Escape to the Movies: Dungeons & Dragons

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I watched that Syfy D&D movie, I thought it was okay... course it was a Syfy movie, and had all the elements of such, cheap and campy...

I actually paid to see the D&D movie when it came out.
It was terrible. Though we enjoyed making fun of it the whole way through. The Scifi sequel (it was still scifi channel back then) is slightly more tolerable.

Um I think you forgot about Eragon. I know one of the clerics domains is travel, and Eragon's character is based off the dragon rider class listed here.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc

And the author is an confessed to writing the books based off of his own dnd games.

The second D&D movie, Wrath of the Dragon God, was actually pretty decent for a SyFy original. It has an even lower budget than the first and the special effects definitely reflect that, and the plot's pretty unmemorable. But the actors actually play their roles with sincerity and empathy, which goes a long way. And Bruce Payne with his purple lipstick and scenery-chewing are thankfully relegated to the bookends of the film. Not a great film by any means, but worth a look.

unacomn:
Apart from the awesome youtube The Gamers series(not to be confused with a feature film by the same name that was crap), there is a really good adaptation of Dungeons and Dragons, in the form of anime. It's called Slayers. Now, it may not call itself an adaptation of dungeons and dragons, but it's about as D&D inspired you can get without it taking place in Forgotten realms.

I remember reading an article on sword & sorcery anime years ago, with the best line being:

"While Record of Lodoss War is what every DM wishes his D&D campaign could be, Slayers is probably closer to how your campaign actually is."

On that note, Lodoss War, especially the original OAV, is close to being a D&D adaptation, since it was based on the authors' own original campaign setting.

Great overview episode. It's painful, but hilarious, to see Jeremy Irons overacting in the first D&D movie especially knowing him from works like Dead Ringers.

I actually watched that fucking thing more than once

Heh bender game was problematic if you ask me, it seemed they wanted to make a movie about energy at first that centered around the professor and mum, but for some reason or another they decided to plug in the DND stuff at the end

Perhaps Bob should review the futurama movies in a future installement

I loved the Futurama films and the Riddick films.

The reason for the lack of "Dungeons & Dragons" films I think is proberly laziness (as Bob said). Have you seen the D&D section at Forbidden Planet? Theres so much of it, ITS F'ING HUUUUUUUUUGE.

Syfy films rock heheheheh.

Also, how good does the "Monsterpocalypse" film look?!

flaming_squirrel:
Wait, vin diesel likes D&D?

I'm not sure what to say, my mind has imploded.

He was also a WoW player.

monsterapocolipse movie, the game didnt do well

Eukaryote:
Well they could make a live action Dragonlance movie, but it would probably be just as bad as the animated version.

Yeah, it's probably best Bob didn't bring up that cinematic abortion.

Eukaryote:
Also, why was Takhisis fighting those kids and not immediately obliterating them?

In 1st edition AD&D, Tiamat only had about 72 hit points, and wouldn't survive an encounter with a mid-level party equipped with powerful magic items.

Also, those kids fought her enemy Venger every other episode, so it was probably to her advantage to keep them around in the hopes they'd get rid of him.

The Root Beer Guy:
I actually enjoyed Wrath of the Dragon God. Then again, I don't play DnD.

I play D&D and it's the one that actually had the feel of an actual campaign.

BTW Bob, if you want to get into D&D, now's the time to do it. The majority of the irritating math that was in 2nd ed has been stripped away as of now. You could probably get into it really well should you find a good group.

What? No review for The Town?
The hell, Bob? I thought you loved Gone Baby Gone.

You would think someone out there would pick something up off of the Forgotten Realms shelf. I mean, how many novels are there? Seriously. Even Dragonlance. I mean, the source material is out there...I just think it is laziness to do the research to do it right. Or hell, just to even do it.

Jaranja:

flaming_squirrel:
Wait, vin diesel likes D&D?

I'm not sure what to say, my mind has imploded.

He was also a WoW player.

At least WoW is slightly less far down the pit of geekdom, DnD's getting pretty near the bottom.

He just doesnt seem like the type to be into that sort of thing, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's almost comforting in an odd way..

Actually guy they recently had there first big tournament called monster smack down or something? Considering that its actually fairly new in table top gaming terms thats quite impressive.

Was not expecting this! I was thinking he would do Devil, but no... awesome nonetheless, mind. also... what character class is Mr Diesel? I'm betting some form of fighter/barbarian....

Naheal:

The Root Beer Guy:

I play D&D and it's the one that actually had the feel of an actual campaign.

BTW Bob, if you want to get into D&D, now's the time to do it. The majority of the irritating math that was in 2nd ed has been stripped away as of now. You could probably get into it really well should you find a good group.

How about the "Hit it with my axe" team, they seem...... nice. Im sure they would let you play if you asked nicely.

