Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 18 NEXT

NFITC1:
*SPOILERS*

To be fair, you find "the deleter" (stupid name) in the room where the non-Samus blond girl explains the whole Mother Brain thing. You go there later and you see that girl killed him before he could kill her.

*END SPOILERS*

Storywriting tip: Closing down a plot point off camera and then never referring to it again is not developing that plot point to it's natural conclusion. Checkhov's Gun should not be discharged during the intermission and then never commented upon by any characters in the play.

Aiddon:

epsilon246:

Axolotl:

epsilon246:
When phazon is invloved nothing makes sense, and a planet blowing up is more than a few degrees! Have you played super metroid? The explosion was gigantic. Samus says in the begining Ridley was gone without trace and that she believed it was over. In the article in which a veteren suffers from ptsd watched the scene he said that barbeques cause him to have attacks now but he still has them every so often. Samus has ptsd; this is cannon she can fight it if she's ready, like that veteran, she can fight it and battle. But she wasn't ready to fight ridley and that is why she panict (why can't i spell that right now?).

But why does she have PTSD now? Why did she show no trace of it the other times she fough Ridley? As someone else said it would make sense if Ridley got PTSD but Samus has killed Ridley so many times now it should be virtually routine for her. I mean how would people react if Batman suddenly started whimpering and crying when he see the Joker?

I thin the main reason people are angry is that Samus has always historically been used in debates to show that Videogames aren't misogynistic, but after Other M that arguement doesn't hold up.

The other times Samus knew (or at least suspected) she was going to have to fight Ridley. So she was ready, also the encounters were months apart atleast. In the manga Samus did break down when she saw Ridley again, but with the help of the chozo recovered and was ready for him the next time they faught (zero mission). As for batman that was only in the first film, we know how that turned out.

I don't really think it is misogynistic. Samus is devoted to Adam? Her parents were killed when she was a child and she sees him as a father, the script was written by a Japanese man and in japan respect for your elders is normal. She doesn't do anything unless told to? 1: she is part of a military mission and is former military so she is aware hat fllowing orders is essential, 2: Adam is her client and she is obeying the wishes of her client like a proffeshional.

Like Bob said, I think this game has revealed some VERY troubling ideas of what a lot of gamers and even game critics/commentators ACTUALLY think about gender in gaming. Samus doesn't present herself as Gordon Freeman with boobs nor is she a Commander Shepard who, let's face facts, is a Gary Stu/Mary Sue in EVERY sense of the term. She instead is portrayed as a troubled soul who has all kinds of insecurities, doubts, and fears and despite (and indeed possibly BECAUSE of those) she overcomes her adversities and grows. I can't really name a LOT of heroines in gaming that have been portrayed like that, especially in recent memory.

The advantage of a story heavy game really you can really show the charecters evolve. And yes it is worrying what people percieve when it come to gender.

Special episode...

Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock is released that day xD

epsilon246:

The space pirates were still around to revive him after prime, they wern't after super metroid
I don't think you get what ptsd is, and she was never caught of guard in the prime games and in previous encounters there wasn't really the technoligy to show it was there?

There are Space Pirates in Fusion. So clearly there are more of them after Super Metroid. And in Prime 3 Ridley gets disintegrated.

Also:

This to you is not "caught off guard". Ridley appears ready to attack and immediately dives at Samus.

Lordofthesuplex:

Everybody's wrong and you're right. That seems to be the major problem with guys like you. Well, that and saying "myopinionmyopinionmyopinion" because even you can't make salient arguments, and are stuck with "Here, let me lie unashamedly about the content of the game. No sexism cuz I say so. Samus is not a paralyzed husk of uterus cuz I say so. See? Stop trusting your own senses while playing!"
Rule #1 of Nintendo (and/or Final Fantasy) fandom: Never trust your own experiences playing a game. The hive-mind knows all and anyone who doesn't like the game is biased and doesn't get it and etc etc etc.

Ain't you a hypocrite? Sounds to me you're just as self-righteous as you claim I am.

Oh and "never trust your own experiences playing a game"? What logic does that make? Isn't that what an opinion is?

Don't call me part of a collective hive mind when you're the one acting like an emotionless robot. You're just convincing me more and more that people here think whatever Yahtzee tells them to think.

