quite like to see Statham vs Li for real. I imagine that would be pretty epic... For 5 minutes.

It's not, he's just plain lying honestly. In the first 5 minutes or so a guys top half is severed from his body and torpedoed to the other side of the room, in quite a few fight scenes characters unashamedly crack limbs into weird, painful looking positions(including a scene where Jet Li breaks a mans neck with an axe kick)..

That's just the surface of it really, I don't really want to ruin more than that.

Just Craig:

JourneyThroughHell:

Just Craig:
It's a condescending film that sells itself solely by going "Hey look, we've got 'em all! All the stars of the classic action films! That's all you dumb bastards care about anyway! Now buy a ticket!"

How is it condescending if people are genuinely enjoying it and buying tickets? I hate to bring up one of my least favorite movies but if the Expendables is condescending, so is Avatar, the movie that was all about the "pretty pictures".

You'd be surprised at how much condescention flies right over people's heads in real life conversation, nevermind marketing.
And I would agree that Avatar was about pretty pictures. C'mon, look at just the design of the alien race as opposed to, say, District 9. The blue kitten people were specifically designed to be appealing and promote symapthy for them.
Oh yeah, and what about the whole 3-D thing...?

But, the matter is, I didn't hate Avatar because it was about pretty pictures. I like pretty pictures. I like the Expendables.
But Avatar was the more condescending of the two because it had obvious-as-hell crystal clear messages that it hammered into the skulls of the audiences.
I don't remember Bob complaining about that. Maybe it's because Avatar didn't come out in the same time frame as District 9, a movie that would've suffered sales if it were next to Avatar.

Rigs83:

Here is a better review.

Another Bad Movie Beatdown fan? That's something new. Haven't seen anyone else beside me who watches it.

Zing:

RatGouf:

Off-Topic & final thought for now.
If any movie should be considered "This Years District 9" so far that would have to go to Daybreakers.

What? Daybreakers came out in the same year as District 9. And it was an awful movie.

Daybreakers came out on January 8th, 2010 & wasn't as mindless as Splice.

You got beat up a lot in high school didn't you?

That The Expendables made more in its first weekend than Scott Pilgrim probably will in its entire run does serve to make one lose a fair amount of faith in humanity.

He's not insulting the people who like the movie. He's ripping on it because the director (Stallone) knew that and made it that way to cash in on people's love for that kind of stuff. It's like the action genre version of "Funny People" or "Grown Ups" in that anyone involved sort of admits their careers are over.

Still would rather watch this than another generic, shy, monotone performance by Michael Cera. At some point he's gonna wake up and realize he's in his 20s and can't play socially awkward teenage roles.

I'll rent it then.

*snore*

Scott Pilgrim is about as important as a song by 3OH!3. It's a bunch of trendy incompetent bullshit.

Yeah, I said it.

Hubilub:

What the fuck are you talking about?

You do realize that the majority of the people that like 80s action films are nerds?

Of course not. You are in that mindset that nerds only like sci-fi and obscurity, and anything that doesn't feature video game references or pseudo-science talk isn't meant for us.

Prove it. Last time I checked, the majority of nerds like sci-fi.

At least we have Inception as a hallmark: but then again, it's from a well-known director who's cut his teeth in action. Something as obscure as Pilgrim is bound to go on the wayside.

Rigs83:

Pipotchi:

Hubilub:
I could barely finish watching this review. Took a lot of strength.

I can't believe Bob this week. We are obedient sheep because we go see one of the biggest collaboration films this decade instead of watching a film that was barely advertised in many places? We are the worst kind of people on earth because we like the premise that a movie will be an homage to 80s action films?

He dropped the ball on this review. Insulting a film is one thing, insulting someone for liking it is another, but insulting people for thinking the premise sounds like a fun idea?. That's a new low. I won't even go into how much I disagree with you on the quality of the film.

For someone who tries to hinder people from being elitist nerds, you are one of the biggest elitist nerds I've seen in quite a while.

Also this,

Also Movie Bob keeps holding up Equilibrium when talking about better action movies, that movie was utter twaddle pure over stylised matrix clone waffle. Even metacritic has it lower than the Expendables

Here is a better review.

It was not as a great film that those with rose tinted glasses claim it to be. The gunkata was awful and completely contrary to what real kata is about. The philosophical elements were pretty base level and derivitive. The visual style wasn't much better. It was enjoyable and I've seen it thrice, and the last time was pretty eye opening.

I must say, I'm surprised.
I was gonna go watch this movie, and as much as I don't like the idea of obeying a review, I think I might go for "Despicable Me" instead, which was my other option anyway. I mean, I don't think I've heard Movie Bob be so angry. It's that bad huh?
Well, I've agreed with most of your opinions thus far, so I guess I'll trust you on this one Bob.

Oh yes, yes, Bob, yes, indulge me, tell me I was right, louder, oh yes...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 34 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here