The Root Beer Guy:

I played a little D&D for a short time until the paperwork became to overwhelming for me to keep up with. That being said, Wrath of the Dragon God is possibly the best anyone can hope for in a D&D film.

When you're talking about Dungeon and Dragon films, you're technically referring to swords and sorcery, of which there are decent films available. Go take a look at Conan the Barbarian, and Dragon Slayer.

If one is not too set upon "magic," then they can also take a look some of the classic Hollywood films that involve either Robin Hood or medieval knights of one variety or another.

This will be put on my back-burner to make.

Jack Tompson making a video game movie? Hiliarious.

Jack Tompson, teaming up with Michael Atkinson to write a video game movie? God help us all.

Man, it must be a bad week for movies if Bob is talking about failed D&D movies. D&D is just a system. The books it inspired might make decent movies, but a movie of the Game System itself is like making a movie about Microsoft Windows, or Facebook... oh wait, Hollywood IS that desperate. Carry on.

nilus2k:
I never understood the whole D&D is hard because of math thing. Its just adding and subtracting, no one is asking you to do Calculus.

Yes, it should be that simple, but most people I've played just won't let it be so and will argue how the numbers should be crunched. Number crunching is especially unpleasant when the rules are subject to interpretation. EDIT: 4th Ed D&D did a good job stripping away most of the nuances, if you can get a group together that doesn't want to argue details.

It's truly sad that the SyFy Dungeons and Dragons is better than the original movie. Not that it's hard to beat the original, it's just sad that a channel that thrives on bottom of the barrel movies did a better job.

standokan:
And again i get kicked in the face for not being able to play DnD, it just saddens how i can't and probably won't play Dungeons and Dragons ever.

You and me brother, you and me....

Although my story may be more pathetic: I'm good with numbers, always loved the idea of D&D, but in my country no one sells them... + I don't know enough people interested to play D&D to form a decent party...
I'm just sad now... I'l just log off and hope that some day I may have the chance to play some table top D&D...

BlueInkAlchemist:

Eldan:
The only true D&D movies are "The Gamers" and "The Gamers II: Dorkness Rising". Every fan knows that.

I am really, really surprised that Bob didn't even mention either of those films. Because they're awesome.

Hell, I reviewed the second one. In these very forums, no less.

I like to read your review(Titles) for movie choices, after you sugggested Gamers dorkness rising it became my favorite flim of all time(Comdey film).

OT: Sorry movie bob, DnD got its chance its time for some other game to make some god awful movie.

Battleship the Movie ? WAT !?

wait wtf, how do you make a movie out of Battleship? O.O

slow week, eh Bob?

Wrath of the Dragon God was in 2005, and it was exactly how a solid, nearly epic-level character DnD campaign played out, with all the archetypes involved. It seemed a little bare sometimes because of an underuse of music but I really enjoyed that film.

If done properly a Warcraft movie would be epic. Not a World of Warcraft movie though. The Warcraft universe has so much potential. Something staring Thrall kicking ass would be awesome

A movie could be done about the Drizzt Saga, but so help any one who tries and fails. If done wrong, they would be slain.

DTWolfwood:
wait wtf, how do you make a movie out of Battleship? O.O

A fleet undergoing an extensive training/parade is suddenly transported to an alternate dimension. There, omnipotent and amoral god-creatures separates the crews into teams and methodically play on their fears to turn them on each other and fight to their deaths for their amusement?

dfphetteplace:
A movie could be done about the Drizzt Saga, but so help any one who tries and fails. If done wrong, they would be slain.

Well to much story for just a movie, it had to be cut and cut and cut and noone would like that.. Plus, the most of it would be just about the Drow; To specific for a broad audience. But it would be cool.
Something like the Baldurs Gate story would be nice, it introduces you softly, then the action begins. And the immersion is easier with a surface dwelling protagonist.

The Root Beer Guy:

I've been playing DnD for 10 years, and I enjoyed Wrath of the Dragon God. Sure, it was poorly acted, had some terribad special effects, and a dodgy plot at best (How does one 'trap' a god of Decay and Undeath using ELEMENTAL forces? Why did the Turanians (who use elemental magic) worship Obad-Hai rather than, I don't know, the ACTUAL god of magic and knowledge, Boccob?), but the action was good, and the encounters they faced definitely FELT like DnD.

For example

By no means a good movie, but not a travesty like the first one.

I mean, For FUCK'S sake, there was a BEHOLDER sitting in BROAD daylight. Did these people not look at their source material at all? Beholders inhabit subterranean caves, and almost NEVER leave.

dfphetteplace:

Absolutely NOT. The Drizzt saga is horrible: Drizzt has got to be one of the worst written characters in R.A. Salvatore's collection.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54305)