You've got the fever bad, little boy.
You whine that I'm not throwing a bitch fit like you and then you ignore that I've pointed out multiple times how foolish people like you look when you cry "Boohoo everyone agrees with Yahtzee so that MUST MEEN THER JUST THINKN WUT HE TELLZ THEM TO THINK", especially considering how bad the rabid Nintendo fandom has you convinced that any bad game Nintendo puts out is gold.
Face it: More people hate this game that like it, and the ones who love it can't muster up any reason other than "Waaaaah! You're all stupid!" If you can't admit to it having any faults, at least do us the favor of not crying about what meanies everyone else is.

But I see my "Rule #1" flew so far over your head, I couldn't get you to understand it if I was here all night, but go back and read it again, and then think about how you've been acting. You might start to understand it. (And if you don't, ask Admitted Nintendo Fanboy Who You Don't Believe is a Fanboy Because You're So Far Beyond Help Bobbie to tell you.)

Great Episode! I thought the concept of 2D-3D metroid was interesting but after I heard the voice acting, the varia suit bullshit, and the whole breaking down and crying thing cause of Ridely just pissed me off. I might barrow if from a friend but buying is out of the question. Everything Yahtzee is accurate, i would rather go play Metroid Prime again.

On another note, Special ZP this Friday you say? I wanna say it's a review of Reach but I bet their saving it for another day which stinks cause I really want to see what he will tear up. Can't Wait!

1. The Space Pirates in Fusion are X parasites copying them

2. Ridley's status in the Corruption is listed as MIA

Pandora92:
You just summed up exactly why I'm steering well clear of the game, Samus always just worked as a silent protagonist in the same way that Gordan Freeman does, giving her a voice was dodgy enough without doing it in such a plain and overdone way with a boring stereotypical story. :|

I also see the Half-Life style in Metroid Prime. Cutscenes are succintly used to open and close the story, and announce a boss battle or key item pickup. It let you enjoy the ambiance and music of the game world. Samus' personality comes out best through the gameplay itself, showing her as a strong and confident combatant, witha caring side, as shown in Echoes where she closes the eyes of a dead soldier.

haven't played it but now i dont want to ^_^

GloatingSwine:

epsilon246:

The space pirates were still around to revive him after prime, they wern't after super metroid
I don't think you get what ptsd is, and she was never caught of guard in the prime games and in previous encounters there wasn't really the technoligy to show it was there?

There are Space Pirates in Fusion. So clearly there are more of them after Super Metroid. And in Prime 3 Ridley gets disintegrated.

Also:

This to you is not "caught off guard". Ridley appears ready to attack and immediately dives at Samus.

You like to say distintergrated don't you? Also who says the pirates in fusion aren't clones themselves? and those are X-parasites anyway. Samus faught Ridley a few months before, it's not a leap to suspect the pirates might try to revive him so it could come down to a hunch.

These are the facts: samus has ptsd, ridley is the source of that ptsd, samus believed ridley to be dead for good, Ridley's appearance caught samus by suprise and led to a ptsd attack.

epsilon246:

GloatingSwine:

epsilon246:

Also:

You like to say distintergrated don't you? Also who says the pirates in fusion aren't clones themselves? and those are X-parasites anyway. Samus faught Ridley a few months before, it's not a leap to suspect the pirates might try to revive him so it could come down to a hunch.

These are the facts: samus has ptsd, ridley is the source of that ptsd, samus believed ridley to be dead for good, Ridley's appearance caught samus by suprise and led to a ptsd attack.

*sigh* Thank you. That was perfect.
You crammed that desperate fan theory down our throats as gospel truth (again) without any more explanation that "cuz she does" and completely discounted the exact thing you just saw with your own eyes so you could better ignore someone else's arguments: Samus being "caught by surprise" and not ovulating into her codpiece in terror.

Lordofthesuplex:

Nomanslander:

Moviebob would like it because it's not an FPS and it's an exclusive Wii title, asking him what he thinks is like asking this guy what he would think:

If MovieBob is a Nintendo Fanboy, then what the FUCK is Yahtzee? And if you say creditable then that just proves you're a hypocrite, an elitist, a ZP fanboy who dreams of sucking Yahtzee's cock and above all a hack just like that bitter drunken Aussie piece of dogshit. As I've said in the discussion regarding IGN's little flame-war magnet "Killing Samus", MovieBob is ten times the gaming expert Yahtzee ever will become! And this review proves it!

This was nothing but Yahtzee regurgitating not only his biased anti-Nintendo smear campaign like always but the same stupid ass complaints about non-existent control problems, sexism, and character derailment that X-Play started up in the first place. So yeah, Yahtzee's pretty much lowered himself to the same level as the lowest form of video game journalism and I hope he fucking proud of himself for doing it. It just only cost him any chance at ever being labeled a human again.

It's flat out stunning that you would be proud of talking about a flame war, much less having actively participated in it, to the point where you come onto other threads to bash people who refuse to conform to your beliefs, if they could read them through your vast array of petty insults that is. If it is possible for you to rely intelligibly, then explain why Bob is right, Yahtzee is wrong, instead of screaming at everything you see.

GloatingSwine:

JediMB:

The Prime games don't really count.

There's only your sayso for that. The clear production intent is for all of the Metroid games to take place on one timeline. Different visual design in the Federation troops is not enough to base a continuity break on, most military forces have quite a number of different systems which do similar jobs, and that's even within one branch of a service.

Word of god states the Prime trilogy as canon.

Ignore it if you want, but it's still a true part of Samus' story. And hey, Nintendo forcibly canonized Prime, maybe they can denounce Other M...

epsilon246:

And as noted this is bullshit because it is out of character with previous presentations of the character of Samus. Inconsistent character portrayal of this type is bad storytelling (to go with all of the other bad storytelling in Other M), and your rationalisations do not save it from being so.

Loved the impersonation of the voice acting and shi--WAIT there's a special episode this Friday???

WHHHHUUUUUUUUUUT?

Warachia:

Lordofthesuplex:

Nomanslander:

Moviebob would like it because it's not an FPS and it's an exclusive Wii title, asking him what he thinks is like asking this guy what he would think:

If MovieBob is a Nintendo Fanboy, then what the FUCK is Yahtzee? And if you say creditable then that just proves you're a hypocrite, an elitist, a ZP fanboy who dreams of sucking Yahtzee's cock and above all a hack just like that bitter drunken Aussie piece of dogshit. As I've said in the discussion regarding IGN's little flame-war magnet "Killing Samus", MovieBob is ten times the gaming expert Yahtzee ever will become! And this review proves it!

This was nothing but Yahtzee regurgitating not only his biased anti-Nintendo smear campaign like always but the same stupid ass complaints about non-existent control problems, sexism, and character derailment that X-Play started up in the first place. So yeah, Yahtzee's pretty much lowered himself to the same level as the lowest form of video game journalism and I hope he fucking proud of himself for doing it. It just only cost him any chance at ever being labeled a human again.

It's flat out stunning that you would be proud of talking about a flame war, much less having actively participated in it, to the point where you come onto other threads to bash people who refuse to conform to your beliefs, if they could read them through your vast array of petty insults that is. If it is possible for you to rely intelligibly, then explain why Bob is right, Yahtzee is wrong, instead of screaming at everything you see.

Chill. He's just pining for Nintendo's heyday, when the stories could fit on a napkin and everything was so much more simple. (Before we had to start completely throwing our beloved mascots under the bus just to excuse poor writing like poor not-a-badass Samus)

His special episode comes out the same day as the international release of Civ 5.
What do you guys think?

sacredwolf82:
His special episode comes out the same day as the international release of Civ 5.
What do you guys think?

He doesn't like strategy games, remember?

mr_rubino:

epsilon246:

GloatingSwine:

epsilon246:

Also:

*sigh* Thank you. That was perfect.
You crammed that desperate fan theory down our throats as gospel truth (again) without any more explanation that "cuz she does" and completely discounted the exact thing you just saw with your own eyes so you could better ignore someone else's arguments: Samus being "caught by surprise" and not ovulating into her codpiece in terror.

You know something take a look at this http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/81909/ptsd-or-weakness-real-experts-on-why-samus-didnt-shoot/ a real veteren and expert have stated that this is ptsd looks like, you want a reason this is the first time in a game? This is the first time metroid has been so story heavy. This is the time they chose to play samus' ptsd. Samus is emotional scarred and ptsd is an illness she has as a result. She was already under alot of mental stress as a result of the baby metroid ridley's appearence was just the last push.

sacredwolf82:
What do you guys think?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.234132-Yahtzee-Leaving-the-Escapist-Reviewing

BlueInkAlchemist:

Snake Plissken:
I was really hoping that the "Check out my screw attack" comment wasn't just a reference to Metroid. I was sincerely hoping there was something at screwattack. Sad day

There is. And it comes to us from none other than MovieBob.

I give you the Game OverThinker.

Yeah, I watched that last night. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I meant Yahtzee on screwattack, specifically.

I guess that's why silent protagonists should remain silent: When you get them talking they'll never shut the fuck up.

Lordofthesuplex:

solidstatemind:
Wow. Molten Rivers of Flame Galore!

I never would've thought it.

As always, Yahtzee's review was delightful, insightful, and positively spiteful... of course, that's what I'm looking for- entertainment- since I absolutely would not ever take his advice on whether or not a game is worth purchasing. He has way to many biases.

Y'know what? You're right. Yahtzee pretty much put this up at the worst time: right after I subjected myself to IGN's cheap attempt at gaining views yesterday. I'm just going to close this forum window out for a day or two and maybe come back after I've let this whole thing blow over.

Still I stand by my opinion: Yahtzee pretty much lowered himself to IGN and X-Play's levels what they call "entertainment" and I hope he's damn proud of himself for sinking that low.

Ignore him. He's the typical Paragon of Independent Thinking (TM) who's angry that people agree with Yahtzee that, quite simply, "Bad game is bad". Just look at this kid throwing his impotent temper tantrum in every post. The stink of the Nintendo fanboy is all over every cliche in his post.

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. I'm just sick of people complaining about a console I like sucks for the most ignorant reasons. The fact that Yahtzee has yet to directly insult Microsoft and the 360 doesn't change that.

Here's a fun fact for you: Yahtzee has ALWAYS been at that level of making fun of items, and tearing them apart. He's been doing it for the past I think 6 years since he had his own website. The difference is he explains his reasoning, and is easily the best in his business

Mr. Shoggoth:

Tharticus:

I'm glad that Spoony and Sean Malstrom hated other M. And like Spoony said, I don't think Metroid series will survive after this.

Sean Malstrom is an idiot strawman with only illogical hatred for the world around him who claims to know what makes Metroid good even if he has bashed Zero Mission, Fusion and Super Metroid in the most illogical way possible. Also, he thinks "Metroid should be a trippy game where you kill Metroids!"
Also, even if he has a point here and there, he is a horribly boring writer. Don't give this man any more attention.

And while I really like Spoony because he is funny and one of the most entertaining web reviewers, he didn't even play the game through and really overreacted.

I don't mind people hating on Other M, but at least do it with some actual reasoning.

My question is who is this Spoony I keep reading about here, why do their opinions matter so much and on top of that, why should I care what this Spoony person says? Is he some kind of industry insider? I ask this with no malice towards them, I just have no idea who they are.

OT: I liked the game better than Prime, but the Prime games were just Nintendo trying a "family friendly FPS" IMO and I just can't get into 1st person games for some reason. Plus, Samus has never been written as a real character, so her portrayel here is the first time they tried any real characteristics other than bas ass action grrrrl. Hell, if a person didn't know better and only played the 2D ones without finishing them (well, the 1st one anyway) they would think it's just another action game where you play a robot.

I liked the game personally, but I totally agree that the story was pretty much terrible.
The game does have some issues with the first person mode, and the difficulty isn't as high as it could have been, but combat in it of it's self was fairly enjoyable (at least until you get the one ability that pretty much can kill all enemies in one hit. Second thought, there are two abilities that can do that, but you only need one. . .)

EDIT: I was also surprised by how Team Ninja handled Samus, but I definitely could tell that they took a little too much joy in showing her in her zero suit. Oh, and the narration sucked. Also, it was weird how Samus wasn't the "bad ass" she is in all the other games and during combat. I'm sure everybody gets emotional when they meet their long lost father figure, but considering what she's been through, you'd think she'd at least be a little more. . . independent.

RagingScottsman:
Brilliant as always Yahtzee. I had my suspicions about this game to begin with.

I think that for me it was the creativity of the title.

Funny review Yahtzee. I'm glad you didn't turn this into another Wii bash fest. Judging by pretty much every other review out there, you didn't have to work hard finding flaws. From what I've seen, the story and voice acting do look bad. And not being able to wear a Varia suit while your surrounded by lava is stupid, no matter how you look at it. But the gameplay itself does look genuinely fun. Even if it does lack the joy of finding new powerups. Are there still missile and energy upgrades to find, though? Anyway, I've been on the fence on buying this game, and I've decided to just wait till the price goes down to around 25 dollars and buy it then. While it may not warrant 50 bucks, I don't think it should be THAT terrible

the gameplay was okay, but the story was total ass, and they destroyed Samus as a character

i mean can you imagine if a Halo game had Master Chief piss his pants when he saw an elite and need rescue by some random marine? what the hell, femshep is officially more brave than Samus

Axolotl:

epsilon246:
When phazon is invloved nothing makes sense, and a planet blowing up is more than a few degrees! Have you played super metroid? The explosion was gigantic. Samus says in the begining Ridley was gone without trace and that she believed it was over. In the article in which a veteren suffers from ptsd watched the scene he said that barbeques cause him to have attacks now but he still has them every so often. Samus has ptsd; this is cannon she can fight it if she's ready, like that veteran, she can fight it and battle. But she wasn't ready to fight ridley and that is why she panict (why can't i spell that right now?).

But why does she have PTSD now? Why did she show no trace of it the other times she fough Ridley? As someone else said it would make sense if Ridley got PTSD but Samus has killed Ridley so many times now it should be virtually routine for her.

Because fighting Ridley ain't the traumatic part. Remember, this is after Super Metroid, in which Samus lost both the Hatchling she had come to care for (the entire reason she came back there), and her second childhood home, possibly all in the space of a single day.

Ridley was just a symptom. The straw that broke the camel's back. "This was supposed to be over. I slaughtered the Space Pirates. I killed Ridley. I completely destroyed Mother Brain. The whole damn planet, my home, blew up. WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE?"

I thin the main reason people are angry is that Samus has always historically been used in debates to show that Videogames aren't misogynistic, but after Other M that arguement doesn't hold up.

How is Other M Misogynistic? This what is meant by overreaction.

5 minuet video tearing a game apart saying its horrid.
links to places where you can purchase the game online.....

:V

I continue to stress that the only time Samus' character ever had some sort of development was at the end of Metroid II, where she couldn't bring herself to kill the last baby Metroid because it thought Samus was it's mom, eventually leading to the events of Super Metroid so "free independent spirit" seems to be a little out of context. For all we know, that was the only thing that kept Samus from being a complete blank page, with Other M being the single time her character has even come close to third-dimensional. I mean, just because she's a badass that hunts aliens for a living doesn't mean she's also human.
Also, I think there is a point to the monotony of her voice: for the most part it's not dialogue with other characters and more of a monologue inside her head. Kinda reminds me of Max Payne or Guy Pearce's character in Memento (the monologuing, that is).

I haven't played the game but, based on everything I've seen and heard about it, I imagine I would have the same reaction. Sure maybe it wasn't really spelled out in the previous games what sort of personality Samus really did have, but when her character is pretty much agreed upon by every single Metroid fan I think that still holds a lot of weight. Either the turns shown in Other M are a major break in Samus' characterization or Nintendo just knowingly and willingly bitchslapped everyone who had been a fan of her before. Which is worse is up to you.

Anyway, I've noticed one thing of interest based purely on reading comments about the game. I'm finding it hilarious that the majority of people who are defending the game label it as a Nintendo title, but many who have complaints are often pushing the angle that it was actually made by Team Ninja. Team Ninja may have a history of objectifying their characters, but most of their female leads are actually fairly strong women and they are known for quality action titles. I'm failing to see where having to integrate the Wiimote, something that definitely hurts the action gameplay, and (depending on who you ask) making Samus a weak subservient female character falls under something Team Ninja would do given their history.

Boy... I can't Wait until Team-Ninja gets around to releasing "Devil May Cry : Generic Teenage Emo Smoker" --maybe THEN some crazed (but loyal) Fan might actually consent to putting Tameem Antoniades's ass out of existence ...maybe some Bald chap wearing a business-suit with a bar-code tattooed on the back of his Neck O..

Perhaps this isn't my place to argue, given I've played a whole three hours collectively of any and all Metroid games ever made, but this outside perspective may have some merit.

Now if Metroid's wiki page is to be believed Samus has been running and gunning across the galaxy for some ten to fifteen years, most of which solo. And given that there's been a regular new Metroid title released, I can assume the collection of big bad guys killed has steadily increased. Also coupled with the fact that at least as far as I can read into things Samus has never particularly had any issue lighting up her threats with lethal force. Now has she ever really expressed any doubt about herself or her abilities, again as far as I can see from the outside.

Taking all that into consideration, to hear that this latest title prominently features character aspects that have Samus locked in fear and doubt and some levels of character dependency of others. All this just seems out of place, and from my perspective looks like a bastardization of the character.

Argue what you will fans about how all these aspects of Samus's character are true and just burred beneath the skin. It still feels weird and to a negative considering the stark contrast of character to the previous titles.

Now with all this in mind, I can understand why a fan would be royally irked about Other M. Furthermore I would agree to the argument that Other M is one of the weakest iterations of the series.

All he did was spout the same thing that people have been spouting on the internet since the game's release. IMHO moviebob made a much better argument about Other M on screwattack than Yahtzee did in this video. Overall fairly meh, he sounded more like a troll than a critic.